What makes an action immoral?

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Re: What makes an action immoral?

Post by Terrapin Station »

An action being immoral amounts to disapproving (basically "booing") that action, where we're talking about interpersonal actions that one considers more significant than etiquette.
Alpha1
New Trial Member

Post by Alpha1 »

Morality is relative and it depends mostly on culture and society of Man. For example, considering some past indigenous culture promote human sacrifices and even some promote cannibalism we can never really say that they were immoral in the first place because for them that is the moral thing to do and we as an outsiders cannot impose our way of thinking into theirs. Although Human life is valuable, its value depends on the culture that will judge that person's life, some may deemed it highly while others not. What's morally right maybe wrong in other culture but this is relative as to time and place. So to answer your question my answer is it depends.
popeye1945
Favorite Philosopher: Alfred North Whitehead

Post by popeye1945 »

Morality is based upon one human biology and what promotes the well being of that biology. All cultures are not equal in their formation of a morality, morality in order to be morality must be in a commonality of the promotion of life and well being. As morality is a meaning, it necessarily is the property of biological consciousness, a biological subject. As it is consciousness that bestows meaning upon the physical world, it is necessarily subjective, the objective has no meaning which is not bestowed upon it by biological consciousness. Subject and object stand or fall together. Morality is not relative, as its foundation is life and well being. :) :)
Nine
New Trial Member

Post by Nine »

Burning Giraffe wrote: June 4th, 2009, 11:04 am
philoreaderguy wrote:What makes an action immoral? How do we know if a certain choice, action, or behavior is immoral?
That requires a meta-ethical analysis of morality itself. Is what makes something moral in the intention, in the action, or in the consequence? Is morality an objective natural law or is morality dependent upon a broader subjective standard.
In my opinion, what makes something moral is in the intention and in the consequence only.

It's in "the intention" because when a man takes a bomb to shield his team, it is morally good even if it's suicide as it saves more lives and is completely voluntary. Voluntariness also makes it morally acceptable to society.

It's in "the consequence" because if a woman aborts a child due to her incapability in raising it( since she was a rape victim for example), then her suffering will significantly be lessened plus a child unwanted by both parents will not suffer as it grows. Taking the child's life is to prevent this greater suffering anyone would do anything to avoid.

Greater suffering is what people fear and fear controls them. It doesn't matter if it takes one or several peoples' lives, I think what prevents the greater suffering to humanity instead of what brings more benefit to humanity, changes people's attitude on "the action" that was done.

Compare the consequence of [1]gaining benefits to ending up in [2]greater suffering:

[1]A certain President orders the massacre of drug addicts for a brighter future, shooting also thousands of clean people along the way. It's for a better future but is it really morally acceptable? How could the ends based on 'benefits' justify the means?

If ends were based on avoiding 'suffering' however:::

[2]An example that better explains this is the case of homosexuals and their discrimination. As we all know, gays were hated by so many people some years ago but somehow they were slowly accepted by society. Why is this so? Is it so that gay people will have the same rights as everyone and they will have happily ever afters? I don't think so. The chase of benefits like that easily fell onto deaf ears after all.

I think it's because gay people have 'suffered' so much and even multiplied so much that the number of these people who are suffering has finally caught people's attention that they began to question if hating on gay people was really morally right. Thus, we now in the modern world are trying to lessen their 'suffering' by giving them rights to marriage and more.

What do you all think about morality as simply anti-suffering?
evolution

Post by evolution »

philoreaderguy wrote: March 6th, 2007, 10:53 am What makes an action immoral? How do we know if a certain choice, action, or behavior is immoral?
If we would not want a behavior done to us, if we were "in their "shoes", as they say, and absolutely Everyone could agree with and accept this, then that is what makes a behavior immoral.

Very simple and very easy really.

Unless, of course, ANY can prove this false, wrong, or incorrect.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

An action is moral if it does not make the life of another person/animal more difficult than it would ordinarly be.
evolution

Post by evolution »

What makes a behavior moral is a behavior that is needed for continued survival and which is agreed and accepted as a right (or good) behavior by EVERY one. A behavior that would NOT be accepted and agreed to as being done upon you, if you were in that "other's" place, is what makes a behavior immoral.
evolution

Post by evolution »

popeye1945 wrote: February 5th, 2021, 4:51 pm An action is moral if it does not make the life of another person/animal more difficult than it would ordinarly be.
So, having to go to work, to go to school, being punished are all immoral actions, correct?
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Evolution, I said more than it would normally be.
evolution

Post by evolution »

popeye1945 wrote: February 5th, 2021, 5:25 pm Evolution, I said more than it would normally be.
You actually said, "ordinarily be".

But, besides that, what is "ordinarily/normally" in relation to, EXACTLY?

My life was made far more difficult AFTER I was FORCED to go to school and to work, because BEFORE them my life was ordinarily being far less difficult.

Also, how does one determine what is "ordinary" punishment?

ANY adult could excuse or "justify" their dealing out of punishment onto "another" as just "this is how it is "ordinarily" or "normally" done.

Your definition/answer of what makes an action moral is far to 'relative', from my perspective, I will clearly add here now.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Hi-Evolution, Normally/ordinarily would mean that an individual does not intentionally increase your suffering in this world beyond what your life might dispense to you, without their intervention.
evolution

Post by evolution »

popeye1945 wrote: February 6th, 2021, 11:37 am Hi-Evolution, Normally/ordinarily would mean that an individual does not intentionally increase your suffering in this world beyond what your life might dispense to you, without their intervention.
I KNOW.

But as I pointed out, obviously MORE CLEARLY to some than to "others", my suffering WAS INCREASED by what was INTENTIONALLY FORCED upon 'me', in "this world".

Some can NOT YET SEE this because of the way DECEPTION is FORCED upon them, UNKNOWINGLY and UNWITTINGLY.

See, being FORCED to ENDURE hours upon hours of BOREDOM to "learn some thing" is perpetrated under the disguise of this is what "naturally" has to happen to you, in "this world". So, this COMPLETELY UNNECESSARILY FORCED SUFFERING is done under the illusion and disguise of this is NOT "increasing your suffering".

This is ALL deception that the perpetrators of the abuse are NOT even AWARE of "themselves".

Just like when an adult physically punishes a child and tells them, "This will hurt me more than it does you". Adult human beings say and do some things, which happens under a 'deceived illusion' that they are TOTALLY NOT EVEN AWARE of.

There are thousands of examples of these. But you appear to be under the illusion that this could NOT POSSIBLY BE HAPPENING, correct?

By the way, the "world", itself, does NOT dispense ANY suffering AT ALL. The ONLY suffering that gets dispensed, in "this world", is the suffering dispensed by ADULT human beings onto CHILDREN.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

evolution wrote: February 5th, 2021, 5:19 pm
popeye1945 wrote: February 5th, 2021, 4:51 pm An action is moral if it does not make the life of another person/animal more difficult than it would ordinarly be.
So, having to go to work, to go to school, being punished are all immoral actions, correct?
What do you mean by "having" to go to work? No one "has" to go to work.
"As usual... it depends."
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

evolution, Yes I do see your point, I was disenchanted with how much of my childhood was taken up with public education of such poor quality. So little taught in such a lengthy period. I think however one must look at it as the legal systems do in measuring guilt and thus punishment, the weighing element being intent. To say all suffering is child abuse is stretching the point somewhat, although I do appreciate your general perspective. I have a rather simple formula for judgeing my own action, is this action going to relieve suffering or will it produce more suffering in the world. We are all part fools, intent is good mediating consideration.
evolution

Post by evolution »

LuckyR wrote: February 7th, 2021, 4:08 am
evolution wrote: February 5th, 2021, 5:19 pm
What do you mean by "having" to go to work? No one "has" to go to work.
Very good point. NO one 'has to' go to work in the Truest sense. But there are a lot of adult human beings who ridicule and degrade those who do not go to work. Thus there can be a sense of, "I have to go work", instilled into the human being.

The sense of, "You have to work", is also continually instilled in most human beings, from early childhood in fact. The current to when this is being written "education system" is largely centered around enforcing the BELIEF that "you HAVE TO work".

Otherwise what are children actually being "educated" for?

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream