Was Hobbes Mistaken about Human Nature?

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
HJCarden

Was Hobbes Mistaken about Human Nature?

Post by HJCarden »

Reading a book entitled "How Civilizations Die" by David P. Goldman (DISCLAIMER: found this book in a dumpster so uncertain if it's worthwhile, but it's good so far).

One of the claims that the book makes, is that Hobbes mistakenly believed that all humans were concerned with are things like power, domination, survival and so on. The author says that Hobbes has left out some critical element to human nature, and believes that while we are often concerned for the time being with our survival and things that will free us from the "brutish" state of nature, we have an additional desire for immortality.

This is a big assumption itself, but one that I think can be justified. Theists who believe in a heaven are concerned with reaching this eternal afterlife, the hoarder of acclaim and glory wants their name to be in the history books, I even the most die hard nihilists would like to have a good impact upon the lives of others that lasts after their death (have any nihilists written wills?). Of course there are those who do truly not care for any sort of life after death, which is viable, but I suspect on the whole, through one of these means I've listed or something else, on the aggregate we desire some degree of immortality, and that conflicts with some of these other needs. For example, one might wish to imitate the selflessness of Mother Theresa, which certainly goes against these Hobbsean ideas, in order to gain favor in heaven or acclaim in future generations.

Back to the point the author was making, he stated that if a society (in example, the rapidly declining birthrates in the Islamic world) is under threat of collapse, people will act "irrationally" if you look at it from a purely Hobbsean perspective, but are acting in an understandable manner as they are under the impression that their nationality, culture, ethnic heritage is threatened. Our nationality and so on is something the author believes carries a large amount of the burden of filling this desire for immortality, and when that is doomed, we are left hopeless and confused. Some respond with decadence, others with violence, and this is not due to a lack of resources, but rather our hope of immortality is wounded possibly beyond repair.

So my questions are

1. Do you agree with the author that Hobbes is mistaken about human desires (on the aggregate, not personally)? If so, what might the genealogy of this desire for immortality look like?

2. Do you feel a desire for immortality personally? What are some ways that I didn't mention that you believe people express this desire?

3. Do you think the author is right in that we consciously or subconsciously tie up a lot of hope for immortality in the success of our culture, nation, heritage? I would think the answer to this might be a challenge to Nietzsche's statement that we have killed God and replaced him with nothing.

As for my thoughts, I agree with the author, and what I'm assuming his later assertion will be that our desire for immortality (broadly defined of course) is more important than these Hobbsean needs. I think there is great evidence that when faced with annihilation of our "future selves" we do act in this apparently irrational manner, and from this I conclude that this points to a unique feature of human psychology, one that I think might be deserving of another post. I'll evaluate my ideas further, and hopefully continue with some conclusions in a new thread.

As always, interested to hear ideas, and I'll try to respond as quickly as my schedule allows.
hegel

Re: Was Hobbes Mistaken about Human Nature?

Post by hegel »

Have to go with Hobbes. I have never wanted immortality and do not even understand the desire for it. I think it is just fear of death and the unknown.

I don't think Hobbes wanted to suppress religious impulses but neither did he think the political states should be concerned with the desire for immortality.
evolution

Post by evolution »

HJCarden wrote: December 10th, 2020, 9:57 pm Reading a book entitled "How Civilizations Die" by David P. Goldman (DISCLAIMER: found this book in a dumpster so uncertain if it's worthwhile, but it's good so far).

One of the claims that the book makes, is that Hobbes mistakenly believed that all humans were concerned with are things like power, domination, survival and so on.
OBVIOUSLY, while human beings WANT to live, then they ALL are concerned with survival. But NOT ALL surviving human beings are concerned with things like power NOR domination at all.
HJCarden wrote: December 10th, 2020, 9:57 pm The author says that Hobbes has left out some critical element to human nature, and believes that while we are often concerned for the time being with our survival and things that will free us from the "brutish" state of nature, we have an additional desire for immortality.
This, 'additional', desire for immortality is BECAUSE thee True Self IS 'immortal', naturally.
HJCarden wrote: December 10th, 2020, 9:57 pm This is a big assumption itself, but one that I think can be justified. Theists who believe in a heaven are concerned with reaching this eternal afterlife, the hoarder of acclaim and glory wants their name to be in the history books, I even the most die hard nihilists would like to have a good impact upon the lives of others that lasts after their death (have any nihilists written wills?).
When one is 'alive', then they have ALREADY reached thee One and ONLY 'eternal Life'. The 'afterlife' is just in relation to a different kind of 'life'. This will become UNDERSTOOD later on.
HJCarden wrote: December 10th, 2020, 9:57 pm Of course there are those who do truly not care for any sort of life after death, which is viable, but I suspect on the whole, through one of these means I've listed or something else, on the aggregate we desire some degree of immortality, and that conflicts with some of these other needs. For example, one might wish to imitate the selflessness of Mother Theresa, which certainly goes against these Hobbsean ideas, in order to gain favor in heaven or acclaim in future generations.

Back to the point the author was making, he stated that if a society (in example, the rapidly declining birthrates in the Islamic world) is under threat of collapse, people will act "irrationally" if you look at it from a purely Hobbsean perspective, but are acting in an understandable manner as they are under the impression that their nationality, culture, ethnic heritage is threatened.
But 'who' is the "our"?

And, what is "your" nationality, culture, ethnic heritage?

These things ARE CHANGING, ALL OF THE TIME.
HJCarden wrote: December 10th, 2020, 9:57 pm Our nationality and so on is something the author believes carries a large amount of the burden of filling this desire for immortality, and when that is doomed, we are left hopeless and confused.
Until you can EXPLAIN and CLARIFY, FULLY, what "our nationality" is, EXACTLY, then what you are 'trying to' CLAIM here will NOT be FULLY UNDERSTOOD.

Also, and by the way, the reason human beings have a desire for immortality is just related to their desire for 'life' itself, or to their desire to live.
HJCarden wrote: December 10th, 2020, 9:57 pm Some respond with decadence, others with violence, and this is not due to a lack of resources, but rather our hope of immortality is wounded possibly beyond repair.

So my questions are

1. Do you agree with the author that Hobbes is mistaken about human desires (on the aggregate, not personally)? If so, what might the genealogy of this desire for immortality look like?
The genealogy of this desire for immortality can be CLEARLY RECOGNIZED and SEEN when one KNOWS who AND what they Truly are.

Thee, eternal, True Self, which ALL human beings are a part of, or are related to, is WHERE thee genealogy of immortality originates from, and WHY the desire for immortality is within ALL human beings, but which is suppressed within those human beings who do not desire to live anymore.
HJCarden wrote: December 10th, 2020, 9:57 pm 2. Do you feel a desire for immortality personally?
For those who answer, "No", then recall back to when you were younger. And, then think about when you were MUCH younger and how you just lived like you were going to forever, without ANY perception of being mortal. You did not just have a desire to live forever. Living forever, or being immortal, was just a part of Natural Life, or just a natural part of your life.
HJCarden wrote: December 10th, 2020, 9:57 pm What are some ways that I didn't mention that you believe people express this desire?
I do NOT believe any thing.
HJCarden wrote: December 10th, 2020, 9:57 pm 3. Do you think the author is right in that we consciously or subconsciously tie up a lot of hope for immortality in the success of our culture, nation, heritage?
The, so called, "culture", "nation", and "heritage" of thy True Self and the 'success' of this may be related to the, so called, "hope for immortality" but this is because they are a part of 'our' True Self. But, the culture, nation, and heritage of ANY perceived difference in relation to 'you', human beings, has NOT YET been defined NOR clarified. Until then the "success", or not, of these things could not be ascertained.
HJCarden wrote: December 10th, 2020, 9:57 pm I would think the answer to this might be a challenge to Nietzsche's statement that we have killed God and replaced him with nothing.
Human beings kill off/block out 'God', which is just thee True Self, through their BELIEVING, and through their BELIEVING that they have their own individual culture, nation, and/or heritage.
HJCarden wrote: December 10th, 2020, 9:57 pm As for my thoughts, I agree with the author, and what I'm assuming his later assertion will be that our desire for immortality (broadly defined of course) is more important than these Hobbsean needs. I think there is great evidence that when faced with annihilation of our "future selves" we do act in this apparently irrational manner, and from this I conclude that this points to a unique feature of human psychology, one that I think might be deserving of another post. I'll evaluate my ideas further, and hopefully continue with some conclusions in a new thread.

As always, interested to hear ideas, and I'll try to respond as quickly as my schedule allows.
Marvin_Edwards
Favorite Philosopher: William James

Post by Marvin_Edwards »

The problem with immortality is that we eventually run out of space and resources and end up crowded and starving forever. So, each life is both temporary and recyclable.
evolution

Post by evolution »

Marvin_Edwards wrote: December 11th, 2020, 8:28 am The problem with immortality is that we eventually run out of space and resources and end up crowded and starving forever. So, each life is both temporary and recyclable.
How could thee eternal and infinite Universe run out of space and resources?
baker

Post by baker »

HJCarden wrote: December 10th, 2020, 9:57 pm1. Do you agree with the author that Hobbes is mistaken about human desires (on the aggregate, not personally)? If so, what might the genealogy of this desire for immortality look like?
I think that an awareness of one's procrastination, one's limited energy, limited resources, limited opportunities, limited abilities lead one to crave more time. Ultimately, this can lead to what is, for all practical intents and purposes, a desire for immortality.

Then there's the problem of finding living to be worthwhile: Given that one could die or become maimed (due to disease or injury) at any time, so that one cannot work on one's projects anymore, and this is ultimately beyond one's control, then where does one find the motivation to even get out of bed in the morning? It's too hard to begin when you know it will end.

I don't think people generally want to live forever; I also don't think they fear death. I think they fear living meaningless lives. The inevitability of death sharpens this fear to great proportions.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

After Nietzsche we in all reason have to follow the dictum existence precedes meaning.

The moment of a man's death is the only time when, theoretically, a man knows the meaning(s) of his life. We make essence such as it will be.
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Post by Terrapin Station »

People vary a lot. If we're going to make comments about what most people are like, we'd better have very extensive survey data, and that survey data had better be very methodologically sound. Part of the methodological soundness would require that we somehow figure out a way to observe people under a wide variety of circumstances, over a long period of time (because not only do individuals vary from each other, but a single individual will vary over time and circumstance), where the person isn't aware of being observed, and where we still have some means of observing what they're thinking/feeling.
impermanence

Post by impermanence »

I always kind of thought that people would go immediately insane based on either of the following conditions...the first being that they had achieved immortality, and the second that they knew what the future held. Perhaps this is why we are wired such that we can not know such things?

Seems reasonable to assume that what makes life worth living is the unknown [the unknowable].
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

HJCarden wrote: December 10th, 2020, 9:57 pm Reading a book entitled "How Civilizations Die" by David P. Goldman (DISCLAIMER: found this book in a dumpster so uncertain if it's worthwhile, but it's good so far).

One of the claims that the book makes, is that Hobbes mistakenly believed that all humans were concerned with are things like power, domination, survival and so on. The author says that Hobbes has left out some critical element to human nature, and believes that while we are often concerned for the time being with our survival and things that will free us from the "brutish" state of nature, we have an additional desire for immortality.

This is a big assumption itself, but one that I think can be justified. Theists who believe in a heaven are concerned with reaching this eternal afterlife, the hoarder of acclaim and glory wants their name to be in the history books, I even the most die hard nihilists would like to have a good impact upon the lives of others that lasts after their death (have any nihilists written wills?). Of course there are those who do truly not care for any sort of life after death, which is viable, but I suspect on the whole, through one of these means I've listed or something else, on the aggregate we desire some degree of immortality, and that conflicts with some of these other needs. For example, one might wish to imitate the selflessness of Mother Theresa, which certainly goes against these Hobbsean ideas, in order to gain favor in heaven or acclaim in future generations.

Back to the point the author was making, he stated that if a society (in example, the rapidly declining birthrates in the Islamic world) is under threat of collapse, people will act "irrationally" if you look at it from a purely Hobbsean perspective, but are acting in an understandable manner as they are under the impression that their nationality, culture, ethnic heritage is threatened. Our nationality and so on is something the author believes carries a large amount of the burden of filling this desire for immortality, and when that is doomed, we are left hopeless and confused. Some respond with decadence, others with violence, and this is not due to a lack of resources, but rather our hope of immortality is wounded possibly beyond repair.

So my questions are

2. Do you feel a desire for immortality personally? What are some ways that I didn't mention that you believe people express this desire?

3. Do you think the author is right in that we consciously or subconsciously tie up a lot of hope for immortality in the success of our culture, nation, heritage? I would think the answer to this might be a challenge to Nietzsche's statement that we have killed God and replaced him with nothing.

As for my thoughts, I agree with the author, and what I'm assuming his later assertion will be that our desire for immortality (broadly defined of course) is more important than these Hobbsean needs. I think there is great evidence that when faced with annihilation of our "future selves" we do act in this apparently irrational manner, and from this I conclude that this points to a unique feature of human psychology, one that I think might be deserving of another post. I'll evaluate my ideas further, and hopefully continue with some conclusions in a new thread.

You are better off going to the sources; Leviathan and Behemoth. His most quoted phrase is that life for men in a state of nature is nasty brutish and short. But the point about his writing is that men are no longer in a state of nature but have entered into a social contract with a heirachy of leadership, and this imposes a set of reponsibilities upon that leadership. The masses exhange some freedoms for the security of the state.
Hobbes lived during the Civl War, at a time when that contract had been broken by the King Charles the First. That King lost his head for that very reason, and a war was fought resulting in the Commonwealth of Cromwell.

Your references to "immortality" are irrelevant and ideosyncratic bearing no relationship to anything Hobbes said at any time, as far as I remember.

The only reference to this book I have found is with a right wing publishing house Regenery.
One has to ask what sort of axe a man called "Goldman" has to grind with a book subtitled "Why Islam is Dying Too", in a book whose publishing house has published people like Palin, Gingridge and Pence.

There is probably a very good reason why it was in a dumpster. I suggest you return it there, or burn it.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

I think the thread heading should be
Was Goldman Wrong about Hobbes?
Robert66

Post by Robert66 »

I don't remember what Hobbes said (too long ago), but I agree with Sculptor1 that, based on Hobbes' writings, the 'immortality' discussion is irrelevant, and with Terrapin Station that 'people vary a lot'. And understanding the nature of even one human is difficult. Consider for example the post by Sculptor1 in this thread. Obviously well-read and with a good understanding of the subject, Sculptor1 nevertheless suggests burning the problematic book. And who could determine the desires of Evolution (capitalised for clarity)? I confess that I cannot fully read anything by Evolution, because of the formatting, the ALL-CAPS in your face style, the paradoxical fixation with being UNDERSTOOD, and the repeated misuse of 'thee'.

My point is that we are unable to judge an individual, let alone calculate 'aggregate' 'human desires'.
Robert66

Post by Robert66 »

When truth is unpalatable, natural human responses range from a) commit suicide, to z) go on a shooting spree at nearest kindergarten, with h) swallowing the lie somewhere near the middle, along with DILLIGAF, "might as well Trump!" (EVH RIP ref).

Cut off their heads,
Burn the books,
Weed out the 'other',
Feed only your chooks.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Robert66 wrote: December 11th, 2020, 4:47 pm I don't remember what Hobbes said (too long ago), but I agree with Sculptor1 that, based on Hobbes' writings, the 'immortality' discussion is irrelevant, and with Terrapin Station that 'people vary a lot'. And understanding the nature of even one human is difficult. Consider for example the post by Sculptor1 in this thread. Obviously well-read and with a good understanding of the subject, Sculptor1 nevertheless suggests burning the problematic book. And who could determine the desires of Evolution (capitalised for clarity)? I confess that I cannot fully read anything by Evolution, because of the formatting, the ALL-CAPS in your face style, the paradoxical fixation with being UNDERSTOOD, and the repeated misuse of 'thee'.

My point is that we are unable to judge an individual, let alone calculate 'aggregate' 'human desires'.
Ta very much
evolution

Post by evolution »

Robert66 wrote: December 11th, 2020, 4:47 pm I don't remember what Hobbes said (too long ago), but I agree with Sculptor1 that, based on Hobbes' writings, the 'immortality' discussion is irrelevant, and with Terrapin Station that 'people vary a lot'. And understanding the nature of even one human is difficult. Consider for example the post by Sculptor1 in this thread. Obviously well-read and with a good understanding of the subject, Sculptor1 nevertheless suggests burning the problematic book. And who could determine the desires of Evolution (capitalised for clarity)?
EVERY one, through CLARITY, which is done through CLARIFICATION, which is achieved by just asking CLARIFYING QUESTIONS.

By the way the True 'desires' of EVERY one are the EXACT SAME, which is found VERY SIMPLY and VERY EASILY just through Honesty and CLARIFICATION.
Robert66 wrote: December 11th, 2020, 4:47 pm I confess that I cannot fully read anything by Evolution, because of the formatting, the ALL-CAPS in your face style, the paradoxical fixation with being UNDERSTOOD, and the repeated misuse of 'thee'.
So, you ALLEGE 'you' can NOT read FULLY ANY 'thing' written down by someone, because of the, so called, "formatting", the ALL-CAPS in the WRONG INTERPRETED "in your face" style, the 'paradoxical' fixation, (without EVERY KNOWING what the word 'paradoxical' ACTUALLY MEANS, from the writer), with being UNDERSTOOD, and the repeated misuse of the word 'thee', correct?

By the way, what is to be only Truly UNDERSTOOD, in what I write, is what I suggest 'you', human beings, do. That is; IF 'you' REALLY do want to UNDERSTAND each "other", thee True Self, and the WHOLE story of 'Life', Itself. See, I do NOT what to be UNDERSTOOD here, in this forum. I use this forum to SHOW future peoples how no matter how many times adult human beings are TOLD what to do and is NECESSARY to gain thee unified knowledge of Everything, they still can NOT see 'it'. As EVIDENCE and PROVEN, once again, in what you have written here.

Also, If I, supposedly, 'misuse' the word 'thee', then what is the CORRECT way to 'use' the word 'thee'?
Robert66 wrote: December 11th, 2020, 4:47 pm My point is that we are unable to judge an individual, let alone calculate 'aggregate' 'human desires'.
Is 'judge' the RIGHT WORD here?

You are ABSOLUTELY RIGHT in that you are UNABLE to "judge", or better still KNOW, 'another' individual IF you do NOT ask them CLARIFYING QUESTIONS, and you just 'try to' "judge" them/KNOW them by the words alone, which are being 'interpreted' by and from YOUR perspective ONLY.

KNOWING 'aggregated' 'human desires' is EXTREMELY EASY to, so call, 'calculate' once one has FULLY UNDERSTOOD the self, and thee Self, ALREADY.

Actually 'calculating' is COMPLETELY UNNECESSARY as ALREADY KNOWING ALREADY exists.

By the way, and for your information, the ALL-CAPS is used, by me, to DISTRACT 'you' people, in the days of when this is being written, from thee ACTUAL 'message/s', which are within my writings. I do this so that I have thee ACTUAL EVIDENCE and PROOF, to SHOW and REVEAL to those who are prepared to LOOK and LEARN, that the ACTUAL MESSAGES can be CLEARLY SEEN in these words that I have used. However, because of how the Mind and the brain ACTUALLY WORK, the human beings in the days of when this is being written just can NOT SEE 'them'.

Although the MESSAGES are written VERY CLEARLY the ability for human beings to be able to deceive and fool "themselves" can override human beings from SEEING thee ACTUAL Truth of things even when It is 'staring 'you' in the face'. To SHOW, with PROOF, of just how this DECEPTION actually takes place I used 'you', posters, and "volunteers", in this forum, in the days of when this is being written.

But that is enough about 'me'.

Back to the topic, 'human nature' is ALREADY KNOWN, and this is HOW I will ACHIEVE what 'it' IS, which EVERY human being Truly WANTS and DESIRES.

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream