The other apocalypse

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
amorphos_ii

Re: The other apocalypse

Post by amorphos_ii »

right, because india isnt over populated is it, so all that dharma must work then...?

i am afraid it will need a lot more than ethics, and the world wont listen anyway.
Stoppelmann
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Alan Watts

Post by Stoppelmann »

amorphos_ii wrote: February 18th, 2023, 5:19 am The other apocalypse
Aside from nukes, neurotoxins in water supplies and global warming, there is another potential apocalypse on the near horizon. Food security.
I think that there is a far bigger problem approaching because sea levels continue to rise due to global warming. Many assume that this is a cyclical phenomenon that has only become a little worse due to human activity, but the problem is different. Most of the Earth's freshwater is stored in ice caps and glaciers, and a relatively small amount is available as surface or groundwater. Much of our fresh water on the continents comes from surface water sources such as rivers, lakes, and reservoirs. In some countries, such as the Canary Islands where I was last week, water scarcity is a major problem and access to freshwater is limited. In the Canary Islands, alternative water sources such as desalination (removal of salt from seawater), rainwater harvesting, and wastewater recycling are used to supplement traditional freshwater sources.

However, sea level rise could threaten freshwater supplies in certain regions, particularly in areas where freshwater sources are located near the coast or in low-lying areas, for example, through saltwater intrusion. As sea levels rise, saltwater can enter freshwater aquifers and contaminate groundwater. This can make water unsuitable for drinking, irrigation, and other uses. The other problem is that CO2 can indirectly affect freshwater quality by contributing to acid rain. When CO2 is released into the atmosphere, it can react with other compounds, such as sulphur dioxide and nitrogen oxides, to form acids such as sulfuric acid and nitric acid. These acids can then fall to the earth's surface as acid rain, which can acidify lakes and streams, making the water more acidic and potentially harmful to aquatic life. In addition, elevated levels of CO2 can contribute to ocean acidification, which can indirectly affect freshwater systems as well. When CO2 dissolves in seawater, it forms carbonic acid, which can lower the pH of the ocean and make it more acidic. This can have impacts on marine ecosystems, including shell-forming organisms, which can make it more difficult for them to build and maintain their shells.

Although our civilisations have made some progress in reducing CO2 emissions in recent years, there is still much work to be done to lower CO2 levels in the atmosphere to levels that are sustainable for the planet. I think that the potential temperature rise, addressed by the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), which was established in 1992 to address the issue of climate change, is therefore only a way of making the problem measurable. International agreements and efforts to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, including the Paris Agreement in 2015, which set a goal of limiting global warming to well below 2°C above pre-industrial levels, must point to the more immediate danger of the threat to freshwater supplies.

We have allowed global greenhouse gas emissions to continue to rise, reaching record levels in 2019 before declining slightly in 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and are more concerned about issues that have secondary importance, such as world dominance. The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) has warned that urgent and ambitious action is needed to limit global warming and prevent the most catastrophic impacts of climate change. In short, while there have been some efforts to reduce CO2 emissions, there is still much work to be done to achieve the necessary reductions and limit the impacts of climate change and protect our water supply. The dominance of the world will probably be decided by who has the natural resources and ability to feed their population, but fresh water is supremely important.
“Find someone who makes you realise three things:
One, that home is not a place, but a feeling.
Two, that time is not measured by a clock, but by moments.
And three, that heartbeats are not heard, but felt and shared.”
― Abhysheq Shukla
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

amorphos_ii wrote: February 24th, 2023, 10:15 am I think Trump won but lost, so Biden lost but won, which means democracy failed and America has no valid president.
Then what are you doing in a philosophy forum? Shouldn't you be out 'making America great again'?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

amorphos_ii wrote: March 11th, 2023, 9:04 am hmm, ‘tis a strange ‘apocalypse’ where no one is harmed or dies, but a race and culture does.
I wonder if you are aware that the English — not the British — spent many decades (centuries?) trying to erase the Welsh culture? In the time of my grand-parents, a Welsh child, in a Welsh school, heard to be speaking Welsh, was placed into a portable pillory — yes, those things that we thought belonged in mediæval times! — as a punishment. Tortured, for speaking their own language in their own country. I believe the Scots were treated more or less similarly.

So which culture is in the wrong, and which (if any?) are in the right? Who are the "British" communities or people under threat here? It seems as though the white English remain as a majority, and continue in their own rabid xenophobia uninterrupted, so what is your issue here? Are you hoping to send all non-white Brits to Rwanda, perhaps, á la Cruella Braverman?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
amorphos_ii

Post by amorphos_ii »

Stoppleman

interesting read but global warming is not ‘the other apocalypse’, so you post perhaps belongs on another thread.

Pattern-chaser
why the need to be disparaging?
i don't believe in nor like Trump, i was albeit speculatively suggesting that a given other body of people are ruling us, and if so that democracy at best is limited in its power and mandates.
Secondly that was off-topic, we should be discussing what the op meant.

I completely concur on your points about how the English treated people, but I am not part of their aristocracy and ordinary people in England were treated terribly by them too. What say in anything do you think ordinary people have? I don’t mind if we bring back Celtic culture and language at all mate. :)
We have always been mixed culture, but it happened over far longer periods of time and mostly in smaller numbers. The Normans were terrible because they were an invader culture who still think they are above everyone else [long topic I know]. Many Muslims hate us and don’t think of themselves as our friends or guests, schoolgirls get grabbed off the street and forced into prostitution and effectively gang raped, according to bbc news this has been occurring in towns and cities up and down the country en-masse. Only people who declare themselves to be our enemies would act like this.

All of which is besides the point; ‘the man’ only cares about free trade and growth, so they just keep building up the numbers irrespective of whether or not newcomers even like us or want to blend with us et al.

Perhaps we should get back on topic more? I only speak about ‘the man’ because of the reasons stated e.g. they wont stop growing vines in order to grow food instead etc.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

amorphos_ii wrote: March 20th, 2023, 3:59 pm ...schoolgirls get grabbed off the street and forced into prostitution and effectively gang raped, according to bbc news...
I have just searched as thoroughly as I could, and this does not appear to be true or correct. There are crimes, of course, terrible crimes, and terrible criminals, but this does not seem to agree with your above opinion.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

amorphos_ii wrote: February 18th, 2023, 5:19 am The other apocalypse

Aside from nukes, neurotoxins in water supplies and global warming, there is another potential apocalypse on the near horizon. Food security.

There are enough global hectares to feed 15 billion people. Oh that’s ok then, because there are currently only 8 billion people on earth. Populations in the first world are stabilising and levelling off, in fact I saw an hour long documentary on at prime time on a major channel. In which they said that populations will level off at around 10 billion. In the whole show they never once mentioned immigration, which will place people from growing populations into nations otherwise stabilising.

What happens if people globally eat twice as much!

This will be the equivalent of doubling the world population.

Worse, before we get to mass starvation [at least in the first world] do you think that e.g. wine growers will rip up their vines and start growing food crops?

I suspect that elitism is just around the corner, and it will be justified – somehow. Governments don’t interfere with businesses do they. So all the non-food crops, bio fuel etc, will continue to be grown.
The politics of that situation worries me a lot!
Your numbers are meaningless and lack any nuance.
They assume that each person is the same, and that one hectare of land is equivalent to any other.
Since one hectares of land is functionally equivalent to 200 other hectares, depending on location, this means that your figures are empty of content.
Different hectares can only produce different food stuffs, and different food stuffs have different nutrient properties. Worst still access to those food stuffs is not based on need, but on financial greed.

You have a right to be worried though. But you can think your lucky stars that you live in a consumer nation with all the global power and not a producers nation with all the resources but no political power. That way you are completely separated from the consequences that your consumption brings to the bio-economy of the earth.
amorphos_ii

Post by amorphos_ii »

i got the data [UN i think] on global hectares from the news, but a quick google gave me this

https://www.wri.org/insights/how-sustai ... -21-charts

it is not just the amount of global hectares, its the amount we eat as the world can afford more.

pattern-chaser

point was...
'the muslims' do xyz

is the same as

'the english' do xyz

we are all quick to generalise and put labels on people.

usually there are a few pople at the top who who dish out the commands, or a few people who do the evil. others know or are involved, but what worries me is that a few people - 'the man', can issue commands which the others follow.

as for the news story, yea they kept that one quiet and i couldnt find it either. here is one i did find but its 8 years old, so not the same story. anyhow, the point i was making was as stated above.
Agent Smyth

Post by Agent Smyth »

Gyms are intriguing places - reminds me of those vents in offshore oil rigs ... burning fuel for no apparent reason.
Never send a man to do a machine's job. 8)
amorphos_ii

Post by amorphos_ii »

fyi my politics inc anti brexit stuff can be found here...

www.politicsforum.co.uk.

strange thing is, i cannot get on the site anymore. i havent been banned or anything, just get 'site cannot be reached' or 'dns server not responding'. be interesting to see if anyone else can get on there?

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream