What is the author's true intention behind writing this book? Is it to prove that the God is true?

Discuss the April 2021 Philosophy Book of the Month, Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
Sushan
Book of the Month Discussion Leader

What is the author's true intention behind writing this book? Is it to prove that the God is true?

Post by Sushan »

It is true that the author has provided many scientific and philosophical details and has let the reader to go for his/her own conclusions, rather than trying to prove anything that the author believes as true or false.

But when the essence of the book is taken into consideration, I feel like that the author's true intention has been to prove that the presence of the God (or a supreme being) is true.

What do you think about that? Do you agree with me?
“There is only one thing a philosopher can be relied upon to do, and that is to contradict other philosophers”

– William James
Alias
Favorite Philosopher: Terry Pratchett

Re: What is the author's true intention behind writing this book? Is it to prove that the God is true?

Post by Alias »

It sounds to me like a personal quest, which doesn't require any hidden agenda, or "true intention" behind the stated one of confronting the veracity of religious teaching. It seems to be primarily about Catholic dogma, rather than religion in general.
Seems like he's sharing his own reflections and inviting the reader to question their own belief under a new light.
There is no need to prove or disprove anything; only to follow a line of reasoning to whatever conclusion you draw.

I haven't read the book. Reviews are generally favourable, though reserved: this is not the rave/slam reception that very confrontational or doctrinaire books about religion usually receive. Seems to make people think, so I'll take that to be its intent.
Count Lucanor
Favorite Philosopher: Umberto Eco

Re: What is the author's true intention behind writing this book? Is it to prove that the God is true?

Post by Count Lucanor »

Sushan wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 5:17 am It is true that the author has provided many scientific and philosophical details and has let the reader to go for his/her own conclusions, rather than trying to prove anything that the author believes as true or false.

But when the essence of the book is taken into consideration, I feel like that the author's true intention has been to prove that the presence of the God (or a supreme being) is true.

I have not read the book and it is very unlikely that I will waste my time on it, but if the author attempts any proof by means of empirical demonstrations, then he most likely fails, as most religious people only need a justification to believe, in other words, to attribute events to some cause. They just rationalize their beliefs, even if takes some magic. So they will say something like: "nature is diverse and complex, therefore God". Actually, there can be many causes for nature's complexity, but the believer will not care about them.
The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

Alias wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 10:47 am It sounds to me like a personal quest, which doesn't require any hidden agenda, or "true intention" behind the stated one of confronting the veracity of religious teaching. It seems to be primarily about Catholic dogma, rather than religion in general.
Seems like he's sharing his own reflections and inviting the reader to question their own belief under a new light.
There is no need to prove or disprove anything; only to follow a line of reasoning to whatever conclusion you draw.

I haven't read the book. Reviews are generally favourable, though reserved: this is not the rave/slam reception that very confrontational or doctrinaire books about religion usually receive. Seems to make people think, so I'll take that to be its intent.
Well , the reviews show the biased nature of the book towards Catholic belief system. But the author has not directly dedicated his book to discuss about the God, but he has stated various scientific facts that will indirectly show the presence of a supreme being. In other words, he has not made this into either a religious book or a philosophical book 100%. That was the reason for me to raise this question regarding a true intention, because it seems like the author is having a hidden intention
“There is only one thing a philosopher can be relied upon to do, and that is to contradict other philosophers”

– William James
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

Count Lucanor wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 12:41 pm
Sushan wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 5:17 am It is true that the author has provided many scientific and philosophical details and has let the reader to go for his/her own conclusions, rather than trying to prove anything that the author believes as true or false.

I have not read the book and it is very unlikely that I will waste my time on it, but if the author attempts any proof by means of empirical demonstrations, then he most likely fails, as most religious people only need a justification to believe, in other words, to attribute events to some cause. They just rationalize their beliefs, even if takes some magic. So they will say something like: "nature is diverse and complex, therefore God". Actually, there can be many causes for nature's complexity, but the believer will not care about them.
I agree. believers always see what they want to see, rather than seeing what is actually there. No one can convince them against their beliefs with whatever the evidence. Seemingly this author has gone to an unnecessary extent to prove the existence of a God, because the believers do not need scientific evidence to 'believe'.

Apparently the author has targeted the floating minds. He has supplied some convincing scientific data to prove a presence of a supreme being, so the swaying minds can be dragged towards the cluster of believers. That is why I say that this author is having a hidden agenda behind this seemingly innocent book.

– William James
Count Lucanor

Post by Count Lucanor »

Sushan wrote: April 6th, 2021, 2:34 am
Apparently the author has targeted the floating minds. He has supplied some convincing scientific data to prove a presence of a supreme being, so the swaying minds can be dragged towards the cluster of believers. That is why I say that this author is having a hidden agenda behind this seemingly innocent book.
I'm sure a big percentage of the motivations of preachers is not about convincing, but about reinforcing beliefs.
The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
Alias

Post by Alias »

I don't know that this is a "preacher". It sounds - superficially, from the reviews - as if it were a disillusioned Catholic trying to find God by a different route: questioning handed-down belief and perhaps replacing them with new, original ones. If this is the case, it's a perfectly legitimate. If it helps other dissatisfied believers adjust their faith to something more tenable, it's a positive step.
Those who can induce you to believe absurdities can induce you to commit atrocities. - Voltaire
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

Count Lucanor wrote: April 6th, 2021, 3:34 pm
Sushan wrote: April 6th, 2021, 2:34 am
I'm sure a big percentage of the motivations of preachers is not about convincing, but about reinforcing beliefs.
Maybe that is true. Maybe the author's intention was to reinforce the beliefs of the believers. Yet, as far as I believe, believers do not need reinforcements if they are true believers. But there is a group of people who do not have a solid mind, so as their beliefs. To keep such people bound to a belief system, such reinforcements are necessary.

At the same time, this sort of writing can be used to completely convert minds that have no idea of believing in such a system.

– William James
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

Alias wrote: April 6th, 2021, 6:08 pm I don't know that this is a "preacher". It sounds - superficially, from the reviews - as if it were a disillusioned Catholic trying to find God by a different route: questioning handed-down belief and perhaps replacing them with new, original ones. If this is the case, it's a perfectly legitimate. If it helps other dissatisfied believers adjust their faith to something more tenable, it's a positive step.
I agree. You do not have to completely believe in what you have been handed down since your birth. You have the freedom to question it and think about it in a different manner. If you come to the same belief at the end of such a thorough research, then you can think that there is an actual validity for the belief system that you have been handed down at your birth. Seemingly this author has taken such an attempt and he has extended what he found to the rest of the world.

– William James
Count Lucanor

Post by Count Lucanor »

Sushan wrote: April 7th, 2021, 5:13 am Yet, as far as I believe, believers do not need reinforcements if they are true believers.
For what I know, self-proclaimed true believers are the ones more in need of reinforcement.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
Tegularius

Post by Tegularius »

What a phony piece of crap! Just reading a few paragraphs makes one puke with the hypocrisy of it. Just goes to show the plethora of educated idiots working hard to make their mark in the halls of academia.
The earth has a skin and that skin has diseases; one of its diseases is called man ... Nietzsche
Alias

Post by Alias »

Okay, I just read into it on amazon. He seems to have arrived by age 30 to where I was at 12 - he finally got round to reading the bible!! and wondering whether Jesus was for real. Maybe this whole book is the thought process most bright kids go through in adolescence. Maybe the late bloomers need more guidance.
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

Count Lucanor wrote: April 8th, 2021, 5:05 pm
Sushan wrote: April 7th, 2021, 5:13 am Yet, as far as I believe, believers do not need reinforcements if they are true believers.
For what I know, self-proclaimed true believers are the ones more in need of reinforcement.
Maybe yes. Yet, what I see is that they reinforce themselves without any help from the outside. There can be occasions that their faith is challenged, yet they find one way or other to reinforce their faith.

But I think that the floating minds can be swayed by this sort of books, and they might have been this author's primary target group.

– William James
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

Tegularius wrote: April 8th, 2021, 11:00 pm What a phony piece of crap! Just reading a few paragraphs makes one puke with the hypocrisy of it. Just goes to show the plethora of educated idiots working hard to make their mark in the halls of academia.
Pretty strong comment, yet it seems that you have spoken your mind off. This author is a well educated fellow, so he has spent some of his spare time to study about and criticize the Christian teachings and practices. Maybe his sole purpose was to mark his name among the academia and be a renowned guy. Your point is very much valid.

– William James
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

Alias wrote: April 8th, 2021, 11:16 pm Okay, I just read into it on amazon. He seems to have arrived by age 30 to where I was at 12 - he finally got round to reading the bible!! and wondering whether Jesus was for real. Maybe this whole book is the thought process most bright kids go through in adolescence. Maybe the late bloomers need more guidance.
I could not contain my laugh while reading your comment. With all due respect to the author, maybe you have a valid point regarding late bloomers. Yet I do not want to attribute that fully to this author since this author is a renowned figure.

A child can read the bible and think whether Jesus and God were true. But this author definitely has gone far more deeper and he has challenged the whole corrupted religious system which is adopted to the Catholic churches. I do not think a so called 'late bloomer' could have done such a thing.

– William James

Return to “Wilderness Cry by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream