The March Philosophy Book of the Month is Final Notice by Van Fleisher. Discuss Final Notice now.

The April Philosophy Book of the Month is The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight. Discuss The Unbound Soul Now

The May Philosophy Book of the Month is Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler.

Nominate books to be a philosophy book of the month

A forum for old votes and nomination threads
Stirling
Favorite Philosopher: Friedrich Nietzsche

Post by Stirling » January 29th, 2010, 12:36 am

I nominate "The Problems of Philosophy," by Bertrand Russell.
"Live slow, die eventually, leave an indifferently attractive corpse. That's my motto." - David Mitchell

"By a sarcasm of law and phrase they were freemen." - Mark Twain

Skull

Liberal Fascism

Post by Skull » February 24th, 2010, 4:19 pm

Liberal Fascism by J. Goldberg is full of surprises!

Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Philosopher: Diogenes the Cynic

Post by Scott » March 22nd, 2010, 3:14 pm

I nominate The Human Brain Book by Rita Carter.

I have created the thread to vote for the March book.

The April book of the month will be Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl.

From now on, I will only accept non-fiction nominations.

Most of us have already read almost all of the fiction books--which tend to be classic literature like Brave New World. We can discuss those types of books in the forums anyway. People don't seem to bother to read and discuss them as part of the book of the month club even though they constantly win the votes over non-fiction books that would be great to do.

Thanks!
Scott

Thanks!
Scott
Online Philosophy Club - Please tell me how to improve this website!

Check it out: Abortion - Not as diametrically divisive as often thought?

Alethia

Post by Alethia » March 24th, 2010, 4:22 am

Prometheus Illbound (Le Promethee Mal Enchaine)
By: Andre Gide

More a novella than a novel. Nietzschean theme. Written in The Absurd. Easy read, yet thought provoking. Excellent and modern interpretation of the Greek mythology of Prometheus, yet written circa 1900 France. Excellent discussion piece. Highly recommended. Still in print. English translation readily available.

A philosophical fiction few here would even know exists!

Felix

Post by Felix » April 5th, 2010, 6:16 pm

Victor Frankl's book (.pdf format) has been sitting on my pc's hard drive for ages, so the prospect of discussing it may prod me to finally read it. :)
"We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are." - Anaïs Nin

Rust

Post by Rust » May 20th, 2010, 6:43 pm

Please forgive me,I have looked everywhere on line for the Author,but all I find are unrelated books with the same title.
The book's title is Forever Undecided
When I was still in school I read this book everyday at the library until I finally understood the equations inside of it...all but number 4,if you have read the book and understand that joke,give yourself a couple of cool points,because you're probably the only one.

Felix

Post by Felix » May 25th, 2010, 1:23 am

Thank you Rust, I just looked up the book title you mentioned, it sounds interesting. But since I haven't read it, I can't earn any cool or even lukewarm points for understanding the equation #4 joke. :cry:
"We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are." - Anaïs Nin

Stirling
Favorite Philosopher: Friedrich Nietzsche

Post by Stirling » June 15th, 2010, 12:29 am

I nominate "The Faith of a Heretic," by Walter Kaufmann.
"Live slow, die eventually, leave an indifferently attractive corpse. That's my motto." - David Mitchell

"By a sarcasm of law and phrase they were freemen." - Mark Twain

ZarathustraDgodl355

New to Forums

Post by ZarathustraDgodl355 » August 24th, 2010, 12:36 am

Can someone please tell me the book of the month for Sept 2010

Eveready
Banned

Post by Eveready » September 16th, 2010, 9:25 am

I nominate Karl R. Popper`s book The Open Universe: An Argument for Indeterminism

http://www.kolmogorov.com/Popper.html

Algol

Post by Algol » September 23rd, 2010, 7:53 pm

Uncool Scott. How can you have the next 6 months laid out in advance? Re-vote starting at January. Give us all a chance to vote like a month before the book is decided. More people will participate then. Also, Atlas Shrugged was a good choice for November. I don't agree with its sentiment but it will stir controversy.

Eveready
Banned

Post by Eveready » September 26th, 2010, 3:44 pm

quote]How can you have the next 6 months laid out in advance? Re-vote starting at January. [/quote]

Now I`m confused :? so if we nominate a book it won`t get discussed for another year?

Hgfmh

New and nomination

Post by Hgfmh » October 7th, 2010, 5:07 pm

Okay, I'm new and can't quite figure out exactly how this works. Is there a running list of books for each month (such that it can be seen in advance) or does the book get chosen and posted at the beginning of the month? Also, I would like to nominate Steven Pinker's The Blank Slate.

Wowbagger
Favorite Philosopher: Peter Singer _ David Pearce

Re: New and nomination

Post by Wowbagger » October 7th, 2010, 6:14 pm

Hgfmh wrote:Okay, I'm new and can't quite figure out exactly how this works. Is there a running list of books for each month (such that it can be seen in advance) or does the book get chosen and posted at the beginning of the month? Also, I would like to nominate Steven Pinker's The Blank Slate.
Hi, welcome to the forum first of all!

To be honest, I've no idea how this stuff works either.. And at the moment, it doesn't seem like people are really participating in the discussions anyway..

I've always wanted to read 'The Blank Slate' though! Somehow I just kept buying other books, now I have to read through a whole pile.

I've read Pinker's 'How the Mind Works'. I didn't like it as much as Dennett's 'Consciousness Explained', but it was intriguing and I very much want to read his other book. Have you read it already?

Hgfmh

Blank Slate

Post by Hgfmh » October 7th, 2010, 6:21 pm

I am about halfway through it and wish I knew more people who've read it because I'm anxious to discuss it. It's really thought provoking. It's revolutionary in the way that it seems like obvious once you're had someone point it out to you:). Overall I find it quite compelling although I question him on a few points and would like to see some clarification on some of the evidence he uses to debunk the myth of the noble savage early in the book. The book has really spurred my thinking and I keep stopping to read up on someone or something he discusses in the book, so it's taking me a while to get through it :).