It is preferable to live one day with inner peace than a thousand years without.

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
Jake4020
New Trial Member

Re: It is preferable to live one day with inner peace than a thousand years without.

Post by Jake4020 »

I would say anything is better than nothing but you know if you live long enough you will live regret everything you've ever done even the good things.
ADNamin
New Trial Member

Re: It is preferable to live one day with inner peace than a thousand years without.

Post by ADNamin »

Hi,
I agree with all of these that, yes, it is indeed preferable to do as mentioned in the first part of each sentence listed.

I think we can move to the metaphysical and state that it is essential to experience refined states of consciousness in which joy, wellbeing, radiant health, love, intelligence and Reason exist.

If we look, for example at Plato, we can see that it is posited that we need to go beyond the world presented to us by the senses in order to do this.

Our senses are, of course, important ... but to experience the states you have mentioned we need to go beyond them. Most spiritual practice involves achieving this transcendence. However, there may be many ways of doing this. It is perhaps only important that we are able to experience 'truth' by any number of possible means. The joy is - that it is possible to do so - I'd really recommend meditation for anyone seeking this. I'd also recommend profound philosophy such as that found in Buddhism and Vedanta.

If we look at Kant's, Schopenhauer's or Hegel's work we can see that these selfsame these are approached - nature of reality and how we may experience it, particularly via Reason.

Philosophy's real purpose is to provide knowledge which leads to Reason, that is, knowledge beyond the information provided by the mechanations of the senses within the subjective self.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

ADNamin wrote:
I'd really recommend meditation for anyone seeking this.
Meditation is a distinct brain-mind state. Constant meditation awareness would not keep you alive. Sometimes, maybe most of one's waking time, you have to try to make decisions to act in focused ways. To stay alive it is best to be at least a little worried about what is going to happen.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

Count Lucanor wrote: May 8th, 2021, 12:25 am The properties of some things simply cannot be measured in grades, such as being pregnant, being a male, being a mammal, being inanimate, being pregnant, etc.
I disagree.

Is Caitlyn Jenner a male? What about a person born with a Y Chromosome and a vagina, namely someone with androgen insensitivity syndrome?

If aliens put my body in a special machine that steadily morphed it second-by-second into a lizard over the course of 100 days, such that each second over those 100 days I become a bit more lizard-like and a bit less Scott-like, on what day would I suddenly instead move from the discreet state of being 100% a mammal to being 100% non-mammal? Wouldn't a nominalistic view require realizing that concept of Scott-ness, human-ness-, and mammalianess are all actually imaginary and thus on roughly day 50 of 100 I'd be roughly 50% the human Scott and 50% lizard?

Count Lucanor wrote: May 8th, 2021, 12:25 am I don't thing an egg, fertilized or not, is considered an inanimate object.
I would tend to agree, but for the same reason I would tend to think of a self-driving car as animate as well, at least partly. But again that's because I don't look at really things as being 100% absolutely totally animate or 100% absolutely totally inanimate.

I don't believe discreet states really exist. I'm surprised that as a nominalist you do.

Count Lucanor wrote: May 8th, 2021, 12:25 am No, you're confusing the level of development of the woman's pregnancy (a process in itself) with the property of the women being pregnant.
Perhaps I am misunderstanding what you are saying, or misunderstanding nominalism, or both, but the above statement appears to me to be incompatible with nominalism.

Scott wrote: I think a better analogy may be age of consent laws, such as how in one jurisdiction it could be the case that a day before someone's 18th birthday (when the person is 17 years, 364 days old, counting from time of birth) the person is considered 100% unable to consent, and then two days later is considered totally able to consent. The idea of discreet states is a symptom of conceptualization, not reality itself. As such, the exact conceptual borders between the black-states and the white-states tend to be arbitrary and controversial, since reality is actually a continuum of dancing grays.
Count Lucanor wrote: May 8th, 2021, 12:25 am Since human psychology and social life are so complex, since there's so much diversity, variations among individuals, precise definitions of people's characteristics and behaviors according to given parameters are impossible, so for practical purposes average estimations are used and conventions set, and then people judged against the convention (which is not unfair at all, given that conventions [laws] are public and people are aware they can be made accountable on that basis). So the age of consent is merely a rule, not a stated property of individuals.
I agree, and I think that's essentially how biological taxonomy works as well, and more roughly speaking how all taxonomy works.

The conceptual line drawn between the 17-year-364-day-old and the 18-year-old with one being 100% child and the other being 100% adult would be analogous the conceptual line drawn that would have one say that mammals suddenly popped into existence in one day and didn't exist the previous previous day at all even partly in some gray area between non-mammal and mammal, such that the parent(s) of a creature were 100% not mammals but their offspring was 100% mammal.

The same goes for the process of abiogenesis. I simply disagree with the idea there is no gray area between the black-and-white concepts of total 100% lifelessness and total 100% lifefulness. Even if Newtonian mechanics were true such that it makes sense to think of things happening at the same time across even small units of space, it just doesn't make sense to think that the universe from some discreet 100% lifeless state one second to having life the next second, with no gray area between the two black-and-white binary conceptual states.

I believe binary-ness is a symptom of conceptualization, not something that exists in actual concrete reality. Figuratively speaking, concrete reality is shades of gray on a continuous spectrum of infinite shades of gray, with no black and white. Our human minds conceive of it using binary conceptualization such that we create a label X and say every single thing must either strictly be X or strictly be -X, which among other fallacies assumes that there are things and thus real thinghood. But the X-ness--whatever it is--never really exists, at least not in a binary black-and-white way.

Scott wrote: April 21st, 2021, 4:57 pm Do you think it's possible that a man-made robot with AI could ever be more like a human than an ant is human-like?

[Emphasis added.]
Count Lucanor wrote: April 23rd, 2021, 10:42 pm No. I guess it would be possible to make a machine so complex and sophisticated as to simulate almost perfectly the behavior of humans, but it would not be real human-like behavior, which implies conscious will, agency and self-regulating processes; it would be just a good imitation of a lifeless machine.
Scott wrote: April 24th, 2021, 3:16 pm What if the AI-building robots accidentally made an atom-by-atom replica of an ant?
Count Lucanor wrote: May 2nd, 2021, 10:44 pm Then it would have made an actual ant, not a replica.
Scott wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 7:40 pm So then you agree that human-made AI machines can make living and animate creatures?
Count Lucanor wrote: May 8th, 2021, 12:25 am No, I cannot agree. I never said anything like that. I only said that in the hypothetical scenario that you proposed (which I don't think is possible), if a robot made something identical to an ant, it would be an ant by its own right. Robots are simply way too far from achieving such a thing and they are most likely completely unable to do so, as the current state of technology shows.
The question isn't if it's possible with current technology or anytime soon. But rather what if humans--or alternatively our machines, descendants, cyborgs, and/or AI technology--don't all go extinct--what about in a million years or a billion years?

Are you saying that not even in a million years could our machines out-do an ant?

What about the digitally evolved creatures made non-virtual as described in this Ted talk?

Could those ever out-do an ant?
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Count Lucanor
Favorite Philosopher: Umberto Eco

Post by Count Lucanor »

Scott wrote: May 12th, 2021, 2:57 pm
Count Lucanor wrote: May 8th, 2021, 12:25 am The properties of some things simply cannot be measured in grades, such as being pregnant, being a male, being a mammal, being inanimate, being pregnant, etc.
I disagree.

Is Caitlyn Jenner a male?
What do you think this person is? Because that which you think this person is, will be that and not the opposite in a binary relation, nor something in between. Biological sex is dimorphic = binary.
Scott wrote: May 12th, 2021, 2:57 pm What about a person born with a Y Chromosome and a vagina, namely someone with androgen insensitivity syndrome?
They used to call them hermaphrodite, now intersex, but even when those conditions are seen, people are identified with being either male or female. In any case, even if it were true that sex categories are not discrete states, but continuous states in a spectrum, that would not change the distinction between discrete/continuous states.
Scott wrote: May 12th, 2021, 2:57 pm If aliens put my body in a special machine that steadily morphed it second-by-second into a lizard over the course of 100 days, such that each second over those 100 days I become a bit more lizard-like and a bit less Scott-like, on what day would I suddenly instead move from the discreet state of being 100% a mammal to being 100% non-mammal? Wouldn't a nominalistic view require realizing that concept of Scott-ness, human-ness-, and mammalianess are all actually imaginary and thus on roughly day 50 of 100 I'd be roughly 50% the human Scott and 50% lizard?
I guess in any sci-fi story one can imagine the impossible, such as morphing into another species. What would happen if the impossible became suddenly possible in that imaginary world, you ask. Well then it would be true that species is a continuum, not a discrete state, in that imaginary world...In this actual world, that is not the case.
Count Lucanor wrote: May 8th, 2021, 12:25 am I don't thing an egg, fertilized or not, is considered an inanimate object.
I would tend to agree, but for the same reason I would tend to think of a self-driving car as animate as well, at least partly. But again that's because I don't look at really things as being 100% absolutely totally animate or 100% absolutely totally inanimate.
Although you still would be wrong, you could think of a self-driving car as animate, but you could not think of it as partly animate. The first proposition is synthetic and simply has a problem of evidence based on the properties of living things, but the second one fails analytically: by being "partly" it's already denying the discrete property that is essential to being animate/inanimate. Of course, you can come up with your own personal definition of what being animate/inanimate is, and apply those properties to the problem, but that would run contrary to the standard scientific convention of what a living thing is.
I don't believe discreet states really exist. I'm surprised that as a nominalist you do.
I don't see any problem with nominalism and having discrete and continuous states. Just because one denies universals and abstract objects doesn't mean one can make concepts arbitrary.
Count Lucanor wrote: May 8th, 2021, 12:25 am No, you're confusing the level of development of the woman's pregnancy (a process in itself) with the property of the women being pregnant.
Perhaps I am misunderstanding what you are saying, or misunderstanding nominalism, or both, but the above statement appears to me to be incompatible with nominalism.
I don't see why. There are gradual stages of growth in pregnancy, but either one is pregnant or not.
Count Lucanor wrote: May 8th, 2021, 12:25 am Since human psychology and social life are so complex, since there's so much diversity, variations among individuals, precise definitions of people's characteristics and behaviors according to given parameters are impossible, so for practical purposes average estimations are used and conventions set, and then people judged against the convention (which is not unfair at all, given that conventions [laws] are public and people are aware they can be made accountable on that basis). So the age of consent is merely a rule, not a stated property of individuals.
I agree, and I think that's essentially how biological taxonomy works as well, and more roughly speaking how all taxonomy works.

The conceptual line drawn between the 17-year-364-day-old and the 18-year-old with one being 100% child and the other being 100% adult would be analogous the conceptual line drawn that would have one say that mammals suddenly popped into existence in one day and didn't exist the previous previous day at all even partly in some gray area between non-mammal and mammal, such that the parent(s) of a creature were 100% not mammals but their offspring was 100% mammal.
No, that's not how taxonomy works. Even if one can say that all such classifications are arbitrary conventions, once the criteria is set, and precise, distinctive properties used, the taxonomic definitions draw very clear lines. What makes a mammal is a pretty solid convention, while the age of consent is not and can easily change.
The same goes for the process of abiogenesis. I simply disagree with the idea there is no gray area between the black-and-white concepts of total 100% lifelessness and total 100% lifefulness.
Perhaps you may want to disagree with the scientific consensus, I choose not to.
Even if Newtonian mechanics were true such that it makes sense to think of things happening at the same time across even small units of space, it just doesn't make sense to think that the universe from some discreet 100% lifeless state one second to having life the next second, with no gray area between the two black-and-white binary conceptual states.
It doesn't matter. Once the criteria for what counts as living matter is set, then that's the border line that separates one state from the other.
I believe binary-ness is a symptom of conceptualization, not something that exists in actual concrete reality. Figuratively speaking, concrete reality is shades of gray on a continuous spectrum of infinite shades of gray, with no black and white. Our human minds conceive of it using binary conceptualization such that we create a label X and say every single thing must either strictly be X or strictly be -X, which among other fallacies assumes that there are things and thus real thinghood. But the X-ness--whatever it is--never really exists, at least not in a binary black-and-white way.
I disagree. There are plenty of binary states in the natural world, which even though are conceptualized by humans, rely on specific, objective properties. Sexual dimorphism, for example.
The question isn't if it's possible with current technology or anytime soon. But rather what if humans--or alternatively our machines, descendants, cyborgs, and/or AI technology--don't all go extinct--what about in a million years or a billion years?

Are you saying that not even in a million years could our machines out-do an ant?
Theoretically it may be possible in the future, but so what?
What about the digitally evolved creatures made non-virtual as described in this Ted talk?

Could those ever out-do an ant?
"Video unavailable".
The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
Nikita
New Trial Member

Post by Nikita »

A person strives for happiness as the highest good and since happiness is serenity then one day is worth infinity itself and even has the advantage of mortality relative to an immortal being having achieved tranquility it is divine
uexaldr
New Trial Member

Post by uexaldr »

This post compelled me to join the forum. :D

Thanks!
EricPH

Post by EricPH »

Nikita wrote: August 5th, 2021, 7:21 pm A person strives for happiness as the highest good and since happiness is serenity then one day is worth infinity itself and even has the advantage of mortality relative to an immortal being having achieved tranquility it is divine
In 2011 I had tests done for cancer, about a month later the doctor phoned and said he urgently wanted to see me, it was non – Hodgkin Lymphoma. This was a name I recognised, our friend had this cancer, and died a few months later. Being told I had cancer was out of my hands, there was nothing I could do about it. But I still had choices; I could dictate how the cancer was going to affect my mind and my ability to cope with the news.

A few minutes after putting the phone down; I prayed for the wisdom, strength and peace to do God’s will, whether the cancer was a death sentence, or just an inconvenience. I can only say that from the moment of making this prayer, I have experienced a profound sense of peace that is beyond my understanding, and the thought of cancer has never troubled me for a moment.

I believe inner peace is a divine gift that is available to anyone.
EagleEyes
New Trial Member

Post by EagleEyes »

It's a great question and challenging to me because I believe physicality is mortal and spirituality is immortal. If the peace in the question is physical eg peace of mind then yes. If the peace sort is spiritual peace of the soul then it's irrelevant as time is a physical aspect of life on Earth and a life in another dimensional world such as Heaven or Hell is outside of time. Time and infinity are not compatible.
AgentSmith

Post by AgentSmith »

Scott wrote: April 1st, 2021, 12:54 pmIt is preferable to live one day with inner peace than a thousand years without.

Do you agree?
Your question boils down to choose:

1. Happy and mortal (earthly existence more or less)

OR

2. Suffering and immortal (hell)

?

No prizes for guessing what (most) people would prefer.
EricPH

Post by EricPH »

EagleEyes wrote: December 31st, 2021, 7:40 pm If the peace in the question is physical eg peace of mind then yes.
But how do you achieve peace of mind with all the turmoil that exists in this world?
GrayArea

Post by GrayArea »

Some people will want thousand years of life because prolonged existence itself will provide them with inner peace no matter what events happen within that prolonged existence.

In my opinion, the existence/life that contains the events in life(which either provides us with inner peace or takes away inner peace from us) precedes the events in terms of magnitude and significance. Life can happen without inner peace. Inner peace cannot happen with life. Life is a more significant thing to strive for.

Conclusion: We should choose the latter, but we know that we will end up choosing the first option, since the reason we want to choose the latter is because we think that is the right choice and that we always gain a sense of 'satisfaction' or 'inner peace' when we do what we want/what we think we ought to do! But if we gain more inner peace from choosing the other option, what will be stopping us?
People perceive gray and argue about whether it's black or white.
GrayArea

Post by GrayArea »

GrayArea wrote: February 6th, 2022, 11:50 pm Inner peace cannot happen with life.
Without* life. Just a little typo.
People perceive gray and argue about whether it's black or white.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

EricPH wrote: February 3rd, 2022, 12:16 pm
EagleEyes wrote: December 31st, 2021, 7:40 pm If the peace in the question is physical eg peace of mind then yes.
But how do you achieve peace of mind with all the turmoil that exists in this world?
While I don't know what Eric himself implies by his question I infer that inner peace, if it means contentment with the world as it is, is not good for anybody. We should be discontented.
EricPH

Post by EricPH »

Belindi wrote: February 8th, 2022, 6:57 am While I don't know what Eric himself implies by his question I infer that inner peace, if it means contentment with the world as it is, is not good for anybody. We should be discontented.
The world is full of injustice and suffering. Today I have spent time with two homeless men; and a man who has attempted to end his life several times; his story is horrific. I voluntarily spend a fair amount of time with deeply troubled people. In order to offer some kind of encouragement and support, we journey together over months and years.

There are choices, I have no obligation to see them again; they could be a burden. If I choose to see them again; do I have to listen to their stories and be depressed because of their circumstances? At some point we have to walk away, and we have some understanding of the suffering they will continue to encounter.

But the one thing that gives me hope is the peace that surpasses all understanding. If I can experience this peace in spite of some dark events in my life; then maybe I can help others to find this peace. I am fully aware that I can't change anybody, they have to change themselves, but I always search for hope.

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream