Healthcare as a Service vs Healthcare as a Business?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2021 Philosophy Book of the Month Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C
LuckyR

Re: Healthcare as a Service vs Healthcare as a Business

Post by LuckyR »

Sushan wrote: October 20th, 2021, 1:12 am
LuckyR wrote: June 8th, 2021, 2:41 am
mystery wrote: June 7th, 2021, 5:52 am
LuckyR wrote: June 7th, 2021, 3:11 am

Sounds like you are unfamiliar with the value of insurance.

As to the punished successful, would you rather be a taxed rich person or a poor person getting assistance? Trust me, the rich are doing just fine, you don't need to shed tears on their behalf.
I do know about insurance. I usually only insure what I can not deal with. Health care insurance is not like that, it is a business in the middle of the process. On average paying cash for services that are priced at the real value is a better deal for both provider and buyer. In the US the cost of the medical services are much higher for equivalent service in other locations.

At one point in the US, I had to pay up to $4K per month for insurance of a family and really never went to the Dr much. At the same time, other families went to the Dr. often and did not pay anything. Objectively I don't see how that is fair. Regardless of if It was easy or difficult for me to do that, how is it equal treatment. I don't use any more public service than others when in that location, I think I use far less.

No tears at all and I would not choose to switch places, as I already made the switch when on the other side because I did not like it.

But how is the financial differential fair, it forces some to pay for others without agreement. This is similar to slavery????

BTW; I get it, just rattling the topic to see what you and others think.
Exactly. That is the value of insurance. Since healthcare bills are the #1 reason for bankruptcy, all but the very wealthy should pay for health insurance. Once you do so, why in the world would someone hope to be in poor enough health so they can "use" the insurance they paid for? Insurance is to provide peace of mind (that you are covered), not to use the insurance (to come out ahead financially). No one hopes their home burns down when they purchase fire insurance. No one wants to total their car because they have collision coverage.

So using less services makes you a winner, not a loser.

Do we really want to live in a society where folks who can't afford healthcare are just denied care and left to die, when there is enough overall wealth to pay for it?
I think the poor being treated for free is done by the expenditures done by the government rather than any charity work done by large insurance companies. Atleast that is the scenario in my country.

But I agree to your last point. No one has to be denied of healthcare services since there is abundant money in the society which can be used for the benefit of everyone. But the issue is that money getting divided unfairly, so the rich getting the most while the poor only getting a little.
What money? Healthcare payments? I am unaware that the rich are sicker than the poor. All the data I've seen says the opposite.
"As usual... it depends."
LuckyR

Re: Healthcare as a Service vs Healthcare as a Business

Post by LuckyR »

Sushan wrote: October 20th, 2021, 1:26 am
mystery wrote: June 9th, 2021, 12:09 am
LuckyR wrote: June 8th, 2021, 2:41 am Do we really want to live in a society where folks who can't afford healthcare are just denied care and left to die, when there is enough overall wealth to pay for it?
As with many things, motivation is key to success. If failure is given safety AND comfort then some of the motivation is missing for success.

I do not believe in equal rights, except for the right of opportunity. Which could be a big topic itself. So long as all ppl have the chance to improve we should not reward a lack of improvment. otherwise, we are causing the destruction of our kind.

I might need to qualify the equal thing.

If a man is born and is genetically larger and stronger than another man, he might be able to be successful in say professional sports like football. A different man might have for example an intellect and even an autistic but brilliant mind. That second man can do things the first can not probably. But both men have the chance with the law to find a place and excel. Both will fail in the other area of strength. It means no provision should be made to give them both the same job, but they both have an equal chance to invent a path.

It is the same for health care, each man should have a chance to earn good care.
I agree. Giving away things for free or giving them for the undeserved will demotivate the hard working people who actually earn for themselves and deserve to be treated better.

But I believe health and education are fundamental rights. If we ask people to earn those things their earning might not be enough to achieve the fullest requirement from both fields, and it will drastically reduce their quality of life. Though my country is poor in all other aspects, our healthcare system and education are really advance, and the literacy rate and the healthcare denominators are high because they are given totally free for all the citizens. I am not saying that has to be the case in each and every thing. But these two fields has to be kept open with free access to anyone, whether they deserve it or not.
What do you mean by deserve it?
"As usual... it depends."
popeye1945
Favorite Philosopher: Alfred North Whitehead

Re: Healthcare as a Service vs Healthcare as a Business?

Post by popeye1945 »

It is a fast-care industry. Modeled after Mac Donalds, which was modeled after the cattle industry.

Return to “Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream