All drugs should be legal

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
Greta
Site Admin

Re: All drugs should be legal

Post by Greta » June 21st, 2020, 8:10 pm

I doubt you'd get much sense out of them. Terrapin. It's emotional. Some people simply don't like smoking and want anything they dislike to be banned. This is exactly why I like philosophical thought - to get away from such unreason.

People don't like the smoke, the smell, the ash or the perceived character weakness ('I don't need smoking to get by so neither should anyone else'). Much of such objections appear to stem from the joy of self-righteous w@nking.

Jack DeFarge
New Trial Member

Post by Jack DeFarge » June 21st, 2020, 10:11 pm

I think that drugs and alcohol should be used in portions that suit us so we stay healthy. They should all be legal because we as humans would rationalise when to use them like for instance, medically or recreationally.

Steve3007
Favorite Philosopher: Eratosthenes of Cyrene

Post by Steve3007 » June 22nd, 2020, 3:03 am

Greta wrote:I would also add lack of interest in philosophical thinking.
That's an interesting thought. Tax breaks for philosophy discussion and for people who don't discuss philosophy but are willing to forgo future medical treatments that can be shown to have been necessitated by lack of philosophy discussion. :)

Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Post by Terrapin Station » June 22nd, 2020, 8:39 am

Greta wrote:
June 21st, 2020, 8:10 pm
I doubt you'd get much sense out of them. Terrapin. It's emotional. Some people simply don't like smoking and want anything they dislike to be banned. This is exactly why I like philosophical thought - to get away from such unreason.

People don't like the smoke, the smell, the ash or the perceived character weakness ('I don't need smoking to get by so neither should anyone else'). Much of such objections appear to stem from the joy of self-righteous w@nking.
I agree, and that's part of what the move I'm suggesting is designed to ferret out. It removes the problem that they're supposedly objecting to, so if that were really their problem with such things, they should simply respond, "Sure, I'd be fine with smoking in that case."

Steve3007
Favorite Philosopher: Eratosthenes of Cyrene

Post by Steve3007 » June 23rd, 2020, 7:59 am

Jack DeFarge wrote:I think that drugs and alcohol should be used in portions that suit us so we stay healthy.
I won't argue with that. If we decide to use them in different portions than those that are deemed to be healthy, should anybody other than the user do anything about it?
They should all be legal because we as humans would rationalise when to use them like for instance, medically or recreationally.
Do you have any thoughts on such things as taxation policy, which stop short of making things illegal but which attempt to have a causal influence on people's actions using financial incentives?