What has God actually done wrong ?

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Sculptor1

Re: What has God actually done wrong ?

Post by Sculptor1 »

Pattern-chaser wrote: May 25th, 2023, 10:21 am
Sculptor1 wrote: May 24th, 2023, 12:51 pm Is it true there was a person called Job and that this is an accurate narrative of his life.
Yes or no?
If no, then this myth is not true.
Pattern-chaser wrote: May 25th, 2023, 8:04 am Myths don't need to be true to have value. Oddly, you even quoted me on this, an answer I'd just offered to you, at the end of your post. Look, here it is:
Pattern-chaser wrote: May 24th, 2023, 8:55 am The point of myth is not that it isn't true — some myths are, e.g., 'true' stories — but what can be learned from it. Sometimes, of course, there is nothing to be learned; a story is sometimes just a story, an entertainment. But other stories carry messages, some of them useful, others offer advice (like Aesop's fables, or Christian parables). But this topic is about God, not myth, so I'll leave my comment there.
Sculptor1 wrote: May 25th, 2023, 8:14 am Myths teach us nothing, but the false credibility of another's opinion.
So Aesop's fables have no educational value? I won't ask you about Jesus' parables, but others have found, over the years, that they have educational value too. Many fairy stories teach social values and morals, even though they are mostly concerned with unicorns. I'm sure there are many other examples.

Are you sure that "myths teach us nothing"?
Aesop is not claiming that the events are true.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Sculptor1 wrote: May 25th, 2023, 10:37 am Aesop is not claiming that the events are true.
So, when you said "myths teach us nothing", you meant that myths can teach us something, even though not everything they mention is 'true'?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Pattern-chaser wrote: May 25th, 2023, 12:48 pm
Sculptor1 wrote: May 25th, 2023, 10:37 am Aesop is not claiming that the events are true.
So, when you said "myths teach us nothing", you meant that myths can teach us something, even though not everything they mention is 'true'?
No, I meant fables are not in the same category as myths.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Belindi wrote: May 24th, 2023, 2:52 pm
Sculptor1 wrote: May 24th, 2023, 12:55 pm
Belindi wrote: May 24th, 2023, 9:24 am
Sculptor1 wrote: May 22nd, 2023, 1:51 pm

There is nothing to be learned from this myth, except to give a true rendering of it.
To do otherwise is to pretend that it is not mythical but true.

THe only thing we can learn from it is that whoever invented the story had an opinon about faith. If you shose to ignore the story because it does not match your picture of faith, then there are plenty more to chose from.
The story of Job may be complete and utter fiction as far as I know, but I can see a meaning in it. I am not particularly interested in why anyone in the twenty-first century has faith in The Bible as God's holy word, and I think of that as a question for sociologists and psychologists. I am interested in The Bible as literature.

Works of literature are sometimes reworked for the stage or film play, or have sequels and prequels added. Fiction is a way we express how the world seems to us and how it may be different.

I guess you are reading The Book of Job for its anthropological/historical source material in particular its "opinion about faith". This is also interesting .
Sadly people attach their personal opinions about a thing and try to give it credibity by selecting and reinterpreting some myth or other as if that brngs credibility to that opinion. Even more sadly there are those that are stupis enough to be taken in by such a strategy to the point where they are willing to put money in a collection plate.
Such are the follies of a weak minded civilisation
Well that is not what I do. I use myths for my own purposes , not how some priest or politician says I ought to use them.
Of course you do. We all use things that aren't real (are myths). Amazon Corp, the EU and the dollar are just as mythical (dependant on human belief for their existance) as gods and their scriptures.
"As usual... it depends."
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Pattern-chaser wrote: May 25th, 2023, 12:48 pm So, when you said "myths teach us nothing", you meant that myths can teach us something, even though not everything they mention is 'true'?
Sculptor1 wrote: May 25th, 2023, 1:49 pm No, I meant fables are not in the same category as myths.
Ah, I think I might finally have worked out what you're getting at. You are concerned that the persuasive and memorable mythical story-form might be used to peddle untruths. As an active atheist, you believe that God does not exist; to you, proclaiming the existence of God is an untruth. And so you object to a 'myth' proclaiming something you consider to be a lie.

You could've said, much more clearly, that you disapprove of myths being used to promote untruths. Then I, and anyone else who takes the trouble to follow this exchange, would've known what you meant.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Pattern-chaser wrote: May 26th, 2023, 7:40 am
Pattern-chaser wrote: May 25th, 2023, 12:48 pm So, when you said "myths teach us nothing", you meant that myths can teach us something, even though not everything they mention is 'true'?
Sculptor1 wrote: May 25th, 2023, 1:49 pm No, I meant fables are not in the same category as myths.
Ah, I think I might finally have worked out what you're getting at. You are concerned that the persuasive and memorable mythical story-form might be used to peddle untruths. As an active atheist, you believe that God does not exist; to you, proclaiming the existence of God is an untruth. And so you object to a 'myth' proclaiming something you consider to be a lie.

You could've said, much more clearly, that you disapprove of myths being used to promote untruths.
I did.
Then I, and anyone else who takes the trouble to follow this exchange, would've known what you meant.
See above.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Pattern-chaser wrote: May 26th, 2023, 7:40 am ...
A person with some opinion or other, rather than merely and honestly stating it, chooses to select some cock and bull story so has to lend it greater credence. He either selects from a range of existing myths, or invents a new one of his own, such as a fake story or parable.
Briober, or is it Broubert recently lied that she had been denied the use of contraceptives through some legislation, and the happy result was a child. No one believes the story being something made up on the spot.
Trump comes up with the "fact" that during the American War of Independence, the colonial army fought amongst the airports. Such gems might seem absurd but this is the basis of Job and many other "true" or "just-so" stories that we are polluted with as children.

I know this is all true because Socrates said this much to Plato and he agreed. In a debate between a donkey and an elephant the donkey also took the side of Socrates and the elephant was forced to agree that such things are disingenuous.
Joshua10

Post by Joshua10 »

Can anyone answer the question why anyone should believe an atheistic science that is based upon -/+…+/- half logic when even nature does not agree with this half logic.

The 4 off electromagnetic force interactions have confirmed full logic exists in nature because the 4 off electromagnetic force interactions -/-….-/+….+/-…+/+ are not the same and do not cancel out.They vibratory balance.

The electromagnetic fields were in place at the same time or before any of the multiple big bangs and big crunches contrary to what atheistic science claims

There never was a single Big Bang and there never will be a Big Crunch.Observations have definitively confirmed this.There are mature galaxies no matter how far you look back in time.

This means that the gravity theory is a myth and this why they have no idea what it is.

It’s true.Don’t let atheists loose with science that haven’t got a clue.
Dea Ann Bridegroom
Premium Member

Post by Dea Ann Bridegroom »

I believe God is perfect; therefore, he has actually done nothing wrong in his existence.
Joshua10

Post by Joshua10 »

Dea Ann Bridegroom wrote: June 12th, 2023, 9:21 pm I believe God is perfect; therefore, he has actually done nothing wrong in his existence.
Well who would want an imperfect God?
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Joshua10 wrote: June 13th, 2023, 12:07 am
Dea Ann Bridegroom wrote: June 12th, 2023, 9:21 pm I believe God is perfect; therefore, he has actually done nothing wrong in his existence.
Well who would want an imperfect God?
Essentially everyone during the heyday of polytheism. Omniscience and the concept of perfection came about relatively recently when monotheism was invented.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

LuckyR wrote: June 13th, 2023, 2:50 am Omniscience and the concept of perfection came about relatively recently when monotheism was invented.
Is that really so? I found this quote, although I'm not 100% happy with its correctness: "The oldest monotheistic religion is called Zoroastrianism because evidence of its practice dates back to 10,000 – 7,000 BC."

And Wikipedia offers this: "Quasi-monotheistic claims of the existence of a universal deity date to the Late Bronze Age, with Akhenaten's Great Hymn to the Aten from the 14th century BCE."

So monotheism seems to have been around for quite some time...?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Pattern-chaser wrote: June 13th, 2023, 9:19 am
LuckyR wrote: June 13th, 2023, 2:50 am Omniscience and the concept of perfection came about relatively recently when monotheism was invented.
Is that really so? I found this quote, although I'm not 100% happy with its correctness: "The oldest monotheistic religion is called Zoroastrianism because evidence of its practice dates back to 10,000 – 7,000 BC."

And Wikipedia offers this: "Quasi-monotheistic claims of the existence of a universal deity date to the Late Bronze Age, with Akhenaten's Great Hymn to the Aten from the 14th century BCE."

So monotheism seems to have been around for quite some time...?
It is my understanding that Zoroastrianism is dualism (the immediate precursor to monotheism).

Worship of Aten is considered the first monotheistic religion, but it didn't even last a single human lifetime, ie it was a complete failure. Judaism is an example of "local" monotheism as it doesn't have a missionary aspect and thus stayed small and insignificant. Christianity was the first successful, proselytizing religion, which is of relatively recent vintage.
Joshua10

Post by Joshua10 »

If God is perfect then how can he be imperfect?

He must allow imperfection to fulfill its part within that perfection.

How is this philosophy symmetrically balanced though other than by the formula:

Perfection/Imperfect=Perfection/Imperfection

In other words ........Perfection overlapping Imperfection.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Joshua10 wrote: June 21st, 2023, 7:45 am If God is perfect then how can he be imperfect?

He must allow imperfection to fulfill its part within that perfection.

How is this philosophy symmetrically balanced though other than by the formula:

Perfection/Imperfect=Perfection/Imperfection

In other words ........Perfection overlapping Imperfection.
Yeah, and what if gods are imperfect?

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream