The ethics of flogging a dead horse

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
Steve3007

Re: The ethics of flogging a dead horse

Post by Steve3007 »

But just to clarify: Greta said that, where she lives (Australia), Chinese shops used to hang meat from hooks, Sculptor described that as a dig at China, he said where he lives (UK) non-Chinese shops used to do similar things, Greta said not a dig just a fact, Pattern-chaser backed up Sculptor's story about old-time UK shops, but preceded that comment with "I disagree...", Greta pointed out the Australia thing and said P-c was being over-sensitive, in her opinion, P-c said "over sensitive how?", Greta said "by referring to a harmless comments as a dig..." and so on.

Slow burning mild arguments based on webs of mutual misunderstanding can be quite funny. Remind me a bit of some of best sections of script from The Big Lebowski.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Pattern-chaser wrote:But don't we employ reductionism to help us in the process of seeking understanding?
You could say that. Or you could say that we use it in the process of managing complexity. i.e. reductionism helps us manage complexity in the same way that encapsulation in object oriented software engineering does.
Cling-filmed meat is surely an attempt to avoid understanding, and avoiding any appreciation of what it is we're actually doing? In that sense, it's the opposite of reductionism, isn't it?
If you see reductionism as seeking understanding, yes, I can see that it as the opposite. But if we see it as managing complexity, we could also call that "coping with". So we could view cling-film wrapping meat products as a way of coping with a world which is, as they say, red in tooth and claw.

So perhaps reductionism can be used for two purposes which look as though they have a common root but which diverge into being almost the opposite of each other. Or perhaps this actually tells us something a bit deeper about reductionism - that we think it's about understanding but it's actually about "coping with"?
Papus79

Post by Papus79 »

Part of why I tend to frequent here and other relatively small forums - with higher quantity of people (think Tik Tok and Twitter) the tidal lock into group naval-gazing seems to just get exponentially worse. Here we can laugh it off, somewhere bigger we'd have the next emergent push for cancellation or some other runaway effect where people would just keep piling on the same original momentum to show where they stand (which would ultimately be because they can't find any greater meaning or purpose in life other than to exaggerate fine details, really ant hills at best, in the social landscape).
Humbly watching Youtube in Universe 25. - Me
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Yes, Papus79, I like to think that most of us here, while indulging in all of this tidal-locked group naval-gazing (great expression) have a healthy sense of the ridiculous waste of time that the whole thing is. I know I do. When the day comes when I finally write my last post on this forum I think I'll look back with satisfaction at a pleasantly pointless and futile collection of thousands of posts that could all easily disappear in an instant if someone in a server farm somewhere forgets to do the backup. A great nihilistic lesson in life.
Papus79

Post by Papus79 »

Yeah, it's best when the multipolar traps stay small - ie. we don't stay pinned beneath them. Think we almost need a code word for when we've fallen into 'one of those' as a signal that everyone agrees that the thing just needs a flush and reset.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Papus79 wrote:Think we almost need a code word for when we've fallen into 'one of those' as a signal that everyone agrees that the thing just needs a flush and reset.
You make it sound like Fight Club! :D
Papus79

Post by Papus79 »

Steve3007 wrote: March 15th, 2021, 11:20 am You make it sound like Fight Club! :D
I can't remember if I ever shared this or not (if I did it might have fallen off the map:
https://slatestarcodex.com/2014/07/30/m ... on-moloch/

Another article discussing how it translates into online behavior:
https://www.ribbonfarm.com/2020/01/16/t ... -of-beefs/

I think of Donald Hoffman's analogy with the Australian jewel beetle almost going extinct because the males were mating with beer bottles. Seems like the internet is full of various kinds of game theory traps where we tend to get sucked into moth self-immolation behavior. Not the most pleasant thing to contemplate for sure but I think the more people who are actually aware of these patterns the more can see them coming, say f--- that, and keep a life raft for sanity in any given situation.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Steve3007 wrote: March 15th, 2021, 10:31 am When the day comes when I finally write my last post on this forum I think I'll look back with satisfaction at a pleasantly pointless and futile collection of thousands of posts...
In the sense of the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy's "mostly harmless", I would suggest that our posts are "mostly pointless and futile". There is worthwhile stuff posted here, and it seems reasonable to assume that some may learn something by reading it, no matter how rarely....
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

At the risk of getting out the birch to continue the flogging....

The images were not simply someone taking a seat on a dead horse, but smilling and waving into a selfie camera making a victory sign.
The image im my head was not so bad.
Papus79

Post by Papus79 »

The question of meat and leather was brought up earlier - disrespecting an animal corpse is a bit like the kids at Subway doing slip-and-slides on deli meat or someone making some joke of a meat monument as a publicity stunt at a cookoff where no one's going to eat it. the ethical revulsion in the later case being - it's one thing for an animal to die and we consume it for food, it's a hard necessity, when it dies so we can play with its muscle tissue - that's where I think the philosophy of revulsion to antisocial behavior comes in.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Pattern-chaser wrote: March 15th, 2021, 3:35 am
Sy Borg wrote: March 14th, 2021, 8:05 pm
Pattern-chaser wrote: March 14th, 2021, 6:42 am
Sy Borg wrote: March 12th, 2021, 6:08 pm You are being over-sensitive IMO.
Over-sensitive how?
By referring to a clearly harmless observation as a dig. Whatever.
Wasn't the 'dig' from Sculptor?
Oops! Sorry about that. Mea culpa.

So yeah, Sculptor, there's no need to be over-sensitive about these things! I think we can say that another dead horse has been flogged enough, so to speak.
Ecurb

Post by Ecurb »

I haven't read most of this thread, so excuse me if I'm repeating others. There's a correlation between ethics and manners, but I minor one. Good manners are, I suppose, the codification of trivial ethics. You should wipe your mouth with your napkin after eating barbecued ribs (if you're not a vegetarian). You should write thank you notes to people who send you presents at your wedding. You shouldn't sit on dead horses.

Manners are designed to facilitate social interaction and please other people. To discourage social interaction and make others feel badly is rude. It is also "unethical" but only in a minor, trivial way. Chew with your mouth open, if you please, when you dine alone. Sit on dead horses, if you please, unless photographers are active in your area.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Ecurb wrote: March 15th, 2021, 10:26 pm I haven't read most of this thread, so excuse me if I'm repeating others. There's a correlation between ethics and manners, but I minor one. Good manners are, I suppose, the codification of trivial ethics. You should wipe your mouth with your napkin after eating barbecued ribs (if you're not a vegetarian). You should write thank you notes to people who send you presents at your wedding. You shouldn't sit on dead horses.

Manners are designed to facilitate social interaction and please other people. To discourage social interaction and make others feel badly is rude. It is also "unethical" but only in a minor, trivial way. Chew with your mouth open, if you please, when you dine alone. Sit on dead horses, if you please, unless photographers are active in your area.
OK, but in your last words, aren't you saying that we can behave as we like as long as we don't get caught?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Ecurb

Post by Ecurb »

Pattern-chaser wrote: March 16th, 2021, 5:50 am

OK, but in your last words, aren't you saying that we can behave as we like as long as we don't get caught?
Manners involve public behavior. There's nothing immoral about masturbation, unless you do it publicly. Immoral behavior (among other things) harms others. Public masturbation disgusts and embarrasses others, and is therefore immoral (and illegal). Sitting on dead horses harms nobody but yourself, if nobody sees you do it.

Of course you can harm others and hope you don't get caught (which is immoral), or you can hope you don't get caught sitting on dead horses (which would harm others only if you DO get caught). So be careful about using dead horses as chairs. Due diligence requires a degree of care, just as it does for masturbation.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Pattern-chaser wrote:In the sense of the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy's "mostly harmless", I would suggest that our posts are "mostly pointless and futile". There is worthwhile stuff posted here, and it seems reasonable to assume that some may learn something by reading it, no matter how rarely....
Yes, funnily enough, as I was writing that, I remembered Slartibartfast in Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy saying that he'd been looking forward to a quiet retirement learning the octahedral heebygeebyphone, a pleasantly futile task, he knew, because he had the wrong number of mouths. I always kind of identified with Slartibartfast.

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream