Rationale of Altruism

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Re: Rationale of Altruism

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Paul91 wrote: October 4th, 2022, 1:52 am Hello Sy Borg,

My motive is to actually provide "food for thought" to people with selfish/narcissistic tendencies.

I think the ideal of purely altruistic behavior would be the opposite of fear-based reactions to other people.
I think the ideal of purely altruistic behaviour would be the opposite of selfish behaviour?
Paul91 wrote: October 4th, 2022, 1:52 am It's definitely a collective effort. I suppose sociopaths in society set examples of what is generally considered toxic behavior. Perhaps that is why the "good guy" usually wins in most stories told. If there is a logical basis behind the ethos, then "evil" tendencies will eventually be defeated.

Phobias, which are mostly irrational, are considered to be "curable". If self-centered behavior is also considered irrational, then why can't that be overcome also?
Sy Borg wrote: October 4th, 2022, 7:57 pm Trouble is, a person who does not care about others, who cannot empathise, would not consider their self-centred behaviour to be irrational, quite the contrary. If aware of various taboos, their focus will be on trying to obscure, distract or use fear to avoid damage to their image for selfish behaviour.
Yes, TV detectives often assume that the offender always acts rationally in their own eyes. There is always a rationale that makes sense to them, no matter how perverse it might seem to others. This rings true to me. The sociopath — for that is surely who you describe here? — sees their own actions as being rational and sensible. More importantly, in this context, no-one who sees their own actions as rational has any inclination or reason to change.

So, if we think, or hope, that certain individuals could or should change their behaviour, how could we persuade them to do so? It would appear we must first convince them that their behaviour is not rational, and then rely on them to act on that realisation. But how? Is it actually real-world-possible, I wonder?

Sy Borg wrote: October 4th, 2022, 7:57 pm In my limited observation, most people seem to value ethics and relationships enough to usually play nicely with others. Of course, three days without food for themselves or their children reduces many to something akin to what we see in wild animals. The upcoming food shortages as a result of Putin's invasion of Ukraine will leave many people without enough food and growing ethical quandaries.
Yes, and your thinking usefully extends beyond war to the ecology, where soils are exhausted and washed away by storms and floods, and where there is not always enough fresh drinking water to go around. It's not a pretty picture.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Paul91

Post by Paul91 »

LuckyR wrote: October 5th, 2022, 3:49 am
Paul91 wrote: October 4th, 2022, 4:09 am
LuckyR wrote: October 4th, 2022, 3:53 am Real societies, just like most individuals, possess a desire to belong to a group (typically through either cooperation or leadership) as well as a desire to be a winner (typically through competition). It's a balance. A balance that has been shifted heavily towards competition since the advent of mass media, this has accelerated rapidly since social media.
Hi LuckyR

If there is respect for your opponents, then you can still win a competition without taking all credit. The win is just a natural outcome of (relatively) performing your best.
Actually winning isn't about performing your best, it's about performing better than your competition. The reality is that if 99 want to cooperate and 1 wants to complete, you'll have a 2 tiered system. In other words the few competitors shape the society.
I based my statement about competition on my experience with playing an individual competitive sport for 10 years. A "good game" would naturally involve some cooperation from your opponent/s (it takes two to tango). If you come out on top, it can demonstrate joint qualities have having, during your period of reign, greater grit and skill than your opponent/s. Some people obviously have environmental and genetic limits that place a ceiling on their status, despite their best efforts. Of course, there can be corruption in social systems that brings unfairness, but this is obviously driven by selfish desires.
Paul91

Post by Paul91 »

Pattern-chaser wrote: October 5th, 2022, 10:45 am
Paul91 wrote: October 4th, 2022, 1:52 am Hello Sy Borg,

My motive is to actually provide "food for thought" to people with selfish/narcissistic tendencies.

I think the ideal of purely altruistic behavior would be the opposite of fear-based reactions to other people.
I think the ideal of purely altruistic behaviour would be the opposite of selfish behaviour?
I see selfish behaviour as driven by fear. The perceived need to guard your sense of self comes with a level of fear and is ultimately selfish in orientation, is it not?
Pattern-chaser wrote: October 5th, 2022, 10:45 am
Paul91 wrote: October 4th, 2022, 1:52 am It's definitely a collective effort. I suppose sociopaths in society set examples of what is generally considered toxic behavior. Perhaps that is why the "good guy" usually wins in most stories told. If there is a logical basis behind the ethos, then "evil" tendencies will eventually be defeated.

Phobias, which are mostly irrational, are considered to be "curable". If self-centered behavior is also considered irrational, then why can't that be overcome also?
Sy Borg wrote: October 4th, 2022, 7:57 pm Trouble is, a person who does not care about others, who cannot empathise, would not consider their self-centred behaviour to be irrational, quite the contrary. If aware of various taboos, their focus will be on trying to obscure, distract or use fear to avoid damage to their image for selfish behaviour.
Yes, TV detectives often assume that the offender always acts rationally in their own eyes. There is always a rationale that makes sense to them, no matter how perverse it might seem to others. This rings true to me. The sociopath — for that is surely who you describe here? — sees their own actions as being rational and sensible. More importantly, in this context, no-one who sees their own actions as rational has any inclination or reason to change.

So, if we think, or hope, that certain individuals could or should change their behaviour, how could we persuade them to do so? It would appear we must first convince them that their behaviour is not rational, and then rely on them to act on that realisation. But how? Is it actually real-world-possible, I wonder?
I hope that logical persuasion can and will convert sociopaths. I don't believe all of them are "too far gone" or a "necessary (natural) evil" either.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Paul91 wrote: October 5th, 2022, 1:53 pmI hope that logical persuasion can and will convert sociopaths. I don't believe all of them are "too far gone" or a "necessary (natural) evil" either.
If cognitive therapy made a difference to sociopaths, it would be standard treatment. At this stage, there is no known way to cure sociopathy. Some machines are too damaged to be repaired.
Paul91

Post by Paul91 »

Sy Borg wrote: October 5th, 2022, 3:52 pm
Paul91 wrote: October 5th, 2022, 1:53 pmI hope that logical persuasion can and will convert sociopaths. I don't believe all of them are "too far gone" or a "necessary (natural) evil" either.
If cognitive therapy made a difference to sociopaths, it would be standard treatment. At this stage, there is no known way to cure sociopathy. Some machines are too damaged to be repaired.
So, what would you consider to be the best approach?
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Paul91 wrote: October 5th, 2022, 4:03 pm
Sy Borg wrote: October 5th, 2022, 3:52 pm
So, what would you consider to be the best approach?
CBT is probably the best. However, at this stage it's not considered to be a cure, as such, unfortunately. The hardest part is for them to admit having a problem to present to therapy.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Paul91 wrote: October 5th, 2022, 12:49 pm
LuckyR wrote: October 4th, 2022, 3:53 am Real societies, just like most individuals, possess a desire to belong to a group (typically through either cooperation or leadership) as well as a desire to be a winner (typically through competition). It's a balance. A balance that has been shifted heavily towards competition since the advent of mass media, this has accelerated rapidly since social media.
Hi LuckyR

If there is respect for your opponents, then you can still win a competition without taking all credit. The win is just a natural outcome of (relatively) performing your best.
Actually winning isn't about performing your best, it's about performing better than your competition. The reality is that if 99 want to cooperate and 1 wants to complete, you'll have a 2 tiered system. In other words the few competitors shape the society.
I based my statement about competition on my experience with playing an individual competitive sport for 10 years. A "good game" would naturally involve some cooperation from your opponent/s (it takes two to tango). If you come out on top, it can demonstrate joint qualities have having, during your period of reign, greater grit and skill than your opponent/s. Some people obviously have environmental and genetic limits that place a ceiling on their status, despite their best efforts. Of course, there can be corruption in social systems that brings unfairness, but this is obviously driven by selfish desires.
All true on the field of play between competitors. But I was addressing the idea of cooperation in relation to competition. Fact is, in a situation of the cooperative vs competitive , the competitive are almost always going to come out on top.
"As usual... it depends."
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

LuckyR wrote: October 5th, 2022, 5:35 pm

Hi LuckyR

All true on the field of play between competitors. But I was addressing the idea of cooperation in relation to competition. Fact is, in a situation of the cooperative vs competitive , the competitive are almost always going to come out on top.
That comes down to game theory. Below are the results of repeated games of Prisoners' Dilemma
Axelrod’s Tournament (1980)
• 14 Entrants (mostly PD experts) wrote a computer program to play PD [Prisoners' Dilemma] in a round robin with other entrants, a RANDOM program, and itself (one game of 200 move)
• History to date in the current game is available to the program.
• Winner was TIT FOR TAT: 1st move: cooperate, then mimic the last move of the opponent. Simplest program entered (4 lines of code)
• Top eight entrants were *nice*: would not defect first
• Remaining 6 were *not nice*

Tournament Analysis
-------------------------
• Why were nice strategies so successful? Nice strategies did so well against each other.
Not-nice strategies often beat nice strategies, but both players got low scores.
• TIT For TAT won because it also did well against not nice strategies.
– Key quality here is forgiveness, the propensity to cooperate after partner’s defection.
– FRIEDMAN was worst performing nice strategy – never forgave a defection for rest of game
• Clever algorithms sought to manipulate. The most successful strategies showed clear reciprocity and insensitivity to manipulation.
• Algorithms failed to account for 3rd order: the response to my response.
• Three other rules were found that would have won if entered, including TIT FOR TWO TATS.
https://www.osti.gov/servlets/purl/1429470

Here we see that non-cooperation beat cooperation, but neither did well. By contrast, cooperators working with cooperators was the most effeictive option.
Paul91

Post by Paul91 »

Thank you, Sy Borg, for this fascinating slideshow on game theory: https://www.osti.gov/servlets/purl/1429470

It looks promising. Perhaps we are living in a massive simulation of game theory. Here are practical points worth highlighting from the slideshow:

"Practical Lessons
• For a player:
o Don’t be envious
o Don’t be first to defect
o Reciprocate both cooperation and defection
o Don’t be too clever (kills clarity, etc.)
• To create an environment for cooperation
o Enlarge the shadow of the future
 Longer period of interaction
 More interactions per unit of time
o Change the payoffs
o Teach altruism
o Teach reciprocity
o Improve recognition abilities"

It does seem that co-operative, altruistic systems are not just "kind", but also advantageous both for the individual and society in the long-run. There's evidence of altruism in other animals as well (we are not so special).
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Sy Borg wrote: October 5th, 2022, 7:58 pm
LuckyR wrote: October 5th, 2022, 5:35 pm

That comes down to game theory. Below are the results of repeated games of Prisoners' Dilemma
Axelrod’s Tournament (1980)
• 14 Entrants (mostly PD experts) wrote a computer program to play PD [Prisoners' Dilemma] in a round robin with other entrants, a RANDOM program, and itself (one game of 200 move)
• History to date in the current game is available to the program.
• Winner was TIT FOR TAT: 1st move: cooperate, then mimic the last move of the opponent. Simplest program entered (4 lines of code)
• Top eight entrants were *nice*: would not defect first
• Remaining 6 were *not nice*

Tournament Analysis
-------------------------
• Why were nice strategies so successful? Nice strategies did so well against each other.
Not-nice strategies often beat nice strategies, but both players got low scores.
• TIT For TAT won because it also did well against not nice strategies.
– Key quality here is forgiveness, the propensity to cooperate after partner’s defection.
– FRIEDMAN was worst performing nice strategy – never forgave a defection for rest of game
• Clever algorithms sought to manipulate. The most successful strategies showed clear reciprocity and insensitivity to manipulation.
• Algorithms failed to account for 3rd order: the response to my response.
• Three other rules were found that would have won if entered, including TIT FOR TWO TATS.
https://www.osti.gov/servlets/purl/1429470

Here we see that non-cooperation beat cooperation, but neither did well. By contrast, cooperators working with cooperators was the most effeictive option.
Sure, that data is from PD, with it's particular set of outcomes (which determine the winner, relatively speaking). In Real Life, in a competition between someone who gives a damn vs someone who doesn't, isn't really a fair comparo. The good news is in such a system, the loser doesn't care that he lost, so one could ask: did he really lose?
"As usual... it depends."
Paul91

Post by Paul91 »

In "TIT for TAT" there is only defection when it is discovered that an individual defected in the last game. Otherwise, the default mode is cooperation.

Here is my current understanding of "TIT for TAT" in the real world:

There are individuals in society, call them narcissists or sociopaths, who made an initial decision to defect, out of temptation to have both freedom from the "bondage" of conditional love (the force behind reciprocal altruism) and to have greater wisdom than an empath (to actually know and practice "evil"). The consequence is that there would be external shame/judgment by "good" people once they see through the narc's façade (the façade that hides their "shameful" decision to defect). The consequence of this abandonment is eventual death for the selfish/narcissistic individual.

I believe that a better system would be to acknowledge that any initial "favour" is actually free, and to "return the favour" would involve cooperative acts that extend beyond mere selfish gain, with such a successful outcome demonstrated in the Prisoner's Dilemma experiments. There would be no actual or perceived obligations or sacrifices.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Paul91 wrote: October 4th, 2022, 1:52 am I think the ideal of purely altruistic behavior would be the opposite of fear-based reactions to other people.
Pattern-chaser wrote: October 5th, 2022, 10:45 am I think the ideal of purely altruistic behaviour would be the opposite of selfish behaviour?
Paul91 wrote: October 5th, 2022, 1:53 pm I see selfish behaviour as driven by fear. The perceived need to guard your sense of self comes with a level of fear and is ultimately selfish in orientation, is it not?
I would not contradict you, but I think there are other contributory factors too, maybe many of them.

We are talking about a very basic behaviour here, and a spectrum of behaviour, from the extremes of selfish to altruistic, covering the middle area in between. I would be surprised to find that there is only one 'cause' for such behaviours.

Paul91 wrote: October 5th, 2022, 1:53 pm I hope that logical persuasion can and will convert sociopaths. I don't believe all of them are "too far gone" or a "necessary (natural) evil" either.
There are many people — bright, intelligent and well-informed people — who say this, but it really doesn't seem to be the case. Logical persuasion does not change people's minds. We only have to refer to our own life experience, in the real world, to confirm this. Purely logical argument often causes people to double down on their beliefs and/or behaviour. It can make matters worse. Human being are not logical or rational creatures. Yes, we can behave logically and rationally, on occasion, but we definitely can't keep it up.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Paul91

Post by Paul91 »

Pattern-chaser wrote: October 6th, 2022, 7:54 am
Paul91 wrote: October 4th, 2022, 1:52 am I think the ideal of purely altruistic behavior would be the opposite of fear-based reactions to other people.
Pattern-chaser wrote: October 5th, 2022, 10:45 am I think the ideal of purely altruistic behaviour would be the opposite of selfish behaviour?
Paul91 wrote: October 5th, 2022, 1:53 pm I see selfish behaviour as driven by fear. The perceived need to guard your sense of self comes with a level of fear and is ultimately selfish in orientation, is it not?
I would not contradict you, but I think there are other contributory factors too, maybe many of them.

We are talking about a very basic behaviour here, and a spectrum of behaviour, from the extremes of selfish to altruistic, covering the middle area in between. I would be surprised to find that there is only one 'cause' for such behaviours.
Well, I suppose in order to have productive conversation, we can't make false assumptions, but neither is it helpful to make ideas unnecessarily complex. I don't mean to oversimplify just for the sake of argument. I'm still open to other ideas as well.
Paul91 wrote: October 5th, 2022, 1:53 pm I hope that logical persuasion can and will convert sociopaths. I don't believe all of them are "too far gone" or a "necessary (natural) evil" either.
Pattern-chaser wrote: October 6th, 2022, 7:54 am There are many people — bright, intelligent and well-informed people — who say this, but it really doesn't seem to be the case. Logical persuasion does not change people's minds. We only have to refer to our own life experience, in the real world, to confirm this. Purely logical argument often causes people to double down on their beliefs and/or behaviour. It can make matters worse. Human being are not logical or rational creatures. Yes, we can behave logically and rationally, on occasion, but we definitely can't keep it up.
So, what role do you think philosophy plays?
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Pattern-chaser wrote: October 6th, 2022, 7:54 am There are many people — bright, intelligent and well-informed people — who say this, but it really doesn't seem to be the case. Logical persuasion does not change people's minds. We only have to refer to our own life experience, in the real world, to confirm this. Purely logical argument often causes people to double down on their beliefs and/or behaviour. It can make matters worse. Human being are not logical or rational creatures. Yes, we can behave logically and rationally, on occasion, but we definitely can't keep it up.
Paul91 wrote: October 6th, 2022, 9:26 am So, what role do you think philosophy plays?
In persuading sociopaths to change their ways? None whatsoever, IMO.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Paul91

Post by Paul91 »

If you say "logical persuasion does not change people's minds" and we are "not logical or rational creatures", then what role do you think philosophy plays in society in general? To me, your argument makes the art/science of philosophy seem a bit vain.

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream