Social Media Misinformation

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
WanderingGaze22

Social Media Misinformation

Post by WanderingGaze22 »

Imagine you are the CEO of a successful social media company that allows users to debate, discuss, and share information about a variety of issues. Initially, there are no problems. Recently however, you noticed that a lot of people and even organizations are either intentionally or unwittingly sharing information that is false or misleading. Moreover, these false posts seem to be generating a lot of interest on your platform. Some of these false posts are even being made by prominent politicians. Do you have a moral obligation to flag or censor this false information? One would think absolutely, but what about the free-speech obligation to allow users to freely voice their views even if they are spreading misinformation? What should you do as a the owner of this social media platform?

This question is based on real-life misinformation issues that social media companies such as Facebook and Twitter are currently dealing with.
LuckyR

Re: Social Media Misinformation

Post by LuckyR »

WanderingGaze22 wrote: December 1st, 2021, 3:45 am Imagine you are the CEO of a successful social media company that allows users to debate, discuss, and share information about a variety of issues. Initially, there are no problems. Recently however, you noticed that a lot of people and even organizations are either intentionally or unwittingly sharing information that is false or misleading. Moreover, these false posts seem to be generating a lot of interest on your platform. Some of these false posts are even being made by prominent politicians. Do you have a moral obligation to flag or censor this false information? One would think absolutely, but what about the free-speech obligation to allow users to freely voice their views even if they are spreading misinformation? What should you do as a the owner of this social media platform?

This question is based on real-life misinformation issues that social media companies such as Facebook and Twitter are currently dealing with.
What is the difference between a series of comments and a conspiracy? Free speech does not cover a conspiracy to defraud.
"As usual... it depends."
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

WanderingGaze22 wrote: December 1st, 2021, 3:45 am Do you have a moral obligation to flag or censor this false information? One would think absolutely, but what about the free-speech obligation to allow users to freely voice their views even if they are spreading misinformation?
I don't think that tends to be the concern of shareholders, just as public health and safety doesn't concern cigarette companies, alcohol companies, smoked meat companies, slave labour, factory farms, clubs and pubs, arms companies, "security" (ie. mercenary) companies. Not to mention trashy products, pointless plastics destined for the scrap heap as an undesirable or immediately broken present. Excess packaging. Pollution.

Sadly, the triple bottom line concept lost favour in the last couple of decades. We are largely back to a single line. $$
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

WanderingGaze22 wrote: December 1st, 2021, 3:45 am Imagine you are the CEO of a successful social media company that allows users to debate, discuss, and share information about a variety of issues. Initially, there are no problems. Recently however, you noticed that a lot of people and even organizations are either intentionally or unwittingly sharing information that is false or misleading. Moreover, these false posts seem to be generating a lot of interest on your platform. Some of these false posts are even being made by prominent politicians. Do you have a moral obligation to flag or censor this false information? One would think absolutely, but what about the free-speech obligation to allow users to freely voice their views even if they are spreading misinformation? What should you do as a the owner of this social media platform?

POV of the owner of the site.
Moderation and censorship cost money; reduce traffic to your site and discourage contributors.
Whilst you like to think about the balance between censorship and freedom of speech; the money monkey inside your head tend to stir you towards believing that freedom of expression are more important and that everyone has a right to speak and discriminate as they see fit.
POV is the user.
You love to speak freely. This is the first time in history that ordinary people have a platform that can potentially reach the whole world. You choose the sites that best suit your views (prejudices), and find many things that you agree with. You are a warrior and can see how wrong other people are and want to do something about it. There is advertising on the site, yet not so in your face that it bothers you and you think that it does not affect you. You reach for another coke with your Acme can grabber, open it with your Tamoichoi Can opener, grab a Ronko Super-straw and surf right in.

POV of the advertiser.

You do not much care for what is being said and by whom. Your biggest concern is for the amount of traffic, and how closely you can target your products at the visitors. The more sensational the posts, the more attractive they are to those who are haing their egos massaged by ideologies that suit them. You sell more. You have no interest in censorship but are keen to act on the data dumps that it produces.
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Post by Terrapin Station »

On my view my only moral obligation is to allow free speech.

Free speech is only worth having any concern with when we're talking about speech that some people would rather you didn't utter, and that's going to include speech that some people consider offensive, speech that some people consider stupid/incorrect, and so on.

If people are being misled by "misinformation," propaganda, etc., we have a critical thinking problem, we don't have a speech problem. The critical thinking problem isn't going to be cured by disallowing some speech. If we disallow speech that is labeled as incorrect, but we let the critical thinking problem persist, then when people come along who control the allowed speech, but who are really promoting propaganda, then we're really going to have a huge problem.
figliar0

Post by figliar0 »

The big problem is that people do not realize the simple fact, that if they use some online services for free, they are probably not customers for the company. The business model of some big companies (Google, Facebook, etc) are built in the way that users of free services are just merchendise. The purpose of everything the company did was to gain profit from their customers. Company do not care about goods' expectations, they care just about customers's expectation to goods.

There is another (bigger) problem. These big-tech companies I mentioned is very powerfull, because they have reached dominant status in the size of user base (of those services for free). The Internet has changed from decentralized network of computers to centralized content/service broadcasting platform. We all know why it is not very good for people in general. But people do not realize this either and are trapped in the vendor lock-in, but it is theyself whose actions lead to this situation.

In the question of censorship, there are many questions hard to answer:
  • Who should decide about company moral obligations?
  • Who should pay costs for censorship?
  • Who will decide what kind of information should company censor?
  • What is the insurance that this censorship won't be abused against those who should protect?
False informations are just consequence of issues I mentioned above and low quality education in general (or critical thinking as was already said). If we would like to solve consequences, we should remove causes first. Censorship is not the way, because we cannot reach transparency in information by obfuscating this transparency. We should take responsibility for ourselves and not put it to some company which has no financial interest in solving our issues.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Sy Borg wrote: December 1st, 2021, 6:23 am Sadly, the triple bottom line concept lost favour in the last couple of decades. We are largely back to a single line. $$
Exactly. In our (American-) Capitalist world, profit and the acquisition of personal wealth trump all other priorities, morality included. The old saw "Nothing personal; it's only business" says 'This may be immoral, but it makes me money, so it's OK."
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

figliar0 wrote: December 1st, 2021, 8:11 am
In a Capitalist and Libertarian world, no-one should or does decide. There are no rules; all are free to act to make money and profit. No constraints.

[N.B. Because I recognise the reality doesn't mean I approve of it.]
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
WanderingGaze22

Post by WanderingGaze22 »

Pattern-chaser wrote: December 1st, 2021, 11:04 am
Exactly. In our (American-) Capitalist world, profit and the acquisition of personal wealth trump all other priorities, morality included. The old saw "Nothing personal; it's only business" says 'This may be immoral, but it makes me money, so it's OK."
So bottom line, it's not a problem worth revolving until it affects them.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Pattern-chaser wrote: December 1st, 2021, 11:07 am
In a Capitalist and Libertarian world, no-one should or does decide. There are no rules; all are free to act to make money and profit. No constraints.

There's actually more rules than ever.

How much freedom is there to be found in a world of eight billion people competing for a slice of an ever-decreasing resource pie? The number, interests, attitudes and powers of those around us shape the arena in which we can operate. Hence the world's slide towards authoritarianism. Might is right. As populations grow, governance increasingly becomes akin to herding cats, so there is always pressure to "crack down" on whomever is being most (publicly) inconvenient at the time.

Thus, we are moving towards an abridged form of natural selection, survival of the fittest. That is, survival of the most powerful; survival of the wealthiest and most popular/networked. Controls are implemented by those who can. Consider the ever-greater control of legislation by lobbyists for corporations and employer groups - merchant banks, fossil fuel companies, arms companies, alcohol and junk food, clubs and pubs, monetised religions, and so forth.

In short, democracies have d/evolved into oligarchies. The rules are made by the wealthy, which is not exactly a break from the past. Rather, it appears that the west's brief flirtation with honesty, integrity and long-term thinking in the 20th century has proved to be either a blip, or the first "green shoots".
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Pattern-chaser wrote: December 1st, 2021, 11:07 am In a Capitalist and Libertarian world, no-one should or does decide. There are no rules; all are free to act to make money and profit. No constraints.

Sy Borg wrote: December 1st, 2021, 8:00 pm There's actually more rules than ever.

How much freedom is there to be found in a world of eight billion people competing for a slice of an ever-decreasing resource pie? The number, interests, attitudes and powers of those around us shape the arena in which we can operate. Hence the world's slide towards authoritarianism. Might is right. As populations grow, governance increasingly becomes akin to herding cats, so there is always pressure to "crack down" on whomever is being most (publicly) inconvenient at the time.

Thus, we are moving towards an abridged form of natural selection, survival of the fittest. That is, survival of the most powerful; survival of the wealthiest and most popular/networked. Controls are implemented by those who can. Consider the ever-greater control of legislation by lobbyists for corporations and employer groups - merchant banks, fossil fuel companies, arms companies, alcohol and junk food, clubs and pubs, monetised religions, and so forth.

In short, democracies have d/evolved into oligarchies. The rules are made by the wealthy, which is not exactly a break from the past. Rather, it appears that the west's brief flirtation with honesty, integrity and long-term thinking in the 20th century has proved to be either a blip, or the first "green shoots".
Yes, we don't disagree, we're just expressing it differently. 🙂 I suppose "rules" was a bad word-choice; maybe "constraints" is better? Those who just take what they want have no limits placed upon them by the rest of us; they are free to do as they wish, and what they wish is to take all the wealth for themselves, by any means (moral or not).
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Pattern-chaser wrote: December 2nd, 2021, 8:42 amYes, we don't disagree, we're just expressing it differently. 🙂 I suppose "rules" was a bad word-choice; maybe "constraints" is better? Those who just take what they want have no limits placed upon them by the rest of us; they are free to do as they wish, and what they wish is to take all the wealth for themselves, by any means (moral or not).
This is generally the case with leadership throughout history. There have been brief times and places where decent leaders do their best, but it seems to me that the "green shoots" of ethics are constantly swamped by the "weeds" of self-interest, ego and corruption. What is remarkable that humans, with a history of being lead by violent, despotic types has been as functional, productive and effective as it has done.

The same schema that denies us ethical leadership also managed to drive human progress from grass huts to the ISS, despite people mostly being lead by the selfish, corrupt and deluded. Still, it does seem that the rich today are operating like squirrels busily gathering nuts for a winter they anticipate.
figliar0

Post by figliar0 »

Pattern-chaser wrote: December 1st, 2021, 11:04 am The old saw "Nothing personal; it's only business" says 'This may be immoral, but it makes me money, so it's OK."
I always think that this means something different. Something like: Even if we do not agree each other and maybe do not like each other, we will make bussiness regardless to that. Because we know that bussiness is good for both sides, so why not?
AverageBozo

Post by AverageBozo »

figliar0 wrote: December 2nd, 2021, 4:52 pm
Pattern-chaser wrote: December 1st, 2021, 11:04 am The old saw "Nothing personal; it's only business" says 'This may be immoral, but it makes me money, so it's OK."
I always think that this means something different. Something like: Even if we do not agree each other and maybe do not like each other, we will make bussiness regardless to that. Because we know that bussiness is good for both sides, so why not?
It means what P-c said it means.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

figliar0 wrote: December 2nd, 2021, 4:52 pm I always think that this means something different. Something like: Even if we do not agree each other and maybe do not like each other, we will make business regardless to that. Because we know that business is good for both sides, so why not?
We know this? What is it that says business is good for both sides?

I think the basis for your sentiment is not factual, but a faith position. It is a statement of devotion to Capitalism, and all that it entails. Business, trade and commerce can be seen as desirable from some points of view, but not all.

The moral desirability of Capitalism is what is being questioned here, by me and a few others, and your response clearly comes from an exclusively pro-Capitalist perspective. I do not attack you for this, I merely point it out. But I do challenge your assertion that 'business' is good for all. Not everyone accepts the dogma of your 🤑$$$🤑 Church of Capitalism 🤑$$$🤑.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream