Announcement: Your votes are in! The January 2019 Philosophy Book of the Month is The Runaway Species: How Human Creativity Remakes the World by David Eagleman and Anthony Brandt.

Vote for the January 2019 Philosophy Book of the Month

A forum for old votes and nomination threads

Which book do you want to be the January 2019 Philosophy Book of the Month

Poll ended at December 1st, 2018, 11:52 am

The Runaway Species by David Eagleman & Anthony Brandt
60%
The Infinite Game by Simon Sinek
40%
Dollars and Sense by Dan Ariely
No votes

Total votes: 5

Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Philosopher: Diogenes the Cynic

Vote for the January 2019 Philosophy Book of the Month

Post by Scott » November 22nd, 2018, 11:52 am

The Philosophy Book of the Month has been on hold for a while, but we will be re-starting it better than ever in 2019.

Here are the options for January:

The Runaway Species: How Human Creativity Remakes the World by David Eagleman and Anthony Brandt

The Infinite Game by Simon Sinek

Dollars and Sense: How We Misthink Money and How to Spend Smarter by Dan Ariely

This poll will close automatically on December 1st. This will give participants a month to obtain and read the winning book before.

---

Nominations for future Philosophy Books of the Month can only be made by (1) moderators, (2) contributors, or (3) those who participate in the Philosophy Book of the Month Discussion Forum (which requires actually reading the book each month). If you fall into one of those three categories, please send me a PM with any books you wish to nominate at any time. If you haven't participated in the previous Book of the Month discussions but plan to start participating when we re-start the monthly discussions in January, please hold your nominations until then.
Online Philosophy Club - Please tell me how to improve this website!

Check it out: Abortion - Not as diametrically divisive as often thought?

Manas
New Trial Member

Re: Vote for the January 2019 Philosophy Book of the Month

Post by Manas » November 23rd, 2018, 7:36 pm

“Vote for philosophy book of the month” and not one of them by a philosopher??

An ironic self-reflection that the philosophy forum is not about philosophy. Do call it something else.

Tehsorso

Post by Tehsorso » November 24th, 2018, 4:02 am

You have a point, though the subject matter of all these could be interesting. Not from a strictly philosophical point of view - though what exactly is a strictly philosophical point of view is not clear to me - but rather from a "serious non-fiction book club" point of view.

Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott » November 24th, 2018, 12:12 pm

Manas wrote:
November 23rd, 2018, 7:36 pm
“Vote for philosophy book of the month” and not one of them by a philosopher??

An ironic self-reflection that the philosophy forum is not about philosophy. Do call it something else.
Naming the forum something like, "a forum to have in-depth philosophical discussions about neuroscience, sociology, psychology, religion, morality, happiness, ethics, behavioral recommendations, X, Y, Z, A, B, C, etc." won't fit in the name field of most forms. However, I am open to suggestions on a forum re-name if you want to send me some.

Regarding the book, we are the philosophers. The books might be by doctorates in neuroscience (Eagleman) or doctorates in cognitive psychology (Ariely) rather than specifically professors/doctorates in Philosophy. Some of the books we discussion probably will not be by doctorates at all, let alone specifically philosophy doctorates. Some of the books we discuss will be by philosophy doctorates who work as philosophy professors and describe themselves as philosophers.

What makes it a philosophy book club is us and our approach, not limiting the books themselves to books written by doctorates in philosophy.

ktz
Favorite Philosopher: right now it is Tim Wu

Post by ktz » November 24th, 2018, 1:16 pm

Thanks for putting this together, and I'll look forward to participating. I don't really feel like any of the current choices particularly resonate with my philosophical interests but I'm sure they will still be interesting in their own right.
You may have a heart of gold, but so does a hard-boiled egg.

Tehsorso

Post by Tehsorso » November 30th, 2018, 10:39 am

@Scott - just in case this ends in a draw, you should probably know that The Infinite Game will only be available to purchase in June 2019 (in the EU at least), so some people will not have access to it.

Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott » November 30th, 2018, 11:54 am

Tehsorso wrote:
November 30th, 2018, 10:39 am
@Scott - just in case this ends in a draw, you should probably know that The Infinite Game will only be available to purchase in June 2019 (in the EU at least), so some people will not have access to it.
Great catch! I supposed if it is a tie we can do both winners and push The Infinite Game to sometime after June.