In Defense of Flogging

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
Alias
Favorite Philosopher: Terry Pratchett

Re: In Defense of Flogging

Post by Alias »

I stand corrected.

So, um --- no flogging except for child-beaters?
Those who can induce you to believe absurdities can induce you to commit atrocities. - Voltaire
Alias

Post by Alias »

Why there is punishment and what we want to achieve with it:

Revenge and retaliation: Crime must not pay.
Deterrence: By punishing prevent it from happening again and prevent others from doing it.
Prevention of own direction: The government punishes and not the citizens.
Resocialization: (= re-education) Improving the behavior by punishment.
Security of society: Protecting society against repetition.
A list in another language can still be incorrect.

Revenge and retaliation are not identical (hence 'and'). Revenge is inflicted by a person who has been hurt or wronged or deprived of something, to appease his anger. Retaliation is striking back - personal or societal - against an attack; it can be equal to the attack or more forceful.
Neither means "Crime must not pay". Hurting the criminal is unnecessary to achieve that goal: it's enough to take away the ill-gotten gains and prevent the wrongdoer from achieving whatever objective motivated the crime.
For example, if a student is caught cheating on an exam, she automatically fails; does not benefit from the crime.
Whatever extra punishment is added, it's for some other purpose.

Resocialization and education are never achieved through punishment.
Arjen
Favorite Philosopher: Immanuel Kant

Post by Arjen »

Alias wrote: January 22nd, 2019, 6:07 pm I stand corrected.

So, um --- no flogging except for child-beaters?
Child beaters definitely deserve a good flogging and some education on how to raise children.
I do think that in some cases corporeal punishment is a deterrent, but I think for long term purposes, it might not work so well. Just like beating children has an adverse effect. But, the argument in the OP was that criminals might prefer a flogging. I say that this depends on the severity and duration of the flogging as relating to the duration of the incarceration.
Alias wrote: January 22nd, 2019, 9:57 pm Revenge and retaliation are not identical (hence 'and'). Revenge is inflicted by a person who has been hurt or wronged or deprived of something, to appease his anger. Retaliation is striking back - personal or societal - against an attack; it can be equal to the attack or more forceful.
Neither means "Crime must not pay". Hurting the criminal is unnecessary to achieve that goal: it's enough to take away the ill-gotten gains and prevent the wrongdoer from achieving whatever objective motivated the crime.
For example, if a student is caught cheating on an exam, she automatically fails; does not benefit from the crime.
Whatever extra punishment is added, it's for some other purpose.

Resocialization and education are never achieved through punishment.
I agree, but society still demands revenge.
And, no punishment is also a bad thing in a society.
It would make crime pay, after all.
Judaka

Post by Judaka »

That is what you said and you just did t again
Once again, no. That flogging is not as great of a deterrent or as good at satisying the victims and relatives, it has many diffeences you haven't talked about yet.

It's cheaper by an extreme margin to flog people.
Prisons can serve as "prison schools" which educate people on how to commit further crime.
Harm can come to you in prison which was not part of your sentence, this cannot happen in flogging.
Flogging allows the criminal to immediately attempt to re-enter society constructively.

The way I might argue for flogging, why would that require me to use your list of differences? I've only talked about two things in this thread, why flogging might be more immoral than prison and about your list of comparisons. There is no need to jump to conclusions at my expense when all I've done is point out things which are correct in accordance with both your and my understanding.

Now comparing flogging vs prison of 3-4 years might have some merit but because I know so little about flogging and its effects, I can't really have an intelligent discussion about something so specific.
Alias

Post by Alias »

Arjen wrote: January 23rd, 2019, 4:04 pm [Resocialization and education are never achieved through punishment.]

I agree, but society still demands revenge.
Are you sure? Who speaks for "society" and how do you know it's representative of what people want?
When asked about this on a poll, are the respondents presented with better alternatives?
And, no punishment is also a bad thing in a society. It would make crime pay, after all.
As pointed out above, taking away the fruits of criminal acts is sufficient to keep crime from paying.
Anything inflicted on the miscreant beyond that is simply to make him suffer.
Whatever form that suffering takes is entirely without a useful product. It may cost society little or much, but it's never a net gain:

Even if the prisoners are put to work making mailbags, uniforms and license plates, a prison is far more expensive to maintain than a factory.
Nor do the people who feel angry over the crime get any satisfaction from the suffering, since it takes place behind high walls: their 'revenge' is purely theoretical, carried out by people with no emotional stake in the matter (unless they're sadists, in which case, they benefit unfairly). Society does not gain many reformed criminals in the productive work-force: the job training is inadequate and employers are mostly unwilling to hire them; after some kinds of crime, they can't even find a place to live. So they're either a drain on the welfare system, or commit more crimes to survive.
Most of the justifications are bogus.
And when you think about the victimless crimes, and "crimes" that are the result of outlawing normal human behaviour, society has nothing to gain - not even a petty pleasure at someone's misfortune - by punishing them.

The real reason is superstition. It's in the Bible or Quran or some damn book full of a god's wrath at being disobeyed.
If we seriously wanted to reduce crime, we could find more intelligent, more effective ways.
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

Alias wrote: January 23rd, 2019, 8:34 pm Are you sure? Who speaks for "society" and how do you know it's representative of what people want?
When asked about this on a poll, are the respondents presented with better alternatives?
With society, in this case I meant the people in it. I will just give a literary example:

If you prick us, do we not bleed?
if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison
us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not
revenge?

Believe it or not, people want revenge.
As pointed out above, taking away the fruits of criminal acts is sufficient to keep crime from paying.
It is not.
1) It is a hard thing to figure out just how much a thief has stolen over the years.
2) People spend what they steal.
==> Conclusion, it cannot be taken away.

In different situations, like sexual crimes, there is no taking away at all.

But most of all, even in the simple case of a 1 time theft, taking that away without punishment sends the message that it is ok to commit a crime, because you will never be the lesser for it. And if you are not caught, you take the bounty of the crime. So, reasons to commit crime suddenly abound.

I want to ask you if you are a parent?
Being a parent changed my perspective.
I do not punish harshly, but my son certainly doesn't like being sent to his room.
I need it to end a situation and to show him things went too far.
Then, I let him think there a little while.
And then I talk with him about what happened.
There are times the he really doesn't want to listen or stop whatever he is breaking.
He is 5, so I am not worried, but it does show what people can be like.
I just thought that might help you understand a little bit more.
The saying that what is true in theory is not always true in practice, means that the theory is wrong!
~Immanuel Kant
Alias

Post by Alias »

Arjen wrote: January 24th, 2019, 3:57 am [Who speaks for "society" .... are the respondents presented with better alternatives?]
With society, in this case I meant the people in it. I will just give a literary example:
You asked every one? And they all quoted Shylock's speech about the humanity of Jews?
Strange. I might go so far as to say incredible.
Believe it or not, people want revenge.
Some people do; perhaps most. But they each have a notion of what that revenge should be and how they would prefer to administer it. They do not all voluntarily leave the decision and the application of revenge up to a third party.
[As pointed out above, taking away the fruits of criminal acts is sufficient to keep crime from paying.]
It is not.
1) It is a hard thing to figure out just how much a thief has stolen over the years.
2) People spend what they steal.
==> Conclusion, it cannot be taken away.

In different situations, like sexual crimes, there is no taking away at all.
Then they've already profited and you can't undo that by punishing them.
But most of all, even in the simple case of a 1 time theft, taking that away without punishment sends the message that it is ok to commit a crime, because you will never be the lesser for it.
That's a different matter from "must not pay". As i said, whatever punishment is assigned after the ill-gotten gains have been taken back is for a different reason. You simply confirmed that the reason to "send a message" to someone else; i.e. deterrence, which was listed separately.
And if you are not caught, you take the bounty of the crime. So, reasons to commit crime suddenly abound.
Nothing sudden about it. Every criminal's intention is avoid capture. If they expected to be caught, they wouldn't bother committing a crime.
I want to ask you if you are a parent?
Being a parent changed my perspective.
That doesn't answer any of the questions about justice or how a society can most effectively deal with crime.
I do not punish harshly, but my son certainly doesn't like being sent to his room.
I need it to end a situation and to show him things went too far.
Then, I let him think there a little while.
And then I talk with him about what happened.
There are times the he really doesn't want to listen or stop whatever he is breaking.
So then you take revenge by asking your neighbour to spank him or keep him in the basement for a week?
And you believe that will make him a better boy?
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

I don't think we are going to be able to come closer together in this case.
:)
The saying that what is true in theory is not always true in practice, means that the theory is wrong!
~Immanuel Kant
Alias

Post by Alias »

Okay.
Those who can induce you to believe absurdities can induce you to commit atrocities. - Voltaire
meaningful_products
New Trial Member

Post by meaningful_products »

Dorian wrote: January 15th, 2019, 2:23 pm Peter Moskos, a sociology professor at CUNY, wrote a book on incarceration in America titled In Defense of Flogging.

Readers are asked the following question: Imagine that you have been convicted of a crime and presented with the choice between serving a 10 years sentence in prison or being tied to a pole and given ten brutal lashes for your crime, which would you choose?

In the author's estimation, virtually everyone would choose the lashes over the prison sentence. I know that I would choose the lashes, and the small sample of acquaintances (n= 10 or so) felt the same way. This leads to two questions about our system of criminal justice:

1) Flogging is generally considered a brutal and inhumane form of punishment, but if people would prefer flogging to prison what does that tell us about how awful the prison system is?

2) Since, if given the option, people would choose to be flogged as an alternative to incarceration, then does it appear one can make a solid moral argument that flogging should be allowed as a form of punishment?

What do you all think?

1.) If people preferred it, then it would not be awful by definition.

2.) I distinguish optional flogging with mandatory flogging. The issue I think is whether humans have come to the opinion that optional flogging should be implemented in the prison system.
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

meaningful_products wrote: January 25th, 2019, 4:56 am 2.) I distinguish optional flogging with mandatory flogging. The issue I think is whether humans have come to the opinion that optional flogging should be implemented in the prison system.
Sounds like a sado-masochists heaven.
"I need a good whipping today master"
😂
~Immanuel Kant
athena
Premium Member

Post by athena »

LuckyR wrote: January 16th, 2019, 2:14 am
The logic flaws in your post are accentuated if you substitute "wedgey" for "flogging". Of course convicts would prefet it: because it isn't much of a punishment and does less than zero to protect the community.
What evidence do you have that flogging does less than zero to protect the community? I would bet you are wrong. I would bet flogging is very effective in changing behavior.

I remember a few years back when an American youth was sentenced to flogging in China and there was an international uproar.
The 19-year-old American who was caned in Singapore for vandalism says the bleeding it caused was "like a bloody nose."

The teen-ager, Michael P. Fay, said in an interview on Saturday that the four strokes with a rattan cane on May 5 had left three dark-brown scars on his right buttock and four lines each about half an inch wide on his left buttock.
https://www.nytimes.com/1994/06/27/us/t ... scars.html
I think there is a lot of psychological impact to this. Not just on the person who is caned but the whole community. It is a clear statement that what was done was wrong and the community will not tolerate such behavior. That social agreement is important. I bet every time the young man thought of breaking a rule he thought of the caning and decided to follow the rules because the drive to protect ourselves from harm or pain is pretty strong.

Next, it is cost effective and far more humane than what we are doing today. Our prison system is costly, ineffective and inhumane. Preventing people from having jobs and housing for life because what is in a file, as is the case in the US today, is just wrong. In my opinion, a caning and getting on with one's life is better and I would like to see some research that proves this right or wrong.
born to master the art of love
athena
Premium Member

Post by athena »

meaningful_products wrote: January 25th, 2019, 4:56 am
1.) If people preferred it, then it would not be awful by definition.

2.) I distinguish optional flogging with mandatory flogging. The issue I think is whether humans have come to the opinion that optional flogging should be implemented in the prison system.
We are in agreement that people are brutalized in our prisons, right?
Cook County Jail guard beating prisoner - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtxewSiTQ-w
Video for video prison guard beating a man▶ 1:08
Apr 20, 2016 - Uploaded by Better Government Association
Correctional officer still has job, avoids criminal charges in spite of graphic video showing him pummeling ...
In the Micheal Moore movie, "Where to Invade Next" is a similar prison video of a man being beaten that is even worse. This is not the only inhumane problem.
Consul

Post by Consul »

"We may philosophize well or ill, but we must philosophize." – Wilfrid Sellars
athena
Premium Member

Post by athena »

Consul wrote: January 28th, 2019, 12:23 am What actually happens when you get flogged
That was an interesting read. What is being used to flog someone, the skill of the flogger and number of times a person is lashed, matter. I am sure with this information we can increase the safety of flogging. The problem is, considering the alternative is prison, flogging could be the better choice.

I like what Scott said about alternatives such as rehabilitation and my favor restitution. I think although we are not flogging people we still do not have a correction system based on science and human concerns.

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream