Proof of God

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Repoman05

Re: Proof of God

Post by Repoman05 »

So it's really just selfishness for your own expended efforts. Their well being is just a measurement by which you gauge the efficacy of your efforts. It's quite ugly once you understand it better.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

In a free country you are free to cherry-pick The Bible. Allegories are fables of abstractions, neither intended as history nor to be taken for history.

Increasing numbers of people think God is a human aim that is still undergoing becoming and probably never will be absolutely manifested. Now and again some hope breaks through like 'peak experiences' , and good work, and the artists and scientists of past times.
NickGaspar
Favorite Philosopher: Many

Post by NickGaspar »

Belindi wrote: November 13th, 2019, 6:48 am In a free country you are free to cherry-pick The Bible. Allegories are fables of abstractions, neither intended as history nor to be taken for history.

Increasing numbers of people think God is a human aim that is still undergoing becoming and probably never will be absolutely manifested. Now and again some hope breaks through like 'peak experiences' , and good work, and the artists and scientists of past times.
Its not a matter of freedom. Its all about being intellectually honest to our selves and others.
Cherry picking or any argument by selective observation is logical fallacy and a good way to increase the possibilities of being wrong.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Nick, I think we have a problem about what the words and phrases mean e.g 'cherry -picking'. Otherwise I agree with you.
NickGaspar

Post by NickGaspar »

Belindi wrote: November 13th, 2019, 10:39 am Nick, I think we have a problem about what the words and phrases mean e.g 'cherry -picking'. Otherwise I agree with you.
I understand that words don't have intrinsic meaning but common usages but as far as I know there is only one usage for this one. Maybe I 'm missing something
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

NickGaspar wrote: November 14th, 2019, 4:04 am
Belindi wrote: November 13th, 2019, 10:39 am Nick, I think we have a problem about what the words and phrases mean e.g 'cherry -picking'. Otherwise I agree with you.
I understand that words don't have intrinsic meaning but common usages but as far as I know there is only one usage for this one. Maybe I 'm missing something
I do sometimes choose the wrong phrase. By "cherry-picking" The Bible I meant seeking ideas, goodness, and wisdom wherever I can, in the absence of any respect for The Bible as supernatural authority.
The Bible is part of my literary heritage.
NickGaspar

Post by NickGaspar »

Belindi wrote: November 14th, 2019, 6:56 am
NickGaspar wrote: November 14th, 2019, 4:04 am

I do sometimes choose the wrong phrase. By "cherry-picking" The Bible I meant seeking ideas, goodness, and wisdom wherever I can, in the absence of any respect for The Bible as supernatural authority.
The Bible is part of my literary heritage.
On that case I am forced to update the definition I hold for that phrase for a good reason.
You are indeed cherry-picking but without the intention to validate the supernatural claims of the book.
In essence you are trying to record any useful claim in that book. I get it, that is not a fallacy !

Then the relevant question becomes: Why? The bible is part of your anthropological heritage and I accept it, but why is it useful to check an iron age book for wisdom and moral values and more importantly, with what principles are we going to distinguish them from the immoral and unwise claims included in that same book?
I mean, if you are not a biblical scholar and you are already in a position to recognize a moral and wise claim from immoral and unethical ones, what is the value of such an activity(outside of an anthropological study)!
Do you think that our philosophy and secular morality , after ~1.500 of study,might have missed important ideas of those books?
I my self took an online course on the anthological value of the old testament, so I can see why people are interested in the book, but I can not see why one might expect to gain wisdom and moral values from a 2000 years old document.
We have challenged, discharged or refined most if not all of our ancient declarations on wisdom and morality through actual systems which can provide objective evaluations for both of those branches of philosophy!
Prof Bulani

Post by Prof Bulani »

Deductive reasoning is structured basically as :
Premise 1: God is love (A = B)
Premise 2: love exists (B = C)
Conclusion : therefore God exists (A = C)

The form is correct. However, as many have pointed out, you have shown neither premise 1 nor premise 2 to be true.

How do you demonstrate that love exists? What definition of love are you working with? And is that your definition? (A common problem that arises with these "proofs" is that once the proof has been shown to be valid, the believer rejects their own definition of God and /or shifts it to some unrelated definition.)

Let's look at premise 1. Why should the Bible be the source of the definition of God as opposed to any other source? What basis is there to assume that the Bible contains any truth about God?

There's an interesting byproduct of taking the biblical definition of God, and specifically this one in 1 John, to prove that God exists, in that in can just as easily be used to prove that God doesn't exist :
1 John 4: 8 God is love
Exodus 34: 14 God is jealous
1 Corinthians 13: 4 love is not jealous
Therefore God is self contradictory and cannot possibly exist, based on the biblical definitions. The logic is just as sound.
Prof Bulani

Post by Prof Bulani »

An interesting thing I've noticed about discussions on which theists present arguments in an effort to prove that God exists is that they become dissatisfied with their own definition of God and invariably abandon the proof they worked so hard to demonstrate. No theist wants to believe in a God that can be proven to exist. Such a God can be defined in clear, concise and realistic terms, and while the proof may be air tight, the theist demonstrating the proof becomes disappointed with limits God must be constrained by in order to exist.

And that's the rub. Existence in reality is in itself a limit. And it's a limit theists refuse to impose on God. The very claim that God exists creates a paradox for logical theists (nothing that cognitive dissonance can't resolve, though). Claims about God imply both that the claimant knows something about God, and that God can be be defined by these claims. And again, theists are uncomfortable with the idea that God can be known and defined.

It would be actually in the best interest of theists to stop making claims about God, including claims that God exist, and attempt to follow those claims logically. It never ends well. Making claims and then running with no intention to support those claims is a better tactic. But bear in mind that claims that are asserted without reason can be likewise rejected without reason.

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream