What is Justice?

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
Sculptor1

Re: What is Justice?

Post by Sculptor1 »

Syamsu wrote: May 12th, 2020, 6:51 am
Marvin_Edwards wrote: May 12th, 2020, 6:30 am
The nice thing about defining things operationally is that they cease being abstract and vacuous.
Justice is not abstract, but subjective.
It is very much abstract, and subjective.
You just succeed in ripping the emotions out of the justice system.
Not sure that is possible.
Consequently noone feels justice is being done, but instead it is just a bureacratic process of no emotional significance.
Each judge and all juries are utterly incapable of deleting their emotions.
Most often in the US, I understand, is the bureaucracy tend to manifest in the plea bargain. The innocent accused faced with a trail which they have little chance of winning, are offered the chance to cop for a lesser crime as long as they STFU.
So much for the justice system.
It's my view that the worst part of injustice is meted out to people before they even consider a crime.
Marvin_Edwards
Favorite Philosopher: William James

Post by Marvin_Edwards »

Marvin_Edwards wrote: May 12th, 2020, 6:30 am
The nice thing about defining things operationally is that they cease being abstract and vacuous.
Justice is not abstract, but subjective. You just succeed in ripping the emotions out of the justice system. Consequently noone feels justice is being done, but instead it is just a bureacratic process of no emotional significance.
A Billy comes to his father saying that Tommy stole his lunch. His father finds Tommy, punches him in the face, and breaks his nose. Is that justice?
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Post by Terrapin Station »

Marvin_Edwards wrote: May 12th, 2020, 8:33 am

Justice is not abstract, but subjective. You just succeed in ripping the emotions out of the justice system. Consequently noone feels justice is being done, but instead it is just a bureacratic process of no emotional significance.
A Billy comes to his father saying that Tommy stole his lunch. His father finds Tommy, punches him in the face, and breaks his nose. Is that justice?
It depends on who you ask, of course. Since it's subjective there's not a correct answer. Personally, there are situations where I'd say that's justice--it would depend on whether Billy is being honest, on just what sort of bully Tommy is, re his history, etc., and so on.
Terrapin Station

Marvin_Edwards wrote: May 12th, 2020, 6:28 am
Terrapin Station wrote: May 12th, 2020, 4:24 am

That might be a goal you have in mind with it, but that's just how you think about it. It's not how everyone thinks about it.
How do you think about it?
As I noted above: "'Justice' is a subjective assessment that rewards and punishments have been reasonably and equitably distributed given the situation at hand."

If I were to say that I think of justice in terms of having a goal, I'd say that the goal is to reasonably and equitably distribute rewards and/or punishments relative to the situation at hand.
Marvin_Edwards

Post by Marvin_Edwards »

Terrapin Station wrote: May 12th, 2020, 8:40 am

It depends on who you ask, of course. Since it's subjective there's not a correct answer. Personally, there are situations where I'd say that's justice--it would depend on whether Billy is being honest, on just what sort of bully Tommy is, re his history, etc., and so on.
Then, to avoid chaos, we need to come to some agreement as to what justice is supposed to accomplish. Otherwise, Tommy's father will come with a gun and shoot Billy's father. Then Billy's uncle will retaliate by killing Tommy and his family. And so on.

So, what is justice supposed to accomplish? Is there an answer to this that everyone can agree to?
Marvin_Edwards

Post by Marvin_Edwards »

Terrapin Station wrote: May 12th, 2020, 8:42 am
Marvin_Edwards wrote: May 12th, 2020, 6:28 am

How do you think about it?
As I noted above: "'Justice' is a subjective assessment that rewards and punishments have been reasonably and equitably distributed given the situation at hand."

If I were to say that I think of justice in terms of having a goal, I'd say that the goal is to reasonably and equitably distribute rewards and/or punishments relative to the situation at hand.
How do we decide what an "equitable" distribution of rewards and/or punishments would be? Are we still wallowing in subjectivity at this point? Or is there some common goal that we can all agree to?
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Marvin_Edwards wrote: May 10th, 2020, 9:43 am Justice is about the proper balancing of rights. This is best demonstrated in a context in which we find justice at work. All practical rights arise from agreements. We come to agree to respect and protect certain rights for each other.
Yes. And I think justice is not as much about laws and stuff as fairness, as perceived by us humans. We can accept many things, but injustice is unfair, and that annoys us more than might be obvious at first. We are very keen on justice and fairness, I think.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Marvin_Edwards wrote: May 12th, 2020, 8:57 am Are we still wallowing in subjectivity at this point?
Always, I think, when discussing such matters as justice and fairness. What I think is fair, you think is unfair. How will that ever change? 😉
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Terrapin Station

Marvin_Edwards wrote: May 12th, 2020, 8:55 am Then, to avoid chaos, we need to come to some agreement as to what justice is supposed to accomplish. Otherwise, Tommy's father will come with a gun and shoot Billy's father. Then Billy's uncle will retaliate by killing Tommy and his family. And so on.

So, what is justice supposed to accomplish? Is there an answer to this that everyone can agree to?
Functionally, "what justice is supposed to accomplish" tends to be what I said: the distribution of rewards and/or punishments in a manner that folks feel is reasonable and equitable in a given situation.

The problem is that you're never going to come to a universal agreement about just what (distribution of) rewards and/or punishments are reasonable and equitable. There will always be disagreements, and those disagreements will always result in some level of discord. That's because we're talking about inherently subjective assessments. There's no way around that. One needs to recognize that the assessments are inherently subjective and then adjust one's expectations accordingly.
gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

Pattern-chaser wrote: May 12th, 2020, 10:40 am
Marvin_Edwards wrote: May 12th, 2020, 8:57 am Are we still wallowing in subjectivity at this point?
Always, I think, when discussing such matters as justice and fairness. What I think is fair, you think is unfair. How will that ever change? 😉
Justice is definitely subjective. It can be given, and it can be found, both subjectively. What justice believed to have been given may not be found to be the case.

Justice is not about balancing rights. Balancing rights is necessary action to reach decision. LAW is about balancing rights. Justice is not reward and punishment. Law and rules are.

There is no such thing as good or bad justice. If bad, then it is not justice? No. There is only justice and injustice. Justice, in this respect, is a state of mind, like peace and happiness.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

It depends which use of the word "justice" you are referring to. There is the broad concept of reacting to a negative action (as opposed in inaction). In this definition, yes your story is an example of justice. Rogue justice (many would use the term vengeance), but under our broad definition a form of justice.

OTOH there is the narrow definition of justice, namely the workings of an impartial, fair and effective Justice System. Clearly your scenario is not an example of that.

In subjective matters like "justice", it is often easier to describe what it isn't than what it is. What is injustice? To me the most common form is inaction in the face of a deliberate wrong. Billy gets his lunch stolen by Tommy and the teacher does nothing and Billy's dad does nothing.
"As usual... it depends."
Marvin_Edwards

Post by Marvin_Edwards »

Pattern-chaser wrote: May 12th, 2020, 10:09 am
Marvin_Edwards wrote: May 10th, 2020, 9:43 am Justice is about the proper balancing of rights. This is best demonstrated in a context in which we find justice at work. All practical rights arise from agreements. We come to agree to respect and protect certain rights for each other.
Yes. And I think justice is not as much about laws and stuff as fairness, as perceived by us humans. We can accept many things, but injustice is unfair, and that annoys us more than might be obvious at first. We are very keen on justice and fairness, I think.
One of the things Kant suggested was that we should only pass laws that we ourselves are willing to be subject to. It's what I like to call "a rule for making rules". So I imagine "fairness" is treating everyone equally under the law. When you say that "injustice is unfair" does that equate to "it is unfair to steal from me because we have an agreement to respect and protect each other's right to our property"?
Marvin_Edwards

Post by Marvin_Edwards »

Pattern-chaser wrote: May 12th, 2020, 10:40 am
It is possible for two people of good will to disagree as to which law will turn out best for everyone. A legislative body will study an issue, bring in experts to testify, argue for different rules, and take a vote. That establishes a working rule. Over time we'll gain more experience and revisit that rule if needed to change it or delete it. The process repeats, each time, hopefully, getting nearer the goal.
Marvin_Edwards

Post by Marvin_Edwards »

Terrapin Station wrote: May 12th, 2020, 11:20 am
Marvin_Edwards wrote: May 12th, 2020, 8:55 am Then, to avoid chaos, we need to come to some agreement as to what justice is supposed to accomplish. Otherwise, Tommy's father will come with a gun and shoot Billy's father. Then Billy's uncle will retaliate by killing Tommy and his family. And so on.

Functionally, "what justice is supposed to accomplish" tends to be what I said: the distribution of rewards and/or punishments in a manner that folks feel is reasonable and equitable in a given situation.

The problem is that you're never going to come to a universal agreement about just what (distribution of) rewards and/or punishments are reasonable and equitable. There will always be disagreements, and those disagreements will always result in some level of discord. That's because we're talking about inherently subjective assessments. There's no way around that. One needs to recognize that the assessments are inherently subjective and then adjust one's expectations accordingly.
They need not be "inherently subjective". In lawmaking we can consider practical evidence, the opinions of experts, and even trial and error in moving things forward and expanding agreement.
Marvin_Edwards

Post by Marvin_Edwards »

LuckyR wrote: May 12th, 2020, 12:15 pm

It depends which use of the word "justice" you are referring to. There is the broad concept of reacting to a negative action (as opposed in inaction). In this definition, yes your story is an example of justice. Rogue justice (many would use the term vengeance), but under our broad definition a form of justice.

OTOH there is the narrow definition of justice, namely the workings of an impartial, fair and effective Justice System. Clearly your scenario is not an example of that.

In subjective matters like "justice", it is often easier to describe what it isn't than what it is. What is injustice? To me the most common form is inaction in the face of a deliberate wrong. Billy gets his lunch stolen by Tommy and the teacher does nothing and Billy's dad does nothing.
Rules make expectations explicit. If the teacher does nothing to resolve Billy's problem with Tommy stealing his lunch, then the teacher is subject to "arrest" and "correction" by the principal.

In the same fashion, when the system of justice fails to protect a black man jogging through a neighborhood, there is a call for justice that comes from the people themselves.

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream