God is an Impossibility.

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Re: God is an Impossibility.

Post by Sy Borg »

Jacob10 wrote: June 21st, 2022, 3:06 pm
Atla wrote: June 21st, 2022, 12:28 pm
Jacob10 wrote: June 21st, 2022, 3:42 am The direction of the electromagnetic field flow through a bar magnet clearly produces 2 different forces in nature that when interacting produce different results.
How do you imagine this? There are 2 directions in a 1-dimensional universe, but we live in an at least 3-dimensional universe. Shouldn't then there be as many EM forces, as there are 3D directions?
There are two different magnetic forces in the universe created by electromagnetic fields.The universe is saturated with electromagnetic fields.Things spin in the universe at both macro and micro levels and this spin is caused by the electromagnetic fields.They don’t spin as a result of nonsense theories that secular scientists have dreamt up.
What "nonsense theories"? Can you name any of these theories and coherently describe why it's wrong?
Jacob10

Post by Jacob10 »

The gravity theory which is just a made up theory that came about as a result of scientists believing that natures logic is 0=1 and 1=0.They still haven’t got a clue what this gravity force is and they are the ones who invented it….lol

In other words believing that the elephants leg is identical in every respect to its trunk.

The 2 electromagnetic forces in nature are different and have been separated.

Just like black and white are different.
Jacob10

Post by Jacob10 »

The single Big Bang theory…another nonsense theory.

Matter is entering and exiting many many holes in the universe.So how could it have all entered from a single point and how can it all exit from a single point for goodness sake.

Observations are confirming the universe is not expanding uniformly and the reason is we have expansions and contractions happening all over the universe.
Astro Cat
Favorite Philosopher: Bernard dEspagnat

Post by Astro Cat »

Jacob10 wrote: June 21st, 2022, 3:42 am …..and I am struggling to understand scientist logic that makes them think that the 2 forces in nature are the same in every single aspect when clearly they are not………

The direction of the electromagnetic field flow through a bar magnet clearly produces 2 different forces in nature that when interacting produce different results.

The electromagnetic field is the common denominator for these differing forces yes.

Explain why the 4 magnetic interactions are not identical if there is just one common force.

This is a fundamental point that dictates the whole of scientific philosophy.
In what way do you think scientists think they are "the same in every single aspect?" When physicists solve problems with bar magnets, do you think they're getting incorrect answers for more than a century?

Are you saying that physicists treat north poles as south poles and south poles as north poles? What exactly is it that you're saying physicists are doing wrong? What exactly? Can you articulate it?

Can you explain why physicists and engineers are able to build electronics if they're getting something as simple as bar magnets wrong?
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool."
--Richard Feynman
Jacob10

Post by Jacob10 »

Astro Cat wrote: June 21st, 2022, 4:40 pm
Jacob10 wrote: June 21st, 2022, 3:42 am …..and I am struggling to understand scientist logic that makes them think that the 2 forces in nature are the same in every single aspect when clearly they are not………

The direction of the electromagnetic field flow through a bar magnet clearly produces 2 different forces in nature that when interacting produce different results.

The electromagnetic field is the common denominator for these differing forces yes.

Explain why the 4 magnetic interactions are not identical if there is just one common force.

This is a fundamental point that dictates the whole of scientific philosophy.
In what way do you think scientists think they are "the same in every single aspect?" When physicists solve problems with bar magnets, do you think they're getting incorrect answers for more than a century?

Are you saying that physicists treat north poles as south poles and south poles as north poles? What exactly is it that you're saying physicists are doing wrong? What exactly? Can you articulate it?

Can you explain why physicists and engineers are able to build electronics if they're getting something as simple as bar magnets wrong?
They are getting everything wrong because the 2 forces of nature are equal but opposite so not identical.As they are opposite then you can’t bring two N poles together because the electromagnetic field directions are opposite.The same with 2 S poles.

If the magnetic field directions are the same you get attractions .

These repulsion/attraction interactions are happening all the time in the universe because planets/stars and sub atomic particles are spinning electromagnets.

You can’t have a theory that only recognises attractions and completely ignores repulsions when it is obvious that the universe has both electromagnetic force attraction and repulsion’s occurring all the time at both the macro and micro levels.
Astro Cat

Post by Astro Cat »

Jacob10 wrote: June 21st, 2022, 5:08 pm They are getting everything wrong because the 2 forces of nature are equal but opposite so not identical.As they are opposite then you can’t bring two N poles together because the electromagnetic field directions are opposite.The same with 2 S poles.

These repulsion/attraction interactions are happening all the time in the universe because planets/stars and sub atomic particles are spinning electromagnets.

You can’t have a theory that only recognises attractions and completely ignores repulsions when it is obvious that the universe has both electromagnetic force attraction and repulsion’s occurring all the time at both the macro and micro levels.
You didn't answer my question: if scientists are getting magnetism so wrong, then how are they correctly solving magnetism related problems?

For instance, there are a ton of magnets in electronics, and electronics seem to work fine.

How do you propose engineers are building electronics correctly if scientists supposedly understand magnetism wrong?
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool."
--Richard Feynman
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Astro Cat wrote: June 21st, 2022, 6:13 pm
Jacob10 wrote: June 21st, 2022, 5:08 pm They are getting everything wrong because the 2 forces of nature are equal but opposite so not identical.As they are opposite then you can’t bring two N poles together because the electromagnetic field directions are opposite.The same with 2 S poles.

You didn't answer my question: if scientists are getting magnetism so wrong, then how are they correctly solving magnetism related problems?

For instance, there are a ton of magnets in electronics, and electronics seem to work fine.

How do you propose engineers are building electronics correctly if scientists supposedly understand magnetism wrong?
Cat, we can safely ignore Jacob. We have given him every chance to explain himself but he keeps just talking smack at us, sprinkled with non sequiturs. One positive is that his claims had me searching for info on huge magnetic fields in the universe, which was interesting - a silk purse from pig's ear posts :)

More relevantly, he failed to offer any reasonable explanations to justify his beliefs. I have been checking with theists online for years now. I always wanted them to be right about God existing and I just needed some indication that they could offer more than tribalism, dogma, naive claims, charm, insults and complaints - the latter usually comes after someone protests about their insults.

I looked into NDEs, thinking that this may give a clue as to something "extra" (dimensions?) in reality. However, Susan Blackmore already did that (she also hoped that it was real). After some time studying NDEs, all the evidence pointed to the experiences being brain activity, not supernatural. So many NDE accounts are coloured by people's conscious and unconscious religious beliefs - being the lens through which many patients interpreted their experiences. It's deeply subjective and, of course, when your body is dead and your brain is on its last few minutes of oxygen, subjectivity is rather important!

Mostly, when quizzing theists, I look for signs of spiritual advancement, with unusually high levels of maturity, honesty, humility, goodwill, perceptiveness and a sense of inner peace. If those qualities are not manifest, then we are dealing with someone with no special knowledge to offer, just dogma.
Astro Cat

Post by Astro Cat »

Sy Borg wrote: June 21st, 2022, 9:01 pm One positive is that his claims had me searching for info on huge magnetic fields in the universe, which was interesting - a silk purse from pig's ear posts :)
I read that Quanta (love that zine, btw) article you posted somewhere (I think it was just a few posts up). I actually haven't heard of this work, and it's funny to me how specialized science is to the point that even within the same field the left hand sometimes doesn't know what the right is doing. I have some people in my department that I'm gonna talk to and see if they know anything about primordial magnetic fields because that's pretty interesting if there's something to it.

At first I thought it would be about polarization in the CMB, but it turned out to be way more interesting!
Sy Borg wrote:Mostly, when quizzing theists, I look for signs of spiritual advancement, with unusually high levels of maturity, honesty, humility, goodwill, perceptiveness and a sense of inner peace. If those qualities are not manifest, then we are dealing with someone with no special knowledge to offer, just dogma.
100% with you there. These are good things to look for in any discussion partner to learn new things.
--Richard Feynman
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Astro Cat wrote: June 21st, 2022, 9:25 pm
Sy Borg wrote: June 21st, 2022, 9:01 pm One positive is that his claims had me searching for info on huge magnetic fields in the universe, which was interesting - a silk purse from pig's ear posts :)
I read that Quanta (love that zine, btw) article you posted somewhere (I think it was just a few posts up). I actually haven't heard of this work, and it's funny to me how specialized science is to the point that even within the same field the left hand sometimes doesn't know what the right is doing. I have some people in my department that I'm gonna talk to and see if they know anything about primordial magnetic fields because that's pretty interesting if there's something to it.

At first I thought it would be about polarization in the CMB, but it turned out to be way more interesting!
Sy Borg wrote:Mostly, when quizzing theists, I look for signs of spiritual advancement, with unusually high levels of maturity, honesty, humility, goodwill, perceptiveness and a sense of inner peace. If those qualities are not manifest, then we are dealing with someone with no special knowledge to offer, just dogma.
100% with you there. These are good things to look for in any discussion partner to learn new things.
I have had odd thoughts about the forces too, including the idea that there are only two forces - those that attract and those that repel. However, the Standard Model has gotten so many things right that it at least has to be a hint as to the ontology of it all, that the noumena is at least approaching the phenomena. How far we are from the actual reality, no one knows, but I suspect that SM has enough issues to be supplanted in the next hundred years by a better model. We are overdue for another Einstein.
Astro Cat

Post by Astro Cat »

Sy Borg wrote: June 21st, 2022, 9:38 pm I have had odd thoughts about the forces too, including the idea that there are only two forces - those that attract and those that repel. However, the Standard Model has gotten so many things right that it at least has to be a hint as to the ontology of it all, that the noumena is at least approaching the phenomena. How far we are from the actual reality, no one knows, but I suspect that SM has enough issues to be supplanted in the next hundred years by a better model. We are overdue for another Einstein.
When I was finishing undergrad and having to decide on how to specialize, the only thing that stopped me from doing more particle stuff was the lack of a quantum chromodynamics course anywhere but on the coasts (and while I try not to pinpoint where I am on the map, I guess that's safely broad to say that I don't live on the coasts).

I wonder what I'd be researching now if I went that route?
--Richard Feynman
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Astro Cat wrote: June 21st, 2022, 9:43 pm
Sy Borg wrote: June 21st, 2022, 9:38 pm I have had odd thoughts about the forces too, including the idea that there are only two forces - those that attract and those that repel. However, the Standard Model has gotten so many things right that it at least has to be a hint as to the ontology of it all, that the noumena is at least approaching the phenomena. How far we are from the actual reality, no one knows, but I suspect that SM has enough issues to be supplanted in the next hundred years by a better model. We are overdue for another Einstein.
When I was finishing undergrad and having to decide on how to specialize, the only thing that stopped me from doing more particle stuff was the lack of a quantum chromodynamics course anywhere but on the coasts (and while I try not to pinpoint where I am on the map, I guess that's safely broad to say that I don't live on the coasts).

I wonder what I'd be researching now if I went that route?
It would be interesting. Quarks are incredibly bizarre. Tiny fragments of the very early universe when it was all denser than a neutron star, that MUST hang out in threes. If you break the bond, new quarks come into being and it's back to three. And they are whizzing around each other at a significant proportion of light speed.

It's interesting, though logical enough due to habituation, that the smaller we go or the larger we go, the more mysterious and bizarre everything seems. Dawkins referred to this as "middle world" because we are only slightly more large than the smallest things than we are small compared to the largest things.
Count Lucanor
Favorite Philosopher: Umberto Eco

Post by Count Lucanor »

Jacob10 wrote: June 21st, 2022, 3:42 am
...and I am struggling to understand scientist logic
That has to be the winner as the most sensible statement you have posted so far.
The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
Jacob10

Post by Jacob10 »

Sy Borg wrote: June 21st, 2022, 9:38 pm
Astro Cat wrote: June 21st, 2022, 9:25 pm

I have had odd thoughts about the forces too, including the idea that there are only two forces - those that attract and those that repel. However, the Standard Model has gotten so many things right that it at least has to be a hint as to the ontology of it all, that the noumena is at least approaching the phenomena. How far we are from the actual reality, no one knows, but I suspect that SM has enough issues to be supplanted in the next hundred years by a better model. We are overdue for another Einstein.
Have you heard of common sense? There are two forces in the universe that are equal but opposite and therefore different.The 4 magnetic force interactions confirm this.The 4 combination interactions do not give the same result.Explain why not.You can’t,so you just dismiss it as irrelevant and in a nutshell that sums up secular science and why the gravity theory is an illusionary flowery math theory that nobody has a clue about.

The universe is saturated with electromagnetic fields that create big bangs and big crunches all the time so the single Big Bang theory is a load of nonsense and observations are confirming it.

To get electromagnetic fields you need spin to get the electrical input to get the electrical input you need electromagnetic fields.Things are spinning in the universe at the macro and micro levels i.e. stars,planets,sub atomic particles creating electromagnets that create electromagnetic forces that interact in the 4 possible ways i.e. 2 attractions and 2 repulsion’s which is all you need for push/pull force interactions which incidentally is what holds matter together and not glue as secular scientists speculate about.Glue?….really? funny.

Secondly,if your science makes no connection whatsoever to psychology and the workings of the brain/mind…..trash it…it ain’t worth the paper it is written on.Secular scientific theories make no connection in that respect.The issue science has is that it has no understanding of consciousness and it’s relevance to scientific theories.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

The reason why science exists is because commonsense is unreliable.

Commonsense does not necessarily apply to the very large, the very small, the very transient or the very long-lived. It applies to that which is common to humans at human scales. Most of reality has nothing to do with humans, though. Consider Sagan's "pale blue dot" speech:

Jacob10

Post by Jacob10 »

Sy Borg wrote: June 22nd, 2022, 1:02 am The reason why science exists is because commonsense is unreliable.

Commonsense does not necessarily apply to the very large, the very small, the very transient or the very long-lived. It applies to that which is common to humans at human scales. Most of reality has nothing to do with humans, though. Consider Sagan's "pale blue dot" speech:

In your mixed up mind that might be the case.

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream