Free Will, Goals and Consequences

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
Arbu123
Favorite Philosopher: Me

Free Will, Goals and Consequences

Post by Arbu123 »

Free Will
When we make a choice, we often have goals and values in mind, like, “I wish to be a doctor (goal), so I’m going to go to medical school (value),” but, as we know, we also often act out on a whim. Having goals and values are important, it seems, in most aspects of life whether they’re immediate, short-term or long-term or goals. A goal is some idea of an achievement you will to accomplish in the future—here or there—important or unimportant—want or don’t want. A value is something that will benefit your attempt at achieving a goal(s). Values can be physical or non physical. Gravity is valuable if your goal is to stay on the Earth. These goals and values often drive our reasoning, and we, as spirits, can have any goal and any value or have neither.
Awareness is valuable to creating goals and values because the mind is like a flashlight and it’s like reality’s dark. Being aware of more potential goals you will to accomplish provides more potential choice making and more success. It “broadens your horizon”. Successful goal achievement says that practicality provides probability of success, too, and so does awareness of values. These two qualities of success (practicality and awareness) often dictate our outcome. If we were trying to be a doctor, it’s practical to go to school. Being aware of the gifts school offers is important and managing our success with practicality is important. Change is also important to goal achievement, and being more aware offers us potential for change as well. If we couldn’t adapt to situations, we’d probably fail. Being aware of potential and of your success is key to acquiring goals. Without gauging success, we’d be clueless as to how to continue or change.
Relationships with reality are important to getting to where we’re trying to be and acquiring all our values is important to getting us there. Possessions and connections are the two most important relationships with reality in terms of goal achieving. You own possessions. You don’t and can’t own connections. My car (possession) gets me to work, which gets me money and food and most anything else I’m trying to achieve. Some possessions have strong value—some more than others—and others have little to no value. To determine the value, we assign one to a goal(s) and gauge how important it is to achieving those goals. My car is highly valuable. It gets me places like work, the grocery store, clubs and bars, which is the extent of my recreation; it gets me plenty of my wants and needs which are usually my essential goals. My pencil has some value (less than my car), because I write for a living. It has some middle-ground value, not like my useless nightstand in the corner. These possessions offer us ways to get what we’re trying to get—our goals. Connections do, too. I have friends that I meet at clubs and bars and it makes for a fun night. I don’t own them. I have a marijuana garden that I quasi-own on my porch, a connection that I have a lesser sociable relationship with, that medicates me for my Parkinson’s (they’re free plants). Connections are “plugs” to get valuables, like an electronic store, my garden, my boss and my friends. Virtues usually find us more connections. However, it’s not necessarily correct to be creative and determined. They are valuable to achieving goals, though, especially by acquiring possessions and connections.
There’s a master/slave relationship with reality also, living or non-living, physical or non physical that seems to be equally important to possessions and connections. I’ve “mastered” my iPad (nonliving and mostly physical) but I’m a “slave” to probation (nonliving and nonphysical). People usually share roles in relationships, sometimes being the master or sometimes being the slave. I’m less sociable than my boyfriend and I play the slave role more often in the aspects of social ability. In other aspects of life, I’m in control of the situation more, like philosophy. Understanding your relationships with reality and their values create a movement of less friction toward your current goals because you’re more practical. Ignorance about your situation often leads to unaccomplished goals.
Judgment, from you or from others, helps utilizing knowledgeable decisions. The “study group” way of managing goals and values generates success and so does informing people of mistakes. I’d rather have the whole planet work on a goal than just a few people, for instance. It helps to know when you’re messing up, too, so having peers help manage your goals generates success.
You’re free to pursue any goal and your free to value any part(s) of reality, but every action has a reaction and every cause has an effect. Just because there’s no purpose in life doesn’t mean there’s not consequences to our actions. Einstein once theorized that E=Mc^2; your effect from an action has been transformed from your action and the cause into different energy. As a young child, if I decide to give another young boy a kiss on the cheek, my action “kiss” is transformed from the cause: “flirtation,” for example, and his reaction is set in potential. “This” could happen or “that” could happen, but the reaction will be based on the cause and the effect. If I transformed my flirty energy into flattery with a kiss, I might get a kiss back, but if I transformed my energy into disgust, I might be repulsed by his reaction. The new energy I put into the kiss: energy A (flattery), transforms to energy B, (a kiss in this case) and that transforms into energy C (lust, pride, loyalty, etc—whatever the little boy feels), and he usually reacts, too, giving energy, or effect D, (blush or a tongue out in disgust, for instance), and we pass around these energies searching balance and harmony. This is where we derive the words “deserve” and “justice” from. If you do action X and energy Y is transformed into me, you deserve something like energy Z because it balances the energy and produces harmony where the energy is shared and stops. Equal energy usually stops the reaction. Stopping energy is the key to producing harmony. Reconciliation is another word that comes to mind when I think of balance, harmony and justice. Reconciliation usually produces harmony, or that’s the idea behind reconciling. Here, energies can cause problems in terms of success if they’re not balanced. Unbalanced energy causes friction in goal achieving and friction is usually smoothed out with crying, certain drug use and/or violence, (either to the self, others or inanimate objects). Violence does solve things and drugs aren’t all that bad. This is the physics of actions—kind of like karma, “You reap what you sew,” or “Eye for an eye; tooth for a tooth.”
There’s a such thing as healthy reactions and they exist in a positive, negative and neutral manner. A healthy positive reaction produces excited energy and a healthy negative reaction produces latent energy that’s not too excited, too latent or too in between. Overreacting is a common problem derived from pent up, unbalanced energy, whether it’s too far into the positive or too far into the negative. We have to get unbalanced energy out—or get it moving—somehow in order to reform a healthy spirit. There’s healthy/positive, healthy/neutral and healthy/negative reactions to newly introduced energy. There’s also an unhealthy/negative, unhealthy/positive and unhealthy/neutral reactions and they’re usually overreacting or under-reacting. Say that same kissed little boy disliked the action and beat me up. I would think it was an overreaction into the positive zone from pent up energy. Some energy in him that was derived from a different action came out during his reaction to being kissed by someone he didn’t like and produced further energy instead stopping the share with a healthy reaction.
Energy behaves this way and I believe our actions create energy. Just like a black hole destroys some of its energy, a spirit can create some energy. Maybe all of it’s transformed, but I believe some energy is created by the spirit. If the spirit couldn’t create some energy, it doesn’t seem like there would be “spirit” in things.
This might sound far fetched but it’s evident that free will and determinism mix. If I choose to do action A, effect B is determined to happen without further intervention. If I choose action C, effect D is determined to happen without further intervention, and so on. That’s the nature of physics. For example, if I throw a ball with x velocity and at y angle, the ball will drop at z distance without further intervention. The choice is if you throw the ball or not and the reaction is determined by physics. Also, say I found a fortune teller and when reading my future, she reaches for her bag and knocks over her crystal ball and I view the future. If I can change the future that’s been determined, then free will exists and we’re able to determine our own future. If we can’t change the future, determinism would be an absolute. I believe by telling people of potential consequences that people can change the future with actions in the present.
When goal achieving, we’re bound to make mistakes according to our goals and success and correcting them is proper if we want the same goal after reflection, otherwise we usually fail because our problems persist. If we want a different goal, we reevaluate and change our goals and values.
The Beast

Re: Free Will, Goals and Consequences

Post by The Beast »

I do agree in the coexistence of Freewill and determinism. The narrative of the kiss has a time lapse since no little boy would think of energies and it is more about the inner sanctum. I enjoyed your analogy and physics of the ball. I could take it a little further to the game of baseball. We now have conflicting goals. As a batter of great talent that is explained by physics, the art of hitting is more about a feeling and to get the feeling the batter goes to a place in the mind called the zone. The pitcher of the smooth delivery knows weaknesses of zone hitters and the exact sequence and speed associated with it. However, when everything fails the next move is to hit the person with the ball. This will throw the hitter off the zone. The pitcher is now a power pitcher. The hitter goes on a slump not knowing why the zone does not work (the black hole). It is the unconscious dialog he needs to figure out. It takes a while. The beast approach is to hit a home run and then go after the pitcher, make sure he gets it in the face and release all unwanted energies from the zone. It is not tooth for a tooth; it is all about the zone. The coach teaches the player, and the man teaches the boy. It is all about the fortune teller and this is you. Anyway, every day is a new pitch and black holes come and go and good players get a lot of love.
Alias
Favorite Philosopher: Terry Pratchett

Post by Alias »

Arbu123 wrote: August 11th, 2022, 6:15 am Free Will
When we make a choice, we often have goals and values in mind, like, “I wish to be a doctor (goal), so I’m going to go to medical school (value),” but, as we know, we also often act out on a whim.
Hold on there. Serious definition problem. "I want to be a doctor" is a goal, yes. "I'll go to medical school.", however, is not a value; it is a plan or means to an end. A value would be: "Human life is important and worth the effort of preserving." Which, if held as a value, would motivate someone to become to become a doctor, but would not provide the means for him to become a doctor.
Acting out on a whim might be a medical student going to a party instead of studying for his anatomy test. It may or may not affect the outcome of either the goal or the value.
Having goals and values are important, it seems, in most aspects of life whether they’re immediate, short-term or long-term or goals. A goal is some idea of an achievement you will to accomplish in the future—here or there—important or unimportant—want or don’t want. A value is something that will benefit your attempt at achieving a goal(s).
No, it isn't.
Values can be physical or non physical. Gravity is valuable if your goal is to stay on the Earth.
Gravity is a force that exists, regardless of human goals or desires. It's nothing to do with us.
These goals and values often drive our reasoning, and we, as spirits, can have any goal and any value or have neither.
What have physical forces, goals, reasoning and 'spirits' got to do with one another?
Words and concepts have meaning. If you don't grasp that meaning, or pervert it, you cannot communicate coherently.
Those who can induce you to believe absurdities can induce you to commit atrocities. - Voltaire
Arbu123

Post by Arbu123 »

The medical school itself is valued…so is gravity.
Samana Johann

Post by Samana Johann »

Maybe a study guide on the matter will (intention, Kamma) is accessable for one or another of yours, to shed light into this topic. Of course, for benefical effects, it's also a very practical, and not only theoretical approach and open, in this way, for prove.
Arbu123

Post by Arbu123 »

Samana Johann wrote: August 21st, 2022, 8:54 am Maybe a study guide on the matter will (intention, Kamma) is accessable for one or another of yours, to shed light into this topic. Of course, for benefical effects, it's also a very practical, and not only theoretical approach and open, in this way, for prove.
Yes! Karma is definable through physics.
Samana Johann

Post by Samana Johann »

Arbu123 wrote: August 21st, 2022, 9:01 am
Samana Johann wrote: August 21st, 2022, 8:54 am Maybe a study guide on the matter will (intention, Kamma) is accessable for one or another of yours, to shed light into this topic. Of course, for benefical effects, it's also a very practical, and not only theoretical approach and open, in this way, for prove.
Yes! Karma is definable through physics.
How could it, if not wrongly, good householder. Better to look out to those knowing and seeing rather then to those who daily find out new and failures in there previous frames of philosophy.
Arbu123

Post by Arbu123 »

By studying actions, emotions, imagination, justice, fair treatment, law, etc. There should be plenty of ways to study!

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream