Freedom of speech is objective morality

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
Marvin_Edwards
Favorite Philosopher: William James

Re: Freedom of speech is objective morality

Post by Marvin_Edwards »

Steve3007 wrote: May 19th, 2020, 3:05 am
Marvin_Edwards wrote:...I recall asking the other participants to remind me if I attempted to make the same argument again, because it was very possible that I would forget what I had decided.
Fair enough. Good example.
But I often find it hard following what Terrapin is complaining about. He'll ask a one sentence question, and I have to figure out where the heck he's coming from, and often I'll guess wrong. Then he'll jump on it and try to make me look stupid. I don't feel that he is playing a fair hand of cards. I often feel like he's out to ambush me rather than trying to clarify something.
In theory, the solution to the above would be "simply take that one sentence question at face value and don't assume an agenda behind it". ...
Been there. Done that.
Marvin_Edwards

Post by Marvin_Edwards »

Terrapin Station wrote: May 19th, 2020, 7:22 am
Marvin_Edwards wrote: May 18th, 2020, 8:37 pm
No. It would not. If you have something to say, then say it. Stop prancing around trying to get me to say it for you. You're leaving me with the impression that you really have nothing to say, or that you're afraid to say it because you will be challenged in return.
It would be simpler because we wouldn't still be talking about it.

What I said was if facts were true statements, then if there were no people and a tree fell in a forest producing a thud, that would not be a fact.

Do you agree with that?
I've answered your question. My answer was that (a) you and I are two people discussing what a fact is and what it is not, b) when a tree falls in the forest it will produce a thud, even if no one is around to hear it, and that, my friend, (c) is a statement of fact.

Now, you insist upon asking me whether I agree that "if there were no people and a tree fell in a forest producing a thud, that would not be a fact". Your question creates a paradox, because if there were no people, then you and I would not be having this conversation in which I made the factual statement about the tree and the thud.

Your question has been answered. But your paradox has no answer, because it is a paradox. And, by the way, "when did you stop beating your wife?"
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Post by Terrapin Station »

Steve3007 wrote: May 19th, 2020, 3:05 am In theory, the solution to the above would be "simply take that one sentence question at face value and don't assume an agenda behind it".
Exactly.

What I'm usually doing is simply asking a question that occurs to me because of something that someone said, where I think something like, "Wait, if such and such, then doesn't that imply this?" Or "How does that work given x, or if x?"

So it's sort of an invitation to either (a) make what I'm wondering about explicit, so that one more fully presents one's views to others in a way that won't lead to those sorts of questions, or (b) to think more about the question at hand, because maybe what struck me wasn't something that the person considered themselves, and that might lead to needing to revise views in light of the logical issue.

So for example, with (a) we can get to the point where the person makes it clear that they're using terms like "moral" and "morally right," "morally wrong" to refer to any situation where one course of action would be recommended over another (so that it's "morally right" on their view to push the "m" key first when they want to type the word "moral"), and for example with (b), we might get to a point where a revised definition of "fact" would be proposed, because maybe the person wouldn't want to say that there are no facts if no people exist. (But who knows on that one--the person needs to consider that question and address it first--maybe instead they'd wind up saying something more unusual, like confirming that they do indeed use the word "fact" in a way so that no facts would exist if no people did--hence asking questions such as I do.)

So, in other words, the questions are more of an invitation for folks to make sure that they've crossed all of their t's and dotted all of their i's in their views/in the presentation of their views, which is something we should be aiming for as philosophers. We want to present views that make sense "internally," views that are consistent/coherent with respect to the entirety of the view, and where we demonstrate that we've considered and are able to address all sorts of objections.
Terrapin Station

Marvin_Edwards wrote: May 19th, 2020, 7:49 am
Terrapin Station wrote: May 19th, 2020, 7:22 am

It would be simpler because we wouldn't still be talking about it.

What I said was if facts were true statements, then if there were no people and a tree fell in a forest producing a thud, that would not be a fact.

Do you agree with that?
I've answered your question. My answer was that (a) you and I are two people discussing what a fact is and what it is not,
Which is NOT answering the issue. Because you're then ignoring the "IF no people existed" part, and that's the whole crux of the issue. "You and I are two people discussing" isn't consistent with "IF no people existed." You and I existing are not the scenario of no people existing.
Terrapin Station

By the way, I'm not presenting anything like a paradox. It's simply urging you to address the definition you suggested in the context of what seems to be conventional connotations of a term that don't mesh with the definition you suggested. If that's really the definition you use, then you should be comfortable with the oddity relative to conventional usage. Otherwise you might need to reconsider the definition you use if you're not comfortable with that.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Steve3007 wrote: May 18th, 2020, 5:16 pm In these circumstances, why can nobody ever say something along the lines of "Oh! So I did! Silly me! My mistake."
Sound advice to us all! 👍
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

GregRogers wrote: May 18th, 2020, 7:57 pm Terrapin, your statement that "'good' is an individual assessment' is an assertion; do you have any argument for this? Quite to the contrary; there is a high degree of consensus that vomiting one's guts out or involuntary convulsions, etc, are not 'good'.
It isn't the blackest (or whitest) cases that illustrate the point, it's the ones in the grey area. And, in this case, the grey area is huge, reflecting the non-objective nature of the issue under discussion. There is no real consensus here.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Philo_stone wrote: May 19th, 2020, 2:09 am
Steve3007 wrote: In your view, what does it mean for freedom of speech to be "logical"?
It should be expressed with reasoning, thoughts, explanation, questioning that can be proved right or wrong.
In other words, you are placing boundaries and constraints on speech, while also arguing that it should be free (of boundaries and constraints?). I'm confused.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Marvin_Edwards

Post by Marvin_Edwards »

Terrapin Station wrote: May 19th, 2020, 7:58 am
Marvin_Edwards wrote: May 19th, 2020, 7:49 am

I've answered your question. My answer was that (a) you and I are two people discussing what a fact is and what it is not,
Which is NOT answering the issue. Because you're then ignoring the "IF no people existed" part, and that's the whole crux of the issue. "You and I are two people discussing" isn't consistent with "IF no people existed." You and I existing are not the scenario of no people existing.
I've answered your question. You're not satisfied with my answer. There's nothing I can do about that.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Steve3007 wrote: May 19th, 2020, 5:43 am @Philo_stone

A technical point about posting: When replying to people (especially replying to several people in the same post) I suggest you either tag their name with an '@' symbol in front of it (as I did with your name above) or quote them, using the quote tag, and add "=their name" within the opening quote tag. If you don't do that then there's a higher likelihood that they won't notice that you've replied to them.
Good advice, to which I offer this addition. You can also display a poster's name thus: [ mention ]Steve3007[ /mention ] displays as Steve3007 when we remove the spaces inside the square brackets.

Your way is quicker and easier, though. I'll probably do it this way in the future. Thanks.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Terrapin Station

Marvin_Edwards wrote: May 19th, 2020, 9:11 am
Terrapin Station wrote: May 19th, 2020, 7:58 am

I've answered your question. You're not satisfied with my answer. There's nothing I can do about that.
If the question is about the scenario in which no people exist, then responding where you talk about people who exist isn't addressing the scenario.
Philo_stone

Post by Philo_stone »

Steve3007 wrote: May 16th, 2020, 3:48 am
Philo_stone wrote: I find freedom of speech when logical always lead to greater good and suppressing it spread immoral and evil culture and beliefs.
In your view, what does it mean for freedom of speech to be "logical"?
It should be expressed with reasoning, thoughts, explanation, questioning that can be proved right or wrong. So if any speech is of this nature then it's likely to lead to greater good, even if it is wrong, as other people can prove it wrong and the truth may come from their side. Truth don't lead to bad of society as a whole, and this is basic assumption here which I found to be correct.
Steve3007 wrote:
Philo_stone wrote:Suppression of speech is always due to evil and immoral practices that people need to be protected to keep their ego intact. Also to hide some of their weaknesses, or fulfill selfish gains.
I disagree with the word "always" and I think even most ardent advocates of free speech probably would too. See the "shouting fire in a crowded theatre" exemplar as a starting point.
I think phrase "free speech" doesn't fit perfectly with my notion of Freedom of speech. It sounds like anyone can talk any kind of rubbish without any reasoning, questioning, explanation etc. I think shouting fire in a crowded theatre should not be considered under freedom of speech. It is just the ability to speak. It has no value in search or finding of truth or something right, which can lead to greater good. It is something we cannot suppress but can punish and such things are legal offence already.

On the other hand when we talk about freedom of speech or suppression of speech, knowingly or unknowingly we talk about speech that has a value because that kind of speech only can be suppressed and nothing else. It is because this kind of speech is thoughtful questioning or answering, or explanation, which is easy to suppress, and not everyone talk like that.
Philo_stone

Post by Philo_stone »

Marvin_Edwards wrote: May 16th, 2020, 5:49 am The value of freedom of speech comes from its utility in conveying truth. The value of truth comes from its role in keeping us in touch with reality, such that we can deal more effectively with it.
Exactly. By this way freedom of speech help reducing evil and immorality. By suppressing speech immoral and evil people try to project their view point without any opposition in the name of speech being disrespectful, hurtful etc. There's little common psychology here, which you need to try understanding to get my point clear. People with wrong ideology, weak position always suppress strong position, new ideas that can change.

So, we should not be so free as to lie, deceive, manipulate, or otherwise cause unnecessary harm to others by our speech. 
We cannot suppress all these things anyway, so I see no point talking about these. It's already a punishable offence if it's not bringing any positive good change due to its assertive nature or illogical expression, instead creating trouble for some people. Moreover suppressing logically explanatory speech help these things to become even more widespread.

These things have no moral value. We can't suppress lying, manipulation, deception while suppressing speech help these things becoming more widespread. I hope I am making my point amply clear.
Marvin_Edwards

Post by Marvin_Edwards »

Terrapin Station wrote: May 19th, 2020, 9:31 am
Marvin_Edwards wrote: May 19th, 2020, 9:11 am

If the question is about the scenario in which no people exist, then responding where you talk about people who exist isn't addressing the scenario.
And I addressed that issue by explaining the paradoxical nature of your requirement. The problem, as I see it, is that you are not hearing my answers. They do not lead to where you thought they should lead. So, you reject it. I cannot make you see what you have closed your mind to. So, perhaps another time. But we're done here for this thread.
Terrapin Station

Marvin_Edwards wrote: May 19th, 2020, 1:01 pm
Terrapin Station wrote: May 19th, 2020, 9:31 am

And I addressed that issue by explaining the paradoxical nature of your requirement. The problem, as I see it, is that you are not hearing my answers. They do not lead to where you thought they should lead. So, you reject it. I cannot make you see what you have closed your mind to. So, perhaps another time. But we're done here for this thread.
What's paradoxical about it?

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream