How to make peace with might makes right?

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
baker

Re: How to make peace with might makes right?

Post by baker »

Pattern-chaser wrote: December 6th, 2020, 7:49 amYou do realise, don't you, that you have asserted that coercion and intimidation are morally right?
In the absence of some metaphysical foundation, yes.
I don't think many people would find this self-evident.
Sure, because they are operating out of some metaphysical foundation in which they are the good guys.

[ I say "right", not "good", to avoid confusion. Morality distiguishes right from wrong, not (directly) good from bad. Most of us would agree that being morally right is good, but that just introduces more confusion. Can we stick to "right" and "wrong", for the sake of clarity? ]
Then that's another thing to work on.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

baker wrote: December 5th, 2020, 6:17 am There's an internet meme that says:
DEAR CONQUERED PEOPLES,
The history of humanity is one of constant conflict and competition for resources like land, food, water, and women.
You whine about the fact that Europeans were and are better at this contest than any other race of men in the world.
You losers want us to regret being better at conquest and exploration than you were.
You want apologies and reparations from people who were stronger and smarter than you, people who unequivocally won.
WE AREN'T SORRY AND WE OWE YOU NOTHING. DEAL WITH IT.

https://pics.me.me/ore-em-dear-conquere ... 588725.png
How do you object to that?
I offer one example. When Europeans conquered the Americas, they did so by bio-warfare: inadvertent genocide. It was not Europeans that defeated native Americans but smallpox, chicken pox, measles and a few more deadly diseases, to which they had no immunity. Between 80 and 200 million people died in this way, allowing the invaders' conquests to succeed. This is not an example of Europeans being "stronger and smarter". Much the same applies to Africa, and its colonisation by Europeans. It seems European exploitation of the rest of the world depended more on germs than on being "stronger and smarter".
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Pattern-chaser wrote: December 6th, 2020, 8:12 am When Europeans conquered the Americas, they did so by bio-warfare: inadvertent genocide. It was not Europeans that defeated native Americans but smallpox, chicken pox, measles and a few more deadly diseases, to which they had no immunity. Between 80 and 200 million people died in this way, allowing the invaders' conquests to succeed.
I should note that these numbers apply only to North America, with South American casualties adding to this dreadful total.
“The European conquest of the New World was not caused by guns, swords, or barbaric type behavior but by the invisible danger-germs,” writes historian Elizabeth Orlow in her article, ‘Silent killers of the new world’. The Spanish had among them one soldier who was infected by the smallpox virus. Within a couple of weeks, the virus is believed to have spread like wildfire, killing one-fourth of the population of Mexico.

Original article
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

baker wrote: December 6th, 2020, 8:08 am
Pattern-chaser wrote: December 6th, 2020, 7:49 amYou do realise, don't you, that you have asserted that coercion and intimidation are morally right?
In the absence of some metaphysical foundation, yes.
Then we must leave this sub-thread to stand as a glaring example of how morality is far from objective (in the sense of universal). 😂
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
baker

Post by baker »

Sculptor1 wrote: December 5th, 2020, 1:50 pmMost moral claim seem "self evident", but you have to ask why?
You reasons are odd to say the least, and at best circular.
You seem to be saying strength is good because it is strong.
Not to make this too personal ...

Up until some ten years ago, if you were to wake me up at 2 AM and ask me which religion was the right one, I would say that it was Roman Catholicism and that I am certain that I would burn in hell for all eternity because I was not baptized as an infant (and a later baptism doesn't really count).
In the broad light of day, one can be quite reasonable and calm, but in the less lucid hours, which nevertheless have much power over one, one might live in utter terror which never really goes away and is always there under the surface.
Those are the effects of long-term bullying by Christians.

I don't feel the fear of eternal damnation anymore the way I used to, not even at 2 AM. Still, some problems remain. It seems that there are things that one comes to believe long before one's capacities for critical thinking have developed. Such beliefs are extremely hard to change, even though one wants to change them. When something has been literally beaten into one, it's hard not to believe it. "Power/strength is morally good" is one such belief. And in the context of Catholicism, it gets an additional metaphysical dimension that non-religious bullying doesn't have. I know "lapsed" Catholics who in their 60's, 70's still believe and are still troubled by those things that were beaten into them when they were children.
I don't want to be like them. Having overcome my Catholic nightmares and being free of them for some ten years, I am confident that I could be able to figure out the might-makes-right problem as well. With some help, probably.

- - -
Jack D Ripper wrote: December 5th, 2020, 4:53 pmYour position is self-contradictory. /.../
Thank you. Do stop giving me a hard time and make yourself useful, or drop it all. If I had figured this thing out, I wouldn't be posting about it here now, would I? Thanks.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

baker wrote: December 6th, 2020, 8:59 am I don't feel the fear of eternal damnation anymore the way I used to, not even at 2 AM. Still, some problems remain. It seems that there are things that one comes to believe long before one's capacities for critical thinking have developed. Such beliefs are extremely hard to change, even though one wants to change them. When something has been literally beaten into one, it's hard not to believe it. "Power/strength is morally good" is one such belief.
I too was raised by extreme Christian cultists (Roman Catholics). There are many things they beat into you, but strength being morally good is not one of them, in my own experience. There's the guilt, and so forth, but I think this strength thing comes from you, not the Pope. 😉
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
baker

Post by baker »

Pattern-chaser wrote: December 6th, 2020, 8:12 amI offer one example. When Europeans conquered the Americas, they did so by bio-warfare: inadvertent genocide. /.../ It seems European exploitation of the rest of the world depended more on germs than on being "stronger and smarter".
Europeans killed many people directly, with swords, guns, ropes, and fire.

To some extent, they _deliberately_ spread contagious diseases, so we can't talk about inadvertent genocide.
baker

Post by baker »

Pattern-chaser wrote: December 6th, 2020, 9:19 amI too was raised by extreme Christian cultists (Roman Catholics). There are many things they beat into you, but strength being morally good is not one of them, in my own experience. There's the guilt, and so forth, but I think this strength thing comes from you, not the Pope.
Long story short, I was born and raised as the only non-Catholic among Catholics. That's a special kind of curse.
baker

Post by baker »

Jack D Ripper wrote: December 5th, 2020, 4:30 pmWhat you appear to be doing is confusing what is with what ought to be.
I asked this earlier:
If something is, then why wouldn't it be precisely because it ought to be?

The ancient Stoics believed that the world is rationally organized to a good end. With such a teleological framework, the is-ought distinction as it is typically understood, is rendered moot.

It looks like the Stoics didn't believe in the is-ought distinction, at least not in terms of a type of morality where the ought is an imperative per se. Instead, the Stoics seemed to believe that the ought only applies in practical terms, as in "In order to get result A, you ought to do B".
baker

Post by baker »

Pattern-chaser wrote: December 6th, 2020, 9:19 amI too was raised by extreme Christian cultists (Roman Catholics). There are many things they beat into you, but strength being morally good is not one of them, in my own experience.
The cognitive effect of being beaten can be the conclusion that strength is morally right. That is, the person who is being beaten can come to conclude that.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

baker wrote: December 6th, 2020, 10:02 am I asked this earlier:
For the sake of illustration, let's assume I think the sky should be green. (My reasons for this strange belief don't matter.) I have eyes, and I can see, and agree with you, that the sky is blue. But I think it should be - ought to be - green. What is, is indisputable; it just is. But what ought to be is a statement of what I believe/think. It says that I think God got it wrong, and that the sky ought to be green.

"Is" is an acknowledgement of what is, in the real world. "Ought" merely describes how I think things should be. It asserts that I believe that what is is wrong, and it should be otherwise.

Is that clear enough?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
baker

Post by baker »

Pattern-chaser wrote: December 6th, 2020, 11:25 amFor the sake of illustration, let's assume I think the sky should be green. (My reasons for this strange belief don't matter.) I have eyes, and I can see, and agree with you, that the sky is blue. But I think it should be - ought to be - green. What is, is indisputable; it just is. But what ought to be is a statement of what I believe/think.

It says that I think God got it wrong, and that the sky ought to be green.
There's your metaphysical foundation!
"Is" is an acknowledgement of what is, in the real world. "Ought" merely describes how I think things should be. It asserts that I believe that what is is wrong, and it should be otherwise.

Is that clear enough?
I can't really relate to this.

I can relate to how it sometimes applies to me, as in "I am like this, but I ought to be like that". But not beyond that.

Ought so and so be president?
Ought people not eat animals?
Ought the police be fair to the people they apprehend?
Etc.

I don't have simple yes or no answers to such questions. At most, I can come up with a list of pros and cons on each topic, but that's it.
Jack D Ripper

Post by Jack D Ripper »

To add to what I stated above regarding this:

baker wrote: December 5th, 2020, 6:17 am...

There's an internet meme that says:
DEAR CONQUERED PEOPLES,
The history of humanity is one of constant conflict and competition for resources like land, food, water, and women.
You whine about the fact that Europeans were and are better at this contest than any other race of men in the world.
You losers want us to regret being better at conquest and exploration than you were.
You want apologies and reparations from people who were stronger and smarter than you, people who unequivocally won.
WE AREN'T SORRY AND WE OWE YOU NOTHING. DEAL WITH IT.

https://pics.me.me/ore-em-dear-conquere ... 588725.png
How do you object to that?
I should have commented on the extreme sexism in that internet meme. Women are there listed like things, along with land, food, and water. This suggests that the "winning" of women is slavery and rape rather than "winning" a woman's affection in a situation in which she gets to decide. This fits with it being written by a loser who is repulsive to women, who cannot imagine a woman actually wanting him.
"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence." - David Hume
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Pattern-chaser wrote: December 6th, 2020, 11:25 am"Is" is an acknowledgement of what is, in the real world. "Ought" merely describes how I think things should be. It asserts that I believe that what is is wrong, and it should be otherwise.

baker wrote: December 6th, 2020, 11:43 am I can't really relate to this.

I can relate to how it sometimes applies to me, as in "I am like this, but I ought to be like that". But not beyond that.

Ought so and so be president?
Ought people not eat animals?
Ought the police be fair to the people they apprehend?
Etc.

I don't have simple yes or no answers to such questions. At most, I can come up with a list of pros and cons on each topic, but that's it.
Then refer to those matters on which you do have a definite opinion, rather than those which you find difficult to decide upon. Refer to those beliefs that you have where you think (but others may not) that something that is, ought to be otherwise.
  • "Is" is an acknowledgement of fact.
  • "Ought" is an assertion that you think something ought to be other than it is. [Unless you are simply agreeing that what is, is what you believe ought to be.]
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Jack D Ripper

Post by Jack D Ripper »

baker wrote: December 6th, 2020, 10:02 am
Jack D Ripper wrote: December 5th, 2020, 4:30 pmWhat you appear to be doing is confusing what is with what ought to be.
I asked this earlier:

If it were precisely the same, what would be the point in having the extra word? In the moral sense of the word, "ought" is used to express approval and "ought not" is used to express disapproval.

Now, whether it means more than that or not is a matter of some controversy, but it expresses approval or disapproval at least. One does not typically say that something is "good" or as it ought to be unless one approves of it. Likewise, when someone says that something is bad or that it is not as it ought to be, that someone disapproves of it.

Here are a couple of different theories:
Ethical subjectivism is the meta-ethical view which claims that:

Ethical sentences express propositions.
Some such propositions are true.
The truth or falsity of such propositions is ineliminably dependent on the (actual or hypothetical) attitudes of people.[1]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethical_subjectivism

So with ethical subjectivism, all there is to ethics is approval or disapproval and nothing more. However, there are still different types of ethical subjectivism, as, for example, the version discussed here, which is more complicated than the simple version suggested by what has been stated so far:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16933

The primary motive to go with ethical subjectivism is the fact that no one has demonstrated that there is anything more to ethics than that.

The primary motive that someone might go with the more complicated version at the link above is that it explains the "universality" of ethical judgements.

The first sentence of the following expresses the position of moral realism (the remainder contrasts it with other positions and divides moral realism into two types; it is included so that you can see that there are a lot of options that people take):
Moral realism (also ethical realism) is the position that ethical sentences express propositions that refer to objective features of the world (that is, features independent of subjective opinion), some of which may be true to the extent that they report those features accurately. This makes moral realism a non-nihilist form of ethical cognitivism (which accepts that ethical sentences express propositions and can therefore be evaluated as true or false) with an ontological orientation, standing in opposition to all forms of moral anti-realism[1] and moral skepticism, including ethical subjectivism (which denies that moral propositions refer to objective facts), error theory (which denies that any moral propositions are true); and non-cognitivism (which denies that moral sentences express propositions at all). Within moral realism, the two main subdivisions are ethical naturalism and ethical non-naturalism.[2]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_realism

The problem with moral realism is that no one has found these objective features of the world and objectively identified them. But it is probably the most popular view of ethics, at least historically.

But regardless of which ethical or moral theory one goes with, it is not simply how the world is.

The ancient Stoics believed that the world is rationally organized to a good end. With such a teleological framework, the is-ought distinction as it is typically understood, is rendered moot.

I introduced the stoics in an effort to answer the question of how to deal with the fact that the world is not as it ought to be. So I was interested in the practical side of their advice. I did not intend to endorse their world view. Perhaps I should have been clearer on that point.

As for what they claim about the world, they claim it is neutral, neither good nor bad. According to the stoics, what is good or bad is your attitude toward the world.

It looks like the Stoics didn't believe in the is-ought distinction, at least not in terms of a type of morality where the ought is an imperative per se. Instead, the Stoics seemed to believe that the ought only applies in practical terms, as in "In order to get result A, you ought to do B".

The morality would apply to individuals reacting to the world. The stoics would say that you morally ought to be okay with how the world is, to be okay with what you cannot change. And you are morally wrong to be upset about things you cannot change. They also would apply morality to your particular actions, so that what you do is subject to moral judgement, just as how you react to the world is subject to moral judgement.

But the moral sense of ought would not apply to the world outside of people's actions and attitudes toward the world, according to the stoics.

Most people do not take the stoics' position on this. But regardless of that, their practical advice still is practical. It does you no good to be upset about things you cannot change.
"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence." - David Hume

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream