Is abortion wrong?

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
Belindi

Re: Is abortion wrong?

Post by Belindi » August 28th, 2020, 4:25 am

LuckyR wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 1:08 am
Belindi wrote:
August 24th, 2020, 5:29 am

Medics are part scientist and part artist/communicator. Notwithstanding the artist/communicator component modern medicine is scientific ; it is metaphysically based upon brain-mind as dual aspects of the same. And so with particular reference to foetal sentience the foetus suffers only in accordance with the development of those bits of the brain stem and 'old brain' that have to do with sentience. Moreover foetuses, like Robert Burns's mouse, know nothing of conceptualising hopes and fears, as every concept is learned from the culture.
There is a difference between being exposed to knowledge and believing in knowledge. The learned are more likely to trust scientific information, but it is far from universal.
I'm having difficulty picturing which 'learned' men have this difficulty. So far I can picture only 'eastern' sages sitting on mountains like the one in Black Narcissus.

LuckyR

Post by LuckyR » August 28th, 2020, 1:36 pm

Belindi wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 4:25 am
LuckyR wrote:

There is a difference between being exposed to knowledge and believing in knowledge. The learned are more likely to trust scientific information, but it is far from universal.
I'm having difficulty picturing which 'learned' men have this difficulty. So far I can picture only 'eastern' sages sitting on mountains like the one in Black Narcissus.
Perhaps you are familiar with Medical Doctors who "believe" in hydrochloroqine as virus treatment?
"As usual... it depends."

Belindi

Post by Belindi » August 28th, 2020, 1:49 pm

LuckyR wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 1:36 pm
Belindi wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 4:25 am

Perhaps you are familiar with Medical Doctors who "believe" in hydrochloroqine as virus treatment?
No, I never heard of them. All right, Lucky, I believe you. 'Learned ' is not what I'd call people who have been through professional training and acquired knowledge but not sound judgement.

LuckyR

Post by LuckyR » August 28th, 2020, 2:36 pm

Belindi wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 1:49 pm
LuckyR wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 1:36 pm

No, I never heard of them. All right, Lucky, I believe you. 'Learned ' is not what I'd call people who have been through professional training and acquired knowledge but not sound judgement.
I don't disagree with you.
"As usual... it depends."

Greta
Site Admin

Post by Greta » August 28th, 2020, 6:37 pm

LuckyR wrote:
The learned are more likely to trust scientific information ...
Funny thing when you think about "scientific information" and the controversy around it.

Using scientific information is ultimately just asking around to find out what other people think. That simply trying to find out what's going on by referring to what others have observed has somehow become controversial is bizarre to me.

Logically, if someone does not want you checking a situation out in detail, they will be seeking to fool, dominate or manipulate you.