I’m happy I stumbled across this ebook!

Use this forum to discuss the June 2021 Philosophy Book of the Month Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C
User avatar
Madeleinexo
New Trial Member
Posts: 2
Joined: June 2nd, 2021, 12:03 pm

I’m happy I stumbled across this ebook!

Post by Madeleinexo »

Wow. So much I never knew before! I knew small details.. like, asking your doctor why he wants an x-ray? or why he wants labs drawn? Are these medically necessary or just to rule out or just to protect their medical license? The world of healthcare is such a hush-hush secret society.. I’m glad books like this exist to help the normal person who knows nothing about the possible road blocks our physicians face on a daily basis! Education is power!
User avatar
Sushan
Book of the Month Discussion Leader
Posts: 255
Joined: February 19th, 2021, 8:12 pm
Contact:

Re: I’m happy I stumbled across this ebook!

Post by Sushan »

It is of utmost importance to be educated about the services that you get in today's world, unless you want to be cheated as the world is not innocent anymore. This is not only for the field of medicine but is applicable to any field of interest. Medical field is commonly related to everyone as sicknesses are common to all. Though this book is a great help, if one want to find any detail about any health condition or medicine related stuff I think internet is the best medium.
“There is only one thing a philosopher can be relied upon to do, and that is to contradict other philosophers”

– William James
User avatar
Madeleinexo
New Trial Member
Posts: 2
Joined: June 2nd, 2021, 12:03 pm

Re: I’m happy I stumbled across this ebook!

Post by Madeleinexo »

Yes, yes yes! SO MUCH YES! I feel so bad for people who don’t know how corrupt The healthcare world can be! I had a friend who asked for an itemized list of her medical bills after being in the hospital for three days.. her total was “reduced” due to “error” by almost $3,200 😳😳😳 what does this tell you?
User avatar
LuckyR
Moderator
Posts: 5154
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 1:16 am

Re: I’m happy I stumbled across this ebook!

Post by LuckyR »

Are there really people who are so naïve that this sort of "exposé" is new information?
"As usual... it depends."
User avatar
Sushan
Book of the Month Discussion Leader
Posts: 255
Joined: February 19th, 2021, 8:12 pm
Contact:

Re: I’m happy I stumbled across this ebook!

Post by Sushan »

Madeleinexo wrote: June 2nd, 2021, 4:03 pm Yes, yes yes! SO MUCH YES! I feel so bad for people who don’t know how corrupt The healthcare world can be! I had a friend who asked for an itemized list of her medical bills after being in the hospital for three days.. her total was “reduced” due to “error” by almost $3,200 😳😳😳 what does this tell you?
I really do not think that that was an error. Or that should be a newly built hospital or a newly installed computer system. Seemingly someone has tried to pull a scandal, but dur to the vigilance of the patient it has been failed. Imagine how many such things can happen without knowledge of the patients or merely ignored by people. Today most of the systems are corrupted, and healthcare is not an exception from that.
“There is only one thing a philosopher can be relied upon to do, and that is to contradict other philosophers”

– William James
User avatar
Sushan
Book of the Month Discussion Leader
Posts: 255
Joined: February 19th, 2021, 8:12 pm
Contact:

Re: I’m happy I stumbled across this ebook!

Post by Sushan »

LuckyR wrote: June 3rd, 2021, 1:59 am Are there really people who are so naïve that this sort of "exposé" is new information?
I agree that today's world is mainly based on information, and many people are well informed. But that does not mean that everyone is informed about everything. This information can be basic information to you and me, but there can be hundreds who are actually benefitted from this sort of a book, though in this new era there are less readers with all this new technology.

US Literacy Rate and Illiteracy Statistics. 32 million adults can not read in the United States equal to 14% of the population. 2. 21% of US adults read below the 5th grade level. 3. 19% of high school graduates can not read. 4. 85% of juveniles who interact with the juvenile court system are considered functionally illiterate.

This is something that I found on internet and that actually surprised me. Reference is mentioned below.

brandongaille.com/us-literacy-rate-and- ... tatistics/
“There is only one thing a philosopher can be relied upon to do, and that is to contradict other philosophers”

– William James
User avatar
LuckyR
Moderator
Posts: 5154
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 1:16 am

Re: I’m happy I stumbled across this ebook!

Post by LuckyR »

Sushan wrote: June 3rd, 2021, 2:10 am
LuckyR wrote: June 3rd, 2021, 1:59 am Are there really people who are so naïve that this sort of "exposé" is new information?
I agree that today's world is mainly based on information, and many people are well informed. But that does not mean that everyone is informed about everything. This information can be basic information to you and me, but there can be hundreds who are actually benefitted from this sort of a book, though in this new era there are less readers with all this new technology.

US Literacy Rate and Illiteracy Statistics. 32 million adults can not read in the United States equal to 14% of the population. 2. 21% of US adults read below the 5th grade level. 3. 19% of high school graduates can not read. 4. 85% of juveniles who interact with the juvenile court system are considered functionally illiterate.

This is something that I found on internet and that actually surprised me. Reference is mentioned below.

brandongaille.com/us-literacy-rate-and- ... tatistics/
But even the illiterate are typically aware of Medicaid fraud on the TV news.
"As usual... it depends."
User avatar
Sushan
Book of the Month Discussion Leader
Posts: 255
Joined: February 19th, 2021, 8:12 pm
Contact:

Re: I’m happy I stumbled across this ebook!

Post by Sushan »

LuckyR wrote: June 3rd, 2021, 2:17 am
Sushan wrote: June 3rd, 2021, 2:10 am
LuckyR wrote: June 3rd, 2021, 1:59 am Are there really people who are so naïve that this sort of "exposé" is new information?
I agree that today's world is mainly based on information, and many people are well informed. But that does not mean that everyone is informed about everything. This information can be basic information to you and me, but there can be hundreds who are actually benefitted from this sort of a book, though in this new era there are less readers with all this new technology.

US Literacy Rate and Illiteracy Statistics. 32 million adults can not read in the United States equal to 14% of the population. 2. 21% of US adults read below the 5th grade level. 3. 19% of high school graduates can not read. 4. 85% of juveniles who interact with the juvenile court system are considered functionally illiterate.

This is something that I found on internet and that actually surprised me. Reference is mentioned below.

brandongaille.com/us-literacy-rate-and- ... tatistics/
But even the illiterate are typically aware of Medicaid fraud on the TV news.
Well, that is quite possible. The percentage of TV owners in USA is higher than its literacy. And with the average IQ of the country being 98 (there are ones who have a IQ below 70 as well), by now almost all people should be aware of medical malpractices and frauds. But there is no harm in reminding about them from time to time.
“There is only one thing a philosopher can be relied upon to do, and that is to contradict other philosophers”

– William James
User avatar
Wildflower7297
New Trial Member
Posts: 1
Joined: June 3rd, 2021, 7:03 am

Re: I’m happy I stumbled across this ebook!

Post by Wildflower7297 »

I agree that most people are most likely aware that the healthcare system is flawed and there is a lot of medical fraud going on. I also think that people may be in the mindset of that won’t happen to me and that is something that happens to other people. It is also possible that some people may not know how to recognize when a doctor is being fraudulent or what to do when this happens.
User avatar
Sushan
Book of the Month Discussion Leader
Posts: 255
Joined: February 19th, 2021, 8:12 pm
Contact:

Re: I’m happy I stumbled across this ebook!

Post by Sushan »

Wildflower7297 wrote: June 3rd, 2021, 7:16 am I agree that most people are most likely aware that the healthcare system is flawed and there is a lot of medical fraud going on. I also think that people may be in the mindset of that won’t happen to me and that is something that happens to other people. It is also possible that some people may not know how to recognize when a doctor is being fraudulent or what to do when this happens.
Most people think, as you mentioned, though others are being cheated I may be excluded.

The other important point that you have mentioned is when you are met with a medically related scandal, do you know what to do, who to speak to and when to act? This author does not cover such legal aspects in detail in her book, but she helps you to prevent from getting cheated and also to identify early if you are being cheated, so then you may have enough time to act. It is good to be early than being late.

Different people can make use of this book in different ways and means.
“There is only one thing a philosopher can be relied upon to do, and that is to contradict other philosophers”

– William James
User avatar
Serenity_Dawn
New Trial Member
Posts: 1
Joined: June 3rd, 2021, 5:39 pm

As someone who has worked in and around the healthcare industry for years, this book is a welcome source of information.

Post by Serenity_Dawn »

As someone who has worked in and around the healthcare industry for years, this book is a welcome source of information. While I know from working in the field that I have to be my own health advocate, I am surprised that so many give up this role (or try to) to their physicians or other healthcare workers. This book is a guide to the healthcare system's inner workings and how to survive and thrive by taking charge of the knowledge that you will gain in this book. You cannot always believe in a system built the way it is in the United States. Please do yourself a favor and arm yourself with the knowledge this book provides to navigate the system more effectively...after all, your health and life depend on it!
User avatar
LuckyR
Moderator
Posts: 5154
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 1:16 am

Re: I’m happy I stumbled across this ebook!

Post by LuckyR »

Sushan wrote: June 3rd, 2021, 3:10 am
LuckyR wrote: June 3rd, 2021, 2:17 am
Sushan wrote: June 3rd, 2021, 2:10 am
LuckyR wrote: June 3rd, 2021, 1:59 am Are there really people who are so naïve that this sort of "exposé" is new information?
I agree that today's world is mainly based on information, and many people are well informed. But that does not mean that everyone is informed about everything. This information can be basic information to you and me, but there can be hundreds who are actually benefitted from this sort of a book, though in this new era there are less readers with all this new technology.

US Literacy Rate and Illiteracy Statistics. 32 million adults can not read in the United States equal to 14% of the population. 2. 21% of US adults read below the 5th grade level. 3. 19% of high school graduates can not read. 4. 85% of juveniles who interact with the juvenile court system are considered functionally illiterate.

This is something that I found on internet and that actually surprised me. Reference is mentioned below.

brandongaille.com/us-literacy-rate-and- ... tatistics/
But even the illiterate are typically aware of Medicaid fraud on the TV news.
Well, that is quite possible. The percentage of TV owners in USA is higher than its literacy. And with the average IQ of the country being 98 (there are ones who have a IQ below 70 as well), by now almost all people should be aware of medical malpractices and frauds. But there is no harm in reminding about them from time to time.
Well malpractice is a different issue. There is definitely some incorrect medicine being practiced, but the vast majority of it are honest mistakes, unfortunate but not malicious. Fraud OTOH is intentional theft of money but is typically perpetrated against insurance companies, (since that is where the money is) not patients.
"As usual... it depends."
User avatar
mesecathena
New Trial Member
Posts: 1
Joined: June 3rd, 2021, 12:12 pm

Re: I’m happy I stumbled across this ebook!

Post by mesecathena »

I am about 35% of the way through this book and I am glad I found it too! My mom was in the medical field and I always went to work with her. Then I joined the field as a caregiver. This is much info in here that I appreciate so far. But the one thing I love most is that the author records her personal feelings and life as well. Its great to read.
User avatar
RandomReviews
New Trial Member
Posts: 2
Joined: June 5th, 2021, 7:08 pm

The business of health care...

Post by RandomReviews »

I enjoyed this book overall, but it did get me angry, if only because it really drove the point home about how insurance companies and corporations have so much control. I believe everyone deserves healthcare no matter what in this country, but I don't see it happening anytime soon, because there's so much money to be made.
User avatar
sand96
New Trial Member
Posts: 1
Joined: June 2nd, 2021, 2:20 pm

Corporate Interest?

Post by sand96 »

This book was an insightful, beginner-friendly read on the inner workings of healthcare, the stuff we often think about on a surface level and shake our heads at. A lot of the time we rant on and on about BigPharma and how abysmal the healthcare system is, so it was quite interesting to see the perspective of not just a medical professional, but one who has also recently been at the receiving end of care due to her cancer diagnosis.

Healthcare is obviously a necessity and most of us wouldn't turn down life saving care, which explains why the pharmaceutical and healthcare industries can hone in on that desperation and milk consumers dry if they're not paying close attention. The author reminded me of how medical professionals often take advantage of our need for healthcare. It made me think back on what some friends and family have gone through because of their doctors ordering all sorts of tests and performing certain exams that aren't exactly necessary, or tacking items onto their bills that they (the doctors) can easily get away with if the patient doesn't ask for an itemized bill.

While I like to think most medical professionals have the best of intentions, at the end of the day, healthcare is a business and service providers want to protect their livelihood, so some of these professionals might be looking out more for corporate interest than proper and ethical patient care. On a lighter note, I also loved the clear compassion the author had for those in her care which was clear within the first few pages. It made my heart warm. In all, I thought this book lived up to its title and gave me a solid look into just how tightly interwoven capitalism is with healthcare
Post Reply

Return to “Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C”

Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
by Dr Frank L Douglas
August 2021

If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your Buts

If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your Buts
by Mark L. Wdowiak
September 2021

The Preppers Medical Handbook

The Preppers Medical Handbook
by Dr. William W Forgey M.D.
October 2021

Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide

Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
by Dr. Gustavo Kinrys, MD
November 2021

Dream For Peace: An Ambassador Memoir

Dream For Peace
by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah
December 2021