How do you feel about vengeance?

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Re: How do you feel about vengeance?

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Pattern-chaser wrote: April 26th, 2023, 10:20 am Yes, it is, that's why I oppose vengeance. It achieves nothing except making me the same as the offender. We don't want or need "negative consequences" — vengeance by another name; euphemism — we need protective action, and we probably need to call it that, so that we are clear about what we mean.

If an offender cannot be trusted to walk our streets freely without doing some sort of harm to their fellow citizens, then that person cannot be allowed to intermingle with the rest of us. They must be separated or segregated from the rest of the community: protective action. We cannot un-kill the person they killed, but we can make sure they can't kill anyone else. Positive action; protective action; vengeance would add nothing useful or productive to this.
LuckyR wrote: April 26th, 2023, 1:27 pm Your comments sound great to read online, but don't square with common (accepted) human behavior. Say someone at the office takes credit for work you did. You could bring this up to your manager, but you make the accurate calculation that you will lose more through appearing
"petty" than you will gain from getting credit for your efforts. Let's say later you are in a position to choose the next project leader, your antagonist is slightly better qualified to get the position, but there are other reasonable candidates. No one will second guess your decision. You can respond by 1) doing literally nothing (pretend it didn't happen) and promote your antagonist 2) pass over your antagonist specifically based on what they did to you before.

What do you do? Which do you think most folks would choose?

Do you dispute the psychological reality that wrong doers who have literally no consequences for performing a negative act have a higher chance of repeating that act than if they suffer a negative consequence?
I was aiming, in my comments, at the more extreme offences, like murder. But your comments remind me that the same sort of thinking also applies to lesser misdemeanours too. I think, and hope, that my sentiments apply as well to those too.

The problem with these minor offences is that they are not serious enough for most of us to want laws to control such behaviours. In the case of murder, we have a 'contract' with our fellows that we don't take vigilante action (personal vengeance), that our police will deal with it. There is no such system in place for minor offences, and perhaps there shouldn't be. So we're looking for some sort of social agreement, an informal social 'contract', to oppose such behaviours informally and socially. I don't know how successful that might prove to be, in practice. 🤔
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Pattern-chaser wrote: April 27th, 2023, 10:55 am
Pattern-chaser wrote: April 26th, 2023, 10:20 am Yes, it is, that's why I oppose vengeance. It achieves nothing except making me the same as the offender. We don't want or need "negative consequences" — vengeance by another name; euphemism — we need protective action, and we probably need to call it that, so that we are clear about what we mean.

If an offender cannot be trusted to walk our streets freely without doing some sort of harm to their fellow citizens, then that person cannot be allowed to intermingle with the rest of us. They must be separated or segregated from the rest of the community: protective action. We cannot un-kill the person they killed, but we can make sure they can't kill anyone else. Positive action; protective action; vengeance would add nothing useful or productive to this.
LuckyR wrote: April 26th, 2023, 1:27 pm Your comments sound great to read online, but don't square with common (accepted) human behavior. Say someone at the office takes credit for work you did. You could bring this up to your manager, but you make the accurate calculation that you will lose more through appearing
"petty" than you will gain from getting credit for your efforts. Let's say later you are in a position to choose the next project leader, your antagonist is slightly better qualified to get the position, but there are other reasonable candidates. No one will second guess your decision. You can respond by 1) doing literally nothing (pretend it didn't happen) and promote your antagonist 2) pass over your antagonist specifically based on what they did to you before.

What do you do? Which do you think most folks would choose?

Do you dispute the psychological reality that wrong doers who have literally no consequences for performing a negative act have a higher chance of repeating that act than if they suffer a negative consequence?
I was aiming, in my comments, at the more extreme offences, like murder. But your comments remind me that the same sort of thinking also applies to lesser misdemeanours too. I think, and hope, that my sentiments apply as well to those too.

The problem with these minor offences is that they are not serious enough for most of us to want laws to control such behaviours. In the case of murder, we have a 'contract' with our fellows that we don't take vigilante action (personal vengeance), that our police will deal with it. There is no such system in place for minor offences, and perhaps there shouldn't be. So we're looking for some sort of social agreement, an informal social 'contract', to oppose such behaviours informally and socially. I don't know how successful that might prove to be, in practice. 🤔
I agree 100% with your observations yet disagree completely with your conclusion. Yes, we agree that vengeance has no role when there is a justice system to address wrongdoing. We also agree that lesser concerns commonly don't have a formal justice system and shouldn't involve the justice system. But my take is: these minor episodes of wrongdoing provide situations which are precisely what vengeance is designed to address, namely provide justice in situations where there is no other source of justice. Otherwise, in your view major crimes get justice and minor issues escape justice.
"As usual... it depends."
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

LuckyR wrote: April 28th, 2023, 2:55 am But my take is: these minor episodes of wrongdoing provide situations which are precisely what vengeance is designed to address, namely provide justice in situations where there is no other source of justice.
Vengeance is "designed"? 🤔 I think quite differently, that vengeance is a biologically- or genetically-codified knee-jerk response. "You've hurt me, so now I will hurt you back!" In many instances, a brief period of calm reflection gives rise to a different response. When you say that vengeance is "designed", you give the impression that it is a skill or ability, that has a constructive role to fulfil. With that, I disagree strongly; I see vengeance as more of an immature and inefficient way of dealing with things we find undesirable. Other ways are more constructive — they (sometimes) allow for a solution that actually fixes something that was wrong, not simply beating seven shades of 💩 out of the bastard that harmed you, which rarely achieves anything worthwhile.

LuckyR wrote: April 28th, 2023, 2:55 am Otherwise, in your view major crimes get justice and minor issues escape justice.
No, minor issues deserve justice too; I thought my previous post made that clear?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Pattern-chaser wrote: April 28th, 2023, 9:40 am
LuckyR wrote: April 28th, 2023, 2:55 am But my take is: these minor episodes of wrongdoing provide situations which are precisely what vengeance is designed to address, namely provide justice in situations where there is no other source of justice.
Vengeance is "designed"? 🤔 I think quite differently, that vengeance is a biologically- or genetically-codified knee-jerk response. "You've hurt me, so now I will hurt you back!" In many instances, a brief period of calm reflection gives rise to a different response. When you say that vengeance is "designed", you give the impression that it is a skill or ability, that has a constructive role to fulfil. With that, I disagree strongly; I see vengeance as more of an immature and inefficient way of dealing with things we find undesirable. Other ways are more constructive — they (sometimes) allow for a solution that actually fixes something that was wrong, not simply beating seven shades of 💩 out of the bastard that harmed you, which rarely achieves anything worthwhile.

LuckyR wrote: April 28th, 2023, 2:55 am Otherwise, in your view major crimes get justice and minor issues escape justice.
No, minor issues deserve justice too; I thought my previous post made that clear?
Unclear. Mostly because you didn't answer either of the two questions I asked you directly as to your solution to the office problem.

Otherwise I wouldn't get too obsessive with the use of single word descriptions like "designed". Though I do support providing justice (as a non-member of the justice system), in areas where the justice system is absent. So it is part of my "design". I realise most prefer not to have justice in settings where a justice system does not work. Dif'rent strokes...
Leontiskos
Favorite Philosopher: Aristotle and Aquinas

Post by Leontiskos »

LuckyR wrote: April 28th, 2023, 2:55 amI agree 100% with your observations yet disagree completely with your conclusion. Yes, we agree that vengeance has no role when there is a justice system to address wrongdoing. We also agree that lesser concerns commonly don't have a formal justice system and shouldn't involve the justice system. But my take is: these minor episodes of wrongdoing provide situations which are precisely what vengeance is designed to address, namely provide justice in situations where there is no other source of justice. Otherwise, in your view major crimes get justice and minor issues escape justice.
I generally agree with this, even though I do not agree with the consequentialist account of justice which the conversation is premised upon.

In these conversations it is very important to have a good definition of "vengeance." For example, it strikes me as odd to say that "vengeance has no role when there is a justice system to address wrongdoing." This is because when the justice system is addressing wrongdoing it is at the same time meting out vengeance. If vengeance means something like "returning evil for evil" then justice systems as well as individuals mete out vengeance. Probably what you meant by "vengeance" in that quote was vigilante justice.

Vengeance is an important part of a functioning society, even in the private sphere. There are even more mundane examples than choosing the next project leader. Honking your horn when someone cuts you off is (very often) a form of vengeance.
Expressing disgust when someone farts is a form of vengeance. Laughing when someone does something foolhardy is a form of vengeance.

In reality there is a good kind of vengeance and a bad kind of vengeance; a good kind of revenge and a bad kind of revenge. But everyone wants it to be black and white, and so they say, "No vengeance!" or "No revenge!" There is some weird moral conditioning in place in America with respect to things like moral claims, retribution, altruism, etc. In my opinion it stems from the heterodox forms of Christianity which have always dominated this country.
Wrestling with Philosophy since 456 BC

Socrates: He's like that, Hippias, not refined. He's garbage, he cares about nothing but the truth.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

LuckyR wrote: April 28th, 2023, 6:26 pm Unclear. Mostly because you didn't answer either of the two questions I asked you directly as to your solution to the office problem.
OK...
LuckyR wrote: April 26th, 2023, 1:27 pm Say someone at the office takes credit for work you did. You could bring this up to your manager, but you make the accurate calculation that you will lose more through appearing "petty" than you will gain from getting credit for your efforts. Let's say later you are in a position to choose the next project leader, your antagonist is slightly better qualified to get the position, but there are other reasonable candidates. No one will second guess your decision. You can respond by 1) doing literally nothing (pretend it didn't happen) and promote your antagonist 2) pass over your antagonist specifically based on what they did to you before.

What do you do?
Which do you think most folks would choose?
I answered thus:
Pattern-chaser wrote: April 27th, 2023, 10:55 am The problem with these minor offences is that they are not serious enough for most of us to want laws to control such behaviours. In the case of murder, we have a 'contract' with our fellows that we don't take vigilante action (personal vengeance), that our police will deal with it. There is no such system in place for minor offences, and perhaps there shouldn't be. So we're looking for some sort of social agreement, an informal social 'contract', to oppose such behaviours informally and socially. I don't know how successful that might prove to be, in practice. 🤔
So my answer is that I don't think we have a practical answer.

If faced by a practical problem such as you describe, my entire life is a history of how to get it badly wrong. [This bears heavily on my being an autist, but let's not get sidetracked by that.]

I think most folks would choose brutal revenge, but I don't agree with their approach. Wisdom can sometimes flow from consensus, but there are occasions where one might choose to set aside the consensus, in favour of something ... 'better'? 🤔

LuckyR wrote: April 26th, 2023, 1:27 pm Do you dispute the psychological reality that wrong doers who have literally no consequences for performing a negative act have a higher chance of repeating that act than if they suffer a negative consequence?
Hmm. IMO, wrong doers who experience no consequences for performing a negative act have a higher chance of repeating that act than if they suffer a restorative, preventative or protective consequence, as I have described in previous posts. I do not support "no consequence"; it seems to offer nothing constructive, positive or useful.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Leontiskos wrote: April 29th, 2023, 12:08 am
LuckyR wrote: April 28th, 2023, 2:55 amI agree 100% with your observations yet disagree completely with your conclusion. Yes, we agree that vengeance has no role when there is a justice system to address wrongdoing. We also agree that lesser concerns commonly don't have a formal justice system and shouldn't involve the justice system. But my take is: these minor episodes of wrongdoing provide situations which are precisely what vengeance is designed to address, namely provide justice in situations where there is no other source of justice. Otherwise, in your view major crimes get justice and minor issues escape justice.
I generally agree with this, even though I do not agree with the consequentialist account of justice which the conversation is premised upon.

In these conversations it is very important to have a good definition of "vengeance." For example, it strikes me as odd to say that "vengeance has no role when there is a justice system to address wrongdoing." This is because when the justice system is addressing wrongdoing it is at the same time meting out vengeance. If vengeance means something like "returning evil for evil" then justice systems as well as individuals mete out vengeance. Probably what you meant by "vengeance" in that quote was vigilante justice.

Vengeance is an important part of a functioning society, even in the private sphere. There are even more mundane examples than choosing the next project leader. Honking your horn when someone cuts you off is (very often) a form of vengeance.
Expressing disgust when someone farts is a form of vengeance. Laughing when someone does something foolhardy is a form of vengeance.

In reality there is a good kind of vengeance and a bad kind of vengeance; a good kind of revenge and a bad kind of revenge. But everyone wants it to be black and white, and so they say, "No vengeance!" or "No revenge!" There is some weird moral conditioning in place in America with respect to things like moral claims, retribution, altruism, etc. In my opinion it stems from the heterodox forms of Christianity which have always dominated this country.
Several things.

Firstly, yes, in this rather lengthy thread "vengeance" is being used to describe personal vengeance or "vigilante justice". Though that is the common usage of the term, so I've not seen any confusion over this.

Therefore while the government's justice system does use vengeance, it's not covered by this thread.

My stance has been to point out that personal vengeance or vigilante justice has a useful behavior modification role where there is no formal justice presence since wrongdoing in the absence of consequences begets more wrongdoing. The pattern becomes ingrained.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Pattern-chaser wrote: April 29th, 2023, 10:58 am
LuckyR wrote: April 28th, 2023, 6:26 pm Unclear. Mostly because you didn't answer either of the two questions I asked you directly as to your solution to the office problem.
OK...
LuckyR wrote: April 26th, 2023, 1:27 pm Say someone at the office takes credit for work you did. You could bring this up to your manager, but you make the accurate calculation that you will lose more through appearing "petty" than you will gain from getting credit for your efforts. Let's say later you are in a position to choose the next project leader, your antagonist is slightly better qualified to get the position, but there are other reasonable candidates. No one will second guess your decision. You can respond by 1) doing literally nothing (pretend it didn't happen) and promote your antagonist 2) pass over your antagonist specifically based on what they did to you before.

What do you do?
Which do you think most folks would choose?
I answered thus:
Pattern-chaser wrote: April 27th, 2023, 10:55 am The problem with these minor offences is that they are not serious enough for most of us to want laws to control such behaviours. In the case of murder, we have a 'contract' with our fellows that we don't take vigilante action (personal vengeance), that our police will deal with it. There is no such system in place for minor offences, and perhaps there shouldn't be. So we're looking for some sort of social agreement, an informal social 'contract', to oppose such behaviours informally and socially. I don't know how successful that might prove to be, in practice. 🤔
So my answer is that I don't think we have a practical answer.

If faced by a practical problem such as you describe, my entire life is a history of how to get it badly wrong. [This bears heavily on my being an autist, but let's not get sidetracked by that.]

I think most folks would choose brutal revenge, but I don't agree with their approach. Wisdom can sometimes flow from consensus, but there are occasions where one might choose to set aside the consensus, in favour of something ... 'better'? 🤔

LuckyR wrote: April 26th, 2023, 1:27 pm Do you dispute the psychological reality that wrong doers who have literally no consequences for performing a negative act have a higher chance of repeating that act than if they suffer a negative consequence?
Hmm. IMO, wrong doers who experience no consequences for performing a negative act have a higher chance of repeating that act than if they suffer a restorative, preventative or protective consequence, as I have described in previous posts. I do not support "no consequence"; it seems to offer nothing constructive, positive or useful.
If I understand your red reply, what you're saying is that you have historically done #2, but that your believe that #2 is nonetheless "wrong".

As to what most people do, we are in agreement that most choose #2. Though this is a good place to note that folks commonly describe #1 as the wrongdoer "getting away with it". Obviously this descriptor can be viewed as a rationalization to post hoc justify the "wrong" choice (turn the other cheek and all that). Though I can't find anything inaccurate in the "getting away with it" comment.

I would have less trouble with the "do nothing" strategy if time stood still after the original event since my motivation is to maximize the chance of an optimal future. Thus why I commonly choose your ignore it and do nothing tactic when interacting with people who I will never see again.
Leontiskos

Post by Leontiskos »

LuckyR wrote: April 29th, 2023, 5:22 pm

Several things.

Firstly, yes, in this rather lengthy thread "vengeance" is being used to describe personal vengeance or "vigilante justice". Though that is the common usage of the term, so I've not seen any confusion over this.

Therefore while the government's justice system does use vengeance, it's not covered by this thread.

My stance has been to point out that personal vengeance or vigilante justice has a useful behavior modification role where there is no formal justice presence since wrongdoing in the absence of consequences begets more wrongdoing. The pattern becomes ingrained.
Right, I understand all that. But the problem is that when people redefine vengeance to mean "personal vengeance" or "excessive revenge" they end up omitting from their lexicon any words that represent legitimate retributive justice, and this is why there is so much confusion in this area. Besides this, modern political philosophy does not make strong distinctions between individual and state, and therefore the obvious question arises, "Why can the state resort to vengeance but the individual cannot?" Or, "Why can the state return evil for evil but the individual cannot?" These lexical omissions eventually lead to conceptual ignorance and ultimately to anarchy, for if the notion of retributive justice is per se evil then it is no more acceptable on a state level than on an individual level (and all other state prerogatives also collapse). ...So I don't think you can just bracket the fuller meaning of vengeance in favor of a purely personal or pejorative meaning. This is what leads to the problems in the first place.

Socrates: He's like that, Hippias, not refined. He's garbage, he cares about nothing but the truth.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

LuckyR wrote: April 29th, 2023, 5:39 pm If I understand your red reply, what you're saying is that you have historically done #2, but that you believe that #2 is nonetheless "wrong".
No. What I meant was that my own handling of such situations was ineffective. It did not achieve any aim that I might have had. My social skills are such that, once I have deployed them, I usually find they have moved me in the opposite direction to the one I intended. It's not that I tried vengeance, and found that it did or didn't work. It's that I was badly ineffective in such arenas, always. To attempt vengeance, have it backfire, and then suffer the reprisals that vengeance provokes among the might-means-right majority, is a very effective way of learning not to pursue vengeance. I learned that lesson very early in life.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Leontiskos wrote: April 29th, 2023, 7:05 pm
LuckyR wrote: April 29th, 2023, 5:22 pm

Several things.

Right, I understand all that. But the problem is that when people redefine vengeance to mean "personal vengeance" or "excessive revenge" they end up omitting from their lexicon any words that represent legitimate retributive justice, and this is why there is so much confusion in this area. Besides this, modern political philosophy does not make strong distinctions between individual and state, and therefore the obvious question arises, "Why can the state resort to vengeance but the individual cannot?" Or, "Why can the state return evil for evil but the individual cannot?" These lexical omissions eventually lead to conceptual ignorance and ultimately to anarchy, for if the notion of retributive justice is per se evil then it is no more acceptable on a state level than on an individual level (and all other state prerogatives also collapse). ...So I don't think you can just bracket the fuller meaning of vengeance in favor of a purely personal or pejorative meaning. This is what leads to the problems in the first place.
I agree, though in common usage, governments "dispense justice" which is considered a positive and individuals "exact revenge" which is considered a negative. Of course both are practicing vengeance as you noted and there are numerous examples of positive and negative events in both. Thus why I have been arguing uphill in this thread since there is a presupposition in the community that personal vengeance is inherently negative. Even though that is a gross oversimplification, to the point of being erroneous.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

LuckyR wrote: May 1st, 2023, 6:54 pm ...there is a presupposition in the community that personal vengeance is inherently negative. Even though that is a gross oversimplification, to the point of being erroneous.
I have said a few times that personal or judicial vengeance is pointless and not constructive, as opposed to outright "negative". A simple pragmatic perspective notes the existence of more constructive approaches than vengeance, and recommends them because they offer possible benefits that vengeance does not.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Pattern-chaser wrote: May 2nd, 2023, 9:38 am
LuckyR wrote: May 1st, 2023, 6:54 pm ...there is a presupposition in the community that personal vengeance is inherently negative. Even though that is a gross oversimplification, to the point of being erroneous.
I have said a few times that personal or judicial vengeance is pointless and not constructive, as opposed to outright "negative". A simple pragmatic perspective notes the existence of more constructive approaches than vengeance, and recommends them because they offer possible benefits that vengeance does not.
Yes, you as an individual have addressed the concept of vengeance regardless of the source, though the majority of the thread has specifically commented on personal vengeance.
Leontiskos

Post by Leontiskos »

LuckyR wrote: May 1st, 2023, 6:54 pm
Leontiskos wrote: April 29th, 2023, 7:05 pmRight, I understand all that. But the problem is that when people redefine vengeance to mean "personal vengeance" or "excessive revenge" they end up omitting from their lexicon any words that represent legitimate retributive justice, and this is why there is so much confusion in this area. Besides this, modern political philosophy does not make strong distinctions between individual and state, and therefore the obvious question arises, "Why can the state resort to vengeance but the individual cannot?" Or, "Why can the state return evil for evil but the individual cannot?" These lexical omissions eventually lead to conceptual ignorance and ultimately to anarchy, for if the notion of retributive justice is per se evil then it is no more acceptable on a state level than on an individual level (and all other state prerogatives also collapse). ...So I don't think you can just bracket the fuller meaning of vengeance in favor of a purely personal or pejorative meaning. This is what leads to the problems in the first place.
I agree, though in common usage, governments "dispense justice" which is considered a positive and individuals "exact revenge" which is considered a negative. Of course both are practicing vengeance as you noted and there are numerous examples of positive and negative events in both. Thus why I have been arguing uphill in this thread since there is a presupposition in the community that personal vengeance is inherently negative. Even though that is a gross oversimplification, to the point of being erroneous.
Yes, I agree with your angle in this thread. Sorry if I was unclear; I meant to agree all along (with the exception of that consequentialism bit).

Mounce574
Premium Member

Post by Mounce574 »

LuckyR wrote: April 20th, 2023, 7:44 pm
Mounce574 wrote: April 20th, 2023, 5:48 pm I don't think you can actually achieve true vengeance. You cannot 1-up a person not can you make them feel like you did in the moment that they caused you harm. That person can only experience remorse/guilt, be happy they benefited from their actions, or nothing at all.
So with those three options, if you seek vengeance you still won't make them feel what you did. I follow the Bible Scripture Romans 12:19-21
Avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord. Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head.
Also Deuteronomy 32:35-Vengeance is Mine, and recompense; Their foot shall slip in due time; For the day of their calamity is at hand, And the things to come hasten upon them.’
Several things:

First, you don't make clear what your personal definition of "true vengeance" is, but whatever it is, based on your second sentence, it is not a commonly held one.

Second, based on your red comment, most who seek vengeance (obviously not you) are trying to accomplish different goals than what you suppose.

Lastly, your plan of awaiting justice until the afterlife is the ultimate delayed gratification. Very few can do that in Real Life and stay emotionally sound. If you can actually pull that off you are in a small minority. I'll be the first to admit I don't do that.
Vengeance or revenge is a person taking it upon themself to exact a punishment for the person who offended them. Most people who are a victim of a crime want the offender to feel the pain that they felt or worse. But there are people who have no remorse.
Example: If I stole something from you, how would you seek vengeance?
"Facts don't care about your feelings." Ben Shapiro
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it." NF from Motto

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream