Supreme Court affirmative action cases

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
InfinityMuse

Re: Supreme Court affirmative action cases

Post by InfinityMuse »

The laws are based to enact equality in the mixed use spaces. The issue with equality is nationalism. Is the college or president favors foreign interventions then not American is safe is colleges. If equity is implemented then the Chinese students become weapons against the state or nation as a body (people and union). The courts are ignorant of social political powers because jurisprudence is of checks and balances. The court house was contested based on factors of impunity and safe space ideologies. Should the courts rule against the will of the judge and against the will of the jury, the case could result in abstinence of education by the crime of education (good or bad). Should the courts the rule in favor of benefit of doubt then collegiate system could be seen as obsolete by the correspondence of complainant to movement or rule by force.

The consequence is essentially terrorism or interceptor conjunction.
Mercury

Post by Mercury »

LuckyR wrote: November 1st, 2022, 3:22 am No doubt that those who have benefitted generationally are all too quick to declare that past racism is deplorable and the best solution is to base current decisions on "objective" criteria of "merit" in a colorblind way. The unspoken reality though is that the "objective" criteria skew heavily to the advantaged which happen to break nicely along racial lines due to left over advantages from numerous past generations of racial discrimination. Thus perpetuating racism through a colorblind technique.
That is a consideration; and a reason I have resisted such a conclusion, but I think the argument fails because it's not Richy Rich who gets displaced by affirmative action. It's a poor white kid, up for the same scholarship program as the poor black kid - who doesn't get in. Which leads back to the idea of colourblind meritocracy and programs to help disadvantaged people with talent achieve their potential - regardless of skin colour.
So long, and thanks for all the fish!
Ecurb

Post by Ecurb »

Mercury wrote: November 1st, 2022, 5:59 am
LuckyR wrote: November 1st, 2022, 3:22 am No doubt that those who have benefitted generationally are all too quick to declare that past racism is deplorable and the best solution is to base current decisions on "objective" criteria of "merit" in a colorblind way. The unspoken reality though is that the "objective" criteria skew heavily to the advantaged which happen to break nicely along racial lines due to left over advantages from numerous past generations of racial discrimination. Thus perpetuating racism through a colorblind technique.
That is a consideration; and a reason I have resisted such a conclusion, but I think the argument fails because it's not Richy Rich who gets displaced by affirmative action. It's a poor white kid, up for the same scholarship program as the poor black kid - who doesn't get in. Which leads back to the idea of colourblind meritocracy and programs to help disadvantaged people with talent achieve their potential - regardless of skin colour.
Obviously, affirmative action is a form of racial discrimination. It's reasonable to think this wrong on principle. But the Universities never claimed that their admission standards are objective. Admission relies an a great many subjective factors. Whom should we admit: the "A" student who scored 1450 on his SATs, or the B+ student who scored 1300, but who also starred in high school plays and got his SAG card carrying a spear in two movies? Why should test scores be so significant? Also, suppose we have two identical applicants (based on their scores). One is black, one white. Whom are you going to admit? In the past, it was always the white guy. Why not admit the black guy (or gal)? Instead of creating an insular university promoting the status quo (preferring the white guy), the university is creating a racially diverse environment for its students and faculty, a public image of liberal acceptance, and the message that black students can succeed at Harvard just as well as anyone else. Isn't that worth something? Mightn't black scholars with Harvard PhD.s benefit African American culture, provide examples of black success and brilliance, and, in general, offer society (and Harvard's reputation) benefits far beyond what another Hedge Fund manager might offer?

All parents have heard their children whine, "But that's not fair!!!"

"Life is unfair," is the standard response.

Left unsaid is the corallary, "We must all muddle through the best we can." Harvard doesn't necessarily owe applicants objectivity or "fairness". The motive of the applicants is the glory of acceptance, and the advantages of a Harvard education and degree. But Harvard has other motives. It wants to improve it's image, develop famous scholars, and benefit both its alumni and society at large. Perhaps by giving a slight advantage to black applicants, Harvard believes it is working toward these goals, and wishes it could, like parents everywhere, respond to complaints with, "Life is unfair,"
GE Morton

Post by GE Morton »

Ecurb wrote: October 30th, 2022, 7:30 pm
P.S. I'm not sure if any Supreme Court decisions would affect private universities, or only state univerisities. Does anyone know?
The Court consolidated two cases, one involving U of North Carolina, the other Harvard. The legal issues are somewhat different in the two cases. Being a public school, UNC is subject to the 14th Amendment's "equal protection of the law" clause, AND to the various civil rights acts. Harvard, being private, is subject only to the latter.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/31/us/s ... ction.html
Ecurb

Post by Ecurb »

That makes sense, GE. It seems reasonable that public Univeristies are subject to different laws and restrictions from private ones. Thanks (although I can't read the link, because I don't subscribe to the NYT). I don't really know the legal issues; my posts have been based on what I see as the moral issues instead.
GE Morton

Post by GE Morton »

Ecurb wrote: October 31st, 2022, 9:20 am
Huh? It would also be very difficult to find an example of the founding Fathers opposing affirmative action. The question is whether the State has the right to PREVENT universities, based on their own private policies, from considering an admission policy that includes affirmative actions.
That issue is not before the Court. Nine states, including California and Washington, already ban affirmative action in their state schools. No state bans it for private schools. The question before the Court is whether states may allow, or require, affirmative action, not whether they may prohibit it.
The question is about the limits of the State's right; it is important because the Supremes have repeatedly found it unconstitutional for States to legalize (for example) segregated bathrooms, segregated public schools, and businesses that refuse to serve people whose color they disapprove of. So there is precedent for the Supremes acting on the side of racial equality (which, of course, would not support affirmative action).
Yes; all of those are obvious violations of the equal protection clause.
So the question before the Justices is whether some forms of racial discrimination (like affirmative action) are "justified". The constitution has little to do with it.
If the Court takes that approach the justices are not doing their jobs, which is to interpret the Constitution and federal laws. What they need to do in these cases is re-visit the decisions reached in a couple earlier cases finding that the goal of "diversity" permits violations of the equal protection clause. Those decisions were as spurious, constitutionally speaking, as Roe v. Wade; indeed they had even less constitutional plausibility.

The situation is different for private schools, however. The equal protection clause does not apply to them; the question there is, Do the various federal civil rights laws prohibit affirmative action by private schools? If they do, is that not a pre-emption of states' rights? If they encourage or require it, are those (federal) laws themselves constitutional?

The optimum resolution, from a libertarian viewpoint, would be that the Court strictly apply the equal protection clause to public schools, and reject the "diversity" exception. But it would leave private schools alone to adopt any admissions criteria they wish.
Mercury

Post by Mercury »

Ecurb wrote: November 1st, 2022, 10:16 am "Life is unfair,"
Ecrub,

I'm responding to say I'm not responding to your post. You make an impassioned case for your position - and I respect that. I don't want to argue against it; not because I entirely agree, or entirely disagree, but because in arguing for my view relative to yours - in this forum, it feels like I'm being polarised. I read your post, I've read some others, listened to the court debate on youtube - and I still don't know - and I don't want a position I argued myself into because argument is the format of this forum. So thank you for your views, but I'm going to sit back a while - and see what other people have to say.
So long, and thanks for all the fish!
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Ecurb wrote: November 1st, 2022, 10:16 am
Mercury wrote: November 1st, 2022, 5:59 am
Obviously, affirmative action is a form of racial discrimination. It's reasonable to think this wrong on principle. But the Universities never claimed that their admission standards are objective. Admission relies an a great many subjective factors. Whom should we admit: the "A" student who scored 1450 on his SATs, or the B+ student who scored 1300, but who also starred in high school plays and got his SAG card carrying a spear in two movies? Why should test scores be so significant? Also, suppose we have two identical applicants (based on their scores). One is black, one white. Whom are you going to admit? In the past, it was always the white guy. Why not admit the black guy (or gal)? Instead of creating an insular university promoting the status quo (preferring the white guy), the university is creating a racially diverse environment for its students and faculty, a public image of liberal acceptance, and the message that black students can succeed at Harvard just as well as anyone else. Isn't that worth something? Mightn't black scholars with Harvard PhD.s benefit African American culture, provide examples of black success and brilliance, and, in general, offer society (and Harvard's reputation) benefits far beyond what another Hedge Fund manager might offer?

All parents have heard their children whine, "But that's not fair!!!"

"Life is unfair," is the standard response.

Left unsaid is the corallary, "We must all muddle through the best we can." Harvard doesn't necessarily owe applicants objectivity or "fairness". The motive of the applicants is the glory of acceptance, and the advantages of a Harvard education and degree. But Harvard has other motives. It wants to improve it's image, develop famous scholars, and benefit both its alumni and society at large. Perhaps by giving a slight advantage to black applicants, Harvard believes it is working toward these goals, and wishes it could, like parents everywhere, respond to complaints with, "Life is unfair,"
Moving from the student perspective (in my first post) to the University perspective, which you address, there are several errors of understanding going on. The first is that if an elite school has 100 positions and needs to offer 150 acceptance letters to fill the class, that the top 150 applicants are "qualified" and starting at the 151st they are "unqualified". Fact is there are likely thousands of qualified applicants. So making up a freshman class with a mix of test scores and GPAs is perfectly logical and creates the student body that the University is seeking, for example a certain number of foreign students, a certain number of student athletes etc. A certain number of "legacy" students also btw.

Bottom line there aren't enough elite school slots to go around so a majority of truly qualified applicants will get rejected, regardless. So being rejected is the norm, not an unusual circumstance that automatically deserves explanation.
"As usual... it depends."
ernestm

Post by ernestm »

Ecurb wrote: October 31st, 2022, 5:38 pm
ernestm wrote: October 31st, 2022, 12:49 pm
I dont know what cuntry you live in, but in the I live in, the authority of the supreme court is constitutionally defined as the right to interpret the founding fathers in how to remove obstructions to constitutional rights. Thats what the constitution says. Its not allowed to decide what it thinks its right by some arbitrary standard of morality as you are insisting is true. It has not right to decide that. All it can do is interpret the founding fathers intent. The supreme court is not your santa claus to smile benignly on your opinion when you think it should. It has no interest in your opinion at all.
I live in the U.S., and that's why I know you are wrong. The Supremes are charged with interpreting a variety of laws -- not as to whether they are "constitutional", but as to whether they are just and fair, and what they actually mean. I remember one case where some Southern state had a mandatory sentencing law which required a 25 year prison sentence for anyone using a firearm during the commission of a drug related felony. The felons serving this sentence appealed, and the case went to the Supremes. The facts of the case were: the convicted felons had traded firearms for drugs. Does this constitute "using a firearm during the commission of a drug related felony"? Scalia said no. That might have been the literalist interpretation of the law, but it was not the intent of the legislature. "Suppose," he wrote (paraphrased from memory, "Someone had scratched his head with a pistol while driving to purchase drugs. Is that the "use" intended by the legislaure?"

In addition, the Supreme Court generally pays attention to legal precedent, as well as to what is actually written in the Constitution. Here's the Encyclopedia Britannica description of the duties of the Court: https://www.britannica.com/topic/Suprem ... -and-power
The "use' intended by the legislature in your cited case is defined by the Heller decision, clause 1a to 1f. That determined what uses of firearms cannot be obstructed due to Justice Scalia's interpretation the Founding Father's original intended meaning of the 2nd Amendment, which was held, 5:4.
ernestm

Post by ernestm »

GE Morton wrote: November 1st, 2022, 12:53 pm
Ecurb wrote: October 31st, 2022, 9:20 am
Huh? It would also be very difficult to find an example of the founding Fathers opposing affirmative action. The question is whether the State has the right to PREVENT universities, based on their own private policies, from considering an admission policy that includes affirmative actions.
That issue is not before the Court. Nine states, including California and Washington, already ban affirmative action in their state schools. No state bans it for private schools. The question before the Court is whether states may allow, or require, affirmative action, not whether they may prohibit it.
The question is about the limits of the State's right; it is important because the Supremes have repeatedly found it unconstitutional for States to legalize (for example) segregated bathrooms, segregated public schools, and businesses that refuse to serve people whose color they disapprove of. So there is precedent for the Supremes acting on the side of racial equality (which, of course, would not support affirmative action).
Yes; all of those are obvious violations of the equal protection clause.
So the question before the Justices is whether some forms of racial discrimination (like affirmative action) are "justified". The constitution has little to do with it.
If the Court takes that approach the justices are not doing their jobs, which is to interpret the Constitution and federal laws. What they need to do in these cases is re-visit the decisions reached in a couple earlier cases finding that the goal of "diversity" permits violations of the equal protection clause. Those decisions were as spurious, constitutionally speaking, as Roe v. Wade; indeed they had even less constitutional plausibility.

The situation is different for private schools, however. The equal protection clause does not apply to them; the question there is, Do the various federal civil rights laws prohibit affirmative action by private schools? If they do, is that not a pre-emption of states' rights? If they encourage or require it, are those (federal) laws themselves constitutional?

The optimum resolution, from a libertarian viewpoint, would be that the Court strictly apply the equal protection clause to public schools, and reject the "diversity" exception. But it would leave private schools alone to adopt any admissions criteria they wish.
That's a very good statement. thank you very much )
Ecurb

Post by Ecurb »

ernestm wrote: November 1st, 2022, 7:48 pm
The "use' intended by the legislature in your cited case is defined by the Heller decision, clause 1a to 1f. That determined what uses of firearms cannot be obstructed due to Justice Scalia's interpretation the Founding Father's original intended meaning of the 2nd Amendment, which was held, 5:4.
I don't have the book any more, but I got the story from John Capanzano's "Serving the Word: Literalism in America from the Pulpit to the Bench" My memory is that the Second Amendment had nothing to do with the case. Instead, the issue was what is meant by a law mandating a sentence for someone who "USES" a firearm in the commission of a drug related felony. Literalists might insist that any "use" satisfies the conditions. To paraphrase Scalia, they might want to sentence someone to 25 years hard labor if he stood on a box of rifles to reach the drugs he was selling.

Scalia (in this case) was more of an intentionlist (aka purposivist). What, he asked, did the legislature mean when it wrote "uses a firearm". Did they, perchance, mean using it for it's accustomed purpose, which is to shoot or threaten? Does bartering firearms qualify? Scalia said, "no."

I don't remember why the Supremes got involved in a case adjudicated in Louisiana (I think) and concerning Louisiana law.
ernestm

Post by ernestm »

Ecurb wrote: November 1st, 2022, 8:37 pm
ernestm wrote: November 1st, 2022, 7:48 pm
I don't have the book any more, but I got the story from John Capanzano's "Serving the Word: Literalism in America from the Pulpit to the Bench" My memory is that the Second Amendment had nothing to do with the case. Instead, the issue was what is meant by a law mandating a sentence for someone who "USES" a firearm in the commission of a drug related felony. Literalists might insist that any "use" satisfies the conditions. To paraphrase Scalia, they might want to sentence someone to 25 years hard labor if he stood on a box of rifles to reach the drugs he was selling.

Scalia (in this case) was more of an intentionlist (aka purposivist). What, he asked, did the legislature mean when it wrote "uses a firearm". Did they, perchance, mean using it for it's accustomed purpose, which is to shoot or threaten? Does bartering firearms qualify? Scalia said, "no."

I don't remember why the Supremes got involved in a case adjudicated in Louisiana (I think) and concerning Louisiana law.
What the argument is about is whether people are keeping or bearing arms when they wave them around. If they are bearing arms, they are guilty. If they are merely keeping them, they are innocent.

If you actually want a real argument, you would have to uphold living interpretation over originalism. According to current legal doctrine, originalism is the correct interpretation of the 14th amendment. So one would properly say the Supreme Court's authority is derived from the Constitution, rather than is Constituional. But the problem is, the living interpretation turns the Supreme Court into a whimsical fairy godmother, which is entirely against the prevailing doctrine in philosophy of law, legal positivism. So you have a pretty tough road ahead of you if that's what you want to argue.
GE Morton

Post by GE Morton »

Here is a decent summary of the Court's option in these current cases:

https://reason.com/volokh/2022/10/31/th ... tion-cases
ernestm

Post by ernestm »

GE Morton wrote: November 1st, 2022, 10:41 pm Here is a decent summary of the Court's option in these current cases:

https://reason.com/volokh/2022/10/31/th ... tion-cases
Well that's fascinating to me. It'll take me a little time to digest it in entirety. My first question is, under what definition of justice does the public's level of approval for the SoC define the opinions of 'wavering justices'? It is based on Rousseau's social contract, or truth by consensus, or what?
Ecurb

Post by Ecurb »

ernestm wrote: November 1st, 2022, 8:52 pm
What the argument is about is whether people are keeping or bearing arms when they wave them around. If they are bearing arms, they are guilty. If they are merely keeping them, they are innocent.

If you actually want a real argument, you would have to uphold living interpretation over originalism. According to current legal doctrine, originalism is the correct interpretation of the 14th amendment. So one would properly say the Supreme Court's authority is derived from the Constitution, rather than is Constituional. But the problem is, the living interpretation turns the Supreme Court into a whimsical fairy godmother, which is entirely against the prevailing doctrine in philosophy of law, legal positivism. So you have a pretty tough road ahead of you if that's what you want to argue.
That's not my memory of the case I was citing (I don't thinkit had anything to do with the 2nd or 14th amendments), but since I read the book twenty years ago, and since a 5 minute google didn't reveal more information, I can't back up my claim (also, it doesn't much matter).

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream