Is writing ‘evil’?

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
amorphos_ii

Is writing ‘evil’?

Post by amorphos_ii »

Is writing ‘evil’?

A strange and ancient Druidic belief here for you.

The ancient Britons did have writing – Ogham, and the Gauls used Greek and later Roman writing mostly for commercial use, though it was considered to be ‘evil’. Consider that as you are reading this, you have to think what this is telling you to think! Also consider how advertising and propaganda works.

I had a rather spiritual dream or vision once, where I saw Gods hand pointing to a wall whereupon writing appeared. As I read it the letters fizzed around and changed such that I could not read the message. I was left with the notion that ‘the truth cannot be written’!

- I wonder what Moses would have thought.

I mean, God has not written anything and neither did Jesus.

Consider that when civilisation began in ancient eastern turkey, a temple was built. To me the expense of that could only be met by a ruling elite, probably to substantial and justify their leadership and control. Maybe people thought they could do it for themselves and kept rebelling.

Then when monotheism came along the rulers must have thought it was Christmas, I mean, one God, one king etc, must have been a dream religion to the elites, all of whom had their place in the hierarchy.

I Don’t think Jesus means for future kings to draw up their family tree with him at the root of it, and his religion appears to be totally against the whole elitism thing. Thing is, people began to think that God had a purpose and that they were part of it.

In short then, is writing evil? or at least be treated with suspicion. What does that mean for law and religion? Maybe that law should not be akin to shariah law, and religious works are not the truth!

_
JackDaydream

Re: Is writing ‘evil’?

Post by JackDaydream »

amorphos_ii wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 4:04 pm Is writing ‘evil’?

A strange and ancient Druidic belief here for you.

The ancient Britons did have writing – Ogham, and the Gauls used Greek and later Roman writing mostly for commercial use, though it was considered to be ‘evil’. Consider that as you are reading this, you have to think what this is telling you to think! Also consider how advertising and propaganda works.

I had a rather spiritual dream or vision once, where I saw Gods hand pointing to a wall whereupon writing appeared. As I read it the letters fizzed around and changed such that I could not read the message. I was left with the notion that ‘the truth cannot be written’!

- I wonder what Moses would have thought.

I mean, God has not written anything and neither did Jesus.

Consider that when civilisation began in ancient eastern turkey, a temple was built. To me the expense of that could only be met by a ruling elite, probably to substantial and justify their leadership and control. Maybe people thought they could do it for themselves and kept rebelling.

Then when monotheism came along the rulers must have thought it was Christmas, I mean, one God, one king etc, must have been a dream religion to the elites, all of whom had their place in the hierarchy.

I Don’t think Jesus means for future kings to draw up their family tree with him at the root of it, and his religion appears to be totally against the whole elitism thing. Thing is, people began to think that God had a purpose and that they were part of it.

In short then, is writing evil? or at least be treated with suspicion. What does that mean for law and religion? Maybe that law should not be akin to shariah law, and religious works are not the truth!

_
It is interesting that most of the esteemel teachers didn't write but delivered their teachings orally, including Jesus, Siddhartha Gautama (Buddha) and Socrates. The ten commandments forbade images of God being made although Christianity went to the other extreme of making so many icons. My understanding of why making images of God was forbidden was that it could result in idolatry.

However, it may be that the issue of writing and spirituality says more about culture and writing. The teachers I mentioned may have spent more time engaging with the people rather than sitting down writing and reading. There is some speculation that the time prior to Jesus's ministry was spent in India studying, but whether it is anything other than speculation is questionable.

Writing, as you say, often was for the elite, whereas in the information age it is common place, and those who are unable to do, such as people with severe dyslexia, are left in a disadvantaged position. As far as elitism goes the politics of spiritual traditions comes into the picture. For example, in the first couple of centuries in Christianity there was so much tension over what was or was not considered to be Gnostic heresy. This influenced so much of what became included in the canon of the New Testament. Spiritual teachers may have been involved in direct teaching with the production of books being overseen by political authorities in many traditions.
amorphos_ii

Post by amorphos_ii »

Well those first centuries were spent fighting over what was ‘the truth’, when there was no need ~ except to the ruling elite. Just think, now there would be no different Christian religions nor denominations et al, if they just let it be.

Yea in this information age the idea of no writing isn’t plausible. However, how we view things like fake news and propaganda is very relevant and important. A safe bet imho is to regard all text with suspicion, which I have to say isn’t happening much. On the news yesterday was conspiracy theories about bill gates, as if ‘the man’ would be that obvious even if it did make covid happen on purpose.

I have to say that the amount of corruption in politics and business is intolerable. Companies like twitter and fb think they have the right to do as they please, because western governments believe in non-interference. Yet governments are there to watch over such things and the industry leaders like fb should be the safest.

The safety of the world is at stake as the Ukraine has a pair of scales sat right on it. Yet western propagandists keep pushing and prodding Russia and China, then if Putin fails it will be Iran next then somehow China. It seams they wont be happy until the entire world is subjugated, regardless of the consequences. We could end them or they us in a day.
Ecurb

Post by Ecurb »

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God...
Writing, and words in general, have long been associated with mystical and magical power. However, I'm not sure about God not writing. What about the Ten Commandments? Were'nt they written?

St. Augustine recounts seeing St. Ambrose (I think, I may remember the names wrong) reading without (horrors!) speaking aloud or moving his lips. He thought there might be some sort of strange, Satanic possession that allowed Ambrose to do this. Words -- in those days -- were evidently meant to be spoken -- even if they were also written down.

So I writing may not be thought to be evil -- but it is powerful, and power can promote the wicked as well as the good.
amorphos_ii

Post by amorphos_ii »

all religious texts are writen by people, no one claims otherwise except that as you say, that they were listenning to God or thought they were. i dunno maybe there was another monk stood behind a tree saying stuff lol. either way, none of such instances actually God speaking directly to us. i mean come on, God could surely speak and write if he wanted to!

so God was lying to me then? the truth can be written! now where is that piece of writing that is true!!!!!!!
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

I don't disagree with the comments made so far, but I wonder if we are neglecting the practicalities? At the time of the Druids, paper was not generally available, parchment was rare and expensive, and writing incised on rocks isn't very portable. The Druid culture was therefore an oral one, by necessity.

So, when writing was starting to become more common, 'traditionalists' will probably have objected. They were only human, after all! Perhaps the idea that writing was/is 'evil' came from this?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
value
Premium Member

Post by value »

It is an interesting question. Pattern-chaser seems to be right with his question "could they have written anything?" but perhaps there is more to the question, with a clue being the notion of JackDaydream: "The ten commandments forbade images of God being made".

Morality in my opinion cannot be "Written Down". But does that mean that writing is evil?

The complex philosophical work by French philosopher Emmanuel Levinas The saying and the said might provide interesting insights from a non-religious philosophical perspective. Emmanuel Levinas his works are similar to that of Martin Heidegger and are named Totality and Infinity (Ethics as First Philosophy) and Otherwise than Being.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_saying_and_the_said
https://academic.oup.com/fordham-schola ... /181772996
https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/levinas/
amorphos_ii

Post by amorphos_ii »

The druids had Ogham writing written on hazelwood fews. It’s simple lines bisected by other lines and only meant for short messages and occult stuff [as runes were used].

I concur with your point, but should add that Gauls used greek and later roman, but only for commerce.

It is the Druidic attitude that I go with, ~ to view everything with suspicion, as if people are trying to persuade or control us with words and indeed images. Also that talking can invite discussion intervention etc, whereas writing is more dictum.
Ecurb

Post by Ecurb »

amorphos_ii wrote: February 6th, 2023, 4:56 am

It is the Druidic attitude that I go with, ~ to view everything with suspicion, as if people are trying to persuade or control us with words and indeed images. Also that talking can invite discussion intervention etc, whereas writing is more dictum.
Oh, no! People are trying to persuade me! Fear not. Nobody can persuade me about anything, because I was always right in the first place.

The Druid suspicions about writing may have been economic. Without copyrights, once something is written it becomes public knowledge. The Druids may have wanted to keep their secrets "in house". Homer probably lost some performing opportunities when the Iliad was written down. Buy the book instead of listening to the show. (Although books may have been more expensive than shows, in those days.)
JDBowden

Post by JDBowden »

If you could write back in the day (even now), you were taught it by someone. Therefore, you would have been/are educated. We can see from history that educated individuals posed a danger to the status quo. These individuals began to think independently and question things. Obviously, this was no bueno for the old guys in charge. So, yes: writing was "evil" as a ploy to scare and control the spread of information. Sounds applicable for today. I must throw into the mix the invention of the printing press. The church did NOT want this and even went as far to stop it. Educated individuals, yet again, would begin to question the faith. That for them, again, was no bueno. To label writing as "evil" would be like labeling someone a "witch."
amorphos_ii

Post by amorphos_ii »

Good point ecurb, the ancients would definitely have wanted their secrets to remain so, and probably thought that if you write them down then what they mean wont be present in the text.

Jd, those things are true, though I don’t think the druids had anything to hide in that particular way, but the elites sure would have. Religion has always been misused by the ruling classes.

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream