Atheism is not Logical

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
LuckyR

Re: Atheism is not Logical

Post by LuckyR »

Belindi wrote: May 27th, 2023, 5:11 am
LuckyR wrote: May 27th, 2023, 3:28 am
rainchild wrote: May 26th, 2023, 10:57 pm In what sense is atheism "not logical"? Disbelief in gods is not a self-contradictory position. Neither does it entail the denial of any evident truth, for the simple reason that gods are invisible, intangible, and non-physical--and can therefore not be evident. Never mind the fact that theism lacks any evidence in its favor--it lacks even a coherent account of the nature of objective evidence for a deity, and how any finite effect could constitute evidence for a being of actually infinite power and infinite knowledge.

I submit that the claim that "atheism is illogical" makes no sense.
This thread (and most of the arguments it contains) suffers from using terminology such as "belief" and "exists". These terms have well appreciated meanings when addressing the objective. I am holding an apple, does this apple exist? If you can see this apple, do you believe in the apple? Everyone agrees on the meaning of the ideas involved. OTOH when addressing the inter-subjective, such as gods, corporations, countries and money those terms lose their traditional meanings.

Apple corporation, most lay folk would agree "exists", yet no one can see it. It isn't the campus in Cupertino. It isn't it's board of directors or shareholders. If the campus burned to the ground, Apple corp would still exist. If all of it's board of directors died, it would still exist. It exists within the minds of just about everyone on planet earth, yet corporations can cease to exist the moment a large subset of believers disbelieve in it's existance. Just ask Bernie Madoff. Similarly if you asked anyone on planet earth in 1989 if the USSR "exists", they would have looked at you as if you had two heads, of course it existed. Yet three years later it ceased to exist.

If you asked a citizen of ancient Egypt does god exist? He could point to a physical god, since Pharaoh was the personification of god on earth. No one can argue that Pharaoh "existed", objectively. But Pharaoh as a god existed inter-subjectively, not objectively. And since no one currently believes in the ancient Egyptian religion, their gods no longer "exist", since the inter-subjective "exist" solely in the minds of large groups of humans.
I agree, Lucky, and I want to continue to examine existence from where you left off at the point that existence includes both existence in time and place, and existence in minds.
The common denonimator of existence and space-time and existence in minds is experience. Experience of course excludes inanimate things such as rocks and computers which go into the future wholly determined by their histories.
It's existentially important to recognise and honour experience as pertaining to living things, because AI is now an existential danger.
Hhmmm... perhaps I am not understanding exactly what you're saying but I'm having a little difficulty with a common denomination that has exclusions.
"As usual... it depends."
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Belindi wrote: May 27th, 2023, 1:11 pm Yes, Harry Potter and Sherlock Holmes exist as mental objects as do evaluations, hallucinations, and dreams.
Obscure individuals including small birds, and ephemeral herbs may have an even greater influence on destiny than can be imagined.
Pattern-chaser wrote: May 27th, 2023, 1:44 pm So, just confirming, do concepts like courtesy or arithmetic also exist in that way too?
Belindi wrote: May 27th, 2023, 2:59 pm Yes, I think so. Courtesy, for instance, for me brings to my memory certain actual experiences I've had or that others have told me about and these memories are as concrete as the expressions on the courteous person's face. I suppose it's much the same for others. It would be interesting to find out.

The concept of arithmetic also reminds me of happenings such as a school classroom and so on. Related to arithmetic is the concept of 33, and 5, and seventeen which appeal to me. I suppose many others have more intellectual memories of number, and arithmetic. I think concepts could not exist unless they were experienced. Don't you agree?
I agree that concepts cannot exist without being experienced, although that experience is also a non-physical thing; concepts are experienced only in a mental way, I think. But yes, I agree.

Belindi wrote: May 27th, 2023, 5:11 am The common denonimator of existence [in] space-time and existence in minds is experience. Experience of course excludes inanimate things such as rocks and computers which go into the future wholly determined by their histories.
LuckyR wrote: May 28th, 2023, 3:55 am Hhmmm... perhaps I am not understanding exactly what you're saying but I'm having a little difficulty with a common denomination that has exclusions.
Is it an exclusion if experience simply doesn't apply to "rocks and computers", because they cannot experience experience? I think this is what Belindi meant?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Pattern-chaser wrote: May 28th, 2023, 7:12 am
Belindi wrote: May 27th, 2023, 1:11 pm Yes, Harry Potter and Sherlock Holmes exist as mental objects as do evaluations, hallucinations, and dreams.
Obscure individuals including small birds, and ephemeral herbs may have an even greater influence on destiny than can be imagined.
Pattern-chaser wrote: May 27th, 2023, 1:44 pm So, just confirming, do concepts like courtesy or arithmetic also exist in that way too?
Belindi wrote: May 27th, 2023, 2:59 pm Yes, I think so. Courtesy, for instance, for me brings to my memory certain actual experiences I've had or that others have told me about and these memories are as concrete as the expressions on the courteous person's face. I suppose it's much the same for others. It would be interesting to find out.

The concept of arithmetic also reminds me of happenings such as a school classroom and so on. Related to arithmetic is the concept of 33, and 5, and seventeen which appeal to me. I suppose many others have more intellectual memories of number, and arithmetic. I think concepts could not exist unless they were experienced. Don't you agree?
I agree that concepts cannot exist without being experienced, although that experience is also a non-physical thing; concepts are experienced only in a mental way, I think. But yes, I agree.

Belindi wrote: May 27th, 2023, 5:11 am The common denonimator of existence [in] space-time and existence in minds is experience. Experience of course excludes inanimate things such as rocks and computers which go into the future wholly determined by their histories.
LuckyR wrote: May 28th, 2023, 3:55 am Hhmmm... perhaps I am not understanding exactly what you're saying but I'm having a little difficulty with a common denomination that has exclusions.
Is it an exclusion if experience simply doesn't apply to "rocks and computers", because they cannot experience experience? I think this is what Belindi meant?
Thank you Pattern -chaser, that's what I mean.
rainchild

Post by rainchild »

@ LuckyR: I see your point now. Nice posts!
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Belindi wrote: May 28th, 2023, 1:26 pm
Pattern-chaser wrote: May 28th, 2023, 7:12 am

Thank you Pattern -chaser, that's what I mean.
Thanks, I suspected I was misunderstanding something. Carry on...
Newme

Post by Newme »

Sculptor1 wrote: April 23rd, 2023, 2:20 pmFor a belief; skepticism is the default. We are all born atheistic until we are force fed the notion of god which children accept uncritically untilo they start to question their indoctrination.
All babies see their parents (or caregivers) as Gods. THAT is the default. Gradually, we grow to see that no, they are not gods, but maybe other authorities (leaders/friends/mentors) are as gods. But inevitably, all imperfect people let us down so we come to realize no human being can be trusted as if they’re infallible gods. Then, ideally, we look higher - to higher values. That’s pretty much what God is - the highest GOoD.

Paul Tillich defined god as “one’s ultimate concern” - that which you worship or prioritize above all… not in word, but in deed. Some attach myths, some use logic maybe with mental gymnastics. As imperfect people, we cannot help but involve imperfection with our highest ideals or priorities. So this may be why we have the symbolic example for us to follow of Jacob wrestling (his ideas of) God, so then was renamed Israel.
“Empty is the argument of the philosopher which does not relieve any human suffering.” - Epicurus
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Newme wrote: May 29th, 2023, 1:04 pm
Sculptor1 wrote: April 23rd, 2023, 2:20 pmFor a belief; skepticism is the default. We are all born atheistic until we are force fed the notion of god which children accept uncritically untilo they start to question their indoctrination.
All babies see their parents (or caregivers) as Gods. THAT is the default. Gradually, we grow to see that no, they are not gods, but maybe other authorities (leaders/friends/mentors) are as gods. But inevitably, all imperfect people let us down so we come to realize no human being can be trusted as if they’re infallible gods. Then, ideally, we look higher - to higher values. That’s pretty much what God is - the highest GOoD.

Paul Tillich defined god as “one’s ultimate concern” - that which you worship or prioritize above all… not in word, but in deed. Some attach myths, some use logic maybe with mental gymnastics. As imperfect people, we cannot help but involve imperfection with our highest ideals or priorities. So this may be why we have the symbolic example for us to follow of Jacob wrestling (his ideas of) God, so then was renamed Israel.
I think the first thing is for babies to see their parents as sources of sustenance.
The idea of "god" is something they are forced to learn. They are taught by parents to obey with either the implicit or explicit withdrawal of privileges and rewards, to this degree parents are seen as gods and children obey. The Christian god is pretty much the same idea. be good or go to hell. Not really a care giver, except in the most brutal way.

I utterly reject the implication in the sentence "That’s pretty much what God is - the highest GOoD." in the same way that I feel DOG and GOD are spelled backward is of no importance or relevance. These rather childish observations might work in English, I wonder if it is true of other languages?
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Newme wrote: May 29th, 2023, 1:04 pm

Actually the first religions were animistic not theistic, thus there is no basis to theorize that theism is intrinsic to humans (or what you referred to as the "default").
rainchild

Post by rainchild »

Neither theism nor atheism is the default stance in humans, for the simple reason that babies cannot entertain the abstract ideas involved in either stance.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

rainchild wrote: May 29th, 2023, 9:52 pm Neither theism nor atheism is the default stance in humans, for the simple reason that babies cannot entertain the abstract ideas involved in either stance.
Sorry, but this post doesn't seem to work. You reject a "stance" in humans, because human babies can't entertain a "stance"? The grown-ups can, though...
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
rainchild

Post by rainchild »

I was addressing the absurd claim that we are all born atheistic. In connection with that absurd idea, the post does work.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

rainchild wrote: May 29th, 2023, 9:52 pm Neither theism nor atheism is the default stance in humans, for the simple reason that babies cannot entertain the abstract ideas involved in either stance.
rainchild wrote: May 30th, 2023, 1:22 pm I was addressing the absurd claim that we are all born atheistic. In connection with that absurd idea, the post does work.
Now that you've clarified your intended meaning. You forgot to offer enough context for me, and quite likely for others too. Your initial statement (top) seems to be opposing a "default stance" in humans, that begins at birth.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Stoppelmann
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Alan Watts

Post by Stoppelmann »

LuckyR wrote: May 29th, 2023, 6:54 pm Actually the first religions were animistic not theistic, thus there is no basis to theorize that theism is intrinsic to humans (or what you referred to as the "default").
Animism is often considered one of the earliest forms of religious belief, but on closer look, it may be that the ideas were more complex than we expect. It encompasses the idea that all elements of the natural world, such as animals, plants, and natural phenomena, possess spiritual essence or souls, which could mean that this ‘spirit’ is what we now call consciousness and having varying degrees. Modern science is discovering a form of sentience even in fungi and moss, which have no brains, but react to challenges in a way that has not been expected. Animism involves venerating life-forms and seeking to communicate with their ‘spirits,’ and a holistic approach to life.

Shamanism, which may have emerged from or is closely related to animism, originated in various indigenous cultures around the world and revolves around the belief that certain individuals can communicate with the spirit world or sense the interaction between different aspects of nature and their effects on humans. Shamans are said to perceive the influence of the natural world in ways that modern humans are not aware of, and to act as intermediaries between the human, natural and spiritual worlds, performing various rituals, healing practices and forms of divination.

There have been several well-received books written about personal encounters with shamans and shamanic practices. For example, "The Way of the Shaman" by Michael Harner. This book is a classic in the field of shamanism and introduces core shamanic practices based on the author's experiences with indigenous shamans from various cultures. It provides insights into shamanic journeying, healing methods, and the role of the shaman in different societies.

"The Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge" by Carlos Castaneda: This book chronicles the author's encounters and apprenticeship with a Yaqui shaman named Don Juan Matus. It explores shamanic practices, altered states of consciousness, and spiritual teachings.

"The Shaman's Toolkit: Ancient Tools for Shaping the Life and World You Want to Live In" by Sandra Ingerman, a renowned shamanic practitioner, who provides practical guidance and tools for incorporating shamanic practices into daily life. It covers topics such as journeying, working with power animals, and creating sacred rituals.

"Shaman, Healer, Sage: How to Heal Yourself and Others with the Energy Medicine of the Americas" by Alberto Villoldo, a psychologist and shamanic teacher, who shares his experiences studying with indigenous shamans in the Americas. The book explores shamanic healing techniques, energy medicine, and the integration of ancient wisdom into modern life.

It is not a great distance from animism/shamanism to a belief that there is an underlying 'spirit' or consciousness, which in other forms of religion could be venerated as a god. Brahman is such a god, who resonates with himself in human beings, Atman. So, although the further development into polytheism or theism may have taken some time, the ground may have been laid in animism.
“Find someone who makes you realise three things:
One, that home is not a place, but a feeling.
Two, that time is not measured by a clock, but by moments.
And three, that heartbeats are not heard, but felt and shared.”
― Abhysheq Shukla
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Although atheists are capable of employing counter-arguments gainst abstract concepts, this ability does not define what an atheist is, nor is it a necessary quality of being atheistic
Atheism is not a stance, except in the breach of faith.
All babies are, necessarily atheistic since they cannot have a concept of god, nor can they have a belief in a thing they have not been shown.
rainchild

Post by rainchild »

I disagree.

To define atheism simply as a lack of theistic belief is to include not only babies, but anything that isn't human, such as protons and rocks, in the class of atheists. Since this is an absurd claim, I reject the "lack of belief" definition.

What is more, the definition spuriously establishes that atheism comes more readily to human beings than theism, which makes a needless mystery out of why the vast majority of human beings have been theistic since the dawn of history.

The "babies are atheists" thesis is also irrational, since one can't rationally claim that atheism comes more readily to human beings than theism merely by definition or stipulation.

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream