The ethics of flogging a dead horse

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Re: The ethics of flogging a dead horse

Post by Sy Borg »

Steve3007 wrote: March 9th, 2021, 12:21 pm If instead of just sitting on it, he'd skinned it and stretched the skin across a wooden frame and then sat on that, would that be more respectful to the dignity of the dead horse?
It seems worse to sit on a cadaver. The fact that we must kill to live is something we tend to avoid thinking about. Each degree of separation from a warm corpse to a processed animal product results in less disturbance. So, back when people worse fur coats, many would baulk at having the animals head still attached. It is confronting to be faced with our entropic existence, so we tend to like meats to packaged in such a way that the animal is unrecognisable. People can find ox tongue offputting, as with Chinese food shop displays of throttled ducks dangling off hooks. Chop it all up and put it in a plastic pack and no probs!
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Sy Borg wrote: March 10th, 2021, 9:06 pm
Steve3007 wrote: March 9th, 2021, 12:21 pm If instead of just sitting on it, he'd skinned it and stretched the skin across a wooden frame and then sat on that, would that be more respectful to the dignity of the dead horse?
It seems worse to sit on a cadaver. The fact that we must kill to live is something we tend to avoid thinking about. Each degree of separation from a warm corpse to a processed animal product results in less disturbance. So, back when people worse fur coats, many would baulk at having the animals head still attached. It is confronting to be faced with our entropic existence, so we tend to like meats to packaged in such a way that the animal is unrecognisable. People can find ox tongue offputting, as with Chinese food shop displays of throttled ducks dangling off hooks. Chop it all up and put it in a plastic pack and no probs!
But does "respect" lie in internal attitudes or externally viewed behaviors?
"As usual... it depends."
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

LuckyR wrote: March 11th, 2021, 2:29 am But does "respect" lie in internal attitudes or externally viewed behaviors?
Doesn't the former lead directly to the latter?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

LuckyR wrote: March 11th, 2021, 2:29 am
The external is evidence of the inner.

Not sure why a dig at China is apposite here. I've seen phesants offered for sale in the UK stung by the neck, though you do not see that so much these days.
The plasticising of meat products is a way to separate the reality of meat eating from the public. The industry has shot itself in the foot I think. When people find out the truth, they are horrified and go vegetarian.
Papus79

Post by Papus79 »

I didn't really see this thread until recently but I think my own read of what's happening - I think, at least somewhere subconsciously, people realize that human depravity has - in potential - almost no bottom. A lot of people's outrage at someone sitting on a dead horse would be at what sort of slippery slope it represents. I actually don't think it's necessarily wrong to be alarmed or disgusted by that sort of thing, just that people's reactions can be quite offkey if they don't grasp where that anger is coming from (and as well they end up violating these rules in their own lives constantly in less pronounced ways but which still damage public goodwill).
Humbly watching Youtube in Universe 25. - Me
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Papus79 wrote:A lot of people's outrage at someone sitting on a dead horse would be at what sort of slippery slope it represents.
I think you're right that that is the source of a lot of outrage. It's a point that's been made by several other posters. But one point I raised was one of consistency. Do you think there is any value in being consistent in what we find outrageous and what we find acceptable? If so, would you see any inconsistency in, for example, sitting on a leather chair, eating a burger made from intensively reared beef, and shouting with outrage at the TV when a story comes on the news about a man sitting on a dead horse?

If you don't think there is value in that kind of consistency, it's understandable. We're almost all inconsistent in that respect to some extent. For example, most people are, for obvious reasons, inconsistent in our attitudes towards human life and non-human animal life. We'd regard sitting on a dead human as even worse! So if we're also inconsistent in our attitudes towards horses and cows, that's understandable.
Papus79

Post by Papus79 »

Steve3007 wrote: March 11th, 2021, 1:22 pm Do you think there is any value in being consistent in what we find outrageous and what we find acceptable? If so, would you see any inconsistency in, for example, sitting on a leather chair, eating a burger made from intensively reared beef, and shouting with outrage at the TV when a story comes on the news about a man sitting on a dead horse?
The lovely US outrage mobs we have which are trying to cancel just about everything that's not nailed down at least shows me that there's as much motivation to twist this impulse in hyperbolic directions as there is to understate it.

I don't think consistency will be possible for as long as people keep this to emotional disgust. The number of 'nerds' lets say (thinking of people like Bret Weinstein or Sam Harris) who can pull themselves back from highly emotionally charged things, analyze them, and pull a principle out that helps straighten what would have otherwise just been sensed as an isolated emotional reaction (non-nerds), we'd have to move as a culture to being nerdier. It's not to say we we should be assaulting our emotions, emotions as far as I can tell adjust to incoming information and the better that information is the better our house-keeping on information inform us.

With eating meat or using leather - its an open question as to whether all of humanity can survive well as vegans. It's also an open question as to - if we have to kill for food because it's just part of what's required for maintaining our species - what uses of an animal's body are actually optimizing our utility and causing us to be less destructive vs. which applications of animal product give us a more sadistic or psychopathic contextual framing for non-human life. Eating Jell-O or me taking collagen hydrolase for my shoulders probably won't do it, leather's a funny thing because when it's cured enough it doesn't give away any obvious sense that it's an animal skin.

The parsing difficulty is that there are immovable objects, such as some people needing to eat meat, and there are the dials of human motivation which have to be calibrated very carefully not to have societies filled with arms races which aim at maximizing defection.
Papus79

Post by Papus79 »

Papus79 wrote: March 11th, 2021, 1:33 pm It's not to say we we should be assaulting our emotions, emotions as far as I can tell adjust to incoming information and the better that information is the better our house-keeping on information inform us.
Oops - meant to say the better housekeeping we do on information the better the information that our emotions give us.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Sculptor1 wrote: March 11th, 2021, 6:22 am

Not sure why a dig at China is apposite here. I've seen phesants offered for sale in the UK stung by the neck, though you do not see that so much these days.
Not a dig, just an observation. It's extremely important at this fraught time to tell the difference. It was a harmless observation that, back in the day, it was only ever Chinese food shops that hung ducks up in that way. I don't see that much any more but it used to be pretty common - but only in Chinese food shops.

But, as you said, the point of the nice packaging is to hide the truth of meat eating. It's so pretentious, when you think about it, how many of us put on these refined airs and then we mindlessly chow down into the bodies of animals that had been tortured and slaughtered on our behalf. We remain beasts, no matter how much we want to pretend we are different to other beasts.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Sy Borg wrote: March 11th, 2021, 8:10 pm

Not a dig, just an observation. It's extremely important at this fraught time to tell the difference. It was a harmless observation that, back in the day, it was only ever Chinese food shops that hung ducks up in that way. I don't see that much any more but it used to be pretty common - but only in Chinese food shops.

But, as you said, the point of the nice packaging is to hide the truth of meat eating. It's so pretentious, when you think about it, how many of us put on these refined airs and then we mindlessly chow down into the bodies of animals that had been tortured and slaughtered on our behalf. We remain beasts, no matter how much we want to pretend we are different to other beasts.
But which is better: pretending to not be a beast, or embracing one's beastliness?
"As usual... it depends."
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

What - you never seen a pigs head in an English butchers. What's the issue here?

Farm animals are no often "tortured" though the vegan brigade like to spread the myth.

We are beasts, true. But we have the potential to kill our food with less pain and suffering than nature offers.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Not sure why a dig at China is apposite here. I've seen pheasants offered for sale in the UK stung by the neck, though you do not see that so much these days.

I disagree. In the UK, "back in the day" when I was a lad, butchers and game merchants displayed their wares in exactly that way, as Sculptor1 describes. I used to see them as I walked to school. Lines of pheasants, rabbits, sheep, ducks, and other assorted corpses, hanging up with hooks through them.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

LuckyR wrote: March 12th, 2021, 2:16 am But which is better: pretending to not be a beast, or embracing one's beastliness?

Well the latter is at least honest, and isn't honesty "better" than pretence?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

I think the mini-argument that's broken out between Sculptor1, Sy Borg and Pattern-chaser about who openly displayed dead animals when is probably just a matter of different cultures. The question of whether there were slightly different cultures in the UK and Australia isn't really relevant to the general principle. The general principle is about the honesty with which the origins of meat products are displayed - neatly wrapped in clingfilm versus hanging upside-down, dead-eyed, from a blood-stained hook.
runaway

Post by runaway »

I think it is disrespectful to sit on a horses corpse. However, I wouldn’t say it was immoral as the horse is gone and isn’t going to be suffering for it. I would only say it was immoral if it was done to deliberately upset the owners of the horse or something as that would be unnecessary cruelty to people who are still alive.

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream