Jesus came to Earth again! What?! Would we recognize Him?

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Skakos
Favorite Philosopher: Shestov

Jesus came to Earth again! What?! Would we recognize Him?

Post by Skakos »

Dressed in a long white robe and wearing long hair and long beard, the white “Jesus”, who was later on established to be an Italian tourist named Antonio Boretti, drew people’s attention because of his garb. His entire appearance resembled that of the Western image of Jesus that has been engraved in most people’s minds, leading most Christians in Zambia to believe that he was “Jesus” coming back for the second time to judge the world.

The local people followed him and and some even worshipped him, showering him with gifts.

It must have been very confusing for the poor tourist who seemed like he did not understand what was going on but enjoying the attention nevertheless, when he saw people following him. Some believed it was Judgement Day and went to the extent of asking him to forgive them their sins. [thisisafrica.me/lifestyle/jesus-walks-s ... ta-zambia/]

It may sound funny (and it is!) but think about it: Would you recognize Jesus if He came to Earth again? Would you recognize Him if you lived when He lived? Would you see what was in front of you? How many of us are ready to hear the teaching of a poor man with nothing to wear, with no food to eat, with an eagerness to cast a doubt on everything you held dear and on everything you believed in?

Would you be able to hear the teachings of a pariah while passing by him with your expensive car?

What do you think?

PS. The question is mainly targeted to people who believe, but of course atheists could have some insights on this as well. Remember: we are not discussing if Jesus existed, just if one could see his true nature if he happed to walk by Him.
~ το γὰρ αὐτὸ νοεῖν ἐστίν τε καὶ εἶναι ~

Harmonia Philosophica - Philosophy portal against dogmatism of any kind, religious & scientific alike... http://harmoniaphilosophica.wordpress.com/
Harbal

Re: Jesus came to Earth again! What?! Would we recognize Him

Post by Harbal »

Is he claiming to be Jesus or is it up to us to figure it out?
Sacrontine

Post by Sacrontine »

The reason people recognized Jesus back in the day was because (allegedly) he performed actual miracles. Having a beard and white robes is enough for some naive Zambians to give you gifts but it won't get you much more than that.
Lambert

Post by Lambert »

Skakos wrote:Image

Dressed in a long white robe and wearing long hair and long beard, the white “Jesus”, who was later on established to be an Italian tourist named Antonio Boretti, drew people’s attention because of his garb. His entire appearance resembled that of the Western image of Jesus that has been engraved in most people’s minds, leading most Christians in Zambia to believe that he was “Jesus” coming back for the second time to judge the world.

The local people followed him and and some even worshipped him, showering him with gifts.

It must have been very confusing for the poor tourist who seemed like he did not understand what was going on but enjoying the attention nevertheless, when he saw people following him. Some believed it was Judgement Day and went to the extent of asking him to forgive them their sins. [thisisafrica.me/lifestyle/jesus-walks-s ... ta-zambia/]

It may sound funny (and it is!) but think about it: Would you recognize Jesus if He came to Earth again? Would you recognize Him if you lived when He lived? Would you see what was in front of you? How many of us are ready to hear the teaching of a poor man with nothing to wear, with no food to eat, with an eagerness to cast a doubt on everything you held dear and on everything you believed in?

Would you be able to hear the teachings of a pariah while passing by him with your expensive car?

What do you think?

PS. The question is mainly targeted to people who believe, but of course atheists could have some insights on this as well. Remember: we are not discussing if Jesus existed, just if one could see his true nature if he happed to walk by Him.
I would like to say kill him because he is not the one, just like the Buddha would say to kill Buddha if you see him (as not the one you are looking for).
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Lambert wrote: I would like to say kill him
What! Again!
But, on the positive side, I suppose we'd get another bank holiday out of it.
Lacewing
Premium Member

Post by Lacewing »

My impressions:

It seems like people are all over the map in what they are capable of perceiving and doing. If this character Jesus were to arrive and announce himself, yet look completely different than the fantasized drawings, I think people would be very suspicious and crucify him AGAIN!!! Poor guy.

If he were to look like the fantasized drawings and was walking around with little lambs, that would be suspect too!

If his message was different than what is portrayed (distorted?) by the bible, again... people would shout "Imposter!"

If he somehow managed to gather the masses and their devotion... disrupting the system... the big banks and money emperors would probably bring him down. And there would probably be some people trying to rip swatches from his robes, in order to sell them on ebay.

I think for his sake, he should stay away (at least in physical form). People can't handle it. :) They're too wrapped up in their own ideas and agendas.

Yes, I do think there are people with Jesus-energy in all kinds of places right here, right now (and always have been)... and many people steamroll right past (or over) them every day. So I guess there's no reason to think that people would recognize such spirit any more fully if some Jesus character from the past came into their midst.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Would he still come from the middle east? I see him as Welch, this time.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

I think perhaps Scottish might be good this time around. It seems to work quite well for Dr Who.

Also: This may be a bit "out of left field" as they say, but could Jesus perhaps be a woman next time? That would add quite a good twist. Do the rules allow that?
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

People see Jesus in toast. They see him in clouds. This same white, non middle eastern hippie looking man. In fact, if you go to Google Images with the search terms - jesus dog bum - you will see some photos that was immature enough to laugh at. Some of us may rail at humanity but we can be hilarious :)

I don't believe much of the Bible, but if christlike figure (male or female) started to come to prominence I imagine he'd be killed in short order before he built up too much of a following, probably in an "accident" like Karen Silkwood's. He or she would never get a chance to become a household name.
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated—Gandhi.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

I did indeed look up "jesus dog bum" on google images (how could I possibly not?) and it was uncanny. It's like one of those "magic eye" pictures. You stare at a dog's bum for a while and then suddenly it jumps out. Spooky. It's got me convinced. Convinced of what, exactly, I'm not sure. But definitely convinced.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Yes, Jesus is everywhere. In this thread he's been found in the tiles of a hotel floor: http://www.democraticunderground.com/10023017377. Scroll further down the page and you'll see the most uncanny representation of Yoda in a pig's forehead:)
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated—Gandhi.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

I'm not so sure about Jesus in the floor tile. Looks more like a bear to me.

But I guess what this all shows is the amazing importance to the human brain of human faces and of pattern recognition. We see them absolutely everywhere. There seem to have been loads in the shadows of images of Mars. Anywhere where there's enough detail and texture to be able to impose a pattern by selectively picking out the details that re-enforce what we want to see. I think this kind of "faces in the fire" phenomenon is a good reminder that the pattern recognition which serves us so well in finding the order in the universe is a double-edged sword.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

I think the pattern recognition applies to the abstract too, not just the visual. In a sense the ancients saw metaphorical faces in their most feared forces of nature - the faces of deities.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Yes, absolutely. That's what I meant. We seem to look for two things in all of Nature: predictability and agency. Predictability means patterns (visual, mathematical or other patterns) and agency means looking for minds controlling everything. I suspect the search for agency in the world stems from the fact that we "grew up" having to spend most of our lives negotiating with or outwitting other conscious creatures. Other animals or other humans.

Given the similar upbringing of other similar creatures, such as other mammals, I suspect they probably see agency in the natural world too. I guess you only have to look at a cat playing to see that they think everything is alive.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Steve3007 wrote:I think perhaps Scottish might be good this time around.
"Jock MacChrist"
It doesn't sound very biblical.

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream