Is suicide immoral?

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
Renee
Favorite Philosopher: Frigyes Karinthy

Re: Is suicide immoral?

Post by Renee »

Platos stepchild wrote:You suggested that suicide is a genetic predisposition. But, clearly it must be passed down before taking affect. (Otherwise, such a predisposition would quickly be edited out of the genepool). It's unclear why this should be so. What guarantee is there that the carrier of a suicide gene would precreate before killing himself?
There is no guarantee. My grandfather had five issues; my uncle had none.

It is natural that it is unclear. It IS a random mutation.
Platos stepchild wrote:Note: I draw a distinction between genetically predisposed suicide, and altruism. Altruism is death-with-a-purpose, whereas suicide is just death.
That's exactly how I treated the matter; with a mutual understanding of my grampa's and uncle's suicides were not altruistic but genetically predisposed, due to a mutation.

-- Updated December 13th, 2016, 10:20 pm to add the following --
Platos stepchild wrote:Here's a question: I'm contemplating suicide because I'm futureless. But, I still have a natural aversion to death. I'm teetering with ambivalence. So, how do I overcome that aversion?
By developing a pain that overpowers the aversion. Much like a guy who has a tooth to be pulled, has an aversion to go to the dentist, but after the toothache becomes intolerable, he will go and visit the dentist.

Successful suicides have so much pain during life, that it helps them over the hurdle of the natural and very strong fear of death.
Ignorance is power.
Platos stepchild

Post by Platos stepchild »

My luck is worse and worse. I'm about there. No; **** it. I am there.
Ozymandias
Favorite Philosopher: Loren Eiseley

Post by Ozymandias »

Hey friend if you're there please talk to me, outside of philosophy. Or we can talk about philosophy to- but you're mistaken if you think death is the answer to anything- as we've said, death is death and there is nothing to be gained from nothing
Ozymandias
Favorite Philosopher: Loren Eiseley

Post by Ozymandias »

I'm not sure if my post here will get through soon since I'm still trial, but you sound totally serious about this stuff, Plato, and I'm asking you to take more time to think and talk about it.
Lucylu

Post by Lucylu »

Platos stepchild wrote:I want to rephrase the question, and instead ask is my suicide immoral.
Ah. Well, I think it depends on your dependants and responsibilities. The majority of us will have someone who would have to endure real grief when we die. So a good question is, have you ever experienced real grief, eg of losing a sibling, parent, child, best friend or partner? For me, whenever I have contemplated life and death, I have always hit a wall when I think of my mother sitting alone in her house, crying in grief. Losing a child must be the worst pain imaginable, and I just could not do that to her.

And then there are real dependants. Do you have any children? If so, I think that you have a responsibility to live for them at least until they are older and have a strong support network around them.

You also have to deal with the responsibility to yourself. Maybe this is not an 'I want to die' but an 'I don't want to live like this'. What is it in particular that you cant stand about living? I would suggest having a complete change of life first- Tell your friends and family you need time to yourself to reflect, cut out alcohol etc, travel the world if necessary and change your perspective. Do something completely out of the box. Get some adrenalin pumping through you.

It would be a shame if it was simply a wrong belief or a deep frustration that ended your life when the next chapter was going to be great? It is often 'darkest before the dawn' and as they say we 'have to hit rock bottom' before we change. This is cliche but was so true in my case. Maybe this is the point at which you suddenly realise what you want out of life and whats important to you. You can start over ie become an adult- truly taking responsibility for your own life and living 'on purpose', taking responsibility for your own behaviour/ decisions, admitting you were wrong? If you are blaming everyone and and everything else for your feelings then you will feel like s**t, and completely powerless.

What do you want out of life that you aren't getting now? Whats stopping you from wiping the slate clean, moving, deleting all your contacts, retraining and starting over?

In short, no. I don't think suicide is immoral, per se, but it can be irresponsible, selfish and a terrible waste.

Happy people don't commit suicide, and there is a train of thought that says happiness is a choice rather than a predisposition. I'm of two minds on the subject. I do appreciate that some people are almost pathologically miserable but I also believe that people change. Changing a core belief and taking responsibility for ourselves can make the world of difference.
Ozymandias wrote: Philosophical discussion is different from philosophical advice, though.
If you're looking for advice, I firmly believe that unless you're in a vegetative state or a medically confirmed state of permanent pain, suicide is more a question of wisdom than of morality or ethics, and if so, I absolutely think it is unwise. Principally, because life is almost always guaranteed to change, and often it is for the better.
Sage advice. Things do change. It is somehow very difficult to imagine that our feelings will change as we seem to have a predisposition for self righteousness and difficulty really planning for or seeing ourselves in the future. These things aid our short term survival in most cases but can also cause a great deal of emotional discomfort along the way.

-- Updated December 14th, 2016, 12:24 pm to add the following --
Platos stepchild wrote:
Here's a question: I'm contemplating suicide because I'm futureless.
There's your wrong belief. I bet you repeat that to yourself a thousand times a day.

N.B You wanted to have a real discussion about suicide, warts and all, but instead you've begun emotional blackmail of other posters by threatening to commit suicide and asking for tips. Maybe you get off on this aspect of it..the power over others, the drama etc?
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts". -Bertrand Russell
Platos stepchild

No drama, and no shock value intended. I wanted to simplify my despair; but, I really don't know how to do that. For anyone committing suicide, there's only one chance to get it right. I have no one else to ask, or to get advise from. If it seems macabre to ask such questions in a public forum, then I truly apologize. I'm new to this whole having-no-future thing.
Lucylu

Post by Lucylu »

Platos stepchild wrote:No drama, and no shock value intended. I wanted to simplify my despair; but, I really don't know how to do that. For anyone committing suicide, there's only one chance to get it right. I have no one else to ask, or to get advise from. If it seems macabre to ask such questions in a public forum, then I truly apologize. I'm new to this whole having-no-future thing.
Please expand on this 'having-no-future thing'?

And, do you think suicide is immoral?
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts". -Bertrand Russell
Grunth

Post by Grunth »

Platos stepchild wrote: I'm new to this whole having-no-future thing.
There is irony here. Having no future IS a future thing to have. One is imagining a future of no-future. So therefore you do have a future-thing.
Platos stepchild

When I say I'm futureless, what I mean is I have no purpose, no job, and soon no home. I have no incentive to be productive; I don't feel that I can contribute anything to anyone. And yes; I sincerely believe that suicide is immoral. It's an unconscionable crime against the mystery of life. The reason why I'm despondent and am contemplating suicide is because I feel like I'm an unconscionable crime against life. I'm beginning to see myself as anti-life.
Grunth

Post by Grunth »

Platos stepchild wrote:When I say I'm futureless, what I mean is I have no purpose, no job, and soon no home. I have no incentive to be productive; I don't feel that I can contribute anything to anyone. And yes; I sincerely believe that suicide is immoral. It's an unconscionable crime against the mystery of life. The reason why I'm despondent and am contemplating suicide is because I feel like I'm an unconscionable crime against life. I'm beginning to see myself as anti-life.
Are you then saying it is immoral to have no job or be homeless?
Platos stepchild

Grunth wrote: Are you saying it is immoral to have no job or be homeless?
Not at all. I was once homeless for four long years, with a wife and two small children. That was over 20 years ago. I just don't have it in me to face all that again, alone and being so much older. Frankly, I'm scared. And that fear is eating away at me. At some crucial tipping-point, death will be preferable to living with such a debilitating fear. And, that tipping-point will probably be my upcoming 60th birthday.
Lucylu

Post by Lucylu »

Platos stepchild wrote:When I say I'm futureless, what I mean is I have no purpose, no job, and soon no home. I have no incentive to be productive; I don't feel that I can contribute anything to anyone. And yes; I sincerely believe that suicide is immoral. It's an unconscionable crime against the mystery of life. The reason why I'm despondent and am contemplating suicide is because I feel like I'm an unconscionable crime against life. I'm beginning to see myself as anti-life.
Interesting. Well, firstly I would say that you are better off coming out of the depressed closet and asking for help. And no, by depressed I am not dismissing you as just ill or wrong or belittling your pain. I mean depressed as in completely emotionally exhausted and worn down to the point where you are unable to function or cope with life. Your apathy, and self loathing speak volumes.

Social services is there precisely because these sorts of things do happen to many of us at some point in our lives. I know that it may feel like no one has every felt the way you do or that no one has ever been as worthless but I'm afraid (another cliche coming)..you are not alone. And by saying this, again, I am in no way belittling your suffering but life is hard and depression (profound exhaustion) is common. People just don't like to talk about it in polite company. I'm not sure why. Perhaps they fear its contagious or want to distance themselves from it; they don't want to believe it could happen to them too. Which of course it could, and probably will. In time, you will see who has gone through the same things as you and value them all the more for it. If you can depend on any good friends or family members during this time then it will also strengthen your relationships and show you who your real friends are but really you need to just focus on yourself for now.

If you'd broken your back you wouldn't berate yourself for not being able to work- so you should view it as a broken spirit or emotional system. Ekhart Tolle calls it the 'pain body'. Medical science hasn't worked out how to explain it very well yet.

You're in the eye of the storm at the moment, so to speak, so its hard to see your way out and naturally the only option left appears to be to end it all. But that would be 'throwing the baby out with the bathwater' (I'm really lovin' my metaphors today!). At some point we feel too tired and lonely to face the world, and socially, it does take a lot of energy to face the world.

We don't believe that depression will pass when we're in it, but it does. I can personally vouch for that.

So, firstly..commit to the fact that you feel like this and it will take some time, maybe a year or two before you feel like your head is above water again. See your doctor, get signed off work. Get housing benefit. Sort out a safe little home for yourself where you can recuperate. Declutter and take care of yourself. If you're in the Western world, I'm guessing that you can get housing benefit of some sort which will support you until you feel ready to return to work.

Secondly, I would learn self compassion. Self doubt is fine, and healthy but without self compassion as well, you will be miserable. Its ok to go through a bad time. You will come out the other side stronger. You will, somewhere along the way, start to enjoy life again, start to laugh, start to value yourself again. Maybe after you've had a good rest you can start off with some voluntary work, to take the pressure off. Try some mindfulness meditation or counselling or whatever works for you.

Anyway..I agree with your views on suicide. I felt the same way. Life is so miraculous and wonderful. It seems so absurd to throw it all away even if that's what your mind is telling you to do. Your mind is wrong.

(I'm not sure how philosophical all that was, but I hope it helps).
Platos stepchild

That sounds so good, and so sane. But, as bizarre as this must sound, it'd be like cheating on my pain. That's pretty messed up, I know.
Grunth

Post by Grunth »

Platos stepchild wrote:
Grunth wrote: Are you saying it is immoral to have no job or be homeless?
Not at all. I was once homeless for four long years, with a wife and two small children. That was over 20 years ago. I just don't have it in me to face all that again, alone and being so much older. Frankly, I'm scared. And that fear is eating away at me. At some crucial tipping-point, death will be preferable to living with such a debilitating fear. And, that tipping-point will probably be my upcoming 60th birthday.
You keep talking about the past and then calling it the future. It is the past which you are dwelling on. The future doesn't exist. Everyone is futureless.

Anyway, you are identifying yourself as being the thoughts you experience. You should just notice that impulse.
Lucylu

Post by Lucylu »

Platos stepchild wrote:That sounds so good, and so sane. But, as bizarre as this must sound, it'd be like cheating on my pain. That's pretty messed up, I know.
I know exactly what you mean Platos! God, that brings back memories! There is an exquisite masochistic pleasure to the pain and it becomes so important to us and we treasure it, even when it hurts ("My precious!!"). The pain is real, but there is a healthy amount of ego involved too. Maybe its Freud's id, I'm not sure. Or maybe its best to view it as an addiction.

It is hard to walk away from all that. Its like another personality starts to develop in the dark. I was absolutely adamant that I liked the 'other me' more than the 'real me' and that I was different from everyone else. Leaving that idea behind and swallowing my pride was like cutting off a leg or something. That's part of the mind's natural self righteousness- I'm sure it stimulates a chemical reward/pleasure centre. The mind is a strange beast indeed! But the reality is that that pain is a 2-dimensional pleasure- if it could sustain you then you would be fulfilled right now. Instead it's making you sick, going round and round and round. Walk away!

All I can say is, if I can do it, you can do it. Be patient with any setbacks and reward even the tiniest progress everyday.

If you want to go in to detail, PM me. I'd be happy to help.

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream