The ethics of flogging a dead horse

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
Sculptor1

Re: The ethics of flogging a dead horse

Post by Sculptor1 »

Steve3007 wrote: March 9th, 2021, 9:43 am
The latter displays our need to eat, but is, perhaps, also disrespectful.
Just as an incidental point, I'd see the need to eat beef, as opposed to some other kind of food, as roughly equal to the need to sit on a dead horse, as opposed to some other kind of chair.
Except that a dead animal is not a chair of any kind.
And I do not eat chairs. Neither do I ride chairs in races. Chairs are not waiting to be taken to the knackers for rendering into dog food.
So your analogy is poor.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Sculptor1 wrote:Except that a dead animal is not a chair of any kind.
Some are. Some chairs are made of leather.
And I do not eat chairs. Neither do I ride chairs in races. Chairs are not waiting to be taken to the knackers for rendering into dog food.
So your analogy is poor.
I didn't say you did. I disagree that the comparison is poor.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Steve3007 wrote: March 9th, 2021, 10:39 am
Sculptor1 wrote:Except that a dead animal is not a chair of any kind.
Some are. Some chairs are made of leather.
Silly boy.
It is not the same to say that a dead is not a chair and that a chair is not a dead animal.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

If instead of just sitting on it, he'd skinned it and stretched the skin across a wooden frame and then sat on that, would that be more respectful to the dignity of the dead horse?
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Anyway, I guess this topic has probably run its course. Going on about it for much longer would probably just be ... flogging a dead horse!
baker

Post by baker »

This thread has revealed about some posters here things because of which I cannot post here in good faith anymore.
BobS

Post by BobS »

Pattern-chaser wrote: March 9th, 2021, 7:39 am
BobS wrote: March 8th, 2021, 5:42 pm
Pattern-chaser wrote: March 8th, 2021, 9:04 am
BobS wrote: March 7th, 2021, 2:50 pm
It's "excessive" to suggest that there's a difference between thoughtlessly sitting on a dead horse and running over a living human being (or even a living horse)? Say what?

And lacking "sympathy, empathy and understanding" for whom? The dead horse? Are you really suggesting that that overshadows my suggesting sympathy, empathy and understanding for the horse trainer?

Really?
Yes, really.
Do I correctly understand you to be saying "yes" to both questions?
The two cases are similar in that the actor acts thoughtlessly; they give no thought to the consequences of their actions. The consequences themselves are quite different, and therefore difficult to compare.
Thus neatly avoiding a direct answer in the face of your obviously having said "yes" the first time around.

So, although you actually are capable of perceiving that "the consequences themselves are quite different", your original answer to the questions was "yes". To restate just the first proposition that you affirmed: in your world, yes, "It's 'excessive' to suggest that there's a difference between thoughtlessly sitting on a dead horse and running over a living human being (or even a living horse)."

Thus, according to your Alice in Wonderland logic, it's excessive to suggest that "there's a difference," even though "the consequences themselves are quite different, and therefore difficult to compare." Cool! Off with my head for making such an excessive suggestion!
Pattern-chaser wrote: March 9th, 2021, 7:39 am
BobS wrote: March 8th, 2021, 5:42 pm
Pattern-chaser wrote: You seem to place no priority on treating an animal, even a dead animal, with dignity and respect.
"No priority." OK, where did I say that?
As you know quite well, you didn't use those words. But your text seemed to communicate that sentiment, quite clearly, I would say.
Although I "quite clearly" communicated the sentiment that I place "no priority" on treating animals with respect, you're unable to quote language where I "quite clearly" did that? Maybe English isn't your first language, because I never came close to expressing that sentiment, as opposed to suggesting a sense of proportion, disagreeable as that is to the finger-pointers (such as yourself, it has turned out). Such difficulty to sort through plain language would also account for your remarkable ability to say, without blushing, that it's excessive to suggest that "there's a difference" where "the consequences themselves are quite different, and therefore difficult to compare."

But I suggest that more likely than a lack of reading comprehension, the real reason for your response it that, like so many holier-than-thou types, you simply couldn't handle someone's not having the same extreme reaction to the dead horse story that you did. In such a world, suggesting a sense of perspective regarding that story is itself considered "excessive," and then rephrased, for debating purposes, into a sentiment that places "no priority" on respect for animals.

My boy, it's as though the Internet Age was made to order for you.

As I've said elsewhere, one merely has to view threads such as this one so as to have no doubt as to why there are wars.
BobS

Post by BobS »

Pattern-chaser wrote: March 9th, 2021, 7:41 am Consequences.
One of which is your current, gleeful message.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

baker wrote:This thread has revealed about some posters here things because of which I cannot post here in good faith anymore.
But you're not going to say what those things that you say have been revealed or who those posters are? And you're not going to respond to any of the things that have been said to you? That's a pity.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

BobS wrote: March 9th, 2021, 3:47 pm Thus neatly avoiding a direct answer in the face of your obviously having said "yes" the first time around.

So, although you actually are capable of perceiving that "the consequences themselves are quite different", your original answer to the questions was "yes".
As it happens, I was responding to your final question, not to all of them, but it doesn't matter. I mis-wrote, and as a result you misunderstood. My apologies. Have you never done such a thing yourself? And, when you have, have you reacted as angrily?

If you're prepared to continue with courtesy and respect, I will gladly do likewise. Otherwise, "my boy", this exchange is complete.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

BobS wrote: March 9th, 2021, 4:50 pm
What message?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
BobS

Post by BobS »

Pattern-chaser wrote: March 10th, 2021, 9:24 am
BobS wrote: March 9th, 2021, 4:50 pm
What message?
The one to which I was replying.

I hadn't thought it was necessary to quote your full statement, because the "Consequences" bit was the important part. But since we're now a couple messages along in the thread, let me quote the entire thing:
Pattern-chaser wrote: March 9th, 2021, 7:41 am He also lost business, as owners took their horses elsewhere. Perhaps his livelihood has disappeared, as a result of the public reaction to his actions. He may never work again. Consequences.
What? You didn't expressly say that you felt "glee"? Well, no one said that you did.

Let me quote your own words, words designed for just this kind of occasion:
Pattern-chaser wrote: March 9th, 2021, 7:39 am As you know quite well, you didn't use those words. But your text seemed to communicate that sentiment, quite clearly, I would say.
Such was your justification for ascribing to me a complete lack of respect for animals, based on the fact that I had merely suggested that the issue be approached with some sense of proportion.

If that approach works for you, it works for me in the present case. The only difference being that your labeling of the horse trainer's possibly losing his entire livelihood as mere "consequences" certainly does evince delight in what's happening to the guy.

I say this of your reaction to the story of the "consequences" that the horse trainer is suffering:
Pattern-chaser wrote: March 7th, 2021, 12:35 pm I suggest that your reaction to this story is a bit excessive; it lacks sympathy, empathy and understanding, but that's just my opinion. I may be quite wrong; it's happened before.
BobS

Post by BobS »

Pattern-chaser wrote: March 10th, 2021, 9:23 am
BobS wrote: March 9th, 2021, 3:47 pm Thus neatly avoiding a direct answer in the face of your obviously having said "yes" the first time around.

So, although you actually are capable of perceiving that "the consequences themselves are quite different", your original answer to the questions was "yes".
As it happens, I was responding to your final question, not to all of them, but it doesn't matter. I mis-wrote, and as a result you misunderstood. My apologies. Have you never done such a thing yourself? And, when you have, have you reacted as angrily?
The trouble is that your weren't responding to just the final question. (I'll address why that's problematic below.) It wasn't clear the first time around, which is why I asked, but you made it clear when you responded to my further question.

Here are the two original questions:
BobS wrote: March 8th, 2021, 5:42 pm Do I correctly understand you to be saying "yes" to both questions? That is,

(1) You think it's excessive to suggest that there's a difference between thoughtlessly sitting on a dead horse and running over a pedestrian.

And

(2) You think it's excessive to suggest that sympathy, empathy and understanding for a dead horse should not overshadow sympathy, empathy and understanding for the horse trainer whose livelihood was threatened merely for sitting on a dead animal?
Here's your later clarification, after I asked you whether you were saying "yes" to both questions.
Pattern-chaser wrote: March 9th, 2021, 7:39 am The two cases are similar in that the actor acts thoughtlessly; they give no thought to the consequences of their actions. The consequences themselves are quite different, and therefore difficult to compare.
Two cases being similar "in that the actor acts thoughtlessly" clearly concerns the first question, not the final one. The dead horse in the second question simply wasn't an actor that acted thoughtlessly. Agree?

As for whether it matters. No, the specific subject per se doesn't matter. But where it enters into this is that it's part and parcel of the overarching issue of how you've insisted on twisting my position about approaching issues with a sense of proportion into an immoral utter lack of respect for animals. (The village duh-meister did the same thing.) That first question was directed to the issue of proportion, and when you responded by agreeing with it, you were tacitly agreeing with my original point. But now that I've pointed that out, you back off and say that you were replying only to the final question.

Please explain to me why that's not disingenuous.

As for reacting angrily, I have two related things to say. First, "anger" is too strong a word; I am somewhat annoyed, but more than being annoyed I am amused by this process of how a "philosophical discussion" of ethics so easily leads to one side's making proclamations about the other side's inferior moral standing. Ethics, indeed.

Second, my annoyance has nothing to do with your purported mis-speaking. It's directed to your holier-than thou attitude, where, when you saw me suggesting that a certain ethical question should be approached with a sense of proportion, you leapt into the fray and glibly pronounced in this public forum that you discerned that I lacked all sense of respect for animals, that I lacked "sympathy, empathy and understanding."

Do you really not understand that that might make someone perhaps a little irate?
Pattern wrote: If you're prepared to continue with courtesy and respect, I will gladly do likewise. Otherwise, "my boy", this exchange is complete.
OK, saying "my boy" was disrespectful, and I apologize for that. I was caught up in my reaction to the lack of respect that you've shown me by twisting my position about lack of proportion into a position of lack of respect for animals, and reiterating your assertion after I've questioned you on it, despite your inability to quote anything I said that supports your position.

So I'm prepared to proceed on the basis that the slate has been wiped clean on the question of whether we've shown disrespect for each other. As a precaution against further difficulty along that line, I suggest that when you respond to something I've said, you respond to what I've actually said.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

BobS wrote: March 10th, 2021, 1:50 pm I was caught up in my reaction to the lack of respect that you've shown me by twisting my position...

Clearly I have offered significant offence, for which I humbly apologise.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Tegularius

Post by Tegularius »

Steve3007 wrote: March 9th, 2021, 6:47 amI'm just curious to know if you regard sitting on the dead body of a horse as disgusting and sick but hanging the dead body of a cow from a hook and wrapping bits of it in plastic to sell in supermarkets as acceptable? I'm not saying you shouldn't find that acceptable. I get why people have what might appear to be double standards on these kinds of issues. It's basically because, despite their similarities in terms of sentience, we have an entirely different historical relationship with horses than we do with cows.
You do make a very viable point though for me it's not based on any double standard. Whether they feed us or not animals are not commodities like a cardboard box but have sentience not unlike our own. They deserve respect in the way they are treated prior to serving us humans who have been served by them in so many ways. Only when the animal is dead does it become a commodity to us or another animal just as we would be if we allowed ourselves to be consumed as exists or existed among the Parsees and their Towers of Silence. Dead bodies of whatever variety either get cremated, buried or consumed. That’s all there is to a dead body.
Steve3007 wrote: March 9th, 2021, 6:47 am Why might we think it disrespectful to sit on an animal's dead body but not disrespectful to keep it in a cage, kill it, hack it up, wrap in clingfilm, sell it and eat it? If we do think that, does it make our concept of "respect" a strange one?
In spite of the animal being dead and couldn’t care less, it’s not a chair to be sat on. It’s the symbolism of it which negates the respect one should have had for it. There would be intense moral outrage if one sat on a human dead body which isn’t worth more than the dead body of any other creature. The life of an animal, especially those raised to serve us, deserve respect and a reasonably good life prior to becoming a commodity.
The earth has a skin and that skin has diseases; one of its diseases is called man ... Nietzsche

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream