What do we lose when we believe?

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Burning ghost

Re: What do we lose when we believe?

Post by Burning ghost »

Dark Matter wrote:
Scribbler60 wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

And, again, you would be wrong.
I don't think so.
Very informative! :mrgreen:
AKA badgerjelly
Whitedragon

Post by Whitedragon »

Alias wrote:
Chili wrote: Alias, are you aware of any beliefs that you have?
Sure. No faiths, though. Maybe that's why I can "tear myself away" from the god/no god argument.
Do you suppose there are tacit beliefs that you hold but may not be aware of?
It's always possible. The down-side of skepticism is that you don't get to sit on unexamined conclusions.
If God, a unicorn or the tooth fairy show up at the bottom of my garden, I'll have to reality-check both them and myself.
And how will you check them and yourself?
We are a frozen spirit; our thoughts a cloud of droplets; different oceans and ages brood inside – where spirit sublimates. To some our words, an acid rain, to some it is too pure, to some infectious, to some a cure.
Alias
Favorite Philosopher: Terry Pratchett

Post by Alias »

Whitedragon wrote:[If God, a unicorn or the tooth fairy show up at the bottom of my garden, I'll have to reality-check both them and myself.]

Them, by the same methods I would use to gather forensic evidence for a jury trial.
For myself, medical and psychological examination.
For both, whatever third-party witness statements and background information were available.
(Of course, if it were a single brief encounter, I might put it down to one aspirin too many for breakfast and just keep truckin.)
Whitedragon

Post by Whitedragon »

Alias wrote:
Whitedragon wrote:[If God, a unicorn or the tooth fairy show up at the bottom of my garden, I'll have to reality-check both them and myself.]

Them, by the same methods I would use to gather forensic evidence for a jury trial.
For both, whatever third-party witness statements and background information were available.
(Of course, if it were a single brief encounter, I might put it down to one aspirin too many for breakfast and just keep truckin.)
Does anyone possess the ability to analyse the supernatural by employing forensic methods, I would think such conventional means would prove useless. It is illogical to subject allegory and metaphor to empirical study, since it speaks to a different part of the human mind. But by all means bring your chemistry set to Sunday school or a Shakespearean play and analyse the literature, you can put every verse of every sonnet in different test tubes and see what colour it turns.
We are a frozen spirit; our thoughts a cloud of droplets; different oceans and ages brood inside – where spirit sublimates. To some our words, an acid rain, to some it is too pure, to some infectious, to some a cure.
Chili

Post by Chili »

Alias wrote:

Do you have any beliefs that can't be verified using the scientific method? ;)
Alias

Post by Alias »

Whitedragon wrote: Does anyone possess the ability to analyse the supernatural by employing forensic methods, I would think such conventional means would prove useless.
If the phenomena are impervious to physical examination, they're irrelevant to physical existence.
I am a conventional life-form. Anything that doesn't impinge on my world is irrelevant to me.
It is illogical to subject allegory and metaphor to empirical study,
Fine; I have a few skill-sets from different phases of life experience.
Where appropriate, I shall employ the methods of literary criticism.
Where appropriate, I shall use aesthetics and poetics.
I shall use comparative anthropology, astrometry, sociology, metallurgy, garment design or horticulture - whatever is appropriate -
- in any case, what I will not do is leave reason on a shelf outside.

-- Updated October 19th, 2017, 8:36 am to add the following --
Chili wrote: Do you have any beliefs that can't be verified using the scientific method?
I have no beliefs that can't be verified by some practical method available to me. You're free to call these scientific or not.
Chili

Post by Chili »

Alias wrote:I have no beliefs that can't be verified by some practical method available to me. You're free to call these scientific or not.
Do you consider it scientific to believe in other consciousnesses? Or is it merely practical?

Personally, I accept other minds, not because it is practical or scientific - I'm just going with my gut on this one.
Alias

Post by Alias »

afterthought -
But by all means bring your chemistry set to Sunday school or a Shakespearean play and analyse the literature, you can put every verse of every sonnet in different test tubes and see what colour it turns.
Funnily enough, being somewhat synesthetic, I can probably do that.
(btw - I've taught Sunday school and performed Shakespeare - A third-rate Banquo but passable Rosenkrantz.)
Whitedragon

Post by Whitedragon »

Alias wrote:afterthought -
But by all means bring your chemistry set to Sunday school or a Shakespearean play and analyse the literature, you can put every verse of every sonnet in different test tubes and see what colour it turns.
Funnily enough, being somewhat synesthetic, I can probably do that.
(btw - I've taught Sunday school and performed Shakespeare - A third-rate Banquo but passable Rosenkrantz.)
Wait a minute let me just go off topic for two seconds here, Rosenkratz is from Hamlet, I loved that play - what was quite amusing was when they asked Hamlet where Polonius was and Hamlet said at supper, not eating, but being eaten. I also know the whole monologue off by heart of "To be or not to be." I'm a huge fan of Shakespeare and know about twelve of his Sonnets. Thanks, Alias, this was a nice breather for me. :)

Okay, back on topic. Does it matter if we can prove God exists? I mean, if we could, wouldn't some people still reject him outright?
Albert Tatlock

Post by Albert Tatlock »

Whitedragon wrote:Does it matter if we can prove God exists? I mean, if we could, wouldn't some people still reject him outright?
It doesn't matter either way, if we could prove he doesn't exist the believers wouldn't stop believing.
Chili

Post by Chili »

And what of those who reject God as a "him" and prefer a female God? Are these people just being sticks in the mud?
Whitedragon

Post by Whitedragon »

Albert Tatlock wrote:
Whitedragon wrote:Does it matter if we can prove God exists? I mean, if we could, wouldn't some people still reject him outright?
It doesn't matter either way, if we could prove he doesn't exist the believers wouldn't stop believing.
I see what you did there. I was wondering where you were. :) Well, yeah, I mean, if we could prove it, I guess all that is left then is to work with the literature, using what we can to enrich our lives. But indulge me in this supposition: They say an idea can't be destroyed, the story has its power and between you and me I think that's what we're suppose to hang on to, did you see what I wrote about ideas and stories? Once an idea is formed, it has an existence of its own, especially in how it drives people to materialize and use those ideas in the physical world. I think an immortal idea is more powerful than a living being with a life span of three score years and ten?

-- Updated October 19th, 2017, 9:18 am to add the following --
Chili wrote:And what of those who reject God as a "him" and prefer a female God? Are these people just being sticks in the mud?
For what it's worth, the name, Elohim is both male and female.
Alias

Post by Alias »

Okay, back on topic. Does it matter if we can prove God exists?
God's existence only matters if its the kind of god that interacts with, or acts upon, us and our world. Proof of its existence only matters if we can interact with, or act upon it, in some way.
I mean, if we could, wouldn't some people still reject him outright?
Might do. Depends how odious he was.
Chili wrote:Do you consider it scientific to believe in other consciousnesses? Or is it merely practical?
I'm not sure what you mean by "other" and "believe in".
Do I recognize that other entities besides me are equally conscious? Yes - every organism with a functioning brain. Moreover, the continuity of living things goes back long before a brain of any kind evolved: I am directly related to planktons, just as you are. Long time, many branchings - and that makes interspecies communication sometimes difficult, but not nearly so difficult as intraspecies communication between hostile individuals. Co-operative individuals manage it quite well.
However, there is an etymological difference between "believe" and "believe in" which must be clarified before that question can be adequately answered.
Whitedragon

Post by Whitedragon »

Alias wrote:
Okay, back on topic. Does it matter if we can prove God exists?
God's existence only matters if its the kind of god that interacts with, or acts upon, us and our world. Proof of its existence only matters if we can interact with, or act upon it, in some way.
I mean, if we could, wouldn't some people still reject him outright?
Might do. Depends how odious he was.
Chili wrote:Do you consider it scientific to believe in other consciousnesses? Or is it merely practical?
I'm not sure what you mean by "other" and "believe in".
Do I recognize that other entities besides me are equally conscious? Yes - every organism with a functioning brain. Moreover, the continuity of living things goes back long before a brain of any kind evolved: I am directly related to planktons, just as you are. Long time, many branchings - and that makes interspecies communication sometimes difficult, but not nearly so difficult as intraspecies communication between hostile individuals. Co-operative individuals manage it quite well.
However, there is an etymological difference between "believe" and "believe in" which must be clarified before that question can be adequately answered.

So you say anything that doesn't have a brain can't be conscious ... space is big, some Star Trek episodes come to mind, but I guess you won't believe in that before you see it either, right? Have you watched Morgan Freeman in, "The universe alive," I think it is called?
Chili

Post by Chili »

Whitedragon wrote:For what it's worth, the name, Elohim is both male and female.
Those who don't know about the Judeo-Christian tradition, or don't care much about it - do they know "God" ?

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream