Nominate books to be a philosophy book of the month

A forum for old votes and nomination threads
Reza_asady
New Trial Member

Re: Nominate books to be a philosophy book of the month

Post by Reza_asady »

I would like to nominate my own new book in philosophy of the universe. In this book I challenged some current unknown mechanisms of action we observe in the life and history and then I considered modification in our understandings about life and meaning of it. This book entitled "Circles of Reasoning" and is 75 pages and published online in Smashwords. To download and read this book search the name of the book in Smashwords Publishing.
Thinking critical
Favorite Philosopher: A.C Grayling

Post by Thinking critical »

I highly recommend the movie "I AM" it addresses the nature of man and gives an original view on what it is to exist, from the perspective of religion, philosophy and science. What may seem surprising is that all three views tie in together with very little conflict, the open minded atheist and open minded theist can all agree on a common ground. DEFINITELY WORTH A VEIW.
This cocky little cognitive contortionist will straighten you right out
Granth

Post by Granth »

Scientific Proof of the Existence of God Will Soon be Announced by the White House. By Da Free John, is my suggestion.
If reality was determined by a popularity vote we would not have any pioneers.
Hoggy

Post by Hoggy »

James Herriot is one of the biggest philosophical authors of modern times.

His observations about vets translate immediately into concerns about pharmaceutical proliferation, the hegemony of science in general and the short sighted conceits of scientists. He understands science to be a profit driven form of certifiable hooliganism (represented by the two inadequtes and their humbug leader) which has declared war on time proven wisdom and will, if not confronted, be the death of us all.
ClarkeBenson
New Trial Member

Post by ClarkeBenson »

Hello, I would recommend Ayn Rand's 'The Fountainhead' as I love the egoism she has portrayed in her lead characters.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

I just posted the topic to vote for the January 2014 book of the month.

Please continue to use this topic to post new nominations.
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Calrid
Favorite Philosopher: your mum

Post by Calrid »

Nominating Hillary Putnam's Threefold chord, sure it's not going to change your mind but it is a good place to start in the debate about the hard problem.
Calrid
Favorite Philosopher: your mum

Post by Calrid »

I nominate Alice in Wonderland. No I know it's hardly new but it is a classic, it was an attack on mathematics and the certain infinite ideas. I think it is a classic and extremely insightful. Mad as a hatter I may be but no madder. Who's with me. :D
Percarus
Favorite Philosopher: Aristotle

Post by Percarus »

I nominate 'Percarus', which is a relatively unknown book only spread by word of mouth and readily obtainable free from: http://bookbooster.com/newage.htm
Happy recluse
Favorite Philosopher: Kant

Post by Happy recluse »

I nominate: Aristotle on Practical Wisdom: Nicomachean Ethics VI by C. D. C. Reeve, Harvard University Press, 2013.
If I don’t respond, assume that your comment isn’t worthwhile or that I’ve already addressed your concerns. If that’s not palatable, assume that you’re right. Feel free to pick the conclusion that helps you to feel good about yourself.
Joe_C

Post by Joe_C »

The Grand Design by Stephen Hawking. He begins the book with the claim that philosophy is dead and that scientists must therefore address the deep questions previously discussed by philosophers.
Seahunt

June Nomination

Post by Seahunt »

Greetings All,

May I nominate a book that has been published recently on Amazon. It is called Transition To A New Human Ecology. Its premise is that the changes we see today are actually all part of a larger change that can only be described in the general topic of Ecology, the study of how a specie survives. For humans, philosophy is a critical part of survival and we need one that can accommodate the massive changes currently effecting every aspect of human existence.

One reason it would be appropriate is that the book's foundation is that the main requirement for human survival is moral strategy, based on a basic moral philosophy. In a way, the author's initial conclusions of what that philosophy is are not as profound as the recognition that the strategies must be built upon that philosophy. The moral foundation must be fairly simple, but the strategies built upon it are more complex. More development of the philosophical element is meant for a second book.

In the Transition book though are two other huge philosophical points, each of which alone would be worth examination due to their importance and originality.

The first is an examination of what humans are as revealed by examination of genes. What is called human progress is the removal of natural selection. A biologist would call that a disaster for any specie. To solve this danger (which is becoming recognized recently because of cheap genetic sequencing) the author says that humans must change their understanding of what a human is, can be and should be. He expresses it in moral terms, because any changes like this will be judged by moral and spiritual instincts older than intellect. It should open new potentials that have been dreamed of, but never considered likely, because there are moral inhibitions. (This also has a unique statement on racism.)

The second large philosophical point follows that, because a change in a concept of what a human is changes our concept of God. We already see that change starting as religion separates further from the Monarchy that it was married to by Constantine, but that is no longer relevant in the modern world. This is not just a different concept of God than has been offered up to now, it is a radical departure based upon the new view of human genetics in the previous genetics section of the book. He mentions the limited historic philosophical view of God's existence in terms of E. Kant's view of Creation requiring a Creator, but goes in a completely different direction based on trends and human nature. His purpose of examining God though was only to examine human aspirations expressed in literature and religion so as to examine what potentials humans might be able to achieve. The author's conclusions are quite novel as far as I know (though my education is admittedly limited).

Another reason to consider this book for examination is that really, how often does someone publish a book stating that it is original philosophy and morality. I personally believe that was last done by Ayn Rand (who I think has some errors, addressed by this author by the way). The author is primarily a geneticist, but it might come as no surprise if humanity's future was greatly effected by human genetics. Still, he recognizes that the mark of humans is using learned strategies rather than instincts, so genetics is only a starting point. He has many other resources to draw upon, including cybernetics and a great deal of reading.

I think this book would be a good one for examination, because it is very up to date on rapidly changing subjects like education, emergent diseases, genetics, religion, economics and other topics. These are very fresh ideas. The weakness I see in the book is that because philosophy and morality are such controversial topics, the author has chosen to focus on new factors while avoiding topics that will set off endless argument. It seems he is saving the hot button topics for a sequel.

With due consideration may I recommend Transition To A New Human Ecology - A Philosophy For The Next 10,000 Years. I do not seem to be able to link to Amazon, but I think I can put that at Amazon you could add /dp/B00K61A64S and find it. Much of it is readable for free and if anyone requests I can put some of the relevant Genetics sections or discussion of God.

Disclaimer: I have never met the author, but I bet he is a real nice guy and I know he spent literally decades figuring this book out so if you pick on one word of my book I'm going go after you like a Honey Badger crossed with a Wolverine. :lol: Seriously, what could be cooler than an original book on philosophy from a member of this community?

A Summary:

1. The Problem - Everything is changing so fast. Until the Genetics section, the book is largely a description of human nature and ecology in classical terms of biology and history as they have been from pre-history until present. This part is necessary as it is the baseline where the changes started from, our last "stable" ecology, but is mostly background. Some of it is Anthropology, but much of this as well as the genetics section is based on the work of C. D. Darlington in his book The Evolution of Man and Society. It gives a more biological slant to the view.

2. Genetics - The Problems and Solutions. We are in a genetic crisis. This lays out some of the incredible genetic problems we have to solve to keep what we have and to adapt to a new niche we can survive in. It is the discussion about the genetic tools and strategies we can use to husband the genetic potentials of the human race, both to solve the problems we face and to adapt to what we want to become.

3. Aspirations - The Goal. The Aspirations Section discusses human aspirations as expressed in history, religion and literature. This is what we might want to accomplish with the genetic, strategic and technical tools and potentials that we have available. This is about what we have always thought about our future. It is used in the morality section to consider what actions and strategies we need to use to reach our longer term goals that we have expressed as aspirations.

4. Morality - Survival Strategies. The may learned survival strategies that humans use are called Moralities. This section discusses and categorizes characteristics of morality and how we can take advantage of the strategies that will help us grow and achieve our aspirations.

5. Conclusions - This is not about assembling information. It makes judgments. It considers how we can achieve long term survival and achieve our aspirations. This is a way to judge and develop the genetic potentials and moralities we have to work with that can serve humans in the future as our world changes. It is about how we can adapt genetically and strategically. It is about the values that will foster survival.
Stantasyland

Post by Stantasyland »

Here's my newly created book of quotes and thoughts. I figured I'd suggest it for book of the month. Hopefully you won't find this too forward of me. The quotes can also be found to read on my personal website, Stantasyland, along with my poetry.

It is available on Amazon. "Stantasyland: Quips, Quotes & Quandaries" by Stanley Victor Paskvich.

Thanks,

Stanley Victor Paskavich

Disabled gulf war vet, Poet and Philosopher.
quips_cover-small.jpg
quips_cover-small.jpg (204.47 KiB) Viewed 13311 times
Val Valiant Five
Favorite Philosopher: Margaret Moth

Post by Val Valiant Five »

I nominate Jiddu Krishnamurti's, Freedom From the Known.
Humanity has been galvanized by the internet. Its' a virtual, neural web of collective consciousness. And in this social-electric state, we all have a say; From the darkest corners of thought to the most enlightened. It's a mirror of all our minds.
Upsidedown_Umbrella
New Trial Member

Post by Upsidedown_Umbrella »

An Artist of the Floating World Book by Kazuo Ishiguro

Return to “Old Book of the Month Votes”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream