How do you feel about vengeance?

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
Wdk7

Re: How do you feel about vengeance?

Post by Wdk7 »

Thrylix wrote: October 17th, 2019, 3:29 am
Hereandnow wrote: August 20th, 2019, 12:45 pm

The appropriateness of a punishment is a complicated thing. Those who developed the punishment? This would be less a who than a what: centuries of law making, precedents established, public sentiment changing, the compelling sense of fairness or equality, of making the whole affair morally nonarbitrary, the compromise between what the statute says and the flexibility of legal thinking, and so on.

My view on this is that revenge as a motivation should be punitively irrelevant. How angry we are about what was done should be punitively irrelevant. Punishment is not going to be perfect; indeed, I argue that once the dust of the legal process is settled, no punishment makes moral sense. At all. which is different from saying there is no justification for it. That justification is simply pragmatic: we do it because nothing else works better (as an institution with alternatives, and so forth).
Your sentences on "revenge as a motivation should be punitively irrelevant" is a big redundant mish-mash of words. Is "punitive irrelevance" a new expression you coined?

Your ideal view of criminal justice basically ignores how the victim of a crime is impacted and also ignores what the victim wishes to see happen to the accused if they are convicted. If you believe that, why should the victim be out of the equation? Seeing the guilty punished or at least made to do everything possible to make amends is sometimes the only thing that will grant peace of mind to the victim.

Rehabilitation and restitution are important parts of a criminal's sentence, but those two things often aren't enough to make the victim feel whole again in many situations. And they deserve to be made whole. If you had a son and some nutcase shot kidnapped or killed him, you probably wouldn't be okay with your anger being "punitively irrelevant."
What about when the victims view of proper punishment exceeds human treatment. For example: a man steals from a store, and the store owner wants his hands chopped of for it. It is the duty of the state to insure a humane punishment is given regardless of the victims emotional standards for justice. I don't agree with lenient sentences for egregious crimes, but having the victims clouded judgement determine sentencing seems irisponsible.
Mans

Post by Mans »

We live in a world that its pleasant and unpleasant events have been interlocked to each other. The world by all its limited beauties and enjoyments is not the same that human wishes.

Some unpleasant and unwanted events come from the nature and some are created by the untrained and unrighteous humans. Even Some natural events are relative to the type of actions of human!

Well, here we don't want to discus about the natural events, rather we are talking about the vengeance or infliction act against a series wrong action that are done by a guilty human or a group of humans.

Law is something that is particular to human, though the nature itself has been established based on the accurate rules and order systems. Of course Some primitive rules and laws exist in the animal and even plants world. For example, a lion specifies its boundary by urinating in some points of an area a thus warn other lions that it is the owner of the limited area and alert them not to violate the rule and the border. It even sometimes makes some meaningful roars to warn other lions to avoid its border and respect its ownership. If an arrogant lion ignore the rule and enter the lion's limitation then a fight will be unavoidable between the the lion and the strange trespasser lion.

The more wonderful thing is that if a buffalo kills the kitten of a lioness in its absence, the lioness will seek for the killer by the smell of blood of its killed kitten on the horns of the buffalo within the cattle. In this situation, Its investigation is not for hunting but is just for vengeance! In the condition, it has nothing to do with the faultless buffaloes but just try to find the guilty one! In this revenge even some other lionesses accompany it to take down the killer buffalo!

Well, we go back to human. He is not comparable with animals with their primitive rules. Human is different with animals because of his unique intelligence and high ability of understanding. Law is the main axis of human's life because of his high intellect and great social life. The social laws of human is so mach detailed and comprehensive than the animals with a primitive life that mostly are based on their instincts and emotions.

The wisdom of human is a powerful guard against its illegal desires and emotions so he is responsible against his decisions and actions in the human society. Imam Ali said in one of his quotes, "kill your (illegal) desires with your intellect".

The problem of the untrained and lawless humans is this, they don't use their intellect and want to attain their illegal desires forcefully out of the laws. This manner of behaviors is because of ignorance or selfishness unexceptionally.

As human is intelligence and know what he is doing, he is responsible against social laws. Before a wrongdoer does a wrong versus others Law has warned him about the consequence of doing the crime and the punishment that is specified in respond to the wrong.

Personal vengeance is not allowed except in the dangerous situation that self-defense is necessary. So the majority of infliction go back to judiciary after a trial and judgment based on the laws. (Justice) punishments exists and we can't deny them but the execution depend on the appeal of the rightful side. If he forgives the wrongdoer, the punishment will be canceled and if he appeals for infliction of punishment, it will be executed.

However the vengeance is the right of the damaged person. He is free to forgive or appeal for punishment (by law) of the wrongdoer.

Of course the international wrongs that maybe is done by a lawless government or army is different with the civil wrongs. As there is not a notable international law and judiciary with the executive power in the world, (in some situations) there will not be any alternative except a suitable military respond as vengeance or deterrent.
Marvin_Edwards
Favorite Philosopher: William James

Post by Marvin_Edwards »

Vengeance is most likely a survival instinct. One person reaches for someone else's biscuit and gets a fork in his hand. It's a very simple behavior modification technique, causing the offender to think twice before doing it again.

There are two problems. One is that vengeance can easily become a cycle, a feud like that between the Hatfields and McCoys. Each side trying to "even the scales", but each time tilting it more out of whack.

The other problem is that it is usually more than is reasonably required to correct the behavior. So it creates a new injustice while trying to correct the current injustice.

So, society uses a system of justice to replace the function of vengeance, to correct the behavior and prevent the offender from repeating the offense until his behavior is corrected.
Papus79

Post by Papus79 »

I got to thinking about this a bit yesterday after... lol... reading some of my own posts and seeing the duress that I've been under. A good way to frame that one - I've been working every day for a solid month (ie. 10-12 hours per day, 7 days per week) and it's because of other people's oversights creating a scheduling emergency.

I get to see, closer than I ever wanted to, some combination of not only how reckless, careless, and sloppy people can be but I also get to see where it's even game-theoretically advantageous for them to be that careless if the care, and liability, actually rests with someone further down the chain of command. Yes, they're taking an extremely dangerous calculated risk, I could up and leave and they could lose a heck of a lot. This sort of schema actually depends on me being the sort of decent person who wouldn't do that, and since I'm at my first real programming job they have the gambit that I'd have no resume if I don't put myself through this. Strangely I don't have much reason to believe my employer is that morally pragmatic or cunning, it seems more like they have a strange sort of 'padding' that hides reality from them and their confidence in life seems to come from not seeing threats, being highly socially likable, etc..

Where my current state gets me - my concern about vengeance is that it has to be both felt and served cold if it's ever a necessity.

What I mean is that all kinds of things can be going wrong, you can be in a position where it would be great to discharge your pain, and any direction you could fire that discharge in would be a friendly fire incident. I think this is a large part of why we generally, in the west and even in the east, avoid vengeance typically as causes of problems are most often too complex to find a villain who needs direct retribution.

The cases where I think of vengeance being appropriate then are situations where you're dealing with an overt bully, or a tribe of bullies. For example you were on your own if you thought that peaceful diplomacy would get you very far if you had a small kingdom of farmers facing down the Mongol hordes. There have been some highly violent cultures in the past that at least gave people the ability to surrender and pay taxes without armed conflict ever occurring, ie. the Assyrians as far as I know were like that and they make a rather gory display of what happened to those who challenged their power. That said you will have people, especially various kinds of narcissists, who will reliably take kindness for weakness and there are situations where you literally will never be allowed to live in peace unless you manually knock them off their thrown, and in that case it's not that taking vengeance is something you'd do for the sake of discharging pain, you'd be doing it because if the person doesn't see some degree of violent capacity in you - enough to get them to stop the behavior - they'll be taking the same liberties with you from that point forward.

The real danger of vengeance is of course honor culture. It's backward, barbaric, we really need good substitutes and I suppose corporate, financial, reputational, etc. violence is a step up from that but I think we need even better means to deal with conflicts because it's a lot of damage that we're constantly inflicting on human progress and, somewhat obviously, the more damaged people are running around out there the worse our odds are for having a desirable future as a species.
Humbly watching Youtube in Universe 25. - Me
SneakySniper179

Post by SneakySniper179 »

Perfectly logical but so is this thought. If you deal with monsters, you become a monster. If you go down to that level you become that person. It's just a cost of doing business at that point if you accept the responsibility that come with it.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

SneakySniper179 wrote: February 10th, 2021, 9:18 pm Perfectly logical but so is this thought. If you deal with monsters, you become a monster. If you go down to that level you become that person. It's just a cost of doing business at that point if you accept the responsibility that come with it.
Monster is a pejorative label and is thus unhelpful. Your point is a good one though, if you choose to act like the transgressor, then you take on some of the liabilities of the transgressor. When it comes to my family, I'm ok with that.
"As usual... it depends."
BobS

Post by BobS »

SneakySniper179 wrote: February 10th, 2021, 9:18 pmIf you deal with monsters, you become a monster. If you go down to that level you become that person.
In using the royal "you," you're speaking for everyone?

That raises some questions, starting with: even if you just know that you would become a monster if you "dealt with" a monster, how do you know that it's the same for everyone? Do you really believe that by approving the killing of Osama Bin Laden, Obama "became Osama"? That anyone approving of the death penalty for Timothy McVeigh, as appropriate vengeance, has "become Timothy McVeigh"? Ditto re the defendants at Nuremberg?

I oppose the death penalty, but not for moral reasons (beyond the problem of unequal application). From a moral standpoint, I heartily approve of the death penalty for the murderers just mentioned. I consider it appropriate retribution, yet I don't find myself filled with an urge to fly an airplane into an office tower, blow up a building (even one containing a day care center) or engage in genocide. In fact, I can't think of anything monstrous that I'm inclined to do. Does that make me morally inconsistent? If so, please explain how it does.
Haliaeetus

Post by Haliaeetus »

Interesting blog post, Scott . I also do not support prison systems, and see them as more a form of vengeance than rehabilitation. In an eye for an eye society, the only thing that would make sense to me is to accrue enough power to have your way with anything. Only power would matter, and we would tear each other to pieces for dominance.

I have reservations concerning rehabilitation toward convicted offenders, however. I think for society to support not incarcerating a criminal, they need assurance for some magnitude of crime of being reasonably non-repeatable. My solution is exile. Specifically, Antartica.

I know this sounds extreme, but for a fraction of the cost of our current system, we set up bare minimum supplies for a grevious offender colony. Then simply establish a threshold for people to be deemed dangerous enough to warrant criminal expulsion.

No guards. No fences. No surveillance. Heck, I can’t imagine anyone crazy enough to try and extract people from this place. I believe these criminals would rehabilitate themselves. What I don’t have a solution for is if Antarctica were to develop into a civil nation. At one point Australia stopped being a prison colony. Then it becomes less of a solution to one country or countries, and simply dumping problems onto another.

At some point an exile colony becomes a short term solution. However long it takes for that to happen, I’m not sure. Curiou to your thoughts: too severe? Unjust? “Cruel and unusual”?
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Haliaeetus wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 1:46 pm Interesting blog post, @Scott . I also do not support prison systems, and see them as more a form of vengeance than rehabilitation. In an eye for an eye society, the only thing that would make sense to me is to accrue enough power to have your way with anything. Only power would matter, and we would tear each other to pieces for dominance.

I have reservations concerning rehabilitation toward convicted offenders, however. I think for society to support not incarcerating a criminal, they need assurance for some magnitude of crime of being reasonably non-repeatable. My solution is exile. Specifically, Antartica.

I know this sounds extreme, but for a fraction of the cost of our current system, we set up bare minimum supplies for a grevious offender colony. Then simply establish a threshold for people to be deemed dangerous enough to warrant criminal expulsion.

No guards. No fences. No surveillance. Heck, I can’t imagine anyone crazy enough to try and extract people from this place. I believe these criminals would rehabilitate themselves. What I don’t have a solution for is if Antarctica were to develop into a civil nation. At one point Australia stopped being a prison colony. Then it becomes less of a solution to one country or countries, and simply dumping problems onto another.

At some point an exile colony becomes a short term solution. However long it takes for that to happen, I’m not sure. Curiou to your thoughts: too severe? Unjust? “Cruel and unusual”?
Interesting, you don't support prisons but you do support the death penalty for every offense. Nice...
paradox

Post by paradox »

Scott wrote: March 19th, 2008, 11:19 pm What do you think? How do you dissuade people from vengeance? What arguments do you have against vengeance? What do you see as the flaws in the philosophy of an eye for an eye? How can we convince people not to make policy choices based on vengeance?
Best vengeance is the one when you know it's time to stop. (to be said: aloud, fiercely and only once)
I don't advocate vengeance, but that's my method that worked to dissuade people from vengeance.

Telling someone either "don't take revenge" or "do revenge" is simply counterproductive and double edge sword.
dattaswami
Banned

Post by dattaswami »

Scott wrote: March 19th, 2008, 11:19 pm [The following topic is featured as a leadup to the May philosophy book of the month discussion of Holding Fire.]

If you haven't already, check out this blog post I made: [url=http://scottsafetyshop.com/blog/2008/03/19/vengeance-payback-revenge/]Vengeance, Payback, Revenge[/url]

What do you think? How do you dissuade people from vengeance? What arguments do you have against vengeance? What do you see as the flaws in the philosophy of an eye for an eye? How can we convince people not to make policy choices based on vengeance?

Like anybody, I may succumb to emotions in the heat of the moment (which is almost always regrettable), but I generally do not support vengeance and instead choose compassion. But I want to know what arguments you have against vengeance.
The ultimate truth, which is the highest understanding of spiritual knowledge, is that God will certainly address every bit of action in this world. He will do it in His own way and not in our hasty way. Before punishing sinners for their sins, God gives them some time, which is an opportunity for reformation. If a sinner gets reformed, all the sinner’s punishments for that particular type of sin are cancelled by the grace of God. If the sinner who committed injustice against you gets reformed in this manner, then along with excusing the sinner’s punishment, God also compensates you for your loss in a big way.

It does not matter to you, whether or not the sinner got punished since you do not get any compensation, when your enemy is punished. But if you are patient and you maintain full confidence in God, God will reward you with a very big compensation for your excellent patience and marvelous confidence in Him. You will be compensated, whether your enemy is reformed, punished or let free without punishment, in spite of not being reformed. Indeed sometimes, your enemy is let free without punishment, even though the enemy has not yet reformed. This happens in the case of a retaliatory sin. This means that you had harmed the person in the past, in this birth or in the previous birth and the person has only harmed you in return. But if your enemy harms you for the first time, he or she will be given a chance to reform. If the person does not reform, then the person will be punished suitably by God.

Punishment is also a means to reformation, but reformation through punishment is only a temporary reformation. So, when you wish for God to punish your enemy, you are wishing your enemy well since you are wishing for the person’s immediate temporary reformation. With this understanding, you can pray to God to punish your enemy, if, based on a proper analysis, the enemy is found to have done some injustice. You should not pray to God to punish your enemy with an attitude of revenge. If you seek revenge, you too will be punished like Draupadi, who always prayed to Krishna to destroy the Kauravas for the sake of her revenge. Krishna had decided already to punish the Kauravas, even if Draupadi had not prayed to Him. It would have been a black mark on His divine administration, if the Kauravas had not been punished. So, the Kauravas were destroyed in the war, as per the will of Krishna. But due to Draupadi’s deep attitude of revenge, all her five sons got killed too.

Sages have followed the procedure of punishing sinners for their temporary reformation and hence, they are considered to be the most sacred in the whole of humanity. They have the power of knowing the whole internal biodata of any soul, through their divine vision. They need not depend on God like us. We do not have such divine vision and we do not know whether the case is that of a fresh sin or a sin in return for a previous sin. Hence, we should leave everything to God. Sages immediately come to know whether the case is fresh or not. If it is a fresh case, they immediately curse the sinner.

By punishing the sinner through their curse, they carry out God’s task of reforming the sinful soul. It is a form of divine service. We cannot do such divine service since we lack that divine vision as well as the power to curse someone. But a human being can also find out whether the case is fresh or not, through observation. If God punishes the sinner sometime later, it means that the case was fresh and the sinner did not get reformed during the time given by God. If the sinner does not get punished by God, in spite of not being reformed, we can conclude that it was the case of a sin committed in return for a previous sin. But we must be patient and observe the person over a long time, especially when the sinner has committed a sin against us. If the sinner gets punished, we need not punish the sinner again because one crime cannot have two punishments, as per the divine law.
Moreover, God is omniscient and the sage also has divine vision. So, when any of them punish a person, they always punish in the correct measure, in proportion to the sin. When we are capable of punishing the sinner and we punish based on our limited knowledge, there is a risk of error. If the sinner has committed a sin in return, actually no punishment is due. Even if it is a fresh case of sin, we might not give the punishment that is exactly suitable to the extent of the sin. Our analysis and judgment especially go wrong in our personal case, i.e. when we have been harmed.

When others have been harmed, we generally do not get involved because we feel that it is an unnecessary waste of our time. In fact, we should avoid getting involved in our personal cases. We should leave the judgment and punishment to God since there is high probability of error due to our biased analysis. But we should get involved in others’ cases, where there is a high probability that our analysis might be correct since we do not have any selfish interest in it. We should not leave others’ cases to God. By siding with justice in others’ cases, we are trying to serve God. God always works to establish justice and destroy injustice.

Sometimes, you have sufficient strength to protect justice and punish sin, but you do not have sufficient strength in analyzing the case and differentiating between justice and injustice. In that case, you must take the help of a Satguru or guru in the analysis. If you are capable of analysis, but not capable of protecting justice and punishing injustice, you should take the help of a strong person who is capable of doing so. If you are capable of doing both, you can do both, but it is better to take the help of a second person, in order to avoid any possible error.

Arjuna wanted to fight against the Kauravas because they had taken his rightful share of the kingdom and were refusing to return it. It was a personal case of Arjuna, where he had been harmed by the sinful Kauravas. If the Kauravas had simply stood against him in battle, there would have been no confusion in fighting against them. But good people like Bhīṣma and Droṇa also stood against Arjuna, in support of the Kauravas. Both Bhīṣma and Droṇa were his preachers since childhood. So, Arjuna must have felt that they were more capable of analyzing which side was justice and which side was injustice. This created confusion in Arjuna’s mind and he proposed to leave the war. But Arjuna took the help of the Satguru, God Krishna, in analyzing this case, which was his personal case.

God Krishna analyzed the case wonderfully and answered all the questions of Arjuna. Bhīṣma and Droṇa might have been great in all other aspects, but, in this context, both were wrong in supporting the unjust Kauravas. Hence, the most important task is carrying out an unbiased analysis to find the truth. Once this is done, the actual corrective action takes very very little time. Even if some corrective actions take a longer time, it is not a major loss. It will take some time, but in the end, justice will be protected and injustice will be condemned. An ordinary human being should only follow the right means in order to achieve good ends. Only a Human Incarnation of God is capable of achieving good ends even through wrong means. Human beings should not try to behave like the Human Incarnation in following the wrong means to punish their enemies.

Let us take the two cases of Sugrīva and God Rāma. Sugrīva was unjustly expelled from his kingdom by his elder brother Vāli, who misunderstood his brother Sugrīva. Sugrīva was not strong enough to oppose Vāli and so, he left the kingdom. Since it was the personal case of Sugrīva, his analysis might have gone wrong under the influence of his own selfishness. But when Sugrīva explained his case to God Rāma, Rāma decided that justice was on the side of Sugrīva and that Vāli had been unjust. God Rāma was the Human Incarnation of God and hence, was the perfect Satguru. When one is incapable of punishing the sinner in one’s personal case, one should first analyze the case with the help of the Satguru and find out which side justice lies. Then, the incapable victim should wait for the action of God to punish the sinner. This is one context in which I have said that one should leave the punishment of the sinner to God. This approach strictly belongs to this context alone.

Now, take the case of Rāma, who was capable of carrying out an unbiased analysis of justice and injustice in His own case, as well as in others’ cases. Getting justice for Sugrīva was another’s case for Rāma, while punishing Rāvaṇa and freeing His captured wife from him was His personal case. In the former case, Rāma decided that Vāli was a sinner and punished him. Rāma was God and was not only capable of analysis, but also of punishing sin. Vāli blamed Rāma that Rāma had shot the fatal arrow at Vāli since Sugrīva had promised to help Rāma in getting Sītā back. So, Vāli claimed that Rāma’s judgment was biased and that He had a selfish interest in siding with Sugrīva and punishing Vāli.

It was a totally false claim since God Rāma alone was fully capable and did not actually require anyone’s help in solving His own case. He immediately got involved in the case of bringing justice to Sugrīva and killed Vāli because He was omniscient and knew which side justice lay. He was totally impartial in His analysis. He was also omnipotent to punish anybody in creation. If one is like Rāma, capable of impartial analysis to determine the side of justice and also capable of punishing the sinner, one can act immediately, whether it is a personal case or the case of another person. This approach of immediately punishing the sinners in one’s personal case or in another’s case, is related only to this specific context. The approach and context are like the front and back sides of a coin. The coin is the action taken for the sake of the establishment of justice and the destruction of injustice. You should never apply one approach to the other context.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

The idea of delayed gratification, be it the afterlife in paradise or gods meting out retribution at a later time, was a way in antiquity for the few powerful elites to placate the multitude of the rabble to prevent revolution and the overthrow of the leadership.
Elephant

Post by Elephant »

Scott wrote: March 19th, 2008, 11:19 pm
Like anybody, I may succumb to emotions in the heat of the moment (which is almost always regrettable), but I generally do not support vengeance and instead choose compassion. But I want to know what arguments you have against vengeance.
This is an old thread and I'm sure that the good answers have already been given. So, I'm just posting because I want to say something.

I also do not believe in vengeance. I would not waste my time plotting the best revenge against people. But it doesn't mean I would have compassion for some of the wrongdoers -- molesters, abusers, and con artists do not deserve my compassion. The way I deal with the feeling of vengeance is to avoid being in a situation where you're overcome with vengeful ideas. Remove yourself from the environment that fosters evil in people. I don't care whether it's your own family, your coworkers/employers, or your neighborhood. Just get out of it a soon as possible. We could literally live an 'uneventful', drama-free life if we take precautions. So, prevention is the key.
Hungry
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Elephant wrote: November 13th, 2022, 2:11 pm
Scott wrote: March 19th, 2008, 11:19 pm
This is an old thread and I'm sure that the good answers have already been given. So, I'm just posting because I want to say something.

I also do not believe in vengeance. I would not waste my time plotting the best revenge against people. But it doesn't mean I would have compassion for some of the wrongdoers -- molesters, abusers, and con artists do not deserve my compassion. The way I deal with the feeling of vengeance is to avoid being in a situation where you're overcome with vengeful ideas. Remove yourself from the environment that fosters evil in people. I don't care whether it's your own family, your coworkers/employers, or your neighborhood. Just get out of it a soon as possible. We could literally live an 'uneventful', drama-free life if we take precautions. So, prevention is the key.
While it is true that folks can manage their statistical risk of hostile interactions, it is an error to suppose that everyone can manage that risk to zero.
Elephant

Post by Elephant »

LuckyR wrote: November 13th, 2022, 3:11 pm
While it is true that folks can manage their statistical risk of hostile interactions, it is an error to suppose that everyone can manage that risk to zero.
True. I understand that this often is not easy. You are at a disadvantaged if you are in a situation that fosters vengeful emotions if you cannot leave.

So, here my answer against vengeance is, it would not teach the offender to be compassionate towards you, and your vengeful actions against them would be seen as "wrong", so no good ending to this story unless you're prepared to die or go to jail. The Chinese has a saying about revenge -- vengeance is digging two graves at once. The only thing you can do is continue to live well.
Hungry

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream