Do plants deserve a moral status as "animal"?

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
Consul

Re: Do plants deserve a moral status as "animal"?

Post by Consul »

QUOTE>
"Each species manifests its own exquisite form of adaptation that made it possible for it to survive in its own unique way. Some animals may have the ability to be conscious of what they are sensing and doing, and even feeling, in given situations. But can we really ever know this with confidence scientifically without lowering the bar for what counts as a genuine conscious experience?

It’s hard for us to imagine complicated behaviors being carried out nonconsciously, since we are usually conscious when we do such things ourselves. But this should not be the basis for the conclusion that consciousness was involved in a given behavior in another organism. The scientific question in an experiment is not whether animals might be conscious in some general sense, but instead whether consciousness specifically accounts for the behavior that was studied. If this is not tested, the statement that consciousness was involved is not warranted scientifically."

(LeDoux, Joseph. The Deep History of Ourselves: The Four-Billion-Year Story of How We Got Conscious Brains. New York: Viking, 2019. p. 319)
<QUOTE

Nonhuman (phenomenal) consciousness is a theoretical posit in science, the justification of which depends on its explanatory power or value. If an organism's behavior can as well be fully explained without any appeal to subjective experience, then its additional postulation is explanatorily idle and hence scientifically unjustified. Of course, if the epiphenomenalists about P-consciousness are right, then it is never a relevant part of any explanations of organismic behavior, including human actions, because it doesn't play any causal role in the generation of behavior or action.
"We may philosophize well or ill, but we must philosophize." – Wilfrid Sellars
Kaz_1983

Post by Kaz_1983 »

It really depends what the moral status we give animals?
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Consul wrote: August 7th, 2021, 7:07 am
Sy Borg wrote: August 6th, 2021, 5:09 pm
Consul wrote: August 6th, 2021, 4:38 pmYes, but experiences cannot (literally) be small or large.
What of greater or lesser intensity, range of sensory input and constancy?
Such differences exist; but the crucial question concerns the capacity for any sort of experience at all, no matter how intense it is.
I suggest that the difference between the most complex reflex and the most tepid and transitory of experiences may be unclear, unlike the difference between humans' usual mental "mountains" and the "deep valleys" of slow-wave sleep, where our huge level of awareness metaphorically drops off a cliff. For minuscule beings, no such "cliff" exists, only a "great plain" of raw senses with scattered tiny "mounds" of experience.
Consul

Post by Consul »

Sy Borg wrote: August 7th, 2021, 5:08 pmI suggest that the difference between the most complex reflex and the most tepid and transitory of experiences may be unclear, unlike the difference between humans' usual mental "mountains" and the "deep valleys" of slow-wave sleep, where our huge level of awareness metaphorically drops off a cliff. For minuscule beings, no such "cliff" exists, only a "great plain" of raw senses with scattered tiny "mounds" of experience.
"The simplest form of behavior in animals is a reflex, an innate stimulus-response reaction that occurs by way of nerves that directly connect sensory input systems with muscles. Reflexes are automatically elicited by certain stimuli and are not dependent on volitional control."

(LeDoux, Joseph. The Deep History of Ourselves: The Four-Billion-Year Story of How We Got Conscious Brains. New York: Viking, 2019. p. 29)

Such direct connections of sensory input and motor output don't require any experiential intermediaries.

Given what LeDoux writes, I'm asking myself if the biological concept of a reflex can be applied to nonanimal organisms. I think I need to do some googling…

"I will therefore use the following behavioral categories: taxic responses, tropisms, reflexes, fixed actions, habits, outcome-dependent instrumental actions, and cognition-dependent responses. We can then call upon these as we track how features of behavior emerged as single-cell organisms were transformed into the great variety of multicellular ones that followed."

(LeDoux, Joseph. The Deep History of Ourselves: The Four-Billion-Year Story of How We Got Conscious Brains. New York: Viking, 2019. p. 38)

Taxic responses are found in bacteria, and tropisms are found in plants; but are these forms of stimulus-induced reactive behavior reflexes?
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Consul wrote: August 7th, 2021, 7:17 pm
Sy Borg wrote: August 7th, 2021, 5:08 pmI suggest that the difference between the most complex reflex and the most tepid and transitory of experiences may be unclear, unlike the difference between humans' usual mental "mountains" and the "deep valleys" of slow-wave sleep, where our huge level of awareness metaphorically drops off a cliff. For minuscule beings, no such "cliff" exists, only a "great plain" of raw senses with scattered tiny "mounds" of experience.
"The simplest form of behavior in animals is a reflex, an innate stimulus-response reaction that occurs by way of nerves that directly connect sensory input systems with muscles. Reflexes are automatically elicited by certain stimuli and are not dependent on volitional control."

(LeDoux, Joseph. The Deep History of Ourselves: The Four-Billion-Year Story of How We Got Conscious Brains. New York: Viking, 2019. p. 29)

Such direct connections of sensory input and motor output don't require any experiential intermediaries.

Given what LeDoux writes, I'm asking myself if the biological concept of a reflex can be applied to nonanimal organisms. I think I need to do some googling…

"I will therefore use the following behavioral categories: taxic responses, tropisms, reflexes, fixed actions, habits, outcome-dependent instrumental actions, and cognition-dependent responses. We can then call upon these as we track how features of behavior emerged as single-cell organisms were transformed into the great variety of multicellular ones that followed."

(LeDoux, Joseph. The Deep History of Ourselves: The Four-Billion-Year Story of How We Got Conscious Brains. New York: Viking, 2019. p. 38)

Taxic responses are found in bacteria, and tropisms are found in plants; but are these forms of stimulus-induced reactive behavior reflexes?
By "reflex", I refer to automatic responses. It's not important to me in context whether the inputs are via neurons, ion channels or whatever.

Ultimately, any understanding of this means noting the similarities and differences between the simplest possible experiences versus the most complex non-experiences.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

If ' moral status' means treating others with respect due to their being centres of experience, then all plants, each of which is a unique centre of experience, should be treated with respect. Pest -killing chemicals that indiscriminately kill all plants and pollinating insects are now promoted only by faceless agribusinesses and overly- tidy householders. It's now common knowledge that we must respect all wild things both plant and animal.

Centuries of bad education and indoctrination have drowned most people's natural sympathy for what is regarded as other than themselves. Academia and popular culture are now firmly on the side of respect for animals and plants, and consciousness is risen.
Consul

Post by Consul »

Sy Borg wrote: August 7th, 2021, 10:35 pmUltimately, any understanding of this means noting the similarities and differences between the simplest possible experiences versus the most complex non-experiences.
How can experiences be similar to nonexperiences? If experiences are neural processes, they can be neurally but not experientially similar to nonexperiential neural processes. If they aren't, they can't even be neurally similar to nonexperiences.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Consul wrote: August 8th, 2021, 8:24 am
Sy Borg wrote: August 7th, 2021, 10:35 pmUltimately, any understanding of this means noting the similarities and differences between the simplest possible experiences versus the most complex non-experiences.
How can experiences be similar to nonexperiences? If experiences are neural processes, they can be neurally but not experientially similar to nonexperiential neural processes. If they aren't, they can't even be neurally similar to nonexperiences.
Presumably, if experiencing matter emerged from non-experiencing matter - as you and neuroscientists posit - then at some stage there logically would have been the first ever experience in the biosphere. Thus, there must have been a state that was on the verge of experiencing and a state of newly emerged experience.

Of course, if you find that problematic, then you must be a proponent of panpsychism! Either there was an interesting nexus between the experiencing and non-experiencing parts of the Earth at some stage, or there is a general gradation of consciousness in all parts of reality.
Consul

Post by Consul »

Sy Borg wrote: August 9th, 2021, 2:12 amPresumably, if experiencing matter emerged from non-experiencing matter - as you and neuroscientists posit - then at some stage there logically would have been the first ever experience in the biosphere. Thus, there must have been a state that was on the verge of experiencing and a state of newly emerged experience.
Of course, if you find that problematic, then you must be a proponent of panpsychism! Either there was an interesting nexus between the experiencing and non-experiencing parts of the Earth at some stage, or there is a general gradation of consciousness in all parts of reality.
If, as I believe, experiences are complex neural processes, then there must have been protoexperiential ("proto-" = "relating to a precursor") patterns of neural activity which got closer and closer to the threshold of experience without crossing it. And one day in the evolutionary past, a brained animal was born which became the first subject of experience on Earth. The brains of its parents weren't yet capable of realizing consciousness; but thanks to some random genetic mutation its brain was somehow neurally different from those of its parents, such that novel neural patterns occurred therein suddenly which constituted the first subjective sensation.

But if the neural "ignition" of consciousness in the brain is like a phase transition, then there is an abrupt and radical global-state change, and the pre-ignition neural dynamics is very different from the post-ignition one.

QUOTE>
"Igniting the Conscious Brain:
Whenever we become aware of an unexpected piece of information, the brain suddenly seems to burst into a large-scale activity pattern. My colleagues and I have called this property “global ignition.” We were inspired by the Canadian neurophysiologist Donald Hebb, who first analyzed the behavior of collective assemblies of neurons in his 1949 best seller The Organization of Behavior. Hebb explained, in very intuitive terms, how a network of neurons that excite one another can quickly fall into a global pattern of synchronized activity—much as an audience, after the first few handclaps, suddenly bursts into broad applause. Like the enthusiastic spectators who stand up after a concert and contagiously spread the applause, the large pyramidal neurons in the upper layers of cortex broadcast their excitation to a large audience of receiving neurons. Global ignition, my colleagues and I have suggested, occurs when this broadcast excitation exceeds a threshold and becomes self-reinforcing: some neurons excite others that, in turn, return the excitation. The net result is an explosion of activity: the neurons that are strongly interconnected burst into a self-sustained state of high-level activity, a reverberating “cell assembly,“ as Hebb called it.

This collective phenomenon resembles what physicists call a “phase transition,” or mathematicians a “bifurcation”: a sudden, nearly discontinuous change in the state of a physical system. Water that freezes into an ice cube epitomizes the phase transition from liquid to solid. Early on in our thinking about consciousness, my colleagues and I noted that the concept of phase transition captures many properties of conscious perception. Like freezing, consciousness exhibits a threshold: a brief stimulus remains subliminal, while an incrementally longer one becomes fully visible. Most physical self-amplifying systems possess a tipping point where global change happens or fails depending on minute impurities or noise. The brain, we reasoned, may be no exception."

(Dehaene, Stanislas. Consciousness and the Brain: Deciphering How the Brain Codes Our Thoughts. New York: Penguin, 2014. pp. 130-1)
<QUOTE
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Consul wrote: August 9th, 2021, 12:19 pm
Sy Borg wrote: August 9th, 2021, 2:12 amPresumably, if experiencing matter emerged from non-experiencing matter - as you and neuroscientists posit - then at some stage there logically would have been the first ever experience in the biosphere. Thus, there must have been a state that was on the verge of experiencing and a state of newly emerged experience.
If, as I believe, experiences are complex neural processes, then there must have been protoexperiential ("proto-" = "relating to a precursor") patterns of neural activity which got closer and closer to the threshold of experience without crossing it. And one day in the evolutionary past, a brained animal was born which became the first subject of experience on Earth. The brains of its parents weren't yet capable of realizing consciousness; but thanks to some random genetic mutation its brain was somehow neurally different from those of its parents, such that novel neural patterns occurred therein suddenly which constituted the first subjective sensation.

But if the neural "ignition" of consciousness in the brain is like a phase transition, then there is an abrupt and radical global-state change, and the pre-ignition neural dynamics is very different from the post-ignition one.

QUOTE>
"Igniting the Conscious Brain:
Whenever we become aware of an unexpected piece of information, the brain suddenly seems to burst into a large-scale activity pattern. My colleagues and I have called this property “global ignition.” We were inspired by the Canadian neurophysiologist Donald Hebb, who first analyzed the behavior of collective assemblies of neurons in his 1949 best seller The Organization of Behavior. Hebb explained, in very intuitive terms, how a network of neurons that excite one another can quickly fall into a global pattern of synchronized activity—much as an audience, after the first few handclaps, suddenly bursts into broad applause. Like the enthusiastic spectators who stand up after a concert and contagiously spread the applause, the large pyramidal neurons in the upper layers of cortex broadcast their excitation to a large audience of receiving neurons. Global ignition, my colleagues and I have suggested, occurs when this broadcast excitation exceeds a threshold and becomes self-reinforcing: some neurons excite others that, in turn, return the excitation. The net result is an explosion of activity: the neurons that are strongly interconnected burst into a self-sustained state of high-level activity, a reverberating “cell assembly,“ as Hebb called it.

This collective phenomenon resembles what physicists call a “phase transition,” or mathematicians a “bifurcation”: a sudden, nearly discontinuous change in the state of a physical system. Water that freezes into an ice cube epitomizes the phase transition from liquid to solid. Early on in our thinking about consciousness, my colleagues and I noted that the concept of phase transition captures many properties of conscious perception. Like freezing, consciousness exhibits a threshold: a brief stimulus remains subliminal, while an incrementally longer one becomes fully visible. Most physical self-amplifying systems possess a tipping point where global change happens or fails depending on minute impurities or noise. The brain, we reasoned, may be no exception."

(Dehaene, Stanislas. Consciousness and the Brain: Deciphering How the Brain Codes Our Thoughts. New York: Penguin, 2014. pp. 130-1)
<QUOTE
1. As always, you make an assumption - that brains are necessary for any type or level of consciousness, as if it's impossible for differing structures in nature to perform equivalent functions.

In evolution, different functions can be performed by variant structures. Convergent evolution is more the norm than the exception, resulting in all functions evolving via variant pathways, depending on scale and morphology. Why would the brain be the only unique organ when other all organ functions have equivalent structures? Small and simple organisms use ion channels to sense their environments instead of neurons. While ion channels are not as effective as neurons, they still play a role of simple organisms' sensory experiences.

It seems to me that brain-centric cognitive bias is pervasive. Humans have long assumed that brains are the only "game in town" and so they never apply similar rigour in testing brainless organisms.

So, after exhaustively testing brained things and ignoring the brainless, humans declare that only brained things experience their lives and all other life - no matter how complex their behaviours and responses - remains utterly black inside, completely inert subjectively.

Simple organisms are posited to be internally more akin to a grain of sand than to their close evolutionary brained relatives. I find that most unlikely, and that it's more likely that there are transitional states that are not being considered.

2. The state change idea is also an assumption. What of the transitional states?

Let's take a classic example of phase transition - the change from protostar to main sequence star. One might say that there's a hard line between them at the point of stellar ignition, when the temperature and pressure in the core sets off the fusion of hydrogen atoms.

That's not a hard line either. Pre-main sequence stars still fuse deuterium (as do some brown dwarf stars) before they fuse hydrogen. Nature always has transitions, even when change is exponential.

Again, I am not positing that simple animals, plants and microbes experience their lives, just that we have insufficient evidence to make that assumption on their behalf, and it seems to me that some avenues are simply not being considered because, as with other species, humans only care about themselves, so the lion's share of research will be aimed at humanlike dynamics.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Consul wrote: August 9th, 2021, 12:19 pm If, as I believe, experiences are complex neural processes, then there must have been protoexperiential ("proto-" = "relating to a precursor") patterns of neural activity which got closer and closer to the threshold of experience without crossing it. And one day in the evolutionary past, a brained animal was born which became the first subject of experience on Earth. The brains of its parents weren't yet capable of realizing consciousness; but thanks to some random genetic mutation its brain was somehow neurally different from those of its parents, such that novel neural patterns occurred therein suddenly which constituted the first subjective sensation.
Consul, this is an interesting and absorbing discussion. But I think we need to be quite careful. You have apparently offered "experience", "consciousness" and "sensation" as synonyms, or so your usage indicates. I assume this was not your intention?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Consul

Post by Consul »

Sy Borg wrote: August 9th, 2021, 5:30 pm1. As always, you make an assumption - that brains are necessary for any type or level of consciousness, as if it's impossible for differing structures in nature to perform equivalent functions.

In evolution, different functions can be performed by variant structures. Convergent evolution is more the norm than the exception, resulting in all functions evolving via variant pathways, depending on scale and morphology. Why would the brain be the only unique organ when other all organ functions have equivalent structures? Small and simple organisms use ion channels to sense their environments instead of neurons. While ion channels are not as effective as neurons, they still play a role of simple organisms' sensory experiences.

It seems to me that brain-centric cognitive bias is pervasive. Humans have long assumed that brains are the only "game in town" and so they never apply similar rigour in testing brainless organisms.

So, after exhaustively testing brained things and ignoring the brainless, humans declare that only brained things experience their lives and all other life - no matter how complex their behaviours and responses - remains utterly black inside, completely inert subjectively.

Simple organisms are posited to be internally more akin to a grain of sand than to their close evolutionary brained relatives. I find that most unlikely, and that it's more likely that there are transitional states that are not being considered.
Nonanimal organisms are very different from grains of sand, but they are also very different from animals with central nervous systems.

It is not the case that any material structure can perform any function. For example, your heart cannot function as an alternative stomach.

Consciousness is a high-level function, and high-level functions require high-level structures. I'm not only talking about human consciousness, but about all natural forms of it. Even primitive, primary phenomenal consciousness is a high-level function! It's a mistake to suppose that introspectively simple-seeming sensory qualia require nothing more than simple corporeal structures below the level of neural ones.
Sy Borg wrote: August 9th, 2021, 5:30 pm2. The state change idea is also an assumption. What of the transitional states?

Let's take a classic example of phase transition - the change from protostar to main sequence star. One might say that there's a hard line between them at the point of stellar ignition, when the temperature and pressure in the core sets off the fusion of hydrogen atoms.

That's not a hard line either. Pre-main sequence stars still fuse deuterium (as do some brown dwarf stars) before they fuse hydrogen. Nature always has transitions, even when change is exponential.

Again, I am not positing that simple animals, plants and microbes experience their lives, just that we have insufficient evidence to make that assumption on their behalf, and it seems to me that some avenues are simply not being considered because, as with other species, humans only care about themselves, so the lion's share of research will be aimed at humanlike dynamics.
Once again, the big problem with postulating a non-instantaneous evolutionary transition from phenomenally nonconscious states to phenomenally conscious ones is that we have no consistently intelligible concept of intermediate states between the absence of phenomenal consciousness and its presence.

Moreover, even if there were such "semiconscious" states, what about the transitions from nonconscious states to semiconscious ones, and from semiconscious ones to conscious ones? Would those transitions be instantaneous, or would there be additional intermediate states such as "semi-semiconscious" ones?
The only way to stop an infinite regress of (non-instantaneous) transitory stages is to assert that there has never been an evolutionary transition from nonconscious states to conscious ones, because there have always been conscious states, such that their evolution doesn't involve any true creation but just an amplification and complexification of primordial consciousness. There was no time when there were no conscious states or only semiconscious ones—says the panpsychist. But panpsychism is a silly theory that cannot be taken seriously!
Consul

Post by Consul »

Consul wrote: August 10th, 2021, 12:22 pmBut panpsychism is a silly theory that cannot be taken seriously!
Well, of course, it's psychologically possible to take a silly theory seriously; and there are in fact people who do take panpsychism seriously. So I should have written "…a silly theory that ought not to be taken seriously!"
Consul

Post by Consul »

Pattern-chaser wrote: August 10th, 2021, 11:23 am
Consul wrote: August 9th, 2021, 12:19 pm If, as I believe, experiences are complex neural processes, then there must have been protoexperiential ("proto-" = "relating to a precursor") patterns of neural activity which got closer and closer to the threshold of experience without crossing it. And one day in the evolutionary past, a brained animal was born which became the first subject of experience on Earth. The brains of its parents weren't yet capable of realizing consciousness; but thanks to some random genetic mutation its brain was somehow neurally different from those of its parents, such that novel neural patterns occurred therein suddenly which constituted the first subjective sensation.
Consul, this is an interesting and absorbing discussion. But I think we need to be quite careful. You have apparently offered "experience", "consciousness" and "sensation" as synonyms, or so your usage indicates. I assume this was not your intention?
Above, by "consciousness" I mean "phenomenal consciousness", by "experience" I mean "subjective experience"; and phenomenal consciousness = subjective experience. By "sensation" I mean "subjective sensation", and all subjective sensations are subjective experiences. However, if emotions and mental images are different from sensations, then not all experiences are sensations; but I've tacitly presupposed that the evolutionarily first kind of experiences are sensations. So consciousness/experience entered the stage of evolution in the form of sensations (sense-impressions).
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Consul wrote: August 10th, 2021, 12:22 pm
Sy Borg wrote: August 9th, 2021, 5:30 pm1. As always, you make an assumption - that brains are necessary for any type or level of consciousness, as if it's impossible for differing structures in nature to perform equivalent functions.

Nonanimal organisms are very different from grains of sand, but they are also very different from animals with central nervous systems.
That is not your prior claim.

In terms of subjectively your claim is that microbes and plants are completely identical to grains of sand but utterly different to brained animals.

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream