Do you have a moral obligation to get vaccinated?

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
BobS

Re: Do you have a moral obligation to get vaccinated?

Post by BobS »

Terrapin Station wrote: June 29th, 2021, 3:49 pmYou got straight to the evidence twice? I see.
My, you generate a lot of messages without saying anything.

It’s a good thing that you consider OCD a disparaging term only as applied to word counts, and not message counts. Otherwise your self-esteem would take a serious hit.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

chewybrian wrote: June 29th, 2021, 7:15 am
LuckyR wrote: June 29th, 2021, 3:00 am You are correct vaccines are 98% effective, not 100%. However only a simpleton would expect anything biological to be 100% effective. But where you lose your train of logic, is the part about virus moving from the nonimmune magically back to the immune. BTW there are about as many post infection immune as there are vaccinated immune, though how folks get their immunity doesn't really matter, immune systems don't look at CDC cards.
It bloody well does matter. For folks to get their immunity through infection, some percentage of them must get very sick and some must die in the process, and society must suffer the economic and emotional toll of those illnesses and deaths. By contrast, virtually nobody dies from getting the vaccine. And the unvaccinated are the breeding ground for variants of covid like the new Delta variant, that tend to be more deadly, more easily transmitted, and may be resistant to current vaccines or methods of treatment. Keeping a large pool of unvaccinated people available for easy infection keeps the virus alive and able to change and get stronger.

We lost more people to covid already than we lost to WWII. Did it "not really matter" that we lost all those soldiers in the war? Say that using ration cards or making other small sacrifices on the home front held a serious prospect of ending the war? Would it have been too much imposition on our freedoms to ask those who had not yet had a bomb fall on their head to make those sacrifices? Can you imagine people back then protesting that they had a right to use resources that were needed for the soldiers at the front? Yet, we face a greater toll in lost lives today, and you want to argue that we shouldn't make a small sacrifice that has a good chance of removing the threat?
We are failing to communicate. You are referring to future infections and I am speaking of past infections.

There are already about 150 million post infection immune people in the US, if you believe the experts that 3 out of 4 infections were never documented with a positive test result.

Add to that 150 million, another 150 million fully vaccinated and 20 million partially vaccinated. Subtract several 10s of millions who overlap the groups and we are at a very high percentage of the total population of 332 million who are currently immune (one way or another). Thus there just isn't a huge population of the nonimmune right now. There are some, but too few to make new variants here. Those are going to come from overseas, where the numbers of post infectious immune is small and the vaccinated are few, say like Japan.
"As usual... it depends."
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Pattern-chaser wrote: June 29th, 2021, 3:16 pm
Pattern-chaser wrote: June 28th, 2021, 8:18 am You opined that "you're only hurting yourself (and other unvaccinated people like yourself)", and that is untrue. A pool of unvaccinated people opposes the gains we make by having everyone vaccinated. It allows the virus to circulate, and to mutate. Vaccines are not 100% effective anyway, so the continuing presence of the virus, sustained by a pool of unvaccinated people, allows it to spread back into the vaccinated population more quickly and easily than if everyone was vaccinated. So the unvaccinated harm all of us, not just their fellow anti-vaxxers.
LuckyR wrote: June 29th, 2021, 3:00 am You are correct vaccines are 98% effective, not 100%. However only a simpleton would expect anything biological to be 100% effective. But where you lose your train of logic, is the part about virus moving from the nonimmune magically back to the immune. BTW there are about as many post infection immune as there are vaccinated immune, though how folks get their immunity doesn't really matter, immune systems don't look at CDC cards.
"The part about virus moving from the nonimmune magically back to the immune" is my fault: I wasn't clear. I was referring to the virus moving from the unvaccinated magically back to the vaccinated people. As you said, quite rightly, "only a simpleton would expect anything biological to be 100% effective". Our current vaccines are around 95% effective against the alpha variant, which means that 1 in 20 of the people who would otherwise have become infected actually become infected.

The existence of a pool of vulnerable people, even if they suffer no symptoms themselves, enables the virus to remain in our population. It also (maybe) nurtures the development of vaccine-resistant variants. The longer the virus is alive and in our communities, the more likely this is:
Pattern-chaser wrote: June 28th, 2021, 8:18 am ...the unvaccinated harm all of us, not just their fellow anti-vaxxers.
Several things:

First, we have both mentioned that the vaccines are less than 100% in preventing infection. Numbers vary with sources but depending on whether the endpoint is test positivity, clinical infection, serious infection or death the numbers vary fron the mid 90s to greater than 99%.

It just isn't worth chasing that last fraction of a percentage point, remember when this started zero percentage of the population were immune.

As it happens, places like the US, which has a high past infection rate and a high vaccination rate, especially among the most vulnerable, just isn't going to be the place where variants are going to have enough of a foothold to occur. Variants are going to happen in places with low past infection rates and low vaccination rates, since that's where the nonimmune folks are.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

LuckyR wrote: June 30th, 2021, 3:33 am
Pattern-chaser wrote: June 28th, 2021, 8:18 am You opined that "you're only hurting yourself (and other unvaccinated people like yourself)", and that is untrue. A pool of unvaccinated people opposes the gains we make by having everyone vaccinated. It allows the virus to circulate, and to mutate. Vaccines are not 100% effective anyway, so the continuing presence of the virus, sustained by a pool of unvaccinated people, allows it to spread back into the vaccinated population more quickly and easily than if everyone was vaccinated. So the unvaccinated harm all of us, not just their fellow anti-vaxxers.
"The part about virus moving from the nonimmune magically back to the immune" is my fault: I wasn't clear. I was referring to the virus moving from the unvaccinated magically back to the vaccinated people. As you said, quite rightly, "only a simpleton would expect anything biological to be 100% effective". Our current vaccines are around 95% effective against the alpha variant, which means that 1 in 20 of the people who would otherwise have become infected actually become infected.

The existence of a pool of vulnerable people, even if they suffer no symptoms themselves, enables the virus to remain in our population. It also (maybe) nurtures the development of vaccine-resistant variants. The longer the virus is alive and in our communities, the more likely this is:
Pattern-chaser wrote: June 28th, 2021, 8:18 am ...the unvaccinated harm all of us, not just their fellow anti-vaxxers.
Several things:

First, we have both mentioned that the vaccines are less than 100% in preventing infection. Numbers vary with sources but depending on whether the endpoint is test positivity, clinical infection, serious infection or death the numbers vary fron the mid 90s to greater than 99%.
This is not relevant.
What is clear from the data is the because the body is prepared for an infection, when it does occur the vaccine prevents SERIOUS infection. SO hospital admission rates are way down.

It just isn't worth chasing that last fraction of a percentage point, remember when this started zero percentage of the population were immune.
No idea why you are saying that.

As it happens, places like the US, which has a high past infection rate and a high vaccination rate, especially among the most vulnerable, just isn't going to be the place where variants are going to have enough of a foothold to occur.
And yet the UK which is almost the same as the US is responsible for the Delta variant.
Variants are going to happen in places with low past infection rates and low vaccination rates, since that's where the nonimmune folks are.
Variants can happen in any host. SInce vaccinations do not stop infections, even vaccinated people can harbour a variant. Having been infected is no gurantee of avoiding a new infection, it just means that the infection will not be serious. And this is the case for people who have already been infected and those vaccinated.
Obviously the big danger areas for new variants is the non vaccinated world, which is more reason for a world vaccination programme, as new variants are eventually likely to completely invalidate the usefulness of present vaccines.
The lid is currently off the jar.
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Post by Terrapin Station »

BobS wrote: June 29th, 2021, 7:50 pm
Terrapin Station wrote: June 29th, 2021, 3:49 pmYou got straight to the evidence twice? I see.
My, you generate a lot of messages without saying anything.

It’s a good thing that you consider OCD a disparaging term only as applied to word counts, and not message counts. Otherwise your self-esteem would take a serious hit.
Nice to see that you can write a post that's not a display of logorrhea. How about getting straight to the evidence without editorial nonsense first?
BobS

Post by BobS »

Terrapin Station wrote: June 30th, 2021, 8:05 am Nice to see that you can write a post that's not a display of logorrhea. How about getting straight to the evidence without editorial nonsense first?
Post number 5660 by a guy who complains about too much talk.

And still not responding to what's already been said.
Terrapin Station

BobS wrote: June 30th, 2021, 2:23 pm
Terrapin Station wrote: June 30th, 2021, 8:05 am Nice to see that you can write a post that's not a display of logorrhea. How about getting straight to the evidence without editorial nonsense first?
Post number 5660 by a guy who complains about too much talk.

And still not responding to what's already been said.
Is the above easier than getting straight to the supposed evidence?
BobS

Post by BobS »

Terrapin Station wrote: June 30th, 2021, 4:21 pmIs the above easier than getting straight to the supposed evidence?
Up to Post No. 5662, again without saying anything of substance. Just condescension as a substitute for thought.

I've lost track. Is this the third straight post in which, in lieu of saying anything responsive, you've mumbled something about going "straight" to the evidence? Seems pretty compulsive.

Multiple messages in the past, I said that I considered our so-called "discussion" at an end, because you were refusing to say anything responsive. That still stands. What's gone on since then isn't a "discussion." All that's gone on are your continued messages that are the equivalent of a tape loop, and my amused responses. If you want to keep it up in this vein, fine. If you want to give up, fine. If you want to give me a response that actually says something, I'll respond in kind. Your choice. I'm not waiting with bated breath however this proceeds or doesn’t proceed.

It shouldn't be hard for you to find the two messages in which I recited some of the evidence. The fact that those messages also discussed how I thought the evidence tied together and lead to my conclusion hardly means that evidence wasn't mentioned. Your tape loop doesn't change what's there in my messages for all to see.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Sculptor1 wrote: June 30th, 2021, 4:31 am

Several things:

This is not relevant.
What is clear from the data is the because the body is prepared for an infection, when it does occur the vaccine prevents SERIOUS infection. SO hospital admission rates are way down.

As it happens, places like the US, which has a high past infection rate and a high vaccination rate, especially among the most vulnerable, just isn't going to be the place where variants are going to have enough of a foothold to occur.
And yet the UK which is almost the same as the US is responsible for the Delta variant.
Variants are going to happen in places with low past infection rates and low vaccination rates, since that's where the nonimmune folks are.
Variants can happen in any host. SInce vaccinations do not stop infections, even vaccinated people can harbour a variant. Having been infected is no gurantee of avoiding a new infection, it just means that the infection will not be serious. And this is the case for people who have already been infected and those vaccinated.
Obviously the big danger areas for new variants is the non vaccinated world, which is more reason for a world vaccination programme, as new variants are eventually likely to completely invalidate the usefulness of present vaccines.
We're both correct, hospitalizations are way down. Why? Because of the immunity from past infections plus vaccinations. Yay.

What I meant by chasing the last percentage is: instead of twisting arms of the unwilling ignorant, why not give the vaccine doses to someone who is eagerly seeking it out? You alluded to such a plan with your world vaccination program idea. We agree.

Your red statement is misleading as written. More accurately, vaccines stop over 95% of infections and the breakthrough infections that do happen are less serious.

Glad to see that you agree that it is "Obviously" the nonimmune world where we should be focusing efforts, since that is where the real danger lies. That is essentially my whole point.
Terrapin Station

BobS wrote: June 30th, 2021, 11:15 pm
I guess you're not that interested in presenting the supposed evidence then?
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

LuckyR wrote: July 1st, 2021, 1:48 am
Sculptor1 wrote: June 30th, 2021, 4:31 am

Several things:

This is not relevant.

We're both correct, hospitalizations are way down. Why? Because of the immunity from past infections plus vaccinations. Yay.

What I meant by chasing the last percentage is: instead of twisting arms of the unwilling ignorant, why not give the vaccine doses to someone who is eagerly seeking it out? You alluded to such a plan with your world vaccination program idea. We agree.
How odd that this myth has gained so much capital to the degree that you did not think you had to qualify it.
Read my lips "No one, I mean, no one's arm is being twisted, and no one is twisting any one's arm.
The right wing media love to push this myth, but it ain't happening anywhere on earth.
It is shocking the numnber of vaccine shy people there are, even in the health service. So prevalent and insidious are the antivaxx lies and conspiriacy theories that people are geuninely scared of nothing.

Your red statement is misleading as written. More accurately, vaccines stop over 95% of infections and the breakthrough infections that do happen are less serious.
My "red" statement is literally true. A vaccinated person can be infected. What the vaccine does is stop that being serious, and taking hold. The vector is usually the respiratory system, the anitbodies are in the blood. So even vaccinated person can pass on a variant id they think they do not need to wear a mask.

Glad to see that you agree that it is "Obviously" the nonimmune world where we should be focusing efforts, since that is where the real danger lies. That is essentially my whole point.
Every person where ever they are in the world needs to get a jab if this think is to be beaten.
BobS

Post by BobS »

Post number 5663, and still nothing of substance.

But I think I'm starting to see where you're coming from. You're waiting for COVID to kill enough people that the virus simply burns itself out, eliminating the need for more vaccinatations to be administered.

And then you'll be right.

Nice!
Terrapin Station

BobS wrote: July 1st, 2021, 11:40 am Post number 5663, and still nothing of substance.

But I think I'm starting to see where you're coming from. You're waiting for COVID to kill enough people that the virus simply burns itself out, eliminating the need for more vaccinatations to be administered.

And then you'll be right.

Nice!
Conjecture isn't evidence.
BobS

Post by BobS »

Terrapin Station wrote: July 1st, 2021, 12:13 pm Conjecture isn't evidence.
Evidence of a person's intent includes that person's statements and behavior.

Post number 5665, and still nothing of substance. The evidence mounts!
Terrapin Station

BobS wrote: July 1st, 2021, 1:00 pm
Terrapin Station wrote: July 1st, 2021, 12:13 pm Conjecture isn't evidence.
Evidence of a person's intent includes that person's statements and behavior.

Post number 5665, and still nothing of substance. The evidence mounts!
So "COVID [will] kill enough people that the virus simply burns itself out, eliminating the need for more vaccinatations to be administered" has something to do with intent on your view?

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream