Are anger, discompassion and hatred symptoms of weakness?

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
3017Metaphysician

Re: Are anger, discompassion and hatred symptoms of weakness?

Post by 3017Metaphysician »

Scott wrote: March 23rd, 2008, 10:51 am [The following topic is featured as a leadup to the May philosophy book of the month discussion of Holding Fire.]

Do you think that anger, discompassion and hatred are usually symptoms of weakness? Why or why not?

If you know of any psychological studies into the matter, please post here about them.

Generally speaking, I think that anger, discompassion and hatred are signs of weakness and/or the self-perception of weakness.

Namely, I think people get frustrated by their own weakness, which makes them angry, discompassionate, and hateful and makes them more likely to resort to violence and other primitive and brutish techniques (not as a form of defense but as a means of offensive attack and control). When a person is socially weak, I believe the person will likely compensate by using the brutish techniques associated with anger, discompassion, and hatred.

Additionally, people who believe themselves to be weak will tend to have an inferiority complex, which is notorious for often resulting in excessive aggressiveness as a form of overcompensation, such as in the clichéd case of most schoolyard bullies.

In another example, consider the crazy "school shooters" who go to schools to shoot wildly at their classmates and usually kill themselves. Wouldn't you say that that extreme example of vengeful anger, discompassion, and hatred is a sign of severe weakness and the pathological self-perception of weakness.

In another example, if you back an animal into a corner, making it feel scared and weak, it will lash out violently and erratically, which in humans would be called anger, discompassion, or hatred.

In contrast, wouldn't you say that compassion is generally a sign of strength and clearheadedness? I would. Martin Luther King Jr. is one of the strongest historical figures I can think of, and I believe he is a great example of how genuine strength enables a person to act on their love and to influence society without resorting to the destructive use of offensive violence and judgmental vengeance associated with anger, discompassion and hatred?

What do you think?
Yes. Generally, it is a sign of weakness. I think it relates to ignorance. Some folk don't know any better. It is exacerbated by an exaggerated self-worth (ego).

On the other hand, as in eastern philosophy or the principles of unity and opposites (antinomy), it is quite normal to use emotions as driving forces to effect one's own Will for alternative action or behavior. Practically speaking, when closed doors happen, one can be depressed, angry, frustrated, et al. But those emotions fuel the fire for an alternative resolution. It seems when the effects are negative (like violence), that it becomes a sign of ignorance or weakness.

It's kind of like saying someone killed my brother, so I'm going to retaliate and kill them. Relative to the human condition, we see this a lot. It takes on many forms, some obvious and some not so obvious, and we see it in all walks of life. Politics is one example. Some politics is not only parent-child, but child-child. This dynamic, and the effects it produces, is a kind of interminable process that seemingly can never be satisfied...

Sad but true. Negative energy can feed on itself. Kind of like cynicism. Self-awareness is key. Which in a way reminds me of Spock in some sense, LOL:

“Concerning matter, we have been all wrong. What we have called matter is energy, whose vibration has been so lowered as to be perceptible to the senses. There is no matter.” "Spooky Action at a Distance"
― Albert Einstein
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

Scott wrote: March 23rd, 2008, 10:51 am [The following topic is featured as a leadup to the May philosophy book of the month discussion of Holding Fire.]

Do you think that anger, discompassion and hatred are usually symptoms of weakness? Why or why not?

If you know of any psychological studies into the matter, please post here about them.

Generally speaking, I think that anger, discompassion and hatred are signs of weakness and/or the self-perception of weakness.

Namely, I think people get frustrated by their own weakness, which makes them angry, discompassionate, and hateful and makes them more likely to resort to violence and other primitive and brutish techniques (not as a form of defense but as a means of offensive attack and control). When a person is socially weak, I believe the person will likely compensate by using the brutish techniques associated with anger, discompassion, and hatred.

Additionally, people who believe themselves to be weak will tend to have an inferiority complex, which is notorious for often resulting in excessive aggressiveness as a form of overcompensation, such as in the clichéd case of most schoolyard bullies.

In another example, consider the crazy "school shooters" who go to schools to shoot wildly at their classmates and usually kill themselves. Wouldn't you say that that extreme example of vengeful anger, discompassion, and hatred is a sign of severe weakness and the pathological self-perception of weakness.

In another example, if you back an animal into a corner, making it feel scared and weak, it will lash out violently and erratically, which in humans would be called anger, discompassion, or hatred.

In contrast, wouldn't you say that compassion is generally a sign of strength and clearheadedness? I would. Martin Luther King Jr. is one of the strongest historical figures I can think of, and I believe he is a great example of how genuine strength enables a person to act on their love and to influence society without resorting to the destructive use of offensive violence and judgmental vengeance associated with anger, discompassion and hatred?

What do you think?
With anger it can be appropriate at times, but spiral out of control sometimes. It is such a strong emotion based on the physiological aspects of being, both as instinctual drives of sentience and as human forms of coping, involving fight and flight and other biochemical aspects.

If anger is unchecked, which probably involves a response to it, this can lead to many forms of behaviour, which if acted upon can be regretted as a form of weakness. As human beings, weakness, involving action not based on reflective awareness can be problematic and may require the learned art of self-mastery. This may be a difficult art, involving ongoing learning.

At it's best it may involve the channelling of emotions, including anger, so that such emotions may work in a positive way for one's own wellbeing and that of others. It may sound simple but many conflicts, including relationships and even politics may involve difficulties in this, and the way in which what appear as negative emotions may be channelled in a positive way. Perhaps, individuals like Martin Luther King, may serve as useful role models for understanding the intricate and delicate dance and interplay of raw emotions, including the negative aspects, which may be transmuted, in relation to the better side of human nature.

But, the experience of anger may need to be felt and grasped in understanding as a starting point for any transformational possibilities. It may involve a stepping back of experiencing the emotion as opposed to being dragged by it into action through lack of acknowledgement of the force of anger, and it's most explosive possibilities. Jung spoke of as the shadow, involving lack of integration of the opposites within the personality, which may come into play in the many conflicts and dramas of human relationships and battles of politics, values and ideas.
rainchild

Post by rainchild »

This question is actually three questions:

Is anger a sign of weakness?
Is discompassion a sign of weakness?
Is hatred a sign of weakness?

What is more, the answers to each of these questions will vary with the scale and nature of the metric of strength.

one: In a hand-to-hand fight between two combatants, anger can be a sign of weakness, since it increases adrenaline, an excess of which makes a fighter incautious and physically shaky, and therefore all the more likely to be overpowered by a disciplined and well-trained fighter who keeps his cool.

On the other hand, anger on the part of the masses can sometimes unseat even the most oppressive dictatorships. Witness Romania, Iran. Revolution doesn't always succeed, and can result in a more oppressive new regime, but the anger that motivates it is hardly a sign of weakness.

two: Discompassion isn't a sign of weakness in any context that I know of; it is often characteristic of strength combined with lack of scruples. A killer is all the more likely to succeed on account of his lack of compassion. The Nazis were not weakened by their lack of compassion either.

three For an individual, hatred can be debilitating in the long run. It is not so much a sign of weakness as a cause of weakness. For a society, chronic hatred, for example, racial bigotry, can cause internal conflict within the society that makes the society weaker.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Anger is the result of feeling injured. Hatred is the result of being fearful of. Dis-compassion is a failure to identify with another, or a symptom of a psychopathic state. Weakness is being ill adapted to one's environment in one or more aspects.
Xenophon

Post by Xenophon »

Actually love of one's enemy, refusal to take offense, and unconditional love are all symptomatic of cultural decay. "A good follower is good fodder," to paraphrase what passes for morality today. The only creature that can afford passivity is one behind a strong wall ("a gated community.") The rest are on borrowed time. Watch the daily news and stop virtue-posturing in front of that full-length mirror.
"Mankind has no destiny. Only some men do: to recover lost divinity."---Miguel Serrano

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream