Creating a world already in motion with seeming backstory

Discuss the March 2021 Philosophy Book of the Month, The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God’s Plan by Daniel Friedmann.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Creating a world already in motion with seeming backstory

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

Here is an interesting quote from page 120 of The Biblical Clock:
Daniel Friedmann wrote:Just as stars were created, light rays were also created. And just as God could create a star that begins to shine only after its creation, so could He create a star that already has rays of light shining forth from it.
Do you agree with this statement?

I am not personally religious and do not believe in an anthropomorphic external god. Nonetheless, I think that statement is both wise and logical. If there is some kind of creator god, be it the Abrahamic God, be it our AI Matrix overlords, or be it a young alien girl creating this world in EA's The Sims 15, it stands to reason that such a god would be capable of creating backstory or otherwise creating a full world already in motion without a physically atomic start. What do you think?
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
LuckyR

Re: Creating a world already in motion with seeming backstory

Post by LuckyR »

Scott wrote: March 4th, 2021, 10:50 pm Here is an interesting quote from page 120 of The Biblical Clock:
Daniel Friedmann wrote:Just as stars were created, light rays were also created. And just as God could create a star that begins to shine only after its creation, so could He create a star that already has rays of light shining forth from it.

I am not personally religious and do not believe in an anthropomorphic external god. Nonetheless, I think that statement is both wise and logical. If there is some kind of creator god, be it the Abrahamic God, be it our AI Matrix overlords, or be it a young alien girl creating this world in EA's The Sims 15, it stands to reason that such a god would be capable of creating backstory or otherwise creating a full world already in motion without a physically atomic start. What do you think?
Sure it's possible. Anything is possible, though that is an incredibly low bar for me to jump over, let alone an omnipotent god.

In other words that sort of retrospectively proposed preemptive strike trick would not fly as a valid argument from my 5 year old daughter, never mind the creator of the universe.
"As usual... it depends."
Sushan
Book of the Month Discussion Leader

Post by Sushan »

Scott wrote: March 4th, 2021, 10:50 pm Here is an interesting quote from page 120 of The Biblical Clock:

If we are discussing about a almighty God with infinite power, then we cannot clearly imagine even what can be done. So, such a thing is easily possible.

I remembered a cartoon depicting a similar scenario, in which God creates the world using a computer pprogramme. So he sets it into function amidst his creation. And when he had to go away from the computer for a while, the world has gone into chaos since he already set it in motion. So He had to delete (this deletion was shown as a big splash of water washing away everything - Noah and the Flood) everything and start again. Though it was something hilarious, your opinion reminded me of that, and it is a valid opinion
“There is only one thing a philosopher can be relied upon to do, and that is to contradict other philosophers”

– William James
Count Lucanor
Favorite Philosopher: Umberto Eco

Post by Count Lucanor »

It is a priori implied in the notion of creation an instance of creation. The absence of an instant of creation would imply having a non-created reality and lacking a creator. Since god itself is required to be a non-created reality, this would amount to having at least two independent realities, none of which has a creator. If god is no creator of these realities and can't create them, what is it god for and why would they call them "god"?
The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
Thomyum2
Favorite Philosopher: Robert Pirsig + William James

Post by Thomyum2 »

Count Lucanor wrote: March 7th, 2021, 2:52 pm It is a priori implied in the notion of creation an instance of creation. The absence of an instant of creation would imply having a non-created reality and lacking a creator. Since god itself is required to be a non-created reality, this would amount to having at least two independent realities, none of which has a creator. If god is no creator of these realities and can't create them, what is it god for and why would they call them "god"?
I agree with what the author is saying here, but I think both of you make important points. From the human perspective, we think of the act of 'creating' as something that takes place within a framework of time and it is difficult for us to imagine it as something outside of that. But to conceive of God as a being that is confined within time and bound by time and space is contradictory to the very notion of a supreme being. If God created the universe, then God must have created time also, and God's very existence cannot be temporal in nature.

This isn't a new idea - in book XI of the Confessions, St. Augustine discussed the notion that time itself, just like space and matter, must also be understood as something created and it can't make sense to talk about God simply as a being who existed in time 'before' creating all there is, i.e. as one who only created things and set them in motion at some beginning point in time. I think it makes more sense to understand God as what I would call a 'spiritual' or 'transcendental' creator; one who brings all into existence - all past, present and future. In that sense, creation is not something that occurred or occurs at a moment in time, but could be thought of as an occurring - as a creation that is happening at every moment and from which all things, and the histories of all things, emanate.
“We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.”
— Epictetus
Count Lucanor
Favorite Philosopher: Umberto Eco

Post by Count Lucanor »

Thomyum2 wrote: March 8th, 2021, 2:15 pm I agree with what the author is saying here, but I think both of you make important points. From the human perspective, we think of the act of 'creating' as something that takes place within a framework of time and it is difficult for us to imagine it as something outside of that. But to conceive of God as a being that is confined within time and bound by time and space is contradictory to the very notion of a supreme being. If God created the universe, then God must have created time also, and God's very existence cannot be temporal in nature.
Yes, you can proceed to deny the supreme being's temporality, but this comes with consequences to the other attributes of this god. One is that it cannot be a personal being with agency, thought, will, etc., because time is intrinsic to all of these things. Secondly, somehow associated with the first one: the supreme being could not act, and there can't be a state of potentiality in its acts, nor a consequence for any of its acts, as all of these imply temporality. Creation as the result of the wilful act of a supreme personal being is then not possible. That includes, of course, the creation of time itself. An instance of creation of time is a contradiction, because time is implied in the concept of creation. So, we are only left with the notion that time is not created either.

At the end, when you combine all the logical consequences, we end up having at least three independent realities (a non-personal god + the universe + time), none of which has a creator, nor a beginning, nor an end. One still wonders why the need for the existence of this god.
The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

Count Lucanor wrote: March 7th, 2021, 2:52 pm

It is a priori implied in the notion of creation an instance of creation. The absence of an instant of creation would imply having a non-created reality and lacking a creator. Since god itself is required to be a non-created reality, this would amount to having at least two independent realities, none of which has a creator. If god is no creator of these realities and can't create them, what is it god for and why would they call them "god"?
If we think of it in that manner, it gives rise to a question like "which one came first, the hen or the egg?". If everything has been created, who created this so called God? If no one created Him, how did He came into existence? If everything were created, why only the God became a non-created creature which existed or appeared somehow on its own?
“There is only one thing a philosopher can be relied upon to do, and that is to contradict other philosophers”

– William James
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

Thomyum2 wrote: March 8th, 2021, 2:15 pm

Count Lucanor wrote: March 7th, 2021, 2:52 pm It is a priori implied in the notion of creation an instance of creation. The absence of an instant of creation would imply having a non-created reality and lacking a creator. Since god itself is required to be a non-created reality, this would amount to having at least two independent realities, none of which has a creator. If god is no creator of these realities and can't create them, what is it god for and why would they call them "god"?
I agree with what the author is saying here, but I think both of you make important points. From the human perspective, we think of the act of 'creating' as something that takes place within a framework of time and it is difficult for us to imagine it as something outside of that. But to conceive of God as a being that is confined within time and bound by time and space is contradictory to the very notion of a supreme being. If God created the universe, then God must have created time also, and God's very existence cannot be temporal in nature.

This isn't a new idea - in book XI of the Confessions, St. Augustine discussed the notion that time itself, just like space and matter, must also be understood as something created and it can't make sense to talk about God simply as a being who existed in time 'before' creating all there is, i.e. as one who only created things and set them in motion at some beginning point in time. I think it makes more sense to understand God as what I would call a 'spiritual' or 'transcendental' creator; one who brings all into existence - all past, present and future. In that sense, creation is not something that occurred or occurs at a moment in time, but could be thought of as an occurring - as a creation that is happening at every moment and from which all things, and the histories of all things, emanate.
Well, it is a fact that is quite difficult to comprehend in that manner. A time without time! How such thing could have existed? What was it like?

According to Einstein time is relative too. If so, is it relative to God? Let's say that God is a spiritual being. does it mean by being spiritual that time is an irrelevant fact for such beings?

Too confusing :shock: :shock: :!: :?:

– William James
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

Count Lucanor wrote: March 8th, 2021, 7:10 pm
Thomyum2 wrote: March 8th, 2021, 2:15 pm I agree with what the author is saying here, but I think both of you make important points. From the human perspective, we think of the act of 'creating' as something that takes place within a framework of time and it is difficult for us to imagine it as something outside of that. But to conceive of God as a being that is confined within time and bound by time and space is contradictory to the very notion of a supreme being. If God created the universe, then God must have created time also, and God's very existence cannot be temporal in nature.
Yes, you can proceed to deny the supreme being's temporality, but this comes with consequences to the other attributes of this god. One is that it cannot be a personal being with agency, thought, will, etc., because time is intrinsic to all of these things. Secondly, somehow associated with the first one: the supreme being could not act, and there can't be a state of potentiality in its acts, nor a consequence for any of its acts, as all of these imply temporality. Creation as the result of the wilful act of a supreme personal being is then not possible. That includes, of course, the creation of time itself. An instance of creation of time is a contradiction, because time is implied in the concept of creation. So, we are only left with the notion that time is not created either.

At the end, when you combine all the logical consequences, we end up having at least three independent realities (a non-personal god + the universe + time), none of which has a creator, nor a beginning, nor an end. One still wonders why the need for the existence of this god.
That is quite insightful. For the creation, a God should have existed. If the bible has not lied, then this whole creation process has a time frame. Yet, nowhere it is mentioned that the time has been created. And if the God created everything, where have been all this universe? Seemingly He has not created the whole universe (as per the bible).

Finally we are left with the question, "What is the need of a God?" :idea:

– William James

Return to “The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream