Being vegan for ethical reasons.

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
Kaz_1983

Re: Being vegan for ethical reasons.

Post by Kaz_1983 »

Anyways nothing is perfect in life and yes there are things that need looking at when comes to certain aspects of veganism but as I said creating a leather substitute that's as good as the real thing - is very realistic, just give it time.

In the mean time you are getting more and more high quality leather substitutes being created, therefore it's realistic to think that leather substitutes will end up being just as good as the real thing.. when it comes to pants and jackets they already are as good.

It's like this:

I'm sure if in 1969 you told people by 2016, you would be walking around with mobile phone that has the same processing power as the Apollo guidance computer, people would have thought you were crazy but that's the reality these days.
Kaz_1983

Post by Kaz_1983 »

Sculptor1 wrote: July 10th, 2019, 4:58 pm There's no need since leather fulfils everything we need from it.
Just because you believe there's no need to do something, that doesn't mean we can't do it.
Alias
Favorite Philosopher: Terry Pratchett

Post by Alias »

Belindi wrote: July 9th, 2019, 7:37 am Pterodactyls may have sung like blackbirds. I am allowed to feel golden eagles are special.They have certain attributes that are easier to make poetry from.
Feel, yes. Poetry, yes.
Science, no. Ethics, no.
Alias
Favorite Philosopher: Terry Pratchett

Post by Alias »

Hey, Kaz - I respect the hell out of your effort here.
But there is no way you can win.
If your ethical stance doesn't instantly fix every wrong in the entire world, and if you yourself are, or have ever been, less pure than the proverbial driven snow - like, you ate Jello as a child or owned a leather watch-band - everything you say is irrelevant.
(PS - nobody needs fake leather. Everything made of leather can just as well be made of hemp or canvas or duck, and they'd all be cheaper and lower maintenance. We haven't actually needed animal skins since the invention of weaving.)
Those who can induce you to believe absurdities can induce you to commit atrocities. - Voltaire
Kaz_1983

Post by Kaz_1983 »

Alias wrote: July 10th, 2019, 10:29 pm Hey, Kaz - I respect the hell out of your effort here.
If your ethical stance doesn't instantly fix every wrong in the entire world, and if you yourself are, or have ever been, less pure than the proverbial driven snow - like, you ate Jello as a child or owned a leather watch-band - everything you say is irrelevant.
I've just don't see why me eating meat before, makes what I'm saying here irrelevant.. that's all.
(PS - nobody needs fake leather. Everything made of leather can just as well be made of hemp or canvas or duck, and they'd all be cheaper and lower maintenance. We haven't actually needed animal skins since the invention of weaving.)
I have never said we need leather and a leather substitutes I have mentioned aren't fake PVC type leather.
Kaz_1983

Post by Kaz_1983 »

Anyways why does my ethical stance, need to automatically correct every wrong for it to be relevant.. why do I need to be pure as snow - things like I should never eat meat my entire life for what I say to be relevant... are you saying that I'm a hypocrite?

I'm genuinely.
Kaz_1983

Post by Kaz_1983 »

Alias wrote: July 10th, 2019, 10:29 pm Hey, Kaz - I respect the hell out of your effort here.
I reread what you said, so disregard what I just said..

I have a feeling what you were trying to say is that when it comes to the general population, I'm not going to be able to win because of my past (I ate meat before) and if that's what you're saying, I agree with you -that will never change, unfortunately.

IMO people tend to attack the messenger, if they can't attack the message - if that makes sense.. is that what you mean?
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Kaz_1983 wrote: July 10th, 2019, 8:25 pm
Sculptor1 wrote: July 10th, 2019, 4:58 pm There's no need since leather fulfils everything we need from it.
It's not a question of whether there's no need to do something (like you said) but rather whether creating a very high quality leather substitute is very realistic or not.
It is exactly that question.
Why would I ever support a chemical industry that replaced leather, when having animals around us eat grass on the land, giving us natural fertiliser in a natural environment is preferable.
I do not want to be a part of your faux, synthetic dystopia.
Kaz_1983

Post by Kaz_1983 »

Sculptor1 wrote: July 11th, 2019, 4:42 am Why would I ever support a chemical industry that replaced leather, when having animals around us eat grass on the land, giving us natural fertiliser in a natural environment is preferable.
You need to use lots of chemicals in the tanning process.

Which is bad for the environment.

See the tanning of pig or cow skin uses a cocktail of dangerous chemicals, which produce lots of waste with a high concentration of pollutants.

I'm guessing a lot of the pollution comes from leftover chemical waste from the tanning process, with the chemical waste not being contained properly -it just ends up leaking into rivers/waterways/nearby land.

This is what happens in animal agriculture too.

Oh and with pretty much all of the leather coming from China and India regulation is difficult.... without regulations, corners are cut and making as much money as possible - is the goal.

For example, the pig or cow skin could be vegetable tanned - which would be better for the environment but the majority of it is chromium-tanned - which is very bad for the environment.
Kaz_1983

Post by Kaz_1983 »

Sculptor1 wrote: July 11th, 2019, 4:42 am Why would I ever support a chemical industry.....
Meat itself isn't evil but it does contain plenty of chemicals... things like synthetic growth hormones - they are testosterone, progesterone, zeranol and trenbolone acetate ..the chemical trimethylamine N-oxide (TMAO) is present in meat - it's linked to heart disease, not to mention synthetic antibiotics - which are widely used.. so if you buy meat, your are supporting the chemical companies that make them.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Kaz_1983 wrote: July 11th, 2019, 5:58 am
Sculptor1 wrote: July 11th, 2019, 4:42 am Why would I ever support a chemical industry that replaced leather, when having animals around us eat grass on the land, giving us natural fertiliser in a natural environment is preferable.
You need to use lots of chemicals in the tanning process.
Piss.
all you need is piss.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Kaz_1983 wrote: July 11th, 2019, 7:43 am
Sculptor1 wrote: July 11th, 2019, 4:42 am Why would I ever support a chemical industry.....
Meat itself isn't evil but it does contain plenty of chemicals... things like synthetic growth hormones - they are testosterone, progesterone, zeranol and trenbolone acetate ..the chemical trimethylamine N-oxide (TMAO) is present in meat - it's linked to heart disease, not to mention synthetic antibiotics - which are widely used.. so if you buy meat, your are supporting the chemical companies that make them.
You can say the same **** about vegetables.
This is not a problem with meat - but with the way we process all food these days.
Kaz_1983

Post by Kaz_1983 »

Sculptor1 wrote: July 11th, 2019, 6:14 pm You can say the same **** about vegetables.
This is not a problem with meat - but with the way we process all food these days.
Yes your right, I never said otherwise..

It's a case of you claim that "biodegradable faux leather is bad for the environment", then I say "so is the tanning process used to create leather" - I claim that "meat has lots of chemicals in it too",. then you point out that "vegetable farmers use pesticides"

That's said:

Beef results in up to 105kg of greenhouse gases per 100g of meat, while tofu produces less than 3.5kg.... 15,000 litres of water are needed to make 1 kg beef, compared to 2,500 litres of water needed to make 1 kg tofu. .

Those numbers aren't equal tho
Kaz_1983

Post by Kaz_1983 »

Sculptor1 wrote: July 11th, 2019, 6:12 pm Piss.
all you need is piss.
You can tan leathers with urine but nobody does that anymore.... it's better for the environment, so why not?

Because it's impractical obviously, not to mention that it's cheaper and easier for everybody to just buy leather from China or India... the problem is regulation is hard there, money is king, workers are disposable and things like environmentally friendly mean nothing.
Kaz_1983

Post by Kaz_1983 »

Inside an Indian Tannery | The Ganges

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SQp11Y0v6M0

Toxic Tanneries Poisoning Workers in Bangladesh

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a0UCeTjhSJI

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream