What is Justice?

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
Steve3007

Re: What is Justice?

Post by Steve3007 »

Wossname wrote:...But we have a shared cultural background (I think) ... I think you may be batting on a sticky wicket...
As a funny trivial point: I'd be interested to know if the shared cultural background extends to the use of that particular sports metaphor!

(More generally, I think your comments on morality are reasonable ones.)
Wossname

Post by Wossname »

Steve3007 wrote: May 20th, 2020, 5:42 am Steve3007 » 7 minutes ago

Wossname wrote:
...But we have a shared cultural background (I think) ... I think you may be batting on a sticky wicket...
As a funny trivial point: I'd be interested to know if the shared cultural background extends to the use of that particular sports metaphor!

I plead guilty as charged.
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Post by Terrapin Station »

Marvin_Edwards wrote: May 19th, 2020, 11:21 am Moral judgments can be more objective or less objective. That's what objectivity in moral judgments is about The more that moral judgments are grounded in objective evidence, the more likely they are to be correct.
Moral judgments can't be objective at all. They can't be correct, true, etc.
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Post by Terrapin Station »

Marvin_Edwards wrote: May 19th, 2020, 11:28 am
The problem is that I have seen no evidence that you are contributing anything to the discussion.

A big problem is that you believe this is the sort of thing we can have evidence of. "You're contributing/not contributing to the conversation" can't be correct, true, etc. It's a value judgment, and all value judgments are subjective. They're not a determination that the world makes mind-independently. So you don't feel that I'm contributing anything to the conversation. That's fine. And the reason that I'm supposed to care that you feel that way is?
Is communication impossible then? ("since we can't literally share the meanings we assign").
Of course it's not impossible. The problem would be not understanding what communication actually is, where one instead expects it to be something that makes no sense with respect to what the world is like and how it works.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Wossname wrote: May 20th, 2020, 5:28 am
Marvin_Edwards wrote: May 19th, 2020, 9:15 am Marvin_Edwards » Yesterday, 2:15 pm

Have you and Pattern-chaser fallen into arguing the Kantian noumenal/phenomenal distinction or is it something else? I’m not sure how much you are really disagreeing with each other.
For myself, I have noticed that Marvin_Edwards seems to be using "objective" to carry several different meanings, even in the same paragraph, without clarifying what he means. I only want to know if he means 'distanced' (mild) or Objective (hard), or something in between, and he seems unwilling to say which.

Marvin_Edwards wrote: May 19th, 2020, 11:21 am Moral judgments can be more objective or less objective. That's what objectivity in moral judgments is about.
This assertion could do with some justification. Do you have any justification to offer?

Marvin_Edwards wrote: May 19th, 2020, 11:21 am The more that moral judgments are grounded in objective evidence, the more likely they are to be correct.
This assertion could do with some justification. Do you have any justification to offer?

A little clarification wouldn't do any harm either. For instance, how can moral judgements be "grounded in objective evidence"? Very often, in moral matters, the facts (if any) are agreed by all. It is the moral implications that are disputed.

Marvin_Edwards wrote: May 19th, 2020, 11:21 am The question of whether we can know objective reality is about the "things" that exist in the world, and how certain we might be that they exist as they appear to us.
Here, I think you refer to Apparent Reality(AR, for brevity) - the reality which our senses/perception show to us, and with which we appear to interact - as if it was Objective Reality(OR) (note the capitals) - that which actually is. There is no evidence for this. That's sort of the core point of Objectivity discussions. Science cannot pronounce on this question, because there is no scientifically-acceptable evidence at all, for or against, nor can there ever be.

The belief that AR = OR is a faith position, and, as such, it is perfectly acceptable. But from a factual, logical or scientific viewpoint, it is invalid due to the complete lack of evidence. Anyone who wishes to can adopt "AR = OR" as a faith position, but to cast their belief as something they know is factually, logically and scientifically incorrect. Wrong. Invalid. And so on.

To address the details of your words:

Many "things" seem to exist in the "world" (AR), and they, and AR itself, have some relationship with OR. But whether it's direct, as you seem to think, or whether AR is a figment of the imagination of a character in a simulation, within another simulation, which exists in OR, we can have no clue.

As for "how certain we might be that they exist as they appear to us", we cannot be certain at all. Complete uncertainty is what we have here, nothing less. There is no evidence, nothing upon which to base any sort of deduction or logical analysis.

Marvin_Edwards wrote: May 19th, 2020, 11:21 am Any use of the term objectivity subsumes a knowable objective reality.
If so, then we should confine use of the term strictly to hypothetical discussions. Unless "knowable" can reduce to "know that it exists", for that is all we know, or can know, of OR.

Marvin_Edwards wrote: May 19th, 2020, 11:21 am So, if you argue that objective reality is unknowable, you undermine any use of the term "objective".
Oh, wouldn't it be wonderful if it was so! 👍🙂🙂🙂 If we could distance ourselves from the certainty we yearn for, but cannot have, and simply accept reality as it is (to/for us).

Marvin_Edwards wrote: May 19th, 2020, 11:21 am I would humbly suggest that you cease doing that.
Why? I seek to avoid a faith position being cast as something more definite. I'm not going to stop that any time soon.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream