Is abortion wrong?

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
LuckyR

Re: Is abortion wrong?

Post by LuckyR »

rose-30 wrote: March 6th, 2022, 9:44 am
LuckyR wrote: March 5th, 2022, 3:54 am
rose-30 wrote: March 4th, 2022, 9:41 pm I think that I soon as we start having sexual relations we know that there is a risk of getting pregnant. Therefore, it is our responsibility to face the consequences of our actions. When you get into a car and don't buckle your seatbelt, you crash and get injured. You are judged as guilty. Because you were responsible for the choice that you made by not protecting yourself.
However, even if you wear your seatbelt, you know that there is an 80/90% chance that you can get into a car accident. Because it is a fact.

So, at the end of the day, if you choose to have sexual relationships, you should face the consequences of that decision. Sex is not a hobby, it's the only way to create life. And we all know that, so how can you be surprised and want to kill the baby because it was an "accident"?

There are no such things as having a baby by accident. An accident happened to you when you did not do anything about it (I accidentally fell from the stairs). YOU choose to have sex, it's a choice, it's not an accident. Even if you don't plan a baby, you planned to have sex and the baby is just the proven result of that choice.

Finally, for rape. I think that it is much more complex BUT I still think that we should first think about the baby because unfortunately, the baby can't take his own decision. So if he/she is here, a human shouldn't be the person to decide his/her destiny. If you can't have the baby, there is adoption. But at least, you give him/her the chance to exist and (potentially) be great!

My mom had me when she was 16. You can call it an "accident" I call it stupid. My grandma wanted her to abort, BUT, here I am. I love my life. And I'm happy that she let me have an opportunity to live this life.
Several things. Early in your comments you make a big deal about choosing to have sex and the consequences of that choice. Later in the rape section (an area without choice) you gloss over what you had previously made such a big deal about. Thus your "reasoning" sounds more like rationalizations to fit the pre-determined conclusion you finally reveal the source of in your last paragraph.

Understandable but far from a coherent argument.
I made it a big deal because it is a big deal. People don't realize it since they can call it "an accident". But if you are raped it's different and obviously is not your choice. But it's also not the fault of the baby and I don't think it's our decision to take his/her life.
A not unreasonable, if minority opinion. As I mentioned you describe a coherent and understandable (to me) rationale for it. Though any discussion on this topic that does not acknowledge that it involves conflicting, legitimate "rights", is somewhere between incomplete and misleading.
"As usual... it depends."
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

I see no reason to reward rapists by propagating their genes.

We make the decision to take lives constantly. Every health budget effectively condemns some to death. Every war. Every budget cut. Every meal stems from deaths for which we are responsible. Life is harsh and every one of us kills to live because the society on which we depend kills very, very freely.

The deaths of unwanted foetuses is less tragic than most deaths. It has no mind, with a consciousness far less cohered than the animals we happily kill and eat without even a moment's thought. Abortions are suboptimal, but so is killing animals to eat or killing pest animals. Life itself is suboptimal and, ideally, deaths are inflicted on those with the least to lose.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Sy Borg wrote: March 6th, 2022, 4:43 pm I see no reason to reward rapists by propagating their genes.

We make the decision to take lives constantly. Every health budget effectively condemns some to death. Every war. Every budget cut. Every meal stems from deaths for which we are responsible. Life is harsh and every one of us kills to live because the society on which we depend kills very, very freely.

The deaths of unwanted foetuses is less tragic than most deaths. It has no mind, with a consciousness far less cohered than the animals we happily kill and eat without even a moment's thought. Abortions are suboptimal, but so is killing animals to eat or killing pest animals. Life itself is suboptimal and, ideally, deaths are inflicted on those with the least to lose.
The "we're all going to die, it's just a timing issue", observation is, of course valid. Though few concentrate on it in the moment.

Having said that, your first line is a phrasing I have not seen before, and I follow this issue very closely. Kudos to you.
"As usual... it depends."
Consul

Post by Consul »

Copied from another thread:
Sy Borg wrote: June 8th, 2022, 9:31 pmIt's very basic. Do people have a right to do what they will with their own bodies or must the state maintain control that as well? The latter is authoritarianism.
QUOTE>
"We hear it argued that a woman has the right to abort her unborn baby because she has a right to choose what happens to her own body. This is a bad argument. First, it begs the question: an opponent will insist that the fetus is not part of the mother’s body—it is someone else’s body that happens to be inside hers. The case is not like the organs of the mother’s body, which really are parts of her body. It is easy to imagine an intelligent conscious being living inside the body of a human: this would not be simply a part of the host’s body over which he or she has complete dominion. Second, the fetus is quite unlike the organs of the mother’s body in that it can be removed without causing harm to the mother—it isn’t part of her normal physiological functioning. Third, there is no absolute right to do with one’s body whatever one chooses to do: a mother could not choose to have all her limbs amputated because of some bizarre religious belief given that this would disable her from performing her maternal duties—she needs to stay able-bodied in order to raise her children. Fourth, if the fetus were part of the mother’s body, it would still be so when removed from it—just like any other part of her body. But no one argues that infanticide is morally permissible because the child is an erstwhile part of the mother’s body: she doesn’t have to right to do with this removed part whatever she chooses. The logic of bodily part-hood is completely different from the logic that governs the relation between a mother and her child, whether born or unborn. Is it to be supposed that the baby was once a part of her body but at birth ceases to be a part of her body? No, it was once inside her and now it is outside her: but that isn’t the same as once being a part and now not being a part (like a removed appendix). The rhetoric of “my body, my choice” is conceptually flawed, and only leads opponents of abortion to think that nothing better can be said to address their concerns. After all, the fetus remains inside the mother for nine months, but surely no one thinks that for this entire time there is no moral question about whether abortion is acceptable. Yet this “argument” is trotted out all the time as a defense of the legitimacy of abortion."

Colin McGinn: Abortion and the Body
<QUOTE
"We may philosophize well or ill, but we must philosophize." – Wilfrid Sellars
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

The foetus is physically part of the mother until it is born.

Not that babies don't become conscious until birth (and then, only in a very simple way) and even then, their self image is a combination of mother and baby.
GE Morton

Post by GE Morton »

Consul wrote: June 8th, 2022, 10:20 pm
"We hear it argued that a woman has the right to abort her unborn baby because she has a right to choose what happens to her own body. This is a bad argument. First, it begs the question: an opponent will insist that the fetus is not part of the mother’s body—it is someone else’s body that happens to be inside hers.
Well, that itself if a bad argument. While it's true that a fetus is not part of the mother's body, the "right to choose what happens to her own body" embraces not only the right to its parts, but the right to decide to what uses it will be put, including hosting and nurturing another being. So the fetus not being part of her body does not refute the "right to her body" argument. The classic examination of that issue is J. J. Thomson's:

https://spot.colorado.edu/~heathwoo/Phi ... homson.htm
Third, there is no absolute right to do with one’s body whatever one chooses to do: a mother could not choose to have all her limbs amputated because of some bizarre religious belief given that this would disable her from performing her maternal duties—she needs to stay able-bodied in order to raise her children.
If she has children she does have a duty to provide for them. But she can fulfill that duty in other ways, such as placing them for adoption. As long as that obligation is met she has a perfect right to amputate her limbs, or commit suicide.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

A foetus is connected to the mother via placenta. A pregnant woman is one organism, unless you believe that her eggs are not part of her either. No, a woman's eggs - fertilised or not - are a part of her until they are not.

Abortion is 100% about patriarchal control of women via their bodies. I have no time for feminism and even I can see this fact as plain as day, it's so blatant. It's simply one more chapter in an ancient power struggle between males and females that long predates humans.

It can't be about harming sentient beings because a foetus lives in a vague dream state until its is born, while many animals that "pro-lifers" eat without the slightest thought are just as sentient as the children they drop off at kindergarten.
GE Morton

Post by GE Morton »

Sy Borg wrote: June 8th, 2022, 10:58 pm A foetus is connected to the mother via placenta.
Thomson's violinist is connected to the donor via an IV tube. That doesn't make him part of her body.
It can't be about harming sentient beings because a foetus lives in a vague dream state until its is born, while many animals that "pro-lifers" eat without the slightest thought are just as sentient as the children they drop off at kindergarten.
Now you're zeroing in on a valid argument.
Consul

Post by Consul »

Sy Borg wrote: June 8th, 2022, 10:58 pm A foetus is connected to the mother via placenta. A pregnant woman is one organism, unless you believe that her eggs are not part of her either. No, a woman's eggs - fertilised or not - are a part of her until they are not.

Abortion is 100% about patriarchal control of women via their bodies. I have no time for feminism and even I can see this fact as plain as day, it's so blatant. It's simply one more chapter in an ancient power struggle between males and females that long predates humans.
First of all, I myself am not an anti-abortionist.

McGinn's point doesn't seem to be that abortion is morally wrong, but that the "my body, my choice!" argument is a bad argument for its not being morally wrong.

Connection is not the same as parthood, so that "a foetus is connected to the mother via placenta" doesn't necessarily mean that it is part of its mother's body. A foetus is an organism itself rather than just an organ of another organism.
Note that being inside something isn't the same as being part of it either!
Consul

Post by Consul »

Another interesting line of reasoning by McGinn: Driving and Abortion
Consul

Post by Consul »

McGinn isn't an anti-abortionist either.

"Abortion, clearly, is a serious matter, not to be undertaken lightly. It is certainly no substitute for contraception. It is, I have suggested, morally acceptable to abort early, but very strong reason is needed to justify late abortion."

(McGinn, Colin. Moral Literacy, or How To Do The Right Thing. Indianapolis, IN: Hackett, 1992. p. 39)
Consul

Post by Consul »

Sy Borg wrote: June 8th, 2022, 10:43 pmThe foetus is physically part of the mother until it is born.
Again, that the foetus is physically connected to and physiologically dependent on the mother doesn't necessarily mean that it is part of her body.
Sy Borg wrote: June 8th, 2022, 10:43 pmNot that babies don't become conscious until birth (and then, only in a very simple way) and even then, their self image is a combination of mother and baby.
If consciousness means phenomenal consciousness (= subjective experience/sentience), then babies do become conscious before birth. What foetuses and born babies lack is personal self-consciousness.
Consul

Post by Consul »

Consul wrote: June 9th, 2022, 12:16 amAgain, that the foetus is physically connected to and physiologically dependent on the mother doesn't necessarily mean that it is part of her body.
For example, when you are under general anesthesia, you are physically connected to and physiologically dependent on a medical ventilator; but the machine isn't part of your body.
Consul

Post by Consul »

GE Morton wrote: June 8th, 2022, 10:52 pm Well, that itself if a bad argument. While it's true that a fetus is not part of the mother's body, the "right to choose what happens to her own body" embraces not only the right to its parts, but the right to decide to what uses it will be put, including hosting and nurturing another being. So the fetus not being part of her body does not refute the "right to her body" argument.
But it invalidates that kind of "right to her body" argument according to which abortion is permissible because an embryo/fetus is a body part of its mother.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

This is ultimately just rearranging with words. There is a grey area between a foetus being the same organism and a separate one. At what point is it separate? Fertilisation? Gastrulation? The first primitive brain stem? These are all rather arbitrary, although a better argument could be made for when a foetus can be viable without the mother, although this is also somewhat arbitrary, due to differences in the availability of humidicrib technology.

It's just fiddling around the edges, given that all agree that abortion of at least non-viable foetuses should be legal and safe. If people don't agonise over pigs, cows and sheep, then it's not rational for them to agonise over a non-sentient foetus - except for the pregnant woman and SOs. It is entirely their private business - or should be.

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream