Was Hobbes Mistaken about Human Nature?

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
Fellowmater

Re: Was Hobbes Mistaken about Human Nature?

Post by Fellowmater »

Sculptor1 wrote: December 11th, 2020, 3:40 pm I think the thread heading should be
Was Goldman Wrong about Hobbes?
I've that too. :D
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

HJCarden wrote: December 13th, 2020, 10:53 pm
Belindi wrote: December 11th, 2020, 9:34 am After Nietzsche we in all reason have to follow the dictum existence precedes meaning.

The moment of a man's death is the only time when, theoretically, a man knows the meaning(s) of his life. We make essence such as it will be.
Could this be a paradigm shift that would cause people to abandon such feelings? Truly a possibility, but one that I think isn't present in a lot of the things that I was talking about.

When I first reached some level of consciousness about my place in the world, I knew that I was an American, red blooded Bruce Springsteen Born in the USA, truly a part of a short, yet impressive cultural heritage. However, taking the statement in question to be true, it's only because I ascribed this meaning to my life that I then joined that search for immortality that the author and I believe are tied into one's culture and heritage.

Maybe another way to frame this question is if on a global scale people decided to live by this edict, would they not care for things such as race, religion, so on? But obviously these are all very important things to a great deal of people, so maybe its really that the vast majority of the world is unconvinced or ignorant to this idea?
Yes, your identity (race, religion, name, place of birth, belongings, loves, etc.) are who you think you are. Not only are you subject to your identity , your identity is a necessary springboard to who you might be next.(Gadamer).

There have been people, admittedly only a few, who abandoned all clinging to personal identity and gave themselves to a search for goodness, truth, or beauty. There are many more people who abandon bits of personal identity that they see to conflict with goodness , truth, or beauty. Civilised people who have access to Google do not have to be ignorant of the great possibilities of the existentialist edict.

The method for many is to begin in small ways and train oneself towards becoming an existential athlete.
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Post by Terrapin Station »

HJCarden wrote: December 13th, 2020, 10:42 pm Regardless, my main concern is not with statistical consensus, rather it is with the validity of Hobbes' conception of human nature.
The point is that human nature IS the totality of "how humans happen to be." And we need to look at how humans are to know that. We need to actually do the empirical observations.
baker

Post by baker »

Terrapin Station wrote: December 14th, 2020, 8:23 amThe point is that human nature IS the totality of "how humans happen to be." And we need to look at how humans are to know that. We need to actually do the empirical observations.
The result of empirical observations of humans is something chaotic, to say the least. There is so much variation among people.

I suspect that various maxims about human nature are actually instructions on how to think about human nature, not observations thereof. Similar to how "What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger" isn't a statement of empirical fact, but a motto one might live by, as in, 'If something doesn't kill me, I should learn from the experience and grow stronger for it, and not let it defeat me.'
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Post by Terrapin Station »

baker wrote: December 14th, 2020, 8:30 am
Terrapin Station wrote: December 14th, 2020, 8:23 amThe point is that human nature IS the totality of "how humans happen to be." And we need to look at how humans are to know that. We need to actually do the empirical observations.
The result of empirical observations of humans is something chaotic, to say the least. There is so much variation among people.

I suspect that various maxims about human nature are actually instructions on how to think about human nature, not observations thereof. Similar to how "What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger" isn't a statement of empirical fact, but a motto one might live by, as in, 'If something doesn't kill me, I should learn from the experience and grow stronger for it, and not let it defeat me.'
In which case we should probably move this sort of stuff to the self-help section rather than the philosophy section. :wink:
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

baker wrote: December 14th, 2020, 8:30 am

Human nature is unobservable since we can never delete culture and ideology from the lived experience to find the pure nature beneath.
All we can do is the point to massively generalised feature of the human condition, and hope they are not learned.
These might look like: Humans kill; humans die; humans eat; humans go hungry; humans are selfish; humans are sacrificing; humans nurture; humans fear; humans are fearless - ad nauseam.
We can be sure about human have two feet, walk upright and use opposable thumbs - but beyond that we are thrashing about in the dark.
baker

Post by baker »

Robert66 wrote: December 11th, 2020, 4:47 pmMy point is that we are unable to judge an individual, let alone calculate 'aggregate' 'human desires'.
And yet judging and making claims about "human nature" is very common among people.
baker

Post by baker »

HJCarden wrote: December 13th, 2020, 10:42 pmWould you agree that an everlasting life in a maximally blissful paradise is an attractive feature of believing in a certain creed?
No. Things that seem to good to be true usually are too good to be true.
Im inclined to think so, and judging by the amount of the world's population that is a part of a religion that offers something like this, I think theres good evidence for some consensus.
But perhaps it's not the idea of a blissfull eternity in heaven that attracts them, but the fear of eternal damnation; the idea that their enemies will burn in hell for all eternity (while they enjoy themselves in heaven) also seems quite attractive.

Do you know of a study where Abrahamists would compare which they prefer -- divine vengeance or eternal heaven? I bet they'd prefer divine vengance. Moral indignation and the craving for vengeance seem like stronger motives than lazy Sunday afternoon pleasures.

HJCarden wrote: December 13th, 2020, 11:03 pmMaybe it is truly to our best benefit that we can't know for certain our future. I liken it to someone stuck in a dead end job, where every day is just as mediocre as the last. Why wake up, why get dressed, why go into work? Yet as a species we've worked tirelessly for control over ourselves and our environment. There has to be some hidden part of the human condition that isnt readily apparent, which is why I do not categorically accept the edict that "existence precedes essence" as was mentioned elsewhere in the forum. I cant place my finger on what exactly this essence is, and its exactly for this reason that I remain skeptical about that claim.
Existence could precede essence if humans would be born in vacuums and not raised by anyone, or at least if a person would in no way be defined by their place of birth, the culture and environment they were born and raised in, and so on.
Existentialists are obsessed with the romantic idealistic notion of "self-creation".
Robert66

Post by Robert66 »

baker wrote: December 14th, 2020, 11:04 am
Robert66 wrote: December 11th, 2020, 4:47 pmMy point is that we are unable to judge an individual, let alone calculate 'aggregate' 'human desires'.
And yet judging and making claims about "human nature" is very common among people.
Unable to accurately judge, I should have written.

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream