A Moral Universe

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
Sculptor1

Re: A Moral Universe

Post by Sculptor1 »

Wossname wrote: September 10th, 2020, 6:55 am. Do you see any animal other than humans as morally accountable for behaviour?
In what way are humans accountable?

If you are talking about holding others to account then that is a human trait, sure. Humans are very good at using moral arguments to make people behave in prescribed ways.
Animals do behave morally, but most usually they are self accountable.
Even ants and other social insects act to control behaviour.
But you do not have to study mammals for long to see moral structures in place and behaviour controlled by members of the group.
So whilst there is a difference between humans and other animals, it is one of degree.
Wossname

Post by Wossname »

Sculptor1 wrote: September 10th, 2020, 8:02 am Sculptor1 » 32 minutes ago

Wossname wrote: ↑Today, 11:55 am
. Do you see any animal other than humans as morally accountable for behaviour?
In what way are humans accountable?

If you are talking about holding others to account then that is a human trait, sure. Humans are very good at using moral arguments to make people behave in prescribed ways.
Animals do behave morally, but most usually they are self accountable.
Even ants and other social insects act to control behaviour.
But you do not have to study mammals for long to see moral structures in place and behaviour controlled by members of the group.
So whilst there is a difference between humans and other animals, it is one of degree.

Yes I mean humans are accountable to each other for their behaviour. We may determine you have behaved badly (by some standard) and hold you accountable. You may, of course, deny it or reject the standard or invoke some other standard.

And I think you are right about some animals. I recall a TV programme about adult elephants banishing an overly aggressive younger male for persistent bad behaviour. Your mention of sociability does seem relevant. Social animals need some social structure (rule governed behaviour) to function as such.

I wonder about ants. I take your point about controlling behaviour. Is an ant's behaviour automatic and instinctive? I think it might be. (But I recognise shades of Nagel here). Again, it seems to me that an ability to choose is important or else how can we say someone made a wrong moral choice? So instinct, defined as automatic and unlearned behaviour, may not qualify. This does seem to link to issues of free will.

I have grave doubts about viruses.

A matter of degree? Perhaps so. I am not clear about where boundaries may lie or how such matters can be quantified but that does not invalidate your general point.
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Post by Terrapin Station »

Angel Trismegistus wrote: September 8th, 2020, 6:28 am
Are you going to explain how anything could be in discordance with the nature of things?`
Papus79

Post by Papus79 »

Angel Trismegistus wrote: September 10th, 2020, 5:23 am No, I think we agree on the meaning of "inevitable," but only one of us is applying it rigorously. Recall that we're talking about your correction of my statement #4, "All action in accordance with the nature of things is right." You assert the counterclaim that all action in accordance with the nature of things is "inevitable." But then you go on to cite actions taken to counteract natural extinction.
I'd agree with the point other posters have made in somewhat fewer words than I have - you literally can't contradict nature. If you counter the extinction of a given species through some legal protection you didn't intervene or counteract nature because you are nature. Similarly if we prevent human extinction we didn't counteract nature, we are nature so there's no way to counteract that.

This might sound like it's making a claim unfalsifiable, I'd argue rather that it's a problem with the container you're using. At least in the 20th and 21st century Anglosphere 'nature' has come to mean 'all that is actually real' (or perhaps pulling on Sheldrake or Chomsky all that we can rule out as not being superstition at present) and supernature is 'all that is made up or superstitious' (which to some end I don't think that's a great argument - at a minimum it's happening on neurons to which even that makes it part of nature in a limited way). In that sense 'natural' is practically a synonym for the placeholder term 'physical'.
Humbly watching Youtube in Universe 25. - Me
Papus79

Post by Papus79 »

Angel Trismegistus wrote: September 10th, 2020, 5:27 am
Papus79 wrote: September 8th, 2020, 10:50 pm What living organisms would we have painting outside the lines of nature and into what are they painting?...
Please translate this oracle into clear and simple English for me. I don't understand what you're saying, or rather trying to say, here. Thank you.
I did immediately above. If it's not nature it's either not real or it's nature that we don't understand yet.
Angel Trismegistus wrote: September 10th, 2020, 5:27 am 5. All action in discordance with the nature of things is wrong.

'discordance with the nature of things' is a non-sequitur.

Also for as much as a sweet and beautiful soul as Manly P Hall was, who'd go on these sorts of rants routinely about 'the nature of things', 'The Good', the centrality of maturity and integrity, all things I really personally like, I also had to admit - he was collecting a massive 'ought' and the ought he was collecting doesn't translate to an 'is'.
Marvin_Edwards
Favorite Philosopher: William James

Post by Marvin_Edwards »

Wossname wrote: September 10th, 2020, 6:13 am
Marvin_Edwards wrote: September 9th, 2020, 3:09 pm Marvin_Edwards » Yesterday, 8:09 pm

5. The point of morality is to achieve the best good and the least harm for everyone (within one's own species). That is the nature of morality.

I think this is the way you have defined things Marvin, but, like Steve, I am not sure that is not somewhat arbitrary. Others would define things differently. Singer, for one, would accuse you of speciesism
The existence of competing species doesn't seem to be something that anyone can deny. Ultimately, the value of another species is judged by its value to our own. We exterminate viruses, ticks, and fleas. We cuddle puppies and kittens.
Papus79

Post by Papus79 »

Angel Trismegistus wrote: September 10th, 2020, 5:33 am
Papus79 wrote: September 8th, 2020, 10:50 pm
Freedom from what?
From physical determinism. And it's less a matter of freedom from and more a matter of freedom to -- namely, freedom to choose to act morally or immorally.
I actually am a strict determinist, part of why I'm there - no one's been able to adequately explain to me how the nature of time doesn't force that upon us. Some would argue that quantum randomness is somehow a 'real' thing that would do different things at the same moment but I still don't know what they think that means or why they'd argue for it (and I've heard people like Eric Weinstein make interesting arguments that a large part of what's difficult with parsing the quantum is that it answers poorly formed questions with equally poor data - something the classical world tends to either not do or in ways that make the poverty of the question more apparent).
Wossname

Post by Wossname »

Marvin_Edwards wrote: September 10th, 2020, 9:47 am y Marvin_Edwards » Today, 2:47 pm

Wossname wrote: ↑Today, 11:13 am
Marvin_Edwards wrote: ↑Yesterday, 8:09 pm
Marvin_Edwards » Yesterday, 8:09 pm

5. The point of morality is to achieve the best good and the least harm for everyone (within one's own species). That is the nature of morality.

I think this is the way you have defined things Marvin, but, like Steve, I am not sure that is not somewhat arbitrary. Others would define things differently. Singer, for one, would accuse you of speciesism
The existence of competing species doesn't seem to be something that anyone can deny. Ultimately, the value of another species is judged by its value to our own. We exterminate viruses, ticks, and fleas. We cuddle puppies and kittens.

We may treat another person according to their perceived worth to us, but there remains the question of whether it is right to do so. And if we treat another species by the same criterion, others, Singer among them, might dispute whether it was right to do so. If we consider human interests more important than animal interests we are guilty of speciesism (says Singer). I am not here debating the merits of that view, (it sounds as if you disagree with it), I am just pointing out that there are different views is all.
Angel Trismegistus

Post by Angel Trismegistus »

Papus79 wrote: September 10th, 2020, 9:38 am
Angel Trismegistus wrote: September 10th, 2020, 5:23 am No, I think we agree on the meaning of "inevitable," but only one of us is applying it rigorously. Recall that we're talking about your correction of my statement #4, "All action in accordance with the nature of things is right." You assert the counterclaim that all action in accordance with the nature of things is "inevitable." But then you go on to cite actions taken to counteract natural extinction.
I'd agree with the point other posters have made in somewhat fewer words than I have - you literally can't contradict nature. If you counter the extinction of a given species through some legal protection you didn't intervene or counteract nature because you are nature. Similarly if we prevent human extinction we didn't counteract nature, we are nature so there's no way to counteract that.

This might sound like it's making a claim unfalsifiable, I'd argue rather that it's a problem with the container you're using. At least in the 20th and 21st century Anglosphere 'nature' has come to mean 'all that is actually real' (or perhaps pulling on Sheldrake or Chomsky all that we can rule out as not being superstition at present) and supernature is 'all that is made up or superstitious' (which to some end I don't think that's a great argument - at a minimum it's happening on neurons to which even that makes it part of nature in a limited way). In that sense 'natural' is practically a synonym for the placeholder term 'physical'.
I am not using the word "nature" in the sense you and others are taking it, that is, to mean all the physical phenomena of the world. I'm using it in its other sense of "inherent characteristic."
Angel Trismegistus

Papus79 wrote: September 10th, 2020, 9:42 am
Angel Trismegistus wrote: September 10th, 2020, 5:27 am
Please translate this oracle into clear and simple English for me. I don't understand what you're saying, or rather trying to say, here. Thank you.
I did immediately above. If it's not nature it's either not real or it's nature that we don't understand yet.
Angel Trismegistus wrote: September 10th, 2020, 5:27 am 5. All action in discordance with the nature of things is wrong.

'discordance with the nature of things' is a non-sequitur.

Also for as much as a sweet and beautiful soul as Manly P Hall was, who'd go on these sorts of rants routinely about 'the nature of things', 'The Good', the centrality of maturity and integrity, all things I really personally like, I also had to admit - he was collecting a massive 'ought' and the ought he was collecting doesn't translate to an 'is'.
I hope I cleared up this misunderstanding in the post above this one.
Angel Trismegistus

Papus79 wrote: September 10th, 2020, 9:48 am
Angel Trismegistus wrote: September 10th, 2020, 5:33 am
From physical determinism. And it's less a matter of freedom from and more a matter of freedom to -- namely, freedom to choose to act morally or immorally.
I actually am a strict determinist, part of why I'm there - no one's been able to adequately explain to me how the nature of time doesn't force that upon us. Some would argue that quantum randomness is somehow a 'real' thing that would do different things at the same moment but I still don't know what they think that means or why they'd argue for it (and I've heard people like Eric Weinstein make interesting arguments that a large part of what's difficult with parsing the quantum is that it answers poorly formed questions with equally poor data - something the classical world tends to either not do or in ways that make the poverty of the question more apparent).
That you personally are a strict determinist is not a counter-argument to a free-willist argument. What is "the nature of time"?
Angel Trismegistus

Terrapin Station wrote: September 9th, 2020, 5:51 am
Angel Trismegistus wrote: September 9th, 2020, 1:46 am
What sort of impossibility are you asserting here -- logical? Empirical? Dialectical?
And what part of the OP argument (#1-20) does your demurrer address?
Logical and metaphysical/ontological.

Re #5--All action in discordance with the nature of things is wrong.

There can be no action in discordance with the nature of things.
I can't see how the counter-claim of logical impossibility can be sustained. My claim of accordance or discordance with the nature of things issues in no contradiction or absurdity, as far as I can see. But I am very interested to hear your argument for this counter-claim.

What is "ontological/metaphysical" impossibility if you distinguish it, as you seem to, from empirical impossibility?

I do believe we are talking past each other here inasmuch as we are using the word "nature" in two different senses -- I, in the sense of inherent characteristic"; you, in the sense of "the totality of physical phenomena."
Angel Trismegistus

Count Lucanor wrote: September 9th, 2020, 6:36 pm
Angel Trismegistus wrote: September 8th, 2020, 6:28 am
____________A Moral Universe____________

The Argument

1. All things by nature tend to their own good.

2. The good is that to which all things by nature tend.

3. The nature of things tends toward the good of things.
There are many things in nature, and just a tiny minority in it gets in the business of qualifying the rest of them as good as or bad. The vast majority of nature simply doesn't care, because it is not made to care. Most things don't "tend to their own good", they are what they are, regardless of moral qualifications from humans.
Angel Trismegistus wrote: September 8th, 2020, 6:28 am 4. All action in accordance with the nature of things is right.

5. All action in discordance with the nature of things is wrong.
Since humans are the only ones qualifying things as right or wrong, and humans are not driven by raw natural instincts, it is in fact possible that acting against what appears to be natural tendencies is qualified as right.
Angel Trismegistus wrote: September 8th, 2020, 6:28 am 6. "Right" and "wrong" are values expressing accordance and discordance with the nature of things.
Given human's neuroplasticity and the ever changing social environment, it is very unlikely that "right and wrong", and what is "natural", can be fixed.
Angel Trismegistus wrote: September 8th, 2020, 6:28 am 7. All actions are in this sense moral.
For humans only.
Angel Trismegistus wrote: September 8th, 2020, 6:28 am 8. The collection of all actions is in this sense moral.

9. The universe is the collection of all actions.

0. The universe is in this sense moral.
The rest of the universe just doesn't care about anything.
My argument does not attribute moral consciousness to nature. My argument does attribute moral consciousness to man. My argument attribute moral action to nature, and moral ambiguity to man.
Angel Trismegistus

Wossname wrote: September 10th, 2020, 6:07 am
Steve3007 wrote: September 10th, 2020, 3:41 am Steve3007 » Today, 8:41 am

Count Lucanor wrote:
Most things don't "tend to their own good"...
They do if Angel decides to define "good" as "that towards which things tend" (as he does).

Yes I have had this discussion with AT elsewhere. It is a curious definition and one I deem counter-intuitive.

2. The good is that to which all things by nature tend.
Covid 19 tends to make many people ill and kill people in their thousands. I don’t see that as good.

4. All action in accordance with the nature of things is right.
Nearly all life is parasitical and exploits other life to survive. Life forms, in the struggle for survival, are essentially self-serving. What is so “right” about a description of self-serving, exploitative behaviour? And if humans are this way, choose to be this way, why is this not also right?

15. The action of man in discordance with the nature of things is wrong.
If Man chooses to go against the nature of things, not be self-serving and exploitative, seeks to conserve or protect other life forms for their own sake, is this then, wrong?

It is an odd thesis that all animals act in accordance with their nature apart from Man. If you want to know what humanity is like, then look at what humans do. I would suggest that what humans do is part of human nature. This does not seem to me to make whatever they do good and right, any more than what a virus does. What we deem good and right must surely depend on human needs and values, and these develop in the face of a largely uncaring universe, - indeed our values seem to set their face against such a universe and strive to make us something more than indifferent.

AT you seem to believe that you understand “the nature of things”. The difficulty for me is that this understanding seems to bear no resemblance to reality. (I will not use the f word out of respect for your feelings AT but that is how I view it). No moral universe for me. But humans striving (and often failing) to work out and do the “right” thing? That sounds more like it.
W, again I feel obliged to point out that your opinion "f" of my views is worth no more than my opinion "s" of your views. The only thing that matters is argument. You find my view of a moral universe "counter-intuitive"; I find my view perfectly intuitive. So the route of intuition will get us nowhere. My understanding of the nature of things comes from physical science. That the law of the jungle rules the nature of things is no counter-argument to anything in my argument. You don't need to harp on Covid 19; a lion bringing down an antelope will do. Both the lion and the virus act morally. Your "odd thesis" is something of a straw man -- in the second half of the OP argument man's moral nature is treated as a special case. The more fleshed-out argument for human morality is given in the OP of the thread entitled "On Morality: a dialogue."
Marvin_Edwards

Post by Marvin_Edwards »

Wossname wrote: September 10th, 2020, 11:21 am
Marvin_Edwards wrote: September 10th, 2020, 9:47 am y Marvin_Edwards » Today, 2:47 pm

Wossname wrote: ↑Today, 11:13 am
Marvin_Edwards wrote: ↑Yesterday, 8:09 pm
Marvin_Edwards » Yesterday, 8:09 pm

We may treat another person according to their perceived worth to us, but there remains the question of whether it is right to do so. And if we treat another species by the same criterion, others, Singer among them, might dispute whether it was right to do so. If we consider human interests more important than animal interests we are guilty of speciesism (says Singer). I am not here debating the merits of that view, (it sounds as if you disagree with it), I am just pointing out that there are different views is all.
And I'm just pointing out how such differences are ultimately resolved, if they are ever to be resolved at all.

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream