The question that drives me crazy

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
Tegularius

Re: The question that drives me crazy

Post by Tegularius »

Gertie wrote: March 12th, 2021, 7:26 pm
Tegularius wrote: March 12th, 2021, 6:38 am Everything you describe and worse, has happened countless times throughout history. Human nature is responsible for ALL the inhuman crimes of humanity and not just those perpetrated against each other. Man is at heart a monster needing only the right reasons to prove who he really is.
If we're going to do better I don't think such black and white thinking helps. That's no more who we ''really are'' than when we feel horror and anger about such things, when we love our kids, are kind to our neighbours, go about our day showing normal courtesies. It's all who we really are.

Understanding ourselves, the complexity, the reasons for why we react so differently in different circs and to different people (and species come to that), is the way forward imo. We're acquiring new tools to look at the neuroscience of that, and putting together an evolutionary back story. This potentially can help us to consciously adapt to mitigate the anachronistic negative effects of our evolved human nature. It's a big ask tho.

Philosophy can play a role. Can say now we're beginning to understand the details of the ''Is'' of why are the way we are, what should the ''Ought'' look like, and how might it be achieved. Because if there is no hell or powerful god to make it all right and fair in the end, it's up to us to grow out of that kind of infantilism, and do better ourselves.
I understand what you're saying and don't in principle disagree. But it has been always the case that the "Better Angels of our Nature" to quote the title of Steven Pinker's book, are usually deep-sixed by our worst impulses whenever they're released. It doesn't take much of a catalyst to show that which lives on the surface what Hell is really like.

One example, you mention kindness to neighbors and yet generations who lived side-by-side, in friendly cooperation, though ethnically or religiously diverse, start butchering trying to eliminate each other often by the most gruesome means. The synergy of what perpetrates crime and atrocities resides just below the mantle of the human psyche ready to explode when events heat up.

One can only judge not by what one wants to be but by what one is and by that criteria humans remain a miscreation of the highest order.
The earth has a skin and that skin has diseases; one of its diseases is called man ... Nietzsche
evolution

Post by evolution »

SneakySniper179 wrote: March 11th, 2021, 7:59 pm I remember going to the holocaust museum and seeing all the shoes stacked up and knowing all the bodies that occupied them. The teeth, The clothes the other valuables worth nothing to the dead. All of those things that represented a life stacked up in a pile. I read one day that josef mengele died on a beautiful beach in south america. The **** injustice of that sentiment drives me nuts.

I suffer for nothing and a man who killed people in terrible ways dies looking at a brazilian beach and just passes on.
What are you, supposedly, suffering of and from, exactly?
SneakySniper179 wrote: March 11th, 2021, 7:59 pm The people he killed screamed and begged and got nothing, Just nothing.
But they got 'dead', and that is something.
SneakySniper179 wrote: March 11th, 2021, 7:59 pm They were just experiments to him, Nothing more, nothing less. And this pos gets to die in one of the most beautiful places in the world.
Are you suggesting here that if he killed those people in some of the most beautiful places in the world, then it would not be as bad or wrong, thus more "justified"?
SneakySniper179 wrote: March 11th, 2021, 7:59 pm The injustice of that statement drives me nuts because if there isn't a hell there very well should be.
But there is a 'hell'. Those people endured it.
SneakySniper179 wrote: March 11th, 2021, 7:59 pm Not for just anyone but for him, He deserves it more than anyone and he got to die in the best way you can die. Looking at one of the most beautiful scenes you can see in your life and he just slipped away while others begged for mercy. without the idea of hell for some people I would go totally nuts. Nothing would ever matter.
So, without the idea of hell existing in some 'other' people, you would, supposedly, go totally 'nuts' (whatever that actually means), correct?
SneakySniper179 wrote: March 11th, 2021, 7:59 pm It's sickens me and I have to hope he went to sleep on a beautiful beach and woke up in a lake of fire because if not there is no point to this place.
I do not envision that the actual 'point' of this 'place' relies solely on what 'you' hope for.
SneakySniper179 wrote: March 11th, 2021, 7:59 pm Why would I even **** try. How **** is that injustice to the people he hurt. They died on an operating table and he died content looking at pure beauty.
What does it 'really' matter, they are 'all' dead now?
SneakySniper179 wrote: March 11th, 2021, 7:59 pm The most beautiful things he died and that was the last thing on this earth he ever saw.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You never know, the people who died under that "army" might have come to realize that the last thing they are seeing is an act that could actual make the world a much better place for 'every' in the future. That is; if and when human beings ever start learning from their mistakes and wrong doing.
SneakySniper179 wrote: March 11th, 2021, 7:59 pm Why the **** would I subscribe to morality.
But who ever said that "you have to"?
SneakySniper179 wrote: March 11th, 2021, 7:59 pm There would be no reason, Nothing at all. What would really be the point. The good get **** and the bad get to die on in beauty.
You never know who exactly was killed. Just maybe one of them killed was going to end up doing far worse than that one "army" ever did.

Just because one is killed by another, this, in itself, does not mean that that one was any "good" at all.
SneakySniper179 wrote: March 11th, 2021, 7:59 pm How absolutely **** up is that.
Absolutely every thing is relative, to the observer. So, if this is how you see things, and this is the only way that you can see things, then so be it.
SneakySniper179 wrote: March 11th, 2021, 7:59 pm If you don't see what I see you are a broken person in this regard.
But you are the one who said they were 'suffering'. Which, to others, is a sign of a "broken person".
SneakySniper179 wrote: March 11th, 2021, 7:59 pm My hatred knows no bounds to these people.
Who and/or what are 'these' people?

Do you never think about all of that 'extra' money that you have laying about if given could save the life of a starving child could, who is about to and will die, relatively, shortly, and who may wish that they could be put out of their suffering and misery in, say, a "gas chamber"?

Or, do you only like to 'look at' what "other" people and not 'look at' what 'you', "yourself", actually do?
SneakySniper179 wrote: March 11th, 2021, 7:59 pm Knowing that has hurt me more than anything and I hope with all my heart he is in hell burning.
So, do you really think or believe that 'you' hoping a human being is in hell burning is really going to relieve 'your' own 'suffering'?

Are 'you' even remotely aware of why that one did what they did?

By the way, do you also hope that one was, at birth, was taken from their mother and forced to endure burning? Would you like to have hoped that it was 'you' who took a human child and made them suffer burning for as long as you could make it last for that child?

If yes, then okay?

But if no, then why not?
evolution

Post by evolution »

Oh, I forgot to ask, what was that question, exactly, which supposedly drives you crazy by the way?
evolution

Post by evolution »

Tegularius wrote: March 12th, 2021, 6:38 am Everything you describe and worse, has happened countless times throughout history. Human nature is responsible for ALL the inhuman crimes of humanity and not just those perpetrated against each other. Man is at heart a monster needing only the right reasons to prove who he really is.
If this was even somewhat true, then human beings would have wiped themselves out a long time ago.
evolution

Post by evolution »

runaway wrote: March 12th, 2021, 7:47 am People on here have said that an eye for an eye would make the world blind. However, if there is no karmic force that ensures that everyone gets what they deserve in the end, is it wrong for people to take it upon themselves to deliver justice if it would never come otherwise?
But is the act of human beings inflicting ridicule, pain, and/or punishment onto other human beings 'justice'?

If yes, then through this kind of "justice" human beings would have been dead (or blinded) a long time ago.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Tegularius wrote: March 13th, 2021, 7:30 pm
If we're going to do better I don't think such black and white thinking helps. That's no more who we ''really are'' than when we feel horror and anger about such things, when we love our kids, are kind to our neighbours, go about our day showing normal courtesies. It's all who we really are.

Understanding ourselves, the complexity, the reasons for why we react so differently in different circs and to different people (and species come to that), is the way forward imo. We're acquiring new tools to look at the neuroscience of that, and putting together an evolutionary back story. This potentially can help us to consciously adapt to mitigate the anachronistic negative effects of our evolved human nature. It's a big ask tho.

Philosophy can play a role. Can say now we're beginning to understand the details of the ''Is'' of why are the way we are, what should the ''Ought'' look like, and how might it be achieved. Because if there is no hell or powerful god to make it all right and fair in the end, it's up to us to grow out of that kind of infantilism, and do better ourselves.
I understand what you're saying and don't in principle disagree. But it has been always the case that the "Better Angels of our Nature" to quote the title of Steven Pinker's book, are usually deep-sixed by our worst impulses whenever they're released. It doesn't take much of a catalyst to show that which lives on the surface what Hell is really like.

One example, you mention kindness to neighbors and yet generations who lived side-by-side, in friendly cooperation, though ethnically or religiously diverse, start butchering trying to eliminate each other often by the most gruesome means. The synergy of what perpetrates crime and atrocities resides just below the mantle of the human psyche ready to explode when events heat up.

One can only judge not by what one wants to be but by what one is and by that criteria humans remain a miscreation of the highest order.
I agree; however that is not the end of the story.
Despite the prevalence of miscreants there are some who turn out to be good people. Based on our deplorable genetic inheritances from bacteria and suchlike as we undoubtedly are, we also know it is possible raising mankind 'above' miscreation can be achieved.
Tegularius

Post by Tegularius »

Belindi wrote: March 14th, 2021, 9:16 am

Despite the prevalence of miscreants there are some who turn out to be good people. Based on our deplorable genetic inheritances from bacteria and suchlike as we undoubtedly are, we also know it is possible raising mankind 'above' miscreation can be achieved.
True insofar an improbability does not confirm an impossibility.
The earth has a skin and that skin has diseases; one of its diseases is called man ... Nietzsche
Robert66

Post by Robert66 »

SneakySniper179 wrote: March 11th, 2021, 7:59 pm ... I read one day that josef mengele died on a beautiful beach in south america. The **** injustice of that sentiment drives me nuts.
I suffer for nothing and a man who killed people in terrible ways dies looking at a brazilian beach and just passes on.
The injustice of that statement drives me nuts because if there isn't a hell there very well should be. ... without the idea of hell for some people I would go totally nuts. Nothing would ever matter.
Why the **** would I subscribe to morality.
I hope with all my heart he is in hell burning.
Re-read what you have written, SneakySniper179. You have answered your question (Why would I subscribe to morality?) There is, as you illustrate very well, no divine justice or karmic force. If the idea of hell appears our only hope, and reasonably we could say that hell is just as unlikely as divine justice or karma, then we have all the more reason to subscribe to morality. More morality = fewer Mengeles.
SneakySniper179

Post by SneakySniper179 »

That's very true. I agree 100%.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Tegularius wrote: March 14th, 2021, 5:12 pm

Especially in the case of sapiens who because he learns from previous experience has many possibilities.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Belindi wrote:But humans are more able than are other animals to have insight into emotional response...
Yes, I agree. My post may have seemed more doomy and pessimistic than it was intended to be. It was just a description, as I see it, of the core reasons why cycles of violence continue through history - one of the main reasons why people occasionally do terrible things to each other. They still do these things, for the same set of reasons, and probably always will. But that doesn't mean there is no hope. If we look at the actual statistics, worldwide, at least by some measures, the chances of being the victim of this kind of violence have steadily dropped over the last several decades. Global systems for trying to limit violence, like international law and the UN, may have limited success, but at least they exist, as they have never existed in the past.
Gertie

Post by Gertie »

Yes it's right we all know people are capable of terrible things, and our capabilities for terrible destruction are vast. A war can devastate millions, and succeeding generations. A single crime can devastate a family.

But I don't find the view that this is the 'real' us, our real nature, red in tooth and claw, which is simply hidden by a day to day mantle of cooperation and consideration constraining our 'real' nature, either correct or helpful. We are all these things, and many more. We're not angels or devils, we're a highly complex evolved kludge of predispositions, including selfish and social, whose brains are equipped to adapt, to reconfigure, to environmental factors - to learn. Certain environmental factors tend to bring out the best in us, some the worst.

If we think of ourselves in that way, neurobiologically, or psychologically as Belinda says, then we can do better. If we understand what brings out the worst in us and why, we can better dodge the pitfalls our evolutionary history has bequeathed us. One thing we know is that many of our social dispositions evolved for up close and personal tribal living, the neurobiological mechanisms involved in trust, care and bonding are more effectively triggered in that setting. And outsiders are treated with more suspicion, as potential threats or competitors.

But now we live in a globalised world of inter-dependent strangers, artificially grouped as huge nation state 'tribes', constantly bumping up against each other's interests. And we see the rise of nationalism sweeping through previously dominant nations who feel threatened, and a resurgence of 'othering' within, targetting immigrants. Our current politics is ugly, and some politicians appeal to the worst in us knowing it will get us in the gut, trigger a tribal response which by-passes reason. They say they are 'being real', telling it like it is. Those who disagree are merely 'virtue signalling'. But that's a dangerous misunderstanding, it's no more real than appealing to our social, caring and cooperative dispositions.
Tegularius

Post by Tegularius »

Belindi wrote: March 15th, 2021, 5:03 am
Tegularius wrote: March 14th, 2021, 5:12 pm

Especially in the case of sapiens who because he learns from previous experience has many possibilities.
If only that were true! By the time they learn the damage is already done. Think of the climate fiascos happening and getting worse which we've been warned about since 1960s and 70s. The world isn't getting any better. Don't know whether you noticed that or not.
evolution

Post by evolution »

SneakySniper179 wrote: March 11th, 2021, 7:59 pm The question that drives me crazy
What is the question that drives you crazy?
GrayArea

Post by GrayArea »

I have the answer to your question. The ultimate truth of life is that there is ultimately no right or wrong; it is evident to me that the wisest thing to do in this world is to simply do what is allowed by the world, allowed by you. There isn't any other set answer because the universe does not have any standards. And the best part is that you can still strive for good and not go down the path of wretchedness as long as you allow yourself to be.

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream