The March Philosophy Book of the Month is Final Notice by Van Fleisher. Discuss Final Notice now.

The April Philosophy Book of the Month is The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight. Discuss The Unbound Soul Now

The May Philosophy Book of the Month is Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler.

Virtues - Wanting suggestions for online readings

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
EthicsQuestions
New Trial Member

Virtues - Wanting suggestions for online readings

Post by EthicsQuestions » June 10th, 2019, 5:31 am

Hi guys, I am very new to philosophy (as in I started reading about it less than a week ago).

I am curious about virtues - specifically, have philosophers attempted to rank them? In the sense that kindness might be considered a better virtue than courage because of x, y, and z.

Is there clear agreement about what constitutes a virtue?

Where are some good online sources about virtues which would help me answer my questions?

chewybrian
Favorite Philosopher: Epictetus

Re: Virtues - Wanting suggestions for online readings

Post by chewybrian » June 14th, 2019, 10:45 am

I imagine they have tried, but it jumps to my mind that virtues take different priorities in different situations.

The stoics are my favorite, and they do have four "cardinal" virtues which sort of trump or encompass all others, namely:

wisdom, courage, temperance and justice.

So, as I consider what action might be most virtuous in making my selection at the buffet, courage does not seem to be required, while temperance seems to be at the forefront, with wisdom and justice somewhere in between.

For a source, I would go to the Stanford encyclopedia of philosophy and search for "virtue ethics".
"If determinism holds, then past events have conspired to cause me to hold this view--it is out of my control. Either I am right about free will, or it is not my fault that I am wrong."

h_k_s
Favorite Philosopher: Aristotle

Post by h_k_s » June 19th, 2019, 3:45 pm

EthicsQuestions wrote:
June 10th, 2019, 5:31 am
Hi guys, I am very new to philosophy (as in I started reading about it less than a week ago).

I am curious about virtues - specifically, have philosophers attempted to rank them? In the sense that kindness might be considered a better virtue than courage because of x, y, and z.

Is there clear agreement about what constitutes a virtue?

Where are some good online sources about virtues which would help me answer my questions?
Plato is the expert on virtues.

Aristotle also commented upon them but he gives this a different name, calling it in Greek "the magnanimous man."

h_k_s

Post by h_k_s » June 19th, 2019, 3:48 pm

chewybrian wrote:
June 14th, 2019, 10:45 am
I imagine they have tried, but it jumps to my mind that virtues take different priorities in different situations.

The stoics are my favorite, and they do have four "cardinal" virtues which sort of trump or encompass all others, namely:

wisdom, courage, temperance and justice.

So, as I consider what action might be most virtuous in making my selection at the buffet, courage does not seem to be required, while temperance seems to be at the forefront, with wisdom and justice somewhere in between.

For a source, I would go to the Stanford encyclopedia of philosophy and search for "virtue ethics".
This is a great quote @chewybrian thanks.

I would prioritize these Stoic virtues as:

1 - Courage

2 - Justice

3 - Wisdom

4 - Temperance.

h_k_s

Post by h_k_s » June 19th, 2019, 3:49 pm

Stoicism is still a relevant modern philosophy especially during hard times. Winston Churchill comes to mind during the Nazi onslaught against Britain.

Consul

Post by Consul » June 26th, 2019, 6:28 pm

chewybrian wrote:
June 14th, 2019, 10:45 am
Yes!

* Virtue Ethics: https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/ethics-virtue/

"A virtue is an excellent trait of character. It is a disposition, well entrenched in its possessor—something that, as we say, goes all the way down, unlike a habit such as being a tea-drinker—to notice, expect, value, feel, desire, choose, act, and react in certain characteristic ways. To possess a virtue is to be a certain sort of person with a certain complex mindset."

Also:

* Virtue Ethics: https://www.iep.utm.edu/virtue/
"We may philosophize well or ill, but we must philosophize." – Wilfrid Sellars