Are we morally obligated to make the best form of society?

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Re: Are we morally obligated to make the best form of society?

Post by Terrapin Station » March 25th, 2020, 7:44 pm

MoralIdentity wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 4:59 pm
the main goal is to eliminate suffering.
I don't agree with that. For one, I think "suffering" tends to be used too many different ways/it tends to be too vague, and even aside from that, I don't at all think that suffering is categorically bad.

GE Morton

Post by GE Morton » March 25th, 2020, 9:24 pm

MoralIdentity wrote:
I do, though, believe that to be moral you have to at least UNDERSTAND the premise of morality. I.E. that the well being of sentient life is important, and that the main goal is to eliminate suffering.
Yes indeed. Someone who doesn't accept that premise doesn't understand what morality is.

Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Post by Terrapin Station » March 26th, 2020, 1:24 pm

GE Morton wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 9:24 pm
MoralIdentity wrote:
I do, though, believe that to be moral you have to at least UNDERSTAND the premise of morality. I.E. that the well being of sentient life is important, and that the main goal is to eliminate suffering.
Yes indeed. Someone who doesn't accept that premise doesn't understand what morality is.
If you're claiming this definitionally, per your norm, you'd need to provide sources for that definition.

Alias
Favorite Philosopher: Terry Pratchett

Post by Alias » March 28th, 2020, 12:12 am

MoralIdentity wrote:
"ted to save a drowning person, even if you can swim. Though, if something happens to that person, you might be morally responsible. Once we begin telling people what they HAVE to do, we are overruling their autonomy,
We do that the minute they're born into a human community, instead of hatching on a beach.
which tosses their moral compass out the door.
No, the community provides them with the tools to fashion a moral compass.
I do, though, believe that to be moral you have to at least UNDERSTAND the premise of morality.
Also to be immoral. If you don't understand the concept, you're simply amoral - innocent, free and utterly alone.

littlejrubin
New Trial Member

Post by littlejrubin » March 29th, 2020, 1:52 am

I think any help forced upon a person is in fact an annoyance and hinderance. We take away a person’s right to help themselves by pushing our services onto them in an attempt to feel needed. Beyond basic needs (food and safety) I don’t believe we owe anyone help. Who are we to assume that a person wants help? That they need help? What kind of help? Perhaps there are people who feel contention in a lifestyle that we believe needs help. I believe we don’t even know the type of help we need ourselves. Often we ask someone else to save us before any attempts at self preservation. In fact I often think the act of helping others is a way to make ourselves feel purposeful more than a true act of compassion.