Is abortion wrong?

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
Samantha Barnes 3
Premium Member

Re: Is abortion wrong?

Post by Samantha Barnes 3 »

LuckyR wrote: January 27th, 2023, 1:11 pm
Samantha Barnes 3 wrote: January 27th, 2023, 9:28 am Abortion is not wrong to a certain point. Some studies have shown that fetuses develop a consciousness after 3 or 4 months. If a fetus has developed consciousness, it would be wrong to abort it because it is aware of its surroundings.
Is taking away an adult's autonomy wrong?
Yes, it is also wrong to take away an adult's autonomy. That could also be viewed as a different issue. Abortion is wrong after a certain point, but it is still right for the decision of abortion to be left with the person carrying the fetus. Whether they choose to abort or not is up to them, and no one should be able to take that freedom from them. However, an adult's right to autonomy does not diminish the consciousness of the fetus. The adult carrying the fetus should have the right to choose, but that does not always make the action they choose right. Like I have the freedom to punch a stranger in the face, but just because I can does not mean that it is right.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

I'd like to see very good care for every pregnant woman and her foetus, continuing the care long after the baby is born, until the child becomes an adult, then a welfare state cares for the adults.

The pregnant woman needs to be offered every care as she gives birth, very good care for herself and her baby which includes good housing, protection from danger, good food, work opportunity, child care when she needs it, care of the baby's siblings, and good education for the child and siblings until tertiary level when possible. In other words it is immoral for a state not to provide for any woman and her children from before birth until the child is a fully functioning adult.
If these benefits were available there would be few demands for elective abortion.
Tara D Morgan
Premium Member

Re:

Post by Tara D Morgan »

marytk179 wrote: October 25th, 2007, 9:14 pm I think it is wrong. If you have sex there is the possibility you will have a baby and if you are not capible of either putting the child up for adoption or raising it, then you don't need to be having sex.
And if you are raped, you can put it up for adoption.
I mean its basically murder isn't it, in another forum there were people upset about the killing of animals, wouldn't the killing of an innocent baby be astronomically worse.
I read this bumper sticker the other day that said

"If its not a baby then your not pregnant"
It just made me think.

It just sounds wrong to me, I'd like to hear other peoples input though.
I take it you have never been raped? If you had been violated in that way and then found out you were pregnant, would it be easy for you to say " Never mind that I am pregnant by my rapist. I can have the baby then put it up for adoption, then move on with life and forget about it all." I'd love to meet the woman who is able to do this. I think the person who has been raped should be able to choose what she does with her own body. She had no choice in the father or whether she wanted to be pregnant. Is it better to get rid of the baby and try and come to terms with what happened? Or give the baby up for adoption and have felt violated for an extra 9 months? I think whatever the woman wants to do should be supported wholeheartedly personally.
Bertha Jackson
Premium Member

Post by Bertha Jackson »

I believe abortion is a private matter for the woman and man involved. I would never judge a woman who was raped and then found out she was carrying a rapist's child. Myself, I would have the baby and possibly give it up for adoption, but this is not something every woman can do. Other factors that would need to be considered are the mental and physical health of the woman involved. Should a man be involved in my decision? No, it is my body and my life that are going to be affected the most. However, if you are a married couple, and this is your spouse's child, then yes, he should have some say in the decision as long as you are healthy enough to have the child.
Stoppelmann
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Alan Watts

Re: Re:

Post by Stoppelmann »

Tara D Morgan wrote: January 28th, 2023, 7:45 pm I take it you have never been raped? If you had been violated in that way and then found out you were pregnant, would it be easy for you to say " Never mind that I am pregnant by my rapist. I can have the baby then put it up for adoption, then move on with life and forget about it all." I'd love to meet the woman who is able to do this. I think the person who has been raped should be able to choose what she does with her own body. She had no choice in the father or whether she wanted to be pregnant. Is it better to get rid of the baby and try and come to terms with what happened? Or give the baby up for adoption and have felt violated for an extra 9 months? I think whatever the woman wants to do should be supported wholeheartedly personally.
The pain of rape, both physical and emotional, is not something that many can understand, especially not men, but also women who have never been in the situation fail sometimes to connect. Sometimes it is a feeling of resentment, especially if you have had miscarriages, or have difficulty getting pregnant, and are frustrated with that urge, that desire to be a mother, and see that a foetus is about to be "terminated" as they say. Sometimes it is just the thought of a helpless life being taken.

But I think that ideally, we should want life to flourish, but that means no rape and no abortion. So obviously, we are not in a perfect world, and for that reason alone, we must be patient with each other, and add the next foetus to be aborted among the huge number of atrocities that we were unable to prevent. Above all, we need to mourn our situation, whether the destitute mother in desperation, the brutally oppressed women, the starving children, the child soldiers, the men crying in the trenches of war, or the sick and the dying.
“Find someone who makes you realise three things:
One, that home is not a place, but a feeling.
Two, that time is not measured by a clock, but by moments.
And three, that heartbeats are not heard, but felt and shared.”
― Abhysheq Shukla
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Bertha Jackson wrote: January 28th, 2023, 8:31 pm I believe abortion is a private matter for the woman and man involved. I would never judge a woman who was raped and then found out she was carrying a rapist's child. Myself, I would have the baby and possibly give it up for adoption, but this is not something every woman can do. Other factors that would need to be considered are the mental and physical health of the woman involved. Should a man be involved in my decision? No, it is my body and my life that are going to be affected the most. However, if you are a married couple, and this is your spouse's child, then yes, he should have some say in the decision as long as you are healthy enough to have the child.
An excellent description of autonomy, whose removal I personally think is more "wrong" than abortion.
"As usual... it depends."
Carter Blunt

Post by Carter Blunt »

Is abortion wrong?
No, it's not erroneous.

Is it okay?
Don't know how to ask it.

Yes, I'm a troll.

I honestly wouldn't care if you abort the entire human race out of existence, I'm more concerned with the living beings that are already here. Veganism first, then I'll worry about abortion. I don't take anyone seriously who values a zygote over a fully developed individual.

The only problem I have with pro-choice, is the ones who wanted to take away other people's choice to refuse experimental vaccines, without losing their livelihood.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Carter Blunt wrote: February 18th, 2023, 10:09 am Is abortion wrong?
No, it's not erroneous.

Is it okay?
Don't know how to ask it.

Yes, I'm a troll.

I honestly wouldn't care if you abort the entire human race out of existence, I'm more concerned with the living beings that are already here. Veganism first, then I'll worry about abortion. I don't take anyone seriously who values a zygote over a fully developed individual.

The only problem I have with pro-choice, is the ones who wanted to take away other people's choice to refuse experimental vaccines, without losing their livelihood.
Just to clarify, you believe business owners shouldn't be able to choose the rules that govern employment within their business?
Carter Blunt

Post by Carter Blunt »

LuckyR wrote: February 19th, 2023, 1:40 pm Just to clarify, you believe business owners shouldn't be able to choose the rules that govern employment within their business?
Should they be able to force them to get tattoos or a microchip, or take drugs, or get an abortion? No.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Carter Blunt wrote: February 19th, 2023, 6:05 pm
LuckyR wrote: February 19th, 2023, 1:40 pm Just to clarify, you believe business owners shouldn't be able to choose the rules that govern employment within their business?
Should they be able to force them to get tattoos or a microchip, or take drugs, or get an abortion? No.
Your use of the word "force" baffles me. You're acting like folks have a right to employment with a particular employer. That's not the case.
Carter Blunt

Post by Carter Blunt »

And I disagree that I should have to sign my life over to an employer. What I do off the job is my own business, and what I put in my body is my own business. The idea that I should either be a guinea pig, or go hungry, is flat out unacceptable.
Carter Blunt

Post by Carter Blunt »

To be clear, I'm not against requirements for tested, proven vaccines. I'm against government mandated FORCE to take EXPERIMENTAL vaccines. And I'm against employers coercing those under their authority to risk their health.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Carter Blunt wrote: February 21st, 2023, 9:54 am And I disagree that I should have to sign my life over to an employer. What I do off the job is my own business, and what I put in my body is my own business. The idea that I should either be a guinea pig, or go hungry, is flat out unacceptable.
That might make sense if there was only one employer. Yet there isn't.

You act as if working on the job doesn't entail taking on risk to oneself. Taking on health risks while working is routine, always has been, always will be.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Carter Blunt wrote: February 21st, 2023, 10:10 am To be clear, I'm not against requirements for tested, proven vaccines. I'm against government mandated FORCE to take EXPERIMENTAL vaccines. And I'm against employers coercing those under their authority to risk their health.
Your use of the word "coerce" is not standard, every job has certain expectations to be employed. Every worker has the right to decide they don't want to subscribe to those expectations. Thus no-one is "coerced".
Carter Blunt

Post by Carter Blunt »

LuckyR wrote: February 21st, 2023, 7:56 pm Your use of the word "coerce" is not standard, every job has certain expectations to be employed.
That's not coercion, that's just called "the job description". If you hire someone to test jump parachutes and they don't want to wash the dishes for you, tough luck.

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream