The March Philosophy Book of the Month is Final Notice by Van Fleisher. Discuss Final Notice now.

The April Philosophy Book of the Month is The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight. Discuss The Unbound Soul Now

The May Philosophy Book of the Month is Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler.

How do you feel about vengeance?

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
Thrylix

Re: How do you feel about vengeance?

Post by Thrylix » December 4th, 2018, 7:10 pm

Vengeance is a human emotion and thus should be indulged whenever its consequences aren't greater than its benefits. :P

Intellectual_Savnot
Favorite Philosopher: Myself

Post by Intellectual_Savnot » March 5th, 2019, 2:18 pm

If personally I were to have my own personal vengeance, I would be utterly ruthless and destructive. Vengeance to those who care only for the destruction of the enemy is more of a fun game than a serious matter of importance. If I were not such a well conforming citizen of the USA, I would surely be the most ruthless, die young, vengeance getting human in the history of our nation. Would I think it wrong? It is possible, I cannot speak for what I am not. However, I do not think vengeance for myself would be "eye for eye". I as well believe like all things, they finish only at conclusion. You can't feel like you win a video game until you see the "Victory!" screen. You can't have truly finished your emotional lapse until you have gutted the subject of your terror in your own plain sight. Logically speaking, vengeance is a tool for the strong to keep the weak at bay. I think if I were to ever get into one of my supreme interests, gang conflict, I would use it extensively to any and all ends. What do you think? I hope you have a good day, stay comfy out there!

LuckyR

Post by LuckyR » March 5th, 2019, 9:09 pm

Intellectual_Savnot wrote:
March 5th, 2019, 2:18 pm
If personally I were to have my own personal vengeance, I would be utterly ruthless and destructive. Vengeance to those who care only for the destruction of the enemy is more of a fun game than a serious matter of importance. If I were not such a well conforming citizen of the USA, I would surely be the most ruthless, die young, vengeance getting human in the history of our nation. Would I think it wrong? It is possible, I cannot speak for what I am not. However, I do not think vengeance for myself would be "eye for eye". I as well believe like all things, they finish only at conclusion. You can't feel like you win a video game until you see the "Victory!" screen. You can't have truly finished your emotional lapse until you have gutted the subject of your terror in your own plain sight. Logically speaking, vengeance is a tool for the strong to keep the weak at bay. I think if I were to ever get into one of my supreme interests, gang conflict, I would use it extensively to any and all ends. What do you think? I hope you have a good day, stay comfy out there!
Huh? Vengeance isn't classically used by the strong since, by definition it's used by those who have suffered a loss.
"As usual... it depends."

Intellectual_Savnot
Favorite Philosopher: Myself

Post by Intellectual_Savnot » March 7th, 2019, 1:30 pm

Strong people take losses too, that isn't something that is unfamiliar to the strong or the powerful.

LuckyR

Post by LuckyR » March 8th, 2019, 2:23 am

Intellectual_Savnot wrote:
March 7th, 2019, 1:30 pm
Strong people take losses too, that isn't something that is unfamiliar to the strong or the powerful.
That's true,of course though is not commonly part of the braggadocio of the self described "strong".
"As usual... it depends."