Right versus Wrong

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
Et_tu_Brute

Post by Et_tu_Brute »

nameless wrote:
Et_tu_Brute wrote:Now that the nuisance has given up, ...
Don't be a little prick, son..
I've just given up on you!
Exactly. Name calling, how mature. Furthermore, "son"? How do you know my gender?
Belinda
Premium Member

Post by Belinda »

Et Tu Brute wrote:"Well, what else would you call believing that nobody has choices and what was meant to happen will happen? Call it what you will, you're talking fantasy."

nameless can speak for themself. There is a difference between fate and determinism. Fate is a superstitious sub-section of determinism.

Doesn't any discussion of ethics or morality turn on criteria? The Golden Rule is a criterion. Pleasure is another. Ends don't justify means is another.Ending suffering is another criterion. Freedom or justice is a clash of criteria. Harmony with what is inevitable is another. Do moral criteria come from God, from outwith humanity, or from human reason and experience?

If one can justify one's criteria one would be on a strong base, but criteria are basic, and are usually a matter of faith.

I may change my mind and feeling about what I take to be basically a matter of faith, and I think it's best that way, because faith that is held against new evidence is fanaticism which is usually irrational and can lead to death. A favourite criterion is buried in my statement, that is, does it favour life or does it favour death?
Et_tu_Brute

Post by Et_tu_Brute »

Yes, that is true. If a choice or action favors more lives than it does deaths, then I suppose it would be usually categorized as a "good" choice. After all, it is usually considered that life is a good thing, no matter what eventually comes of it.

The fact of the matter is, it is very difficult if not impossible to accurately label the choices and actions of others. If you're lucky, you barely know yourself well enough to decide why you made the choices you did, and hopefully why you will continue to make choices that benefit others' well being. After all, it is useless to be able to say what decisions you made were "right" if you don't use that knowledge to help you make good choices in the future.
Belinda
Premium Member

Post by Belinda »

I agree that choices that benefit others' well-being are good choices. One cannot benefit others's well-being unless one is strong enough to do so in some way however slight. If I am trying to be good I will try to see what the other needs and supply it if I can.This is because when I am good I empathise with the other. One of the bases of goodness is therefore empathy, by which I mean feeling as if I am in the shoes of the other.I cannot do this unless I know how the other feels.In order to know how the other feels I have to have been there myself either personally or through some art form such as good reportage, novels, screen plays, or pictures.

Et Tu Brute wrote:
To use abortion as an example: is it good to allow life to be given the chance to succeed? Most people would say yes. However, what if the family is much too poor to support another child, let alone the cost there is in having the child birthed? If letting that one kid live in time kills that kid's entire family, as well as himself/herself, is it "good"? I would say no, it's beneficial for the well being of the family as well as the child that it not be born.
This illustrates how empathy is not enough. Perhaps the parents-to-be are Catholics who would be extremely unhappy with the prospect of abortion. In helping the parents-to-be to make a good choice they should understand the full range of choices. This can only happen if the parents-to-be have received an education that allows them to consider evidence and ideas in a rational way. If morality has been imposed on the parents-to-be by an authoritarian religion the ethics of which are based on dogma, and the parents-to-be are unable to make a free decision based on both sympathy for others concerned, including the foetus, then they may make a bad choice because not a rational choice.

Rationality and sympathy the two roots of morality. These are best fostered by liberal education, other things such as secure parenting, adequate food and shelter and freedom from pain being equal.
Et_tu_Brute

Post by Et_tu_Brute »

Belinda wrote: Rationality and sympathy the two roots of morality. These are best fostered by liberal education, other things such as secure parenting, adequate food and shelter and freedom from pain being equal.
However, these things are never equal. There will never be a occurrence when the exact same thing happens to different people are different times. There are too many variables to take into effect (economy, wealth, the morality of those people by which they base their choices, etc.).

This is exactly why there cannot be a standard for deciding which choice to make when the circumstances will never repeat themselves. There will need to be an exception for every single situation, making these rules essentially useless.

It is impossible to be able to completely understand the thought and decision-making processes of another individual. People need to stop spreading their attention too thin and worry about their own actions.
JohnNelson23

Post by JohnNelson23 »

Although, as Et_tu_Brute said, the conditions vary for each individual, there is a basic foundation of right and wrong that we can establish if we are speaking in generalities. There are customs, codes, and rules that each community-a country, state, town, family or even your own conscience-follows. These laws and such differ from culture to culture, but usually murder is universally accepted as bad and protecting life as good. But what happens when those duties conflict with each other? That's when decisions crosses into the gray area, and the community has to decide whether the greater good is worth the misdeed.

Since each situation is different and each individuals perspective on the situation is different, all variables must be considered before deeming it right or wrong. And whether it be right for the greater good, the town, or just yourself, the pros and cons should me weighed before a decision is reached. Laws shouldn't be adamant, they should be flexible to deal with complex scenarios that requires adaptions.

Empathy is the reason in previous wars each side has attempted to demonize the enemy, so they seem less human, and so our soldiers are not able to empathize their plight. How can you kill a man if you know that he has a family back home? If empathy existed in soldiers minds during a battle, they could not help but imagine that it was their family losing him, and ruthlessly decisive choices in battle would be impossible.

Belinda does have a point that rationality and logic serve important roles in making the right choice. Adam and Eve could eat from any tree in the Garden of Eden, but of course Eve went for the tree of knowledge, where she could know good from evil, right from wrong. Was she right to eat of the tree? Would we exist in blissful ignorance were it not for the cunning snake? Or would've that ignorance allowed us to commit ghastly atrocities without a complaint from our conscience? Did we lose innocence or gain empathy?

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream