Is abortion wrong?

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
Belindi

Re: Is abortion wrong?

Post by Belindi »

LuckyR wrote: August 28th, 2020, 1:08 am
Belindi wrote: August 24th, 2020, 5:29 am

Medics are part scientist and part artist/communicator. Notwithstanding the artist/communicator component modern medicine is scientific ; it is metaphysically based upon brain-mind as dual aspects of the same. And so with particular reference to foetal sentience the foetus suffers only in accordance with the development of those bits of the brain stem and 'old brain' that have to do with sentience. Moreover foetuses, like Robert Burns's mouse, know nothing of conceptualising hopes and fears, as every concept is learned from the culture.
There is a difference between being exposed to knowledge and believing in knowledge. The learned are more likely to trust scientific information, but it is far from universal.
I'm having difficulty picturing which 'learned' men have this difficulty. So far I can picture only 'eastern' sages sitting on mountains like the one in Black Narcissus.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Belindi wrote: August 28th, 2020, 4:25 am
LuckyR wrote: August 28th, 2020, 1:08 am

There is a difference between being exposed to knowledge and believing in knowledge. The learned are more likely to trust scientific information, but it is far from universal.
I'm having difficulty picturing which 'learned' men have this difficulty. So far I can picture only 'eastern' sages sitting on mountains like the one in Black Narcissus.
Perhaps you are familiar with Medical Doctors who "believe" in hydrochloroqine as virus treatment?
"As usual... it depends."
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

LuckyR wrote: August 28th, 2020, 1:36 pm
Belindi wrote: August 28th, 2020, 4:25 am
Perhaps you are familiar with Medical Doctors who "believe" in hydrochloroqine as virus treatment?
No, I never heard of them. All right, Lucky, I believe you. 'Learned ' is not what I'd call people who have been through professional training and acquired knowledge but not sound judgement.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Belindi wrote: August 28th, 2020, 1:49 pm
LuckyR wrote: August 28th, 2020, 1:36 pm

No, I never heard of them. All right, Lucky, I believe you. 'Learned ' is not what I'd call people who have been through professional training and acquired knowledge but not sound judgement.
I don't disagree with you.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

LuckyR wrote: August 28th, 2020, 1:08 amThe learned are more likely to trust scientific information ...
Funny thing when you think about "scientific information" and the controversy around it.

Using scientific information is ultimately just asking around to find out what other people think. That simply trying to find out what's going on by referring to what others have observed has somehow become controversial is bizarre to me.

Logically, if someone does not want you checking a situation out in detail, they will be seeking to fool, dominate or manipulate you.
GrayArea

Post by GrayArea »

I believe that abortion is wrong.

But I believe what's more wrong is preventing human beings from making either the right or the wrong choice.

The element of choice is more important than life itself, not because freedom prevails over life concept-wise(it's the other way around), but because our choices are what makes the world go, and at the end of the day that is more important than life. Because at the end, the only thing that matters is what happens—not what "should" happen. And because we have control over what happens. The baby inside the mother's body cannot stop the mother from abortion, while the mother can abort the baby if she feels like so.

To argue what should or should not be the case is pointless in my opinion, so I think that the choices we should make is essentially the choices that we can end up making.
People perceive gray and argue about whether it's black or white.
GrayArea

Post by GrayArea »

GrayArea wrote: March 2nd, 2022, 3:19 am
I believe that abortion is wrong.

But I believe what's more wrong is preventing human beings from making either the right or the wrong choice.

The element of choice is more important than life itself, not because freedom prevails over life concept-wise(it's the other way around), but because our choices are what makes the world go, and at the end of the day that is more important than life. Because at the end, the only thing that matters is what happens—not what "should" happen. And because we have control over what happens. The baby inside the mother's body cannot stop the mother from abortion, while the mother can abort the baby if she feels like so.

To argue what should or should not be the case is pointless in my opinion, so I think that the choices we should make is essentially the choices that we can end up making.
I know this thread has been inactive for about a year and a half, but I still feel the need to clarify some of my statements.
When I say that the fact that what makes the world go is more important than life, I mean that the fact that "something happens" is more important than life, because life is merely one of the many things that also "happen"—its subset, so to speak.

Not to mention that the baby's life itself does not and can not physically stop the mother from aborting them.
GrayArea

Post by GrayArea »

Sculptor1 wrote: July 18th, 2020, 6:17 pm
Wdk7 wrote: July 18th, 2020, 5:04 pm
Sculptor1 wrote: July 18th, 2020, 4:23 pm
You are missing the key difference between a foetus and a child. If you are not preapared to recognise that difference then it is pointless taking a discussion with you.
I just acknolleged the diffrence. Your falling to demonstrate to me why that difference justifies different treatment. Being inside a woman's body does not prove to me that a woman has a right to kill you because from my perspective we are responsible to care for the life we create. Which again if you think she is not then I can see why you would find abortion acceptable.
A foetus is a paracistic blood clot, and can be an unwanted intrusion in the body of a woman that has had other plans. A life destroying intrusion.
A baby can also be considered in exactly the same way with the exception that it is capable of an extrasomatic existence.
To insist that a woman carries an unwanted foetus is a breach of her human rights. Foetuses are not people and have no rights.
Killing an already existing lifeform is immoral, and is a net negative. However, preventing life to be born in the first place can be immoral, too. But I believe the latter is more of a non-positive/neutral than an outright net negative. Simply a lack of both positive possibilities and negative possibilities. Or perhaps we only tell ourselves that, because going by this logic, we are continuously sinning every second that we spend preventing possibilities of life.

The fact that life is a significant/important thing in general is something that you also seem to agree on, given that you care about the human rights of already existing lifeforms, such as the mother who bears the child.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

GrayArea wrote: March 2nd, 2022, 3:19 am I believe that abortion is wrong.

If I understand you correctly your position is that abortion violates your personal moral code but you feel it is consistent with the ethical standards of the Modern western community.

If so, I don't disagree with you.
GrayArea

Post by GrayArea »

LuckyR wrote: March 2nd, 2022, 2:42 pm

If I understand you correctly your position is that abortion violates your personal moral code but you feel it is consistent with the ethical standards of the Modern western community.

Well, my position is more like "Abortion is wrong, but what's right or wrong does not matter in this situation, it's our choices that do and so prohibiting our choices is even more wrong".

It's that the things that determine the outcome of this situation should be more embraced than what the outcome should be.

One may ask, however, that if what's right or wrong does not matter, then prohibiting one's choices is also allowed. Yep, it is. But so is not prohibiting them. And while I stand by the latter because of my own moral codes or "how the outcome should be", I am well aware that at the end of the day it is less significant compared to the outcome itself, and that the outcome prevails over the morals.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

GrayArea wrote: March 2nd, 2022, 3:49 pm

Well, my position is more like "Abortion is wrong, but what's right or wrong does not matter in this situation, it's our choices that do and so prohibiting our choices is even more wrong".

It's that the things that determine the outcome of this situation should be more embraced than what the outcome should be.

One may ask, however, that if what's right or wrong does not matter, then prohibiting one's choices is also allowed. Yep, it is. But so is not prohibiting them. And while I stand by the latter because of my own moral codes or "how the outcome should be", I am well aware that at the end of the day it is less significant compared to the outcome itself, and that the outcome prevails over the morals.
So you would or would not criticize another who chose abortion?
GrayArea

Post by GrayArea »

LuckyR wrote: March 2nd, 2022, 8:41 pm
GrayArea wrote: March 2nd, 2022, 3:49 pm

So you would or would not criticize another who chose abortion?
I already did, when I said "I believe that abortion is wrong".

If I was a female and given a choice to abort, I wouldn't do it—but I am aware that I am not female and thus will not undergo the same experiences that women go through firsthand, so I am not completely sure on that part. Just a general idea I have.
rose-30
New Trial Member

Post by rose-30 »

I think that I soon as we start having sexual relations we know that there is a risk of getting pregnant. Therefore, it is our responsibility to face the consequences of our actions. When you get into a car and don't buckle your seatbelt, you crash and get injured. You are judged as guilty. Because you were responsible for the choice that you made by not protecting yourself.
However, even if you wear your seatbelt, you know that there is an 80/90% chance that you can get into a car accident. Because it is a fact.

So, at the end of the day, if you choose to have sexual relationships, you should face the consequences of that decision. Sex is not a hobby, it's the only way to create life. And we all know that, so how can you be surprised and want to kill the baby because it was an "accident"?

There are no such things as having a baby by accident. An accident happened to you when you did not do anything about it (I accidentally fell from the stairs). YOU choose to have sex, it's a choice, it's not an accident. Even if you don't plan a baby, you planned to have sex and the baby is just the proven result of that choice.

Finally, for rape. I think that it is much more complex BUT I still think that we should first think about the baby because unfortunately, the baby can't take his own decision. So if he/she is here, a human shouldn't be the person to decide his/her destiny. If you can't have the baby, there is adoption. But at least, you give him/her the chance to exist and (potentially) be great!

My mom had me when she was 16. You can call it an "accident" I call it stupid. My grandma wanted her to abort, BUT, here I am. I love my life. And I'm happy that she let me have an opportunity to live this life.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

rose-30 wrote: March 4th, 2022, 9:41 pm I think that I soon as we start having sexual relations we know that there is a risk of getting pregnant. Therefore, it is our responsibility to face the consequences of our actions. When you get into a car and don't buckle your seatbelt, you crash and get injured. You are judged as guilty. Because you were responsible for the choice that you made by not protecting yourself.
However, even if you wear your seatbelt, you know that there is an 80/90% chance that you can get into a car accident. Because it is a fact.

So, at the end of the day, if you choose to have sexual relationships, you should face the consequences of that decision. Sex is not a hobby, it's the only way to create life. And we all know that, so how can you be surprised and want to kill the baby because it was an "accident"?

There are no such things as having a baby by accident. An accident happened to you when you did not do anything about it (I accidentally fell from the stairs). YOU choose to have sex, it's a choice, it's not an accident. Even if you don't plan a baby, you planned to have sex and the baby is just the proven result of that choice.

Finally, for rape. I think that it is much more complex BUT I still think that we should first think about the baby because unfortunately, the baby can't take his own decision. So if he/she is here, a human shouldn't be the person to decide his/her destiny. If you can't have the baby, there is adoption. But at least, you give him/her the chance to exist and (potentially) be great!

My mom had me when she was 16. You can call it an "accident" I call it stupid. My grandma wanted her to abort, BUT, here I am. I love my life. And I'm happy that she let me have an opportunity to live this life.
Several things. Early in your comments you make a big deal about choosing to have sex and the consequences of that choice. Later in the rape section (an area without choice) you gloss over what you had previously made such a big deal about. Thus your "reasoning" sounds more like rationalizations to fit the pre-determined conclusion you finally reveal the source of in your last paragraph.

Understandable but far from a coherent argument.
rose-30
New Trial Member

Post by rose-30 »

LuckyR wrote: March 5th, 2022, 3:54 am
rose-30 wrote: March 4th, 2022, 9:41 pm I think that I soon as we start having sexual relations we know that there is a risk of getting pregnant. Therefore, it is our responsibility to face the consequences of our actions. When you get into a car and don't buckle your seatbelt, you crash and get injured. You are judged as guilty. Because you were responsible for the choice that you made by not protecting yourself.

Several things. Early in your comments you make a big deal about choosing to have sex and the consequences of that choice. Later in the rape section (an area without choice) you gloss over what you had previously made such a big deal about. Thus your "reasoning" sounds more like rationalizations to fit the pre-determined conclusion you finally reveal the source of in your last paragraph.

Understandable but far from a coherent argument.
I made it a big deal because it is a big deal. People don't realize it since they can call it "an accident". But if you are raped it's different and obviously is not your choice. But it's also not the fault of the baby and I don't think it's our decision to take his/her life.

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream