Should we second-guess professionals? Should the healthcare system provide a more personal approach or maximize profits?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2021 Philosophy Book of the Month Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C
ah2838
New Trial Member

Should we second-guess professionals? Should the healthcare system provide a more personal approach or maximize profits?

Post by ah2838 »

Much of this book required patients to assume the mindset of a consumer as opposed to a patient. Ideally, everyone should feel safe and secure when going to their provider but Barbara Galutia Regis made several points to rebut that claim. This may be a different way of thinking about healthcare, and even your provider. Should we, as patients, be constantly second-guessing professionals who have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on their career, are more than likely in debt, went to school for at least 10 years, and have a true (hopefully) calling to their profession?

Also, should America's healthcare system provide a more personal approach to medicine or utilize a business model to maximize profits?
Shecancervive
New Trial Member

Re: Should we second-guess professionals? Should the healthcare system provide a more personal approach or maximize prof

Post by Shecancervive »

I have only started reading the book but agree that we should question the professionals. I have had a rare cancer for ten years and had I not done my own research and questioned the pros I probably would not be here. So far I agree with the author.

I also believe healthcare that is on a more personal level tends to instill more trust than someone watching a clock and not getting to know their patients.
RJAll
New Trial Member

Re: Should we second-guess professionals? Should the healthcare system provide a more personal approach or maximize prof

Post by RJAll »

After reading the book, my impression is not so much that we should constantly question professionals, but rather seek further advice (from other professionals) as needed when our symptoms don't improve. I'm a retired medical professional. While I genuinely enjoyed my work and caring for my patients, it really was hard work and stressful. I expected and received a good salary, and I believe each health care worker deserves that. However, the author is absolutely correct in her assertion that everyone should have basic health care coverage. Without it, the simplest care can be prohibitively expensive and more complex care financially ruinous.
Sushan
Book of the Month Discussion Leader

Post by Sushan »

It is a good thing to be knowledgeable about the service that you are getting. But constantly suspecting or questioning your care giver will annoy them as well as they will see you as a nuisance. That does not mean that you do not have the right to question. If you pay (even if you do not) you have the right to know what will happen to your health and body. But as I believe, there is a mental component in treating patients as well. There are occasions in which same drug or treatment has produced different results in different patients. I think such unexplainable scenarios have something to do with the patient's mind as well. So if you suspect too much, it will weaken your own confidence as well. So I think it is good to be cautious, but not good to be too much suspicious.
“There is only one thing a philosopher can be relied upon to do, and that is to contradict other philosophers”

– William James
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

It doesn't matter. There has been and there will always be a spectrum of patient tendancies. Some will go along with the doctor's opinion 100% and some 0% and every number in between. Trust me, healthcare providers have seen all types before, there is nothing you're going to question (second guess) or pull off of some website that they haven't heard (and dealt with) before.

It is silly to think that a doctor could change how individual patients handle information. It is equally silly to suppose that a patient armed with a book is going to fundamentally change how a professional manages their practice.

As to the second question, classic example of a false duality.
"As usual... it depends."

Return to “Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C”

Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream